How to get rid of a waves on my screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-26-2009, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a 120" screen, and it has waves that tend to bend towards the center. It's incredibly distracting. I bought it online, very cheap, in a small Korean town where I live. It was hard enough just to get it, so if there's a way I can fix the waves without returning it or complaining to these people who only speak Korean and not English, it would save me a lot of time and trouble. Also, being in this town, I do not have the traditional tools available in shopping malls, like steamers, or the special fabrics for screen that could be purchased at craft or hardware stores.

With that sad, is there any DIY fix for getting waves out of the screen? It's a manual pull down. I notice if a stretch it taught on either the left or right sides, it will straighten out. But what is the best method to keep it taught without making it immovable later? I'm thinking I can use double sided tape to stick it taught to the wall, and then cover the tape with plastic if it needs to be rolled up later? I'm sorry for all the noob questions and ideas. I'd appreciate any help, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-27-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If it is a nontensioned screen there is not much you can do...nature of the beast. What kind of screen is it?
post #3 of 13 Old 02-27-2009, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Hrm, not sure truthfully, just some korean brand - they don't offer much around here, had to get a friend to order one for me online. Cost about $60, so that should tell you a bit about the quality. I'm assuming it's non-tensioned, but is there anyway I can verify this? If worst comes to worst, think it would be OK to just use the double-sided tape idea to tape it to the wall taught enough to get rid of the waves? Ghetto huh?
post #4 of 13 Old 02-27-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I guarantee it is non-tensioned. But, you can tell by simply if there are wires guides down each side.

That is an issue caused by bowing of the roller. Nothing that can be done (probably a thin roller so the weight of the fabric in conjunction with pulling on down on it caused the issue.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-27-2009, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so it seems I'm SOL, I might as well tape it to the wall right? At least this way I can get a somewhat flatter taught looking screen that'll be better than the hell I have now. Thanks for all the advice!
post #6 of 13 Old 03-02-2009, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That might work. On occassion slightly INCREASING the weight on the ends of the bottom of the screen can help (although it really depends on the severity of the roller sag/waves.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-02-2009, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice Jason. I ended up returning it, it was unbearably bad, I don't think I could have possibly fixed it as much as needed. Crappy quality for ya... I'll go for a more expensive one in hopes that I'll get luckier this time. Cheers!
post #8 of 13 Old 03-02-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spixe View Post

Thanks for all the advice Jason. I ended up returning it, it was unbearably bad, I don't think I could have possibly fixed it as much as needed. Crappy quality for ya... I'll go for a more expensive one in hopes that I'll get luckier this time. Cheers!

You mentioned taping it to the wall... Can you go with a fixed screen? Then you would just need white paint and no particularly special DIY tools Good luck!
post #9 of 13 Old 03-02-2009, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edan View Post

You mentioned taping it to the wall... Can you go with a fixed screen? Then you would just need white paint and no particularly special DIY tools Good luck!

I wish I could do that actually, but living in Korea, without being able to speak the language, I wouldn't have a clue what kind of paint to buy or wear to find it. Also, the wall here is wall-papered, and has an odd pattern/texture on it. So simply waiting won't be able to make it a smooth/flat service I would need, otherwise I'd love that option. I have a white wall, watching cartoons or what not on it is just fine with the texture, but any kind of sharp movie is blurred and a bit annoying, so I figured a screen was my only option. I'm open to suggestions though
post #10 of 13 Old 03-03-2009, 05:54 AM

What about making a frame and covering that in screen material. You mentioned that your screen was cheap. You could have used the material from that. Finish the edges with some black felt, job done

Graham
post #11 of 13 Old 03-03-2009, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spixe View Post

Well good that you could return it! Take care!
post #12 of 13 Old 03-03-2009, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips guy, I'll be prepared for this next round now, either that or I'll be back, haha. Regards
post #13 of 13 Old 03-03-2009, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Welcome!
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page