Transition from DIY screen to a Da-Lite High Power, need help with sizing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2010, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own a Mitsubishi HC 5500 that I built a DIY solution for (special Behr paint mix on my wall). I have owned it for 15 months now, with over 400 hours of viewing logged, and have been VERY, VERY happy with it to date, watching about 40% Blu-Ray content. I am considering getting a Da-lite High Power fixed frame screen, but wanted to get advice on sizing.

1. Projector is ceiling mounted, with throw distance of 14' 1"
2. Viewing distance for most is 13'
3. The viewing cone is fairly narrow, as all but 2 seats are within the width of the current 'screen'
4. Absolutey zero ambient light, sealed room in basement

PJ Central suggests using 108" x 61" or a 124" diagonal for my current throw distance.

However, since I have been using the wall with no frame, I have kept my lens fully zoomed out, which provides me an image with the following dimensions: Width 118", Height 67", and a 134" diagonal

When it's zoomed in at the halfway point, the dimensions are close to what PJC suggests: Width 107", Height 60.5", 123" diagonal. However, I could never tell a difference in picture quality between this and when it's fully zoomed out, so that's why I always just kept it maxed out.

Using the wall, screen size never mattered of course, but now that I am moving to a fixed frame, I need to decide on a proper size. Any thoughts? I could just go 134" and zoom in to a smaller size if I don't like it, but then I will have masking issues.

Another concern is that my wall is not square, but I guess I can use shims to even it out where needed, when mounting the frame.

Lastly, where is the best place to buy a HP screen? Da-lite direct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
mho. if you go smaller, you will not be happier.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
Old 01-24-2010, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I believe 133" is the largest standard HP size in fixed frame. I would stick with that, since you are used to a large image size. Shims will be fine if the wall is not square.

One concern I have is your ceiling mounted PJ. At 133" and with 400 