Screen Recommendation? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-25-2002, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony G70 front projector and a Dalite Model B 92 x 52 matte fabric screen. But the screen will not hang flat. Dalite has been kind enough to replace it twice, with the same result each time. There are slight ripples in the screen which are annoying if a movie scene pans across.
It sounds like I need a tensioned screen? I know Dalite has them, and Stewart has them, and I came across a Draper Premier Projection tensioned screen with an M1300 surface. But I'm not sure if I should use that surface - will that upset the brightness from a less than straight on viewing angle?
Does anyone know anyone about this screen, and your recommendations?
Is the Stewart the best electric screens? About how much do they cost in a 92x52 size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-27-2002, 10:31 PM

I had a da-lite Model B manual pull down screen with a 1.3 gain surface. Experiencing your same problem I had a da-lite rep come out to see it for himself after replacing it once already. It is the nature of the beast. Pulldowns' work best for still image projection, in that the motion of video reveals the ripples. Forget trying to see a straight line across the screen. I went with their da-snap fixed frame wall mount screen with the 1.3 gain and what a difference. Tensioned screens are flat and have no wobbles. But the cost was in the 7-8 hundred range. True it's more expensive but the difference is so appearant you will see that a pulldown just can't give the results your after.
Rich.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-28-2002, 03:04 PM

I too was a none-too-happy Model B owner. The ripples during pans drove me nuts.

I switched from a 50 x 67 Video Spectra (1.5 gain) to a 60 x 80 Cinema Vision (1.3 gain) cut-to-size stretched over a DIY frame. The difference is stunning. I was able to stretch the material (it's quite rubbery) so it was taut - it actually resonates when flicked with a finger. The combination of perfectly flat screen and more uniform screen material just blew me away. Despite the lower gain and larger screen the picture is greatly improved. I believe less light is scattered with the flatter screen.

It cost me $211 for the fabric - about $340 altogether.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-01-2002, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueRivets
I switched from a 50 x 67 Video Spectra (1.5 gain) to a 60 x 80 Cinema Vision (1.3 gain) cut-to-size stretched over a DIY frame. The difference is stunning.
It cost me $211 for the fabric - about $340 altogether.
I was wondering if there is $170 work of difference between this material and the 100% cotton 280-thread count king size flat sheet I have stretched across the wall with about 100 thumb tacks? I have an old 750 lumen epson projector, hooked to a computer that plays our dvd's at 600x800, looks pretty good I think. So am I just not accustomed to the "real" thing? (the sheet plus tacks cost about $40)
post #5 of 10 Old 03-02-2002, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Real dumb newbie question - what does DIY stand for? I assume the frame is like a picture frame.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-02-2002, 12:26 PM

dragonbud0-

DIY = Do It Yourself

-zak
post #7 of 10 Old 03-02-2002, 03:20 PM

I have a dalite pull down 45x80 screen and its more or less perfect. It has no waves and its pretty much flat. Never had any problems with it.

I just replaced it with a motorized Stewart greyhawk.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-02-2002, 05:36 PM

uh, yeah, I knew what DIY meant... I think you meant dragonbud
post #9 of 10 Old 03-04-2002, 06:49 AM

QUOTE]and I came across a Draper Premier Projection tensioned screen with an M1300 surface. But I'm not sure if I should use that surface - will that upset the brightness from a less than straight on viewing angle?[/quote]

Kawal -
You should have no concerns using the M1300 for your viewing surface. M1300 has a very flat viewing cone, allowing 180 degrees of viewing without drop-off. It is only with higher gain or reduced gain screens you would notice an off-axis drop.

Bob Hadsell
Home Theatre Sales Manager
DRAPER, Inc.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-05-2002, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Rich
I had a da-lite Model B manual pull down screen with a 1.3 gain surface. Experiencing your same problem I had a da-lite rep come out to see it for himself after replacing it once already. It is the nature of the beast. Pulldowns' work best for still image projection, in that the motion of video reveals the ripples. Forget trying to see a straight line across the screen. I went with their da-snap fixed frame wall mount screen with the 1.3 gain and what a difference. Tensioned screens are flat and have no wobbles. But the cost was in the 7-8 hundred range. True it's more expensive but the difference is so appearant you will see that a pulldown just can't give the results your after.
Rich.
most rollups are like this eventually you finish up wishing you had bitten the bullet and went for a fixed screen once you have a fixed screen yoy will wonder why you never did it before I also have a G70 and you will certainly notice the difference
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page