Carada CIH Masking System Anticipation Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2010, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So, Mike, did you order one of the CIH Masquerade systems?

We're looking forward to the Super Bowl party at our place. :tonguewaggle:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Giles View Post

Anyone wanting a Masquerade CIH before the SuperBowl would have to order it in the next day or two. After that we couldn't promise anything.

David Giles
Carada, Inc.

David -

Any word on a Carada 4-way masking system?

Mike
Old 01-23-2010, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD in Ohio View Post

So, Mike, did you order one of the CIH Masquerade systems?

We're looking forward to the Super Bowl party at our place. :tonguewaggle:

No not yet.

Mike
Old 01-23-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

David -

Any word on a Carada 4-way masking system?

Mike

We don't have a 4-way masking system on the drawing board. Thanks for asking though!

David Giles
Carada, Inc.

WWW.CARADA.COM

What image do YOU want to project?
Old 01-23-2010, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Giles View Post

We don't have a 4-way masking system on the drawing board. Thanks for asking though!

David Giles
Carada, Inc.

Argh!

I watched "Howl's Moving Castle" with the kids recently and the aspect ratio seemed non 16:9 and I didn't feel like jacking with the lens shift or zoom.

Thanks for the info though.

Mike
Old 02-10-2010, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

FYI (from the Official Carada Screen Thread -- AVS):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

Where did you get the matte-black foam core panels ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_breeze View Post

I simply got them at Aaron Bros. frame store; had them cut to my custom measurements, and all the panels I needed (for 1.85:1 and 1.33:1) cost me about $14. Love 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Bittle View Post

Aaron Bros. looks to be like Michael's if you have that in your area instead. http://www.michaels.com/framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Bittle View Post

Probably so. We mailed that to you on Feb 5 as you requested. But the weather has been fierce since then. Hopefully it will be there soon.

I'm waiting to see some pics.
Would be interesting to see for $14.

Mike
Old 03-19-2010, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay guys I finally took some pictures of my Masquerade. The pictures aren't very good. My camera is pretty old, and these were the best images I could get. I tried different settings, but these were the ones that came out the best. My screen is 54 inches high by 129.5 inches wide 2.40:1 AR. Also if anyone knows how to insert pics on a thread without opening them up in a jpeg file let me know, I couldn't figure out how to do it.
LL
LL
LL
Old 03-20-2010, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay5298 View Post

Okay guys I finally took some pictures of my Masquerade. The pictures aren't very good. My camera is pretty old, and these were the best images I could get. I tried different settings, but these were the ones that came out the best. My screen is 54 inches high by 129.5 inches wide 2.40:1 AR. Also if anyone knows how to insert pics on a thread without opening them up in a jpeg file let me know, I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Cool.
Thanks.
Your pics look like some of my HT pics.
You might try using a tripod if it is a low light pic.

Mike
Old 03-20-2010, 10:46 AM

Glad to see you got it installed, Jay. Pretty nifty system, isn't it?

BTW, to embed the pictures:
- Upload the images to Photobucket
- In the Album view, mouse over the desired picture
- Near the bottom you'll see a box with "IMG Code"; left-click to select that field, then right-click and copy the contents
- Paste into your message here on the forum
Old 03-21-2010, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Glad to see you got it installed, Jay. Pretty nifty system, isn't it?

BTW, to embed the pictures:
- Upload the images to Photobucket
- In the Album view, mouse over the desired picture
- Near the bottom you'll see a box with "IMG Code"; left-click to select that field, then right-click and copy the contents
- Paste into your message here on the forum

I love the masking system. I really makes a difference when watching 16x9 content. It was pretty easy to install as well. The guys at Carada are very friendly and professional. Thanks for the tip on how to upload images. I might try to take some screenshots soon.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I don't know if people have seen the African Queen restoration thread yet (link), but the aspect ratio is 1.33:1.
It may be that more non-2.35-2.40:1 movies are being restored and available now.

Looks like I'm buying a play set that costs more than the masking system, so my Carada CIH purchasing is further on hold.

Mike

*EDIT*
And now we have the AVS review of The African Queen
Old 03-21-2010, 06:43 PM

I've been waiting for the release of African Queen for a long while, Mike. I just noticed the release and ordered it on Amazon. Then yesterday I saw the review here on AVS - now I can't wait to see the restoration!

