projector prices? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-02-2002, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Location: In the Theater, at the AV store, on this forum, or asleep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don’t know much about the screens or projectors but I wanted to know basic price ranges of projectors, I wouldn’t need anything super huge, so would it even be worth it? Is there projectors out there that look good and run less then 2K?

Thanks for your info

-Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-02-2002, 02:42 PM
EC
AVS Special Member

It depends on what projectors you are looking for (CRT, DLP, LCD, D-ILA). Kind of like asking what is the price range of a car. It can be a Yugo or it can be a Ferrari or something in between.

Best to check the classifieds in this forum. Something less than 2k - most likely an old CRT but it will be a beast (physically large) and not very bright so you will need to do some light control. Do a search in the CRT and Digital forums on this site and you will find more information than you would ever want.

You will need to decide what works best for you (your preferences and environment) as different projector technologies each have their pros and cons.

As for screens again price is widely varied. A DIY screen can cost next to nothing or a Stewart Screen (the Ferrari's of screens) can cost in the thousands.

Eric Chong
My HT Pictures
post #3 of 3 Old 02-04-2002, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

At 2k you are limited to a few options..

1) SVGA Digital ( LCD/DLP ) projector. These really suck, most of them has poor contrast rates as well as the constant problem with black level in digital PJ.

2) B stock XGA ( nec lt150 ) or used. This would blow all of your budger in one componient and you would not even have a screen.

3) Their is the possibility of some newer Digital PJ down the road that might be easier to use and cheaper ( with lower resolution ). Keep an eye on the panasonic TH-AE100.

4) Used CRT. If you have a progressive DVD player you could get almost any 5.5 or 7" used CRT that scans to 32khz and you would be set for less than 500. Next up would be a unit that scanned to at least 36khz. From there you would look for digital convergance, larger tubes, and lower hours on the units. Things to remeber when looking for CRTs.

a) Buy from a reputable dealer or take your chances. CRT's can be permenetly damaged from abuse.
b) Read up on all of the diffrent models.
c) Must have a light controled room
d) will probably need a HTPC to get the best PQ
e) More worj to install/setup

5) Screw this whole projector idea and get a nice RPTV with much fewer hassles.

Nice thing with the CRT part is that you have options. I would look into basic units like the sony 1031q ( scans to 36khz, analog $500 or less ) or Sony 127x units ( Digital convergance 75khz, 7" tubes, 500-1500 based on condition of unit ). Contact curt palme and get put on the price list that he distributes for his used projectors that he sells.

Cheers,
Eric

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page