Carada, Da-Lite, Elite, Seymour AV And Stewart Screen Material Test Results - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 11-20-2009, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
umr
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The following report contains test results for various materials from Carada, Da-Lite, Elite Screens, Seymour AV and Stewart.

AccuCal Front Projection Screen Report.pdf 182.525390625k . file

W. Jeff Meier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-20-2009, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow!! Nice report!!!
post #3 of 31 Old 11-20-2009, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

Wow!! Nice report!!!

Thanks.

W. Jeff Meier

post #4 of 31 Old 11-20-2009, 01:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Yes. Excellent work Jeff.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #5 of 31 Old 11-20-2009, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
umr
AVS Club Gold

Now if I could just get SMX and Screen Research samples.

W. Jeff Meier

post #6 of 31 Old 11-20-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Screen Excellence too. I've heard their EN4 weave is very fine and almost looks solid but that the screen has a yellowish tint.

post #7 of 31 Old 11-20-2009, 04:40 PM

Liked: 13
... and maybe Vutec too.

Edgar
post #8 of 31 Old 11-20-2009, 04:48 PM

W. Jeff. Between the Carada Brilliant White material and the Elite CineWhite which one do you prefer? And thank you for taking the time to do these screen sample evaluation. They are really helpful.

Edgar
post #9 of 31 Old 11-20-2009, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaritano View Post

W. Jeff. Between the Carada Brilliant White material and the Elite CineWhite which one do you prefer? And thank you for taking the time to do these screen sample evaluation. They are really helpful.

I would go with the Carada Classic Cinema White or SnoMatte instead of those.

W. Jeff Meier

post #10 of 31 Old 11-20-2009, 05:33 PM

Thank you W. Jeff. I'm contacting Carada for a Criterion 2.37:1 aspect ratio screen.

Edgar
post #11 of 31 Old 11-20-2009, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
umr
AVS Club Gold

I would get a screen sample before ordering to make sure it works for you.

W. Jeff Meier

post #12 of 31 Old 11-20-2009, 06:19 PM

I have various screen samples from different screen companies, including Carada, Da-lite, Stewart and Elite. I really like the Studiotek 100 but besides the price I'm afraid of the warning that it can only be used in a batcave.
The Studiotek 130 sample I can see sheen or sparklies on really bright scenes and the Elite CineWhite I like because of price and it looks similar to the Carada Brilliant White. I like the black backing to but I don't know if it offers any advantage over the Carada's.

Edgar
post #13 of 31 Old 11-20-2009, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
umr
AVS Club Gold

The bat cave comment is pretty general to a good home theater. If you do not have that I would be very careful. Only the StudioTek is likely to have must chance outside of a dark environment or generous wall spacing. The black backing can help if you can see light leaking through the screen.

W. Jeff Meier

post #14 of 31 Old 11-20-2009, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

Now if I could just get SMX and Screen Research samples.

Drop me a line Monday. I can help.
post #15 of 31 Old 12-21-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Screen Excellence too. I've heard their EN4 weave is very fine and almost looks solid but that the screen has a yellowish tint.

I can assure you that there is NOTHING yellow about any of the Screen Excellence Enlightor (EN1, EN2 and EN4K) materials.

In fact, EN4K has just recently passed ISF certification (for colorimetry and uniform field of white at all points on the screen - on and off axis). Expect Screen Excellence factory to begin promoting this certification in the first Q of 2010.

You are always welcome to contact me offline here for screen swatch samples which include audio and video testing curves.

Good listening and viewing!
John

John Caldwell
President
Grace Motif, Inc
Scottsdale, AZ

tel: 480-463-4248
fax: 805-856-2212
post #16 of 31 Old 12-21-2009, 01:55 PM

Here's a little photo that will show you a close up shot of the Screen Excellence Enlightor Series of AT screen fabrics (generally: EN1 = 1080 material, EN2 = 720 material and EN4K = 4K material.) also shown is a piece of traditional vinyl micro-perf for comparison.

Good listening and viewing.

John Caldwell
President
Grace Motif, Inc
Scottsdale, AZ

post #17 of 31 Old 12-21-2009, 01:56 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33721363@N00/4204623492/

John Caldwell
President
Grace Motif, Inc
Scottsdale, AZ

post #18 of 31 Old 12-21-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
"Screens with gain may perform better than that observed if the projector is mounted closer to the observers eye level."

