Elite Cinetension2 vs. Focupix TensionFlat ... thoughts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 05-21-2009, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The price points on these two screens are very similar (the Cinetension2 price drops once it's in your cart and after shipping the two screens cost about the same from different vendors).

Any thoughts on build quality, material, etc?

Here's the Cinetension2:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=620219&is=REG

Here's the Focupix:
http://www.htdepot.com/Focupix_Tensi...xt169s-106.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-22-2009, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 23 Old 05-22-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I believe that I read that the Focupix screens are a little smaller than advertised so you may want to look at their site for that info. I got an Elitescreen and an Amazon apphiliate had the best pricing. Projector People matched the price (a forum sponsor). And let me tell you if you have a problem with an Elitescreen they are a pain to deal with but if you buy from Projector People they will work it out for you.
post #4 of 23 Old 05-28-2009, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

I believe that I read that the Focupix screens are a little smaller than advertised so you may want to look at their site for that info. I got an Elitescreen and an Amazon apphiliate had the best pricing. Projector People matched the price (a forum sponsor). And let me tell you if you have a problem with an Elitescreen they are a pain to deal with but if you buy from Projector People they will work it out for you.

Correct on size of Focupix screens for certain series of their screens, but their tensioned screens are listed with the actual (viewable) size.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #5 of 23 Old 06-24-2009, 10:50 AM

I have the same question too. Anyone compared them?
post #6 of 23 Old 02-20-2011, 01:07 AM
IPT

Liked: 11
I'm bumping this from the shadows of the past. Maybe since a lot of time has past more people have made purchases and will have something to contribute. It seems to me that on the lower to mid range of Motorized and tensioned screens these are the main two options. The Elite is about 30% more $$ and has a gain of 1.1 where as the Focupix is rated at 1.4 (I take that with a grain of salt but it should be a little brighter).

So, anyone have either of these screens, or compared them? If so I would be interested in your thouts. If you looked at them and choose otherwise I'd like to hear about that too.
post #7 of 23 Old 02-24-2011, 02:56 PM
krs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
I'm bumping this from the shadows of the past. Maybe since a lot of time has past more people have made purchases and will have something to contribute. It seems to me that on the lower to mid range of Motorized and tensioned screens these are the main two options. The Elite is about 30% more $$ and has a gain of 1.1 where as the Focupix is rated at 1.4 (I take that with a grain of salt but it should be a little brighter).

So, anyone have either of these screens, or compared them? If so I would be interested in your thouts. If you looked at them and choose otherwise I'd like to hear about that too.
We're in the same quandary, IPT, and I'd been leaning toward the Elite versions until I saw one of your queries mentioning the Focupix.

I just wanted to add that the Elite Cinetension2 is available with a 1.8 gain surface that they call PowerGain as well as the 1.1 you mentioned. Grey is also available for that model.

The gain factor has only just added to my confusion as there's an ebay seller offering the size I have in mind at a very attractive price (well under $400.) but only in the PowerGain version.
post #8 of 23 Old 02-24-2011, 04:28 PM
IPT

Hey krs - yeah, I would think more poeple than us have looked at these options. They seem to be the two runners in the ~ $1K range for a tensioned motorized screen. Maybe other will chime in on what swayed them one way or another ... but this thread hasn't seemed to have gotton much love .

I got a high gain sample from Da Lite and my issue with it is the off axis viewing. Since this isn't a dedicated theater there will be off axis viewing. Now my girl and are are the main viewers and we'll be dead center but still with the higher gains the drop off for them off to the side will be dramatic. I'm thinking the 1.4 of Focupix is a good balance. From what I am reading, the Elite though tensioned may not be adjustable after the fact. That seems to be a negative IMO, but still would like to hear from others. The Focupix Tab Tension just seemed like a cheep alternative but the more I look into it and read the more it seems to be a strong contender!

Hopefully some others will chime in.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-24-2011, 05:00 PM
krs

I think it's odd that tension wouldn't be adjustable too and would like a look at the tensioning mechanism before I could accept the inability.

I've got a Mitsu HC6500 coming and am going to have to mount it between 10 and 12 feet from the screen. Because of the relative closeness I'd wonder about a screen hotspot created by the reflected projection light if using a gain screen. It's getting kinda' frustrating to be buying all of this stuff without trying any parts that interact.

I'm going to be using the screen in front of a sliding door closet and projecting to the wall won't be possible so I'm getting close to deciding to just buy a manual pulldown non-tensioned screen as a setup aid, just considering it's approx. $100. price as training costs.

HTDepot.com sells reconditioned screens as well as a full line of the Focupix screens. Seems like good pricing throughout the site (I've got it on another tab right now, exploring).
post #10 of 23 Old 02-25-2011, 12:44 AM
IPT

thought also about making the pull down purchase to evaluate. I live in Alaska though, the shipping alone would be twice the cost of the screen. The Elite would be about $400 more but allow me to go with 110". The focupix would put me at 106". Not a deal braker, but makes me think.

Are you considering the 1.4 gain of the Focupix to be high? I don't know much about any of this but that doesn't seem that high, nor that distance that close that it would hotspot. Then again I am a total novice. If you do decide to go the test route I would be anxious to hear your thoughts. I figure either one of these has to be better than the sheet we're watching on! Though it is sort of drab it still doesn't look all that bad. Sheet for sure helped us choose the size.

I still can't believe that with nearly 2000 views we are the only ones posting .
post #11 of 23 Old 02-25-2011, 04:53 AM
krs

Quote:

I still can't believe that with nearly 2000 views we are the only ones posting .

They're probably laughing at us..