Too bad about the further wait on the Masquerade. What kind of a play set are you buying -- something for the kids?

Quote:

I don't know if people have seen the African Queen restoration thread yet (link), but the aspect ratio is 1.33:1.
It may be that more non-2.35-2.40:1 movies are being restored and available now.

Looks like I'm buying a play set that costs more than the masking system, so my Carada CIH purchasing is further on hold.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I've been waiting for the release of African Queen for a long while, Mike. I just noticed the release and ordered it on Amazon. Then yesterday I saw the review here on AVS - now I can't wait to see the restoration!

Too bad about the further wait on the Masquerade. What kind of a play set are you buying -- something for the kids?

Brad/HD in Ohio -

Cool.

I was purusing my unwatched BR collection tonight as prepping the gear for "Planet 51" for the kids and also noticed that Casablanca is AR 1.33:1, so I think we'll see some more in the future.
(I also think Pinnochio and Snow White are 1.33:1)

Kids playset will be a Rainbow Play Systems.

Mike
Old 03-24-2010, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Old 04-01-2010, 08:16 AM

I must say, I would love one of these systems. If the price was the same as the old horizontal I would probably buy it, but I just can't justify paying the same for masking that I paid for my projector and sound system combined.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroveStud View Post

I must say, I would love one of these systems. If the price was the same as the old horizontal I would probably buy it, but I just can't justify paying the same for masking that I paid for my projector and sound system combined.

Understandable.

But I see this as more of an "investment" in the system, insofar as it's an item that stays for many years as a bedrock to the system, while you may change other gear. Sort of like when you are doing a basement reno. A lot of people don't want to take the added financial hit of lowering the basement floor to get a more "normal" and inviting feeling of height. But it seems everyone who does make that initial investment thanks goodness they did, as it makes a real difference to the feel of the basement and never stops paying off.

That's how I view my masking system. It feels like the "finishing touch" in terms of achieving a cinematic experience, I use it all the time, and will continue to even as I may update other equipment through the years.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Yup, totally understand. That being said, it does make a VERY noticeable difference when viewing content that doesn't fill the screen. Even with an RS-20 and a total bat-cave, masking makes a huge difference when watching non-scope content in our theater. Well worth the investment, I believe.

Rich makes a very good point. Our masking system will outlast all of the other gear going forward...
Old 04-02-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

@ David or others -

How "permanent" is installation for the CIH masking system?
That is if you move and want to take it with you, how big of a deal would that be to un-install and re-install?

Thanks.

Mike
Old 04-04-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:

How "permanent" is installation for the CIH masking system?
That is if you move and want to take it with you, how big of a deal would that be to un-install and re-install?

It would a simple matter of reversing the installation steps, Mike. No big deal at all to uninstall and move to a new location.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:36 AM

I keep coming back to this and considering it. I guess one of the things that is preventing me from going for it is that it locks me in to a size. In my current setup I'm limited to a 96" screen. If I move in the future, do I want to be limited to a 96" screen even if I would have room for a larger one? That's my biggest concern right now. I'm definitely going to have some masking system, but whether that is a carada, a DIY or something else remains to be seen.
Thanks to everyone for their insights and reviews, it's been very helpful.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It would a simple matter of reversing the installation steps, Mike. No big deal at all to uninstall and move to a new location.

Thanks.

Quote:

I keep coming back to this and considering it. I guess one of the things that is preventing me from going for it is that it locks me in to a size. In my current setup I'm limited to a 96" screen. If I move in the future, do I want to be limited to a 96" screen even if I would have room for a larger one? That's my biggest concern right now. I'm definitely going to have some masking system, but whether that is a carada, a DIY or something else remains to be seen.
Thanks to everyone for their insights and reviews, it's been very helpful.

I believe the masking system is screen size specific, so if you plan on getting a bigger screen soon, I wouldn't get one.

Mike
Old 05-07-2010, 10:12 PM

About a week ago, after alot of reading on various screeens to buy, i decided to purchase a Carada screen, being that everyone gave awsome reviews of the customer service provided by Carada.

The following is my experience with Carada:

First i ordered a 110" Precision screen 1:78 to 1 (16x9) with a B/W screen, which i charged to my credit card (CC). The next day I continued to read this thread and came to the conclusion that i should spend alittle more money and get a Criterion frame instead, just so that the frame would look more appealing when not in use, being that it will be hung in a living room which is used even when not watching movies/HDTV.