The preceding quote taken from your otherwise excellent report is not 100% accurate. It is absolutely accurate for retroreflective screens, such as the Da-Lite High Power. It is not quite right for angular reflective screens, such as most of the other screens in your report. Angular reflective screens exhibit the greatest gain at screen center when the angle between the projector's line of sight above screen center and a line perpendicular to screen center is equal to the angle between the viewer's line of sight below screen center and a line perpendicular to screen center. In other words, if the viewer's line of sight is 10 degrees below screen center, a projector position 10 degrees above screen center will produce the greatest gain at screen center. Anything closer to (or further from) the viewer's eye level will produce less gain.

Your statement is true for both types of screens only when the viewer's eyes are at screen center height (which may?? be true for your theater). In the general case, in which the viewer's eyes may not be at screen center height, your statement is not true for angular reflective screens.

You don't have to take my word for this. If you move your measurement device below any angular reflective screen at an angle below screen center equal to the angle of your projector above screen center, you will find that to be the point of maximum gain for a point at screen center. (Angle of reflection equals angle of incidence.)

post #19 of 31 Old 12-26-2009, 03:26 PM

Thanks Jeff, very useful.

Do you plan on reviewing the SI Black Diamond screens? They appear to be a better solution than the studiotek 130 for rooms with ambient light.

D.
post #20 of 31 Old 05-13-2010, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Interesting report - any idea what might explain, for the Seymour AT fabric, why it measured at 0.94 gain, but their site says 1.2? Or am I misreading that?

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #21 of 31 Old 05-16-2010, 09:10 PM

Ya looks like lots of the manufacture gains are off.
post #22 of 31 Old 02-03-2014, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Interesting report - any idea what might explain, for the Seymour AT fabric, why it measured at 0.94 gain, but their site says 1.2? Or am I misreading that?

Sorry to bring this thread back to life. But in reading the report I don't see Seymour discussed. And given the age of the posts, is this the prior Seymour at material?

Build Thread:
post #23 of 31 Old 02-03-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'm pretty sure it was the centerstage XD material used.

post #24 of 31 Old 02-03-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Correct. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #25 of 31 Old 02-03-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Jeff is stopping by my theater in a week and a half, to touch up my Lumis. I'm going to have him check out the Neve 1.1 screen, and give him some Neve and HD Pro 1.1 and 1.3 screen samples, so he can add those to his data base.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #26 of 31 Old 02-04-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. It's not in he PDF in the first post. Maybe because I'm reading this in a mobile device....

That's disappointing, either way. Well, I'll reserve judgment until I get the sample I have ordered.

Apparently their newer 4k friendly weave has even less gain!

Quote:

Build Thread:
post #27 of 31 Old 02-05-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

It's a great screen material even if it doesn't measure at the spec'd gain.

I think the sample Jeff used was the piece I brought him when he calibrated my old JVC RS35. I was living in Canada at the time and drove down to Buffalo with another guy in Toronto to get our projectors calibrated by Jeff. I had a few feet of the centerstage XD material left over from my screen build so I built a little frame and made a 2' or 3' square screen so he could accurately calibrate my projector and then left the screen sample with him for testing.

post #28 of 31 Old 02-05-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's a great screen material even if it doesn't measure at the spec'd gain.

I think the sample Jeff used was the piece I brought him when he calibrated my old JVC RS35. I was living in Canada at the time and drove down to Buffalo with another guy in Toronto to get our projectors calibrated by Jeff. I had a few feet of the centerstage XD material left over from my screen build so I built a little frame and made a 2' or 3' square screen so he could accurately calibrate my projector and then left the screen sample with him for testing.

And if one believes their tests, it's the highest gain weave material on the market.

Build Thread:
post #29 of 31 Old 02-13-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

For those who are interested, the latest report is here

http://www.accucalhd.com/documents/accucal_front_projection_screen_report.pdf

and includes lots of screens missing from the old report, including a lot of AT screens.
cgott42 likes this.

Build Thread:
post #30 of 31 Old 02-13-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

For those who are interested, the latest report is here

http://www.accucalhd.com/documents/accucal_front_projection_screen_report.pdf

and includes lots of screens missing from the old report, including a lot of AT screens.

thanks - one typo to be aware of - on page 6 - 1st line - I think you meant to say "Acoustically Transparent" (without the "Non")
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page