Parkland screen installation guide and first impressions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-25-2002, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well after a long waiting period I finally ended up installing my 5x10 sheet of parkland on the wall. First some background information. The wall is only 15ft wide and I have a 34in entrance door (about 3ft) on the very right side. Because I wanted it to stand centered a 9ft screen instead of 10ft was a better choice . It was actually going to substitute a diy screen made of white fiberglass panel (4x8ft) from local Home Depot hot glued over a door frame which was screwed to the wall using L shape hardware. As I said before the problem with the fiberglass panel was that it is somehow transparent and not very smooth all around. I also wanted a screen bigger vertically speaking so I could fit my LT150 (no zoom) under a coffee table and still be able to rest my feet over it. I know this is one of those times when a picture is worth a thousand words specially when I'm not a native English speaker (I'm from Brasil) but I'll be soon posting some pictures. Don't worry!
Having the screen size defined I went on a quest trying to find any hard material that I could glue the Parkland panel on. For my surprise all materials (including MDF, drywall, etc) only came in 4x8 panels or 4x12ft. I figured I had to do many many cuts and seams in order to create a 5x9 smooth back panel and with a delicate material like the Parkland seams are a not the most desirable thing.
This weekend after too much wife's complain about the parkland sheet laying around flat (almost) in our music room I decided to take an action and with or without seams it was going to be on the wall. I rush once again to Home Depot looking for the required materials. When trying to find the right glue I found a cement board panel(1/2in thick) in 3x5ft. I figured I only needed 3 panel stick them together I had a ok 5x9ft surface. Ditto! I first tried drywall screws directly but the heads were sticking out. I then decided to pre-drill head size holes (3/8in) in the board. Good, now the 3 panels were attached to the wall and no screw heads! Next I applied the adhesive (Henry 356 all purpose carpet glue because I couldn't find Henry 444) to the back of the Parkland material (notice that 1/4 gal was barely enough, I'm sure for a 5x10 screen it is not enough so my advice is for you to buy two packs since it dries quickly). Spreading it evenly and quickly or have a friend to help is a must. Next lift the panel and start attaching it to the cement board. One should start gluing one of the sides and moving towards the other always using a roller and a lot of pressure to avoid bulbs. Once the 2 surfaces are together they kind tent to slip and you have to reposition and keep using the roller for about 30 minutes until you cannot hear the glue moving anymore. I know it sounds pretty strange but when you try yourself you'll know what I mean! It is hard! If you can have 3 or 4 people the better! The ideal is to glue on the floor and then attach the whole thing on the wall but again I couldn't find a large enough surface for the back.

I waited 2 hours and run some testing. Even though the Parkland panel was a little transparent once glued its transparency disappeared. The screen turn out pretty flat with some gain around 1.2 to 1.5 I believe (I used the smooth side). When I first turn on the LT150 it gives a flat blue screen which helped me to find some minor hot spot due to a less than perfect seam ( again I hate seams and now you know why!). It indeed was so minor that with DVD material one could not tell it was there. So far so good.
Next I decided to finish off my masking system. Since I had to remove everything to install the new screen I decided was the perfect time to make things happen. My wife help me out to create a multi format masking system using the same black velvet that I used for my HT curtains. It is a not very complicated system and still manual but adjusting for different ratios is just a snap. I will post detailed pictures once this reply is already too long.
After everything done was time to relax and nothing better than watching our first movie in our just renewed system. We had just received this movie from Netflix called Swordfish which from one reason or another I never got to rent in our local Blockbuster store. Even after 24 hours I'm still smiling! What a great movie, what a great HT! Huge screen, wonderful colors, great contrast! Perfect, perfect, perfect!!!! I'm so happy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2002, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Sounds great,

i think im also going to go with this parkland,

iv got a CRT and need a 1.3 gain,

sounds like this stuff will do the trick:)

ts

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

Old 02-26-2002, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mercury,
let me know if you have any questions, OK?
Cheers,
Rodrigo
Old 02-27-2002, 11:18 PM

I am having a hard time getting parkland plastics to respond whether or not they ship to my location.... i am in San Antonio, TX... and have looked at both Lowes and Home Depot, with no luck. I haven't called Parkland yet, guess that will be the next step, if they don't respond to the other three emails....

Anybody have a sheet they want to sell? Also, I am looking for an IMX lens... please advise if you know of anyone who might be able to help.

Thanks!

:)
Old 02-28-2002, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

jbsmith,
I ordered 2 panels from Prkland but only used one of them. The other is still in the sealed box that came from Parkland at my office. It is a 5x10 sheet. Please let me know if you still need it, OK? Regards,
Rodrigo
Old 02-28-2002, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by mercury
i think im also going to go with this parkland,

iv got a CRT and need a 1.3 gain,
I've got two sheets of the Parkland and have had a chance to compare both the matte and smooth sides directly against a standard Da-Lite 1.0 Matte White screen. Held the stuff right up against the Da-Lite and compared the brightness of a projected image. I didn't see any evidence of a >1 gain at all from the Parkland. If anything the matte side may be ever so slightly less than 1.0. The material is white recycled plastic. There are no reflective materials added to it to increase gain. The brightness of the white surface is less than that of good quality, bright white (rated at 90 or above) inkjet printer paper. Maybe the glue/smooth side is glossy enough to get up to around 1.05 gain, but can't say it is any more than that.

