painted screen help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-08-2002, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello every one. i`m asking for help does off white glossy good for screen surface 80``x 60``< to be painted on wall>. what you recommend to use in off white catagory. thank you
safaa

safaa
more speakers you buy ,more happy you are
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-08-2002, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Safaa, I presume you wish to paint your wall with glossy off white paint?
DON'T DO IT ! you will get a bad hot spot in the middle of the picture and the colours will suffer.
Suggest you paint your screen with pure white FLAT paint for best results.

ziggy
post #3 of 12 Old 02-09-2002, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Some people have used Behr "ultra pure white" in flat or egshell.
Some people use the eggshell for extra gain.
You might try that. (eggshell).
I'm using flat.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-11-2002, 01:32 PM

How much gain do you get from the eggshell vs flat? I think I remember reading Mark Torre saying he has a 1.4 gain screen by using the Ultra Pure white. I might be wrong on this, I'll check his site again. I thought flat white only gave you a gain of 1.0? So which is it? I'm confused.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-11-2002, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally posted by Jazz B.
How much gain do you get from the eggshell vs flat? I think I remember reading Mark Torre saying he has a 1.4 gain screen by using the Ultra Pure white. I might be wrong on this, I'll check his site again. I thought flat white only gave you a gain of 1.0? So which is it? I'm confused.

Yes,id like to know also,im going to need a 1.3 gain paint for a CRT(6pg)projector-----

thanks

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #6 of 12 Old 02-19-2002, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

hello
i finished last week painting screen with flat white+4 drops black added to quart. color came out grey\\ light blue i tried screen didnt look bad at all but gain was not enough. but i got rid of all hot spots no more. today i went i got another quart behr flat white+2 drops black. painted screen came out lighter than before i`ll try it now i`ll let you know. safaa

safaa
post #7 of 12 Old 02-19-2002, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Safaa, see my latest screen paint posting.
If you want more gain for a grey screen, my topcoat mix may be ideal. You will be able to paint this over the top of the screen surface you already have.

ziggy
post #8 of 12 Old 02-20-2002, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

hello
i tried it it looks lot better than last time i did it no hot spots.if you wanna do it 60x80 size. to start: quart eggshell pure flat white+ 1 drop black to get more gain than what i have now try it. if looks good then dont change it. < it will cost you $11.00> my tripod screen dalite cost me $350.00 i `m not even using it .i`m waitting for ziggyr to finish his then we all go same way but i would like to add some grey to mine to get realy nicer color reflection.will see. good luck ziggyr let us know soon. bye now
safaa

safaa
post #9 of 12 Old 02-21-2002, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

hello
i spoke to the man in this site he has lots pearlscen white. i`m thinking to try to get more gain on my last painted screen still like it but i need more plus i want to try to mix all Dry Pigments i`m getting to come with better painted screen i know it will cost little more than what i expected put still a lot less than what i paied for $350.00 tripod or even $120 .if you can make it better than what they sell you specialy if you need to paint screen. so i`m getting titanum white+pearlscent white+ some else i forgot what he told me any way. i`ll post my try soon i get all dry paint then i`ll mix it with eggshell white i won`t forget to add a drop of black to cut shine of extra white i`m using. wish me luck who ever read this post. safaa

http://www.permacolors.com/dry_pigments.htm

safaa
post #10 of 12 Old 02-21-2002, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Safaa, don't want to spoil your fun but what I have found when mixing pearlescents with white paints is that not much really happens.
From my experience, the pearlescent particles are covered over by the white paint. When the paint is dry you can see some ''sparkles" here and there - these are the ones sitting on the surface, all the others have been buried underneath.
If you add lots of pearlescents the white becomes more ''eggshell". There will be a little more gain but very little.
Also, all of this is dependant on the size of the pearlescent particles - they come in different sizes ! The very fine ones produce the eggshell appearance, the large ones give you the odd sparkle here and there.
Mixing clear matte medium and white paint helps but the results are variable and not worth the effort.
In my other post you will see that I have had success in adding pearlescent medium (very fine particles ) to matte clear medium.
I tried adding a small ammount of titanium white to this and it stuffed everything up (reduced gain ).
Anyway, don't let me stop you from experimenting, you may come up with something. If you do, let me know.

Cheers.

ziggy
post #11 of 12 Old 02-21-2002, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

HI ZIGGY AS YOU SEE ON LAST THREAD . I`M GETTING SILK PEARLSCENT WHITE NOT THE SHINY ONE.SO I`LL TRY IT I`LL LET YOU KNOW.IT WILL BE FUN YOU RIGHT. BYE NOW

safaa
post #12 of 12 Old 02-25-2002, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

hi
i`m back after i did paint again. this time i used1/4 gallon flat eggshell white i added 2 1/2 oz silk pearlscent + touch black less than drop. it came out nice gain about 2.0 cause i have dalite 1.5 gain , this painted one is lots lighter color. so i guss i`m done unless some one has better paint mix. good luck every one bye now safaa

safaa
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page