So I called Carada and spoke with Rex, and advised him if i could make the change from the precision to Criterion frame (I felt kinda bad about doing that, being that i believe all frames are made to order and they might have already started building the precision one). But i was put at ease when Rex replied "It's easier Done than Said." The price of the screen was adjusted through my CC and i was a happy camper.

Well, the next day came along and i showed my wife the Criterion screen that i now had on order. She really liked the thicker frame of it, being that the screen would be the main focal point of the wall. But then it happened, she pointed at the Masquerade frame on computer screen and told her what it did and how much prettier the wall would look with the 6 1/4" frame. I told her what the price was and she said. "why dont you use your tax return money and get that instead?"

I almost had a heart attack right then and there and quickly contacted Carada for another change in the order, before my wife had a chance to rethink her decision. This time i contacted David and he laughed and told me that there was no problem what so ever in making the change, which now was going to be a 114" Masquerade system (i threw in about 4 more inches in screen size since i was going to pay a larger amount of money and didint want to feel the screen was too small in the future).

I have not received the screen Masquerade system yet being that i ordered it a week ago, and i think the Masquerade system takes about 2 weeks to make. I will be posting an update of how the assembling and hanging process went and my opinions on the system. If its half as good as the customer support Carada provides, than im sure i will be extremely pleased with it.

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to show what outstanding Customer support this company has. I actually emailed David at night after business hours on one occasion, and i got a response from him that same night. His emails must be forwarded to his phone or something like that.

............Julio
Old 05-08-2010, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog93 View Post

About a week ago, after alot of reading on various screeens to buy, i decided to purchase a Carada screen, being that everyone gave awsome reviews of the customer service provided by Carada.

First i ordered a 110" Precision screen 1:78 to 1 (16x9) with a B/W screen, which i charged to my credit card (CC). The next day I continued to read this thread and came to the conclusion that i should spend alittle more money and get a Criterion frame instead, just so that the frame would look more appealing when not in use, being that it will be hung in a living room which is used even when not watching movies/HDTV.

So I called Carada and spoke with Rex, and advised him if i could make the change from the precision to Criterion frame (I felt kinda bad about doing that, being that i believe all frames are made to order and they might have already started building the precision one). But i was put at ease when Rex replied "It's easier Done than Said." The price of the screen was adjusted through my CC and i was a happy camper.

Well, the next day came along and i showed my wife the Criterion screen that i now had on order. She really liked the thicker frame of it, being that the screen would be the main focal point of the wall. But then it happened, she pointed at the Masquerade frame on computer screen and told her what it did and how much prettier the wall would look with the 6 1/4" frame. I told her what the price was and she said. "why dont you use your tax return money and get that instead?"

I almost had a heart attack right then and there and quickly contacted Carada for another change in the order, before my wife had a chance to rethink her decision. This time i contacted David and he laughed and told me that there was no problem what so ever in making the change, which now was going to be a 114" Masquerade system (i threw in about 4 more inches in screen size since i was going to pay a larger amount of money and didint want to feel the screen was too small in the future).

I have not received the screen Masquerade system yet being that i ordered it a week ago, and i think the Masquerade system takes about 2 weeks to make. I will be posting an update of how the assembling and hanging process went and my opinions on the system. If its half as good as the customer support Carada provides, than im sure i will be extremely pleased with it.

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to show what outstanding Customer support this company has. I actually emailed David at night after business hours on one occasion, and i got a response from him that same night. His emails must be forwarded to his phone or something like that.

............Julio

Wow.
Great post.
Great wife.

I look forward to your impressions -- and pictures of the setup.
What are the dimensions of your room, projector, etc.?

Mike
Old 05-08-2010, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

This is a very exciting item!

It's critical (to me) that I can jog the masks (back & forth) into various positions for any desired width. I watch a lot of older films (and newer) and they can have some pretty odd aspect ratios.

I've noticed on my 2:40 CCW screen (120" wide) my side bars can really vary in width. Sometimes they are 13½"(Hollow Man), 14½" (Spiderman), 16½"(Terror Of The Tongs), 17¼" (The Earth Dies Screaming), 25" (1933 King Kong), 25¾" (1953 War Of The Worlds)

Thanks for starting this thread Mike

I just re-read this post.

I watched "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" (1954, DVD) with my kids last night.

