SCREEN PAINT- feedback from all experimentors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-26-2002, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just thought I'd try to get some feedback from all those who have experimented with screen paint mixes for CRT projectors.
Looking back on many older posts indicates that quite a few of us have tried the flat white + gesso +pearlescent powders,mediums in an attempt to add gain to the normal matte white option.

So how about it guys?.......what was the ultimate outcome ?, any success, special ingredients? (settle down KBK.....) . How effective was the pearlescent powder additive idea?
I personally had a reasonable amount of success but may have missed something along the way. Thus the idea that we compare notes and possibly work together to perhaps improve on what we have at present.
Who knows, with the wealth of paint formulations and additives out there , we might even come across something new that hasn't been tried yet.
Yes, it's true that there have been numerous threads on this subject already but it is most important that we d.i.y.'s keep plugging away at it all the time. Believe me, I know from experience that obsessive but healthy experimentation will get you everywhere!(hopefully not broke)

THE ANSWER IS OUT THERE.

ziggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-27-2002, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey..

Been very happy with the combo of gesso base + matte meduim and perlecients for a top coat. Picture definatly comes alive with the tiny shiny particles. The screen seemed much brighter and rejected more ambient light than the gesso by itself. I think I can do better though. I'm going to try a second coat today or tomorrow.

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
post #3 of 6 Old 02-27-2002, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Snowmoon, glad to hear you got some results. A second coat will improve coverage of the pearlescents on the screen surface.

Cheers.

ziggy
post #4 of 6 Old 02-27-2002, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I got hold of some very fine glass beads - 25 micron, and tried mixing various percentages with the matte medium I have been using.

Forget it! ......it doesn't work, as mentioned by KBK some time ago. There is more to this than we think - someone mentioned REFRACTIVE INDEXES : hmmmm.....?.

Perhaps, someone with a bit of knowledge and experience with gllass beads would like to comment on this?

While at a large art supplier, I came across three different grades of pearlescent powdered pigment under the brand name of JACQUARD. The powders come in MICROPEARL, PEARL WHITE and MACROPEARL.
I purchased and tried MACROPEARL - 5% in matte clear medium, 2 coats on a small sample board.
This was compared to a well known company's 2.0 gain pearlescent sample.
The result was what I estimate as nearly identical to the 2.0 pearlescent sample.
Jacquard's description of the three grades of powder are as follows : MICROPEARL - ''produces a satin effect '', PEARL WHITE - ''medium size particles with exceptional brilliance''. MACROPEARL - '' are the most reflective''.
It is interesting to note that the pearlescent medium (FOLKART brand ) that I have previously used had very fine particles and in a comparison to the MACROPEARL, did not have anywhere near the final gain factor.

So,...... size does matter !

Cheers.

ziggy
post #5 of 6 Old 02-28-2002, 02:18 PM
dje

Ziggy,

Sorry for the confusion but do you roll or spray your clearcoat?

- David Eddy
post #6 of 6 Old 02-28-2002, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I rolled mine but if you have access to a sprayer the results would be even better.

ziggy
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page