Formula for figuring screen dimensions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-25-2002, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey folks. Couple of math questions I'm just not sure about, assume 16x9 for all questions:
1. What's the formula for determining what the diagonal screen size will end up being if you know the width you would like the screen to be?
2. If I know I can fit say a 73" wide screen, how do I figure the exact H it needs to be to maintain that 16x9 aspect ratio?
3. If I know how large diagonally a screen I would like, what's the math for figuring out what the exact height and width would need to be (i.e. if I want a 100" diagonal 16x9 screen, how do I figure H and W)?
4. Lastly, all the same questions above, but with a true 2.35:1 screen (as oppossed to a 16x9 1.78:1 masked for a 2.35 DVD movie)?
Thanks a lot.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-26-2002, 04:37 AM
lro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1-Formula 73/1.78=41 and if you know the hight and want to know the width then is the opposite, multiply instead of dividing thus 41x1.78=73.

2-this one is a bit complicated because you have to use The Pathagorean theorm. Your screen size is determined by seating distance and sometimes we don't get what we want. The rule is to be 1.5 times screen width,73x1.5= 9.125 feet.

3- use same formula as above 73/2.35=31.
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page