Question for all you Dalite Model B owners... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-28-2002, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been fooling around with some creative ways to utilize the masking border built into the Dalite Model B pulldown. When fully extended, the ratio of the screen is 16X9. I notice when the screen is rolled back up into its casing, it locks in at certain increments. I was estatic when it stopped rolling exactly at the 2.35:1 point. The on-screen image (The Rock CC) was perfectly masked! Does anyone else use this technique? Was the screen designed to stop at this point specifically for 2.35:1? My only problem now is the upper black masking bar disappears. Perhaps I can cut a stip of masking material identical to the size of the border on the Dalite? How could I affix this strip to the the sceen without disabling the rollup capabilities of the Model B that I am currently enjoying? Thanks for any suggestions or comments... You guys are the best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-01-2002, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been doing exactly as you describe for about a year now. You could make a nice light top mask out of velvet covered cardboard and use rare earth magnets to hold it in place.

-Mike

I didn't do it
Nobody saw me do it,
You can't prove a thing

An Haiku by Bart Simpson
post #3 of 5 Old 03-01-2002, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Rare earth magnets? Wow! That is an awesome idea. Is that how you're doing it? I am having no problems with the waves in the Model B that other people have complained about. I can't believe more people aren't buying this screen from Cousins video. I paid around $220 for a hipower pulldown. What a deal! Where could I find a strip of black velvet that's 96" long?
post #4 of 5 Old 03-01-2002, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I built a little wooden frame and stapled black velvet to it. It is suspended from springs and when using it I pull it in front of the screen. When viewing 1.85 material I hang it from the back of the screen. Black velevet is available at any fabric store at 54" wide and you could have it as long as you want. Believe me when you are making a do it yourself mask it's possible to use up the 54" width pretty quickly, I messed up quite a bit.. I bought 100" wide to give me some extra cushion on my 92" wide screen.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-01-2002, 02:14 PM

I have a 45x80 dalite pull down that I just replaced with a motorized stewart greyahawk. Though I never tried doing rolling it up just for 2.35, I must say that the sceen has never had any waves and works perfectly. I was very pleased with the quality and performance of the screen.

P.S I am trying to sell it if anyone is interested
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page