Greyhawk Made Screendoor Worst - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-23-2002, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received my Greyhawk sample today. I immediately tried it and WOW; the screendoor was MUCH more noticable when compared with the white fabric that I'm currently using.

I'm using a PLV-60 with a 45x80 image, seating is 12 to 13' back.

Have others noticed the same? Is this a characteristic of all high contrast screens? I was planning to get some DaLite High Contrast Da-Mat samples as well to see if it has the same issue.

Although the contrasts and colors are enhanced with the Greyhawk, I cannot accept the increased screendoor.

Is there anyone out there with a PLV-60 or similar who has had success with a DIY grey screen?

Ray

Still looking for that Home Theatre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-23-2002, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bruce,
I tried the PLV-60 on a microperf GrayHawk and did not feel that the screendoor was any more noticeable. I ordered a sample of the Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision (a grey version of their ISF certified Cinema Vision with a gain of 1.1). When it arrives, we should meet and do a comparison.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-24-2002, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Scott,

Sounds like a plan. My replacement PLV-60 does not have the blooming problem. Thanks for helping me compare our projectors.

I contacted DaLite for the second time yesterday. They will be shipping good size samples of Da-Matt, and High Contrast Da-Matt. When they arrive, let's plan to spend some time comparing all the samples.

The Grayhawk sample is about 2'x2.5' which is great for evaluation.

I've not eliminated the Grayhawk, I was just surprised that it brought out the screendoor. I guess it's my 'golden eye'. Then again, my 'golden eye' is important for my job.

Ray

post #4 of 10 Old 01-24-2002, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried a sample of the High Contrast Cinema Vision and liked what I saw. It is really hard to tell from such a small sample and I have heard reports that it adds a yellowish tint to the image. Would you mind reporting back your findings after you have had a chance to view it?
post #5 of 10 Old 01-24-2002, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Will do. Hey, if we tape all of our samples together, maybe we will end up with a complete screen. I bet the tape will also help mask the screendoor. Now if we can only get Da-Lite to ship samples of their frames.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-24-2002, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Scott,

Do you have names of DaLite dealers in Ottawa? I've asked Duocom to give me a quote on a screen but I would like to get other prices as well. Duocom will also give a quote on a Draper.

Ray

post #7 of 10 Old 01-24-2002, 11:18 PM

Radar, I've got a quote from Bleekers for a HDTV Pem-Wall "High Contrast DA-Mat 58" x 104" for around $1,000.00 CDN I don't know of any others.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-24-2002, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Ray,

What may be happening is that the texture of the white fabric screen you were using is masking the appearance of the screendoor to some degree. When you switched to a smooth and flat screen surface this may have increased the perceptibility of the screen door. You could try comparing with a piece of copier paper which is relatively smooth and very matte to see if you notice the screendoor more on the paper over your original fabric.

Regards,

Kam Fung
post #9 of 10 Old 01-25-2002, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Ray,
To be honest, I have really been stuck on Stewart so I am not sure who sells Da-Lite in Ottawa. The price that Haas was quoted is well under half of the price of the Stewart GrayHawk. I would be more interested in the High Contrast Cinema Vision (gain of 1.1) than the High Contrast Da-Mat (gain of 0.8), with the former being more expensive due to its optical coating which increases gain and decreases the effects of ambient lighting. If I did get a Da-Lite, I would also be more interested in the Da-Snap frame which can be purchased with a black velvet covering.

Haas,
I have never given any thought to a Draper screen because I have only heard negative comments regarding their quality. Stewart would be my first choice followed by Da-Lite. I am now giving serious consideration to Da-Lite because of this new High Contrast Cinema Vision screen material which may be a good choice given the size of screen I need (thinking of a 58"x104" or maybe a 62"x110") and the anticipated cost savings that may be realized by comparison to a Stewart.

Ray and Haas,
If we all decide to get Da-Lite screens, then we should get together and try for a really good price based on purchasing volume.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-25-2002, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

I'm interested in that new screen material as well Scott. The samples that I'm getting are DaMat and DaMat HC. Should be here in a couple of weeks.

I'll try your suggestion Kam. I'm also picking up some blackout material this weekend to try as well.

Ray

Closed Thread Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page