My projector is on it's way UPS and should be here next week so I think I'll wait for it and set it up to shoot at a wall just to get a feel for how it'll work in it's ultimate location.

We're going to repaint the room with reflections in mind; I haven't chosen a mount; I only have a partial sound system answer for the new setup, so I'd better relax about the screen for a little while.

Oh, I have no idea whether the 1.4 gain screen would hotspot in this situation, but it seems that the risk exists with any gain screen, depending on the overall installation. I think gain screens are best at long ranges.
post #12 of 23 Old 02-25-2011, 10:35 AM
IPT

LOL - yeah, maybe they are.

Well, I have been using a sheet so far since my wall is already black and has windows on it. The image is suprisingly not that bad. Obviously it could be a lot better but this process was invaluable for me regarding learning about what size screen to go with. Might want to try it if the wall doesn't work out.
post #13 of 23 Old 02-26-2011, 05:54 AM
krs

One more thought on the gain screen question: apparently there is some loss of resolution that results that is directly proportional to the amount of gain/refllectivity of a screen.

Something to consider, and since one of the factors that attracted me to the projector I've bought is it's reported sharpness of image I'm leery of making a screen choice which might result in a loss of sharp display.

I'm hoping, really, for someone to take my above statement to task. You're exempt, IPT, since if someone should argue the point it would serve your hope of more responses in the thread.
post #14 of 23 Old 03-02-2011, 08:08 PM
IPT

KRS - I saw you were moving away from the Focupix in another thread. Did you end up making a decision?
post #15 of 23 Old 03-06-2011, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I have a Focupix 120" tab tensioned electric with their gain 1.4 matte white fabric in one HT and a 120" Elite EZFrame (fixed frame) with the 1.1 gain Cinewhite material in a HT in my other house. The Focupix clearly has higher gain without any hot spotting or other issues. Overall I prefer the image from the Focupix. Also note the Focupix tab tensioned electrics are better made then their low cost, non-tensioned electric screens.

FYI - From the sample I evaluated, as well as comments posted by owners, the Elite Powergain fabric (gain 1.8) produces a grainy image with some hot spotting potential (see the Elite screen thread).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #16 of 23 Old 03-13-2011, 12:33 PM
krs

Quote:

KRS - I saw you were moving away from the Focupix in another thread. Did you end up making a decision?

Yes, I decided after reading much of the information posted by Tryg which I'm sure you've seen to try the deal I mentioned above. (Tryg's threads are pure gold IMO, BTW).

An Elite Cinetension2 16:9 84" 1.8 gain screen is here but not yet installed. We're just finishing repainting the room but still have a ways to go before I'd be able to report any reactions to the screen in use.

I had a lot of hesitancy in trying the gain screen, mostly built around the sorts of disadvantages that Ron Jones mentions above. However with the projector's luminancy and sharp imaging now known and a complete lack of need to consider off-angle viewing (it's to be a bedroom install centered on the foot of our queen size bed) I THINK I'm right to believe it'll work very well for us in the situation at hand.
post #17 of 23 Old 03-26-2011, 01:13 AM
IPT

well good luck . I opted for the Focupix screen. It's sitting on my livingroom floor. Well, I guess in truth it is stretched across the living room. Hopefully it will go up this weekend, but as for the PJ not sure. Once I am all up and running I'll post my thoughts.
post #18 of 23 Old 08-15-2012, 07:39 PM

IPT what is your opinion of the Focupix screen that you purchased? What projector are you using it with? I know its been a while but hopefully you can respond with some feedback.
post #19 of 23 Old 08-22-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hi,

I have a Focupix fixed frame 2.35 110" diagonal 41" x 96" 1.4 gain screen that I use with my JVC RS40 and have been very happy with its performance. I have ordered an anamorphic lens and if I am able to go with a bigger screen I will definitely look at getting a bigger 2.35 Focupix screen. For its price it is fantastic.

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
post #20 of 23 Old 08-24-2012, 12:22 PM

Thanks Mike I appreciate the input. I am considering an RS40/45 and Epson 5010 right now, so if it looks good paired with yours I am sure it would be a good option. My understanding is that their tension electric screen uses the same quality material as with their fixed frame so I am thinking about that, but eventually would want a 2.35 screen. Unfortunately I don't want to spend $2k on an anamorphic lens right now so that would have to be a future purchase.
Thanks again!
post #21 of 23 Old 09-07-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

I have a Focupix 120" tab tensioned electric with their gain 1.4 matte white fabric in one HT and a 120" Elite EZFrame (fixed frame) with the 1.1 gain Cinewhite material in a HT in my other house. The Focupix clearly has higher gain without any hot spotting or other issues. Overall I prefer the image from the Focupix. Also note the Focupix tab tensioned electrics are better made then their low cost, non-tensioned electric screens.

FYI - From the sample I evaluated, as well as comments posted by owners, the Elite Powergain fabric (gain 1.8) produces a grainy image with some hot spotting potential (see the Elite screen thread).

Hey ron, i currently am building a dedicated htc in a basement and have complete control of the lighting however, i want a screen that will also work eith some ambient light. My projector is an epson 8350 is the focupix 120" cineflat a good choice?
post #22 of 23 Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 AM

Just mounted my Focupix 92 16x9 w/ tension. I had a cheap Tiger direct Gray wolf (with waves)

Wireless remote works great screen takes about 10-12 sec up or down.
Easy to adjust drop. 3min and done.
Great Great Great improvent. ( Wife said it looks awsome) so you know there is a great improvment.
Fast shipping.

Will post some pics if anyone is intrested.
post #23 of 23 Old 11-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
my focupix 106" tensionflat developed waves.
Elix likes this.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page