Can a JVC rs15/Paramount u480 project a 130" 2.4 OK? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-06-2009, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my RS15/U480 combo. Starting to think about what to do for my screen. I'd like the largest screen possible in a light controlled room. Projecting from 12' or so, Paramorph recommended a 128" diagonal screen, with the limiting factor for a larger screen being pincushion. I'd like to go with a seymourav f130 screen. I can live with a trace more pincushion in order to get to a larger screen. The seymourav screen has a gain of 1.2, will the image be reasonably bright? I know that jvcs lose 50% brightness quickly, will it be a problem with this size screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-06-2009, 06:03 AM

Not 100% apples-to-apples, but probably close enough to be helpful...

I've got the 130" wide Seymour AV fixed screen (2.35) with an RS20, but no lens (ie., zooming). Dedicated room with full light control.

The front of my projector is 15.375' from the screen.

I'm currently getting ~14fL on the screen. The iris is wide open and I'm at 148 hours on the bulb, so that's going to drop over time.

It's plenty bright for me right now, even when watching football games where I've got some ambient light going in the room.

Jay
post #3 of 6 Old 12-06-2009, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jay. I tried projectorcentral's calculator. Projecting from 12.5 feet onto a 59" tall 16:9 screen, I should get 25fL out of the RS15. The U480 has a 92% transmittance, so on a 2.4 screen, I should get around 23fL. At 50% less output, I'll get around 11 fL. I'm not sure how this calculator measured the brightness, do they use the max setting on the projector? I think the RS15 and RS20 have very similar light output. I heard that they do lose to 50% output rather quickly....around 50 - 100 hours or so. Do these bulbs keep getting dimmer until there is no light output? Is 11 fL acceptable in a dim room?
post #4 of 6 Old 12-06-2009, 02:19 PM

The normal guidelines I've seen say you want 12 - 22 fL. I've seen folks with light controlled rooms say they are perfectly happy with 9fL, but that's going to be a personal preference thing.

While I've also heard that JVC lamps tend to dim faster than others, it's nowhere near 50% at 100 hours! Someone that's had theirs longer than I have will have to chime in. At 150 hours, I certainly haven't noticed any drop-off in brightness.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-06-2009, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

It seems that the calculator is pretty much right on. I plugged your set up in, and according to the calculator, you should get around 16 fL. So 14 fL measured is within the error margin, given the amount of use your bulb has. Maybe my set up will work after all btw....how do you like the Seymour screen? In terms of PQ, it it a big step down from the solid screens?
post #6 of 6 Old 12-06-2009, 03:27 PM

I'm very happy with my Seymour screen! Couldn't really tell you the difference in PQ vs. a solid screen because this is my first dedicated HT setup.

That said, a couple of things I'll point out:

1) Having the L-C-R speakers behind an AT screen had a MUCH bigger impact on things than I expected. Having the dialog come from a center behind the screen really helps immerse you in the movie.

2) Another AVSForum user that lives in the same city came by yesterday because he was interested in a Seymour AV screen and hadn't been able to see one. Unlike me, he's actually got experience with other (solid) screens. He was very impressed with the Seymour and is now planning to get one himself.

I would expect the PQ probably takes a minor hit due to the weave, but at my viewing distance (13'), I certainly don't notice any texture in the image and I've never seen any moire.

Honestly, I have a hard time imagining ever moving away from 2.35 or AT screens in the future.

Jay
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page