That said, it makes a very nice, flat, even/uniform 1.0 screen for just a few bucks. Truly a great bargain & a nice find by Ron Meyer.

Tom
Old 02-28-2002, 07:31 PM

I concur with Tom...I've done similar comparisons with my Parkland and didn't find that the Parkland is anything but 1.0

Gene
Old 02-28-2002, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Tom, I agree. Even though I haven't seen this plastic sheet I have seen similar here in Australia.

Estimating gain is not an exact science and it is easy to get excited with something that appears to be brighter at first but in reality is just 1.0.

Without wanting to cause a stir on this forum, I have also tried blockout fabric of various types . The results were surprising to say the least. The worst case scenario looked as if it was less than 1.0 !

The fact of the matter is that if you want more gain , you will need to use a surface that produces gain - pearlescent, glass beaded,silver etc.

ziggy
Old 03-01-2002, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm,so would a 1.0 gain be good for a CRT,what would the image difference be between 1.0 and 1.3,

anyone?????this is for a CRT,

thanks-

Tommy

ts

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

Old 03-01-2002, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry guys but my spare Parkland is already sold!
Cheers,
Rodrigo
Old 03-02-2002, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Sorry guys but my spare Parkland is already sold!
Cheers,
Rodrigo
Well... despite my attempt to buy this sheet... Im without.....

Anyone else have a sheet that they may offer to sell... who may hold it for more than a day after offering it before selling it to someone else?

Thanks in advance! Look forward to experimentation.

Joseph
Old 03-02-2002, 06:12 AM

Not sure why you should have a problem with getting the screen from parkland. I ordered mine on Feb 18 and had it at my house Feb 25. I live in Toronto Canada.

I called the number provided on their web site and I was quickly on the line with Nicole who took my order. I purchased a 5X10 and a 4X8.

Not up yet...No time.
Old 03-02-2002, 06:26 AM

Not sure why you should have a problem with getting the screen from parkland. I ordered mine on Feb 18 and had it at my house Feb 25. I live in Toronto Canada.

I called the number provided on their web site and I was quickly on the line with Nicole who took my order. I purchased a 5X10 and a 4X8.

Not up yet...No time.
Old 03-02-2002, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by kerkmans

If there is a market for selling 4X8 Parkland sheets, I may have to hustle over to my local Menards and pick up a bunch for $10.88/sheet. Let's see, if I have pre-screened them for imperfections, what do you think I could get for them? And I hear that Parkland charges a somewhat high S&H fee. I believe the 4' sheets would fit into a Priority Mail tube for about $6-$8.

Nah, it wouldn't be worth the hassle. Probably would have a hard time clearing $6/hr for all of the work.

Tom
Old 03-02-2002, 09:38 PM

Well after a case of mistaken identity(it's called human error Joe, don't be so hard on Rodrigo) I picked up Rodrigos' extra Parkland today and thanks to his hospitality also had the chance to check out his excellent theater. The Parkland material is indeed everything it's been touted to be and seems an excellent match for the LT150/HTPC/ISCO combo. In fact, it made so me anxious to get back to Philly so I could compare my own pj while my memory was still fresh that I didn't get a chance to hear his separate 2-channel system.

Rodrigo-- Yo you gotta put together some instructions on that masking system and post it man!
Old 03-03-2002, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mercury
Hmmm,so would a 1.0 gain be good for a CRT,what would the image difference be between 1.0 and 1.3,

anyone?????this is for a CRT,NEC 6pg...

thanks-

Tommy

ts

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

Old 03-03-2002, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I suggest a Dalite Hipower. The difference between 1 and 1.3 is marginal for you and you will have to run your tube beyond 60% brightness and contrast. With a highpower you should be able to run them at 50%. The Hipower is only good for floor mounts though.

Bob
Old 03-03-2002, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Bob-

i do need a 1.3 gain screen for sure,but at the moment i have no plans to buy one.

just trying to figure the closest 1.3 gain DIY screen around:)80x45.

ts

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

Old 03-04-2002, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mercury, I have had success with d.i.y. screen paint .
Paint your surface with high grade artist's gesso (pure white)
mix 5% pearlescent powder mix in some Liquitex matte medium.
Paint (roller or spray) over the white gesso base: 1-2 coats.
You will get at least 1.3 this way, maybe even more.

ziggy
Old 03-05-2002, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

was my pleasure to meet you in person and checking my HT. I'll be posting instructions today regarding the masking system. Keep checking.
Please let us know how your Parkland instalation goes!
Kind regards,
Rodrigo
Old 03-05-2002, 07:50 AM

Thanks Rodrigo,
It may a couple weeks or so before I do anything with the Parkland especially after I saw your masking system as I want to do the masking and screen all at once. I was going to paint my front wall with one of the Ralph Lauren River Rocks' darker grays but the efficiency of your curtain system is giving me second thoughts. I remember much of what you told me but I need written instructions. I'll hit you up w/ any questions if I have any.

Earl