I believe the AR is 2.55 : 1 (anamorphic) (IMDB link).
I probably could have played with zoom a little or something, but a little nudge on the top/bottom with a 4-way masking system really would have gotten rid of those annoying black bars.

Anyway...

Mike
Old 05-08-2010, 11:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:

............Julio

Great story. But believe it or not, your story doesn't approach what I put them through. They stuck with me over countless emails and changes for something like a year! And they delivered just what I wanted in the end.
Carada's the best. Great product too. I have their original Masquerade masking system and absolutely love it.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Wow.
Great post.
Great wife.

I look forward to your impressions -- and pictures of the setup.
What are the dimensions of your room, projector, etc.?

Mike

My room is about 17' x 20'. Main seating position is about 15.5' from the screen. I do not have a dedicated HT room, so this setup is in a large family room which has alot of windows, although all have plantation shutters that can cut out sunlight. But do to the fact that it is in a highly used living space area, there are always lights on in the surrounding area and therefore only completely dark if the wife and i are both sitting down for a movie.

As a result of this i needed a projector with very high lumen output so that i can watch HDTV while she's running around the house doing her thing. So i opted for a crossover business/HT projector (Optoma tx1080), it has 1080P 16x9 native resolution/ratio with 3600 lumens. Athough it doesnt have the extremly high contrast ratios of other dedicated HT pj's, which is only really worth while in a completely dark room, it has aswome lumen power that enables me to watch TV and or movies with the lights on in the surrounding areas, heck i can even have the lights on in the immediate area of the room and still get a good pic. For night viewing i need to put the lamp on economy mode and movie setting for it to not be so bright.

Hopfully ill win the lotto someday or actually make a stock investment that goes up instead of down so that i can have an dedicated HT room. But i think would still have a PJ in my living room because with these high lumen projectors, you get an awsome pic even with the ambient light.

only thing im bummed about is i have in order a 114" screen which on the carada site is 99.4" wide, and due to my projector throw capabilities i can only get it far back enough to have a 98.4" wide screen. I hope the 1/2 inch on each side not filled in wont be extremely noticable when watching.

Can anyone do me a favor if they have a Carada screen, and measure the width of the viewable area and compare it to the demensions on the Carada.com site to see if its accurate. My current screen (still waiting for Masquerada system) is a 106" screen that is actually 1/2" less wide than described when i purchased it (in my case now that would be a good thing)

Julio.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:

............Julio

Julio,

Nice post. I had a similar VERY good experience working with Carada when we bought one of the earliest CIH Masquerade systems they sold. They detected a minor problem with the then-new shipping container *after they shipped the sytem* and dropped me a note to warn me that I *might* detect a problem. Classy -- most suppliers would have shrugged and waited to see if they got a warranty claim. Not Carada.

As it turned out, the problem was very minor and easily corrected at my end. Regardless, Carada insisted on providing me with a not-insignificant amount "for my troubles". That's how to gather Customers For Life. I'm now one of those.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:

My room is about 17' x 20'. Main seating position is about 15.5' from the screen. I do not have a dedicated HT room, so this setup is in a large family room which has alot of windows, although all have plantation shutters that can cut out sunlight. But do to the fact that it is in a highly used living space area, there are always lights on in the surrounding area and therefore only completely dark if the wife and i are both sitting down for a movie.

As a result of this i needed a projector with very high lumen output so that i can watch HDTV while she's running around the house doing her thing. So i opted for a crossover business/HT projector (Optoma tx1080), it has 1080P 16x9 native resolution/ratio with 3600 lumens. Athough it doesnt have the extremly high contrast ratios of other dedicated HT pj's, which is only really worth while in a completely dark room, it has aswome lumen power that enables me to watch TV and or movies with the lights on in the surrounding areas, heck i can even have the lights on in the immediate area of the room and still get a good pic. For night viewing i need to put the lamp on economy mode and movie setting for it to not be so bright.

Hopfully ill win the lotto someday or actually make a stock investment that goes up instead of down so that i can have an dedicated HT room. But i think would still have a PJ in my living room because with these high lumen projectors, you get an awsome pic even with the ambient light.

only thing im bummed about is i have in order a 114" screen which on the carada site is 99.4" wide, and due to my projector throw capabilities i can only get it far back enough to have a 98.4" wide screen. I hope the 1/2 inch on each side not filled in wont be extremely noticable when watching.

