Perf Screen with Sanyo PLV60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-26-2002, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From what I've been reading, the combination of this pj and a Stewart microperf screen produces unwanted effects (moire).

I've been working with someone at Studio Experience, because I'm considering the Studio Experience Cinema13-HD, and have discussed this issue. I was told that using a different make perf screen, this problem would not occur. I don't recall him mentioning the mfr of the screen, but he did give these specs:
"size of the perf is approx. .05 mm and are 3. mm on center but off set each row".

Can anyone give me any feedback on this? I really do need a perf screen, and would love to save the $$$ I'd have to spend for an IMX lens to correct the problem.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-26-2002, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TomT
From what I've been reading, the combination of this pj and a Stewart microperf screen produces unwanted effects (moire).

I've been working with someone at Studio Experience, because I'm considering the Studio Experience Cinema13-HD, and have discussed this issue. I was told that using a different make perf screen, this problem would not occur. I don't recall him mentioning the mfr of the screen, but he did give these specs:
"size of the perf is approx. .05 mm and are 3. mm on center but off set each row".

Can anyone give me any feedback on this? I really do need a perf screen, and would love to save the $$$ I'd have to spend for an IMX lens to correct the problem.

Thanks
Tom,
With certain pj's moire artifacts can occur with perforated screens. The smaller the screen size the bigger the problem.
We have found that all of the 16 by 9 native resolution LCD and some DLP projectors will encounter moire on screens less than 96 inches wide. As the projector's pixels get magnified larger with screens over 8 feet wide, the pixel pattern relationship to the perforation pattern changes and moire will not be present with the Stewart Micoperf screens. We discourage using the Sony HT 10, HT 11, Sanyo PLV60, and clones with microperf screens less than 8 feet wide. As mentioned, an IMX lens processor can tame the moire when the above pj's are used with smaller MP screens.
Don
post #3 of 11 Old 01-26-2002, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Don,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have two questions:

1. Can you comment on the information I was given regarding this problem not being present on other manufacturers' perf screens (e.g. Da-Lite)?

2. Would a 96 inch screen be ok, with your mcroperf screens?
post #4 of 11 Old 01-26-2002, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TomT
Don,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have two questions:

1. Can you comment on the information I was given regarding this problem not being present on other manufacturers' perf screens (e.g. Da-Lite)?

2. Would a 96 inch screen be ok, with your mcroperf screens?
Tom,
1. I feel comfortable replying on questions regarding Stewart products. I feel that it would be disrespectful and unprofessional to for me to comment or debate products made by others. I will say this. All the North American screen companies, including the big three, Dalite, Draper and Stewart bring value and innovations to the Home Theater community. I always view my fellow screen manufactures with the highest regard.

2. Yes

Regards,
Don
post #5 of 11 Old 01-26-2002, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Don, thanks for your help.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-29-2002, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Don,

would a screen designed based on "size of the perf is approx. .05 mm and are 3. mm on center but off set each row", make any difference?

Can you comment on that?
post #7 of 11 Old 01-29-2002, 04:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
> As mentioned, an IMX lens processor can tame the moire when the above pj's are used with smaller MP screens.

Hello Don and many thanks for the useful information. I'm planning an upgrade to my family room and your posts have been very valuable.

When you say "tame", does that imply that the fix is not perfect?

I'm considering a 80" wide microperf with all front speakers behind the screen due to physical limitations and personal preference. Projector would be a 16:9 unit such as a Sharp, Sony or Sanyo, fitted with a IMX "processor".

Many thanks in advance and regards.

Pablo Roufogalis L.

post #8 of 11 Old 01-29-2002, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have experimented with my PLV-60 on a friends microperf GrayHawk and found that the moire artifacts are directly linked to the image size. As the image was zoomed in and out there were certain image sizes where the moire pattern would magically disappear. When the moire pattern was present (at most image sizes), it could be rendered unobtrusive by defocussing the image. The amount of defocussing required may be unacceptable to some. The best solution as Don has pointed out is the use of an IMX lens. This lens will have the side benefit of making the picture look smoother without any loss of detail.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-29-2002, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Scott, thanks. Do you know if using the IMX lens in any way puts any limitations (phsyically) on the projector? E.g., can you still zoom, focus, lens shift, etc.?
post #10 of 11 Old 01-29-2002, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have not received my IMX lens yet so I can only comment based upon second hand knowledge. My understanding is that the zoom feature is not affected. The lens shift is still useable except at the extremes. I would assume that focussing would also be unaffected, however, I have not heard any opinion on this. Once I have my IMX lens I will be able to give you my direct observations.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-03-2002, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Scott,

I look forward to your posting info on your experiences with the lens.

Thanks
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page