Paint that wall - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-21-2002, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just to share with you all on what I did.

I have a Sony 1271Q CRT Projector and experimented with the Tile Backer screen, a very nice pciture, but it hot spotted because of the glossy surface.

So today I went out and purchased 1 gallen of Home Depot Behr ultra white - eggshell finish paint. I painted it over a dark blue wall in my home theater, I used 3 thin coats with a short nap roller, there were some imperfections on the wall, but I decided to just paint over em and see what happened.

In a word, wonderful, black is black, white is white, and the color and image is simply stunning!!! All without a line doubler, scaler, using an s-video connection. We watched titanic tonight and I am so impressed I wanted to post it here and let all of you know, this is a great temporary or permanant solution for those of you with the wall space, mine is 80x60 4:3 ratio, and the 16:9 DVD's look great in this space as well, plenty of image to view, 92" diag I beilieve.

I will stick with this solution for now, and see what kind of comments I get this weekend on movie night. I also purchased some black non refelctive material from a fabric store, and fastened it to the wall using velcro on the ends when using 16:9 and it works great. All of this cost me about $40. The best part, if I do ever buy a screen, just re-paint the wall.

Hope you find this helpful!

:D

Come see my current home theater and the new one soon to be under construction at http://www.unitywebdesign.com/theater/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-24-2002, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Long live the painted white wall !!!!

ziggy
post #3 of 6 Old 02-25-2002, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I did some experiments over the weekend with a 4'8' panel. Tested a couple of shades of gray for my SE13hd (PLV60). I was surprised to end up with a dark gray, called Pewter, in the Behr color charts. This was the only color that gave me decent blacks. Whites still look great and the colors are right on using Avia flashing colors.

I went ahead and painted a rectangle on my wall, about 60"x103." When I had previously projected pictures on the beige wall, I did not notice textures at all. With the pewter color, the texture really stands out, so I'm going to have to go back and do some sanding and re-paint. That's part of the fun. Also, I did notice there were some smally patches of slightly "flatter" areas, which may be due to the thickness of the paint. Next time, I'll probably thin it down some.

My wife thinks I'm obsessed, which, of course, I am, but the picture is fantastic!
post #4 of 6 Old 03-04-2002, 06:32 AM

I tried Behr Pewter over the weekend. Looks great but you're right, now I'm noticing the texture more. I should sand it, but I'm afraid that textures created by sanding will look worse. Any recommendations on how to sand a painted wall so that doesn't happen?
post #5 of 6 Old 03-04-2002, 02:12 PM
dje

You might try using a "random orbit" sander. These mount a sanding disk on a dual-elliptical pivot so the sanding marks left are quite random.

That combined with a fine grit can give you a really smooth surface.

- David Eddy
post #6 of 6 Old 03-04-2002, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I used a belt sander to get the really rough stuff off, then used plaster to get it smooth. Then use a couple coats of primer, then two or three coats of the final color. Mine looks really good now. Can't see any texture. It took be a couple of days to do it (103" by 60"). I wasn't real particular about the outer 2" or so because I always use at least that much for a dark border around the picture.
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page