Can anyone do me a favor if they have a Carada screen, and measure the width of the viewable area and compare it to the demensions on the Carada.com site to see if its accurate. My current screen (still waiting for Masquerada system) is a 106" screen that is actually 1/2" less wide than described when i purchased it (in my case now that would be a good thing)

Julio.

Check this out for Customer Service. Today i received a private email from Rex answering my question i put up on this forum about the screen width accuracy of the Carada screens, because i was worried about having gotten to big of a screen and not being able to fill it up. The impressive thing is i never called or emailed Carada with this worry of mine and just posted it on the AVS Forums instead (yes i was embarrased to call them and make another change).

But it seems Rex was reading the forums and saw my post and sent me a personal email which i copy/pasted below for you all to see.

"Hi Julio, I saw your post on AVS and that no one has really answered you yet. Let me try to help you with this. Our production tolerances are 1/32. So when we quote that 99.4 viewing width it will be within 0.03125 of that. Very accurate. If you can only get a 98.4 image out of the projector it isn't going to fill the screen.

Another thing is, if you are measuring your image on the wall, that doesn't account for the approximately 2-2.25 that the screen surface will be off the wall and that much closer to the projector making the image slightly smaller. I don't recommend that you push the image size to the maximum anyway. That won't give you any wiggle-room for zoom for minor adjustments and corrections you may want to make initially and down the road.

Fortunately it is very easy for us to customize the size for you or simply bump down to the next size. If you want to get on the safe side with the size, I might recommend that you back the screen/Masquerade size down to a 110 diagonal with a 96 viewing width. That way you can be sure to fill the screen but still have a little room for adjustments as needed.

We barely started on your Masquerade and stopped when I saw your post here. We can easily make that change to your order if you like. It isn't a problem, probably something you really should do and again, easier done than said!.

Just let me know how you want to proceed. Have a great evening Julio!

Rex Bittle
Carada, Inc.

Being that i did not contact them personally, he did not have to respond to me being that i would likely get a smaller screen which would reduce the purchase price and possible profit for them. Just the fact that he did contact me shows that customer happiness with thier end product is what is important to Carada. If anyone is sitting on the fence debating on purchasing from Carada or another company, all i can say is there is no way any other company would be as flexible, understanding, and truly wanting to make you content with your screen instead of just selling you a product to make money.

Oh and if your wondering, i went down to a 111" Masquerade screen to give me some wiggle room. So yes, i did make another change. LOL.

If any of you are thinking why did i go with 114" in the first place is because projector central calculator indicated that my projector needed to be 15' 4" distance from lens to screen and i actually have 15' 9". But it seems their calculator wasnt very accurate for my projector and even with the extra 5 inches in distance that i have i still wouldnt be able to fill the screen completely.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Added...

Potential Competition for the Carada CIH
CIH masking
- Somis CIH masking system - AVS link - $1490 (120" diagonal w/base motor)
--- Somis - link - http://www.somissystems.com/product_...&products_id=1

*EDIT*
- Looks like motor version not available until July 2010
- Not somfy motor (as in Carada)
- See more of my questions in the Somis thread (link above).
Competition and choices is a good thing for the consumer...
Old 05-21-2010, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I was re-reading my post #1 in this thread when I was originally noting information for the "anticipated" (ie, pre-release) Carada CIH masking system.

I saw this:
(bold added)

“Not a 4-way masking system has FOUR masking panels - two horizontal masks for masking top and bottom black bars and two vertical masks for masking side black bars (Stewart's $25K Director's Choice system is a good example).
A 4-way masking system isn't necessary for native 2.35:1/2.40:1 screens (unless you absolutely INSIST on being able to mask the top/bottom black bars that you would encounter on the TINY handful of films on the market that are wider than 2.40:1; and I'm not aware of ANY company that makes a "scope" system with 4-way masking).
4-way systems are typically made for 16:9 screens, although they can be used in custom setups similar to what Rich Harkness is planning (2.05:1 screen with a horizontal Masquerade for masking top/bottom black bars and motorized curtains for masking side black bars).”

Is it STILL true that no company makes a 2.35:1/2.40:1 4-way masking system?

There are a handful of movies that have wider than 2.40:1 that have some small black bars on top/bottom.
(eg - Sleeping Beauty (2.55 in at least one AR I believe - link and on Blu-ray - link), etc...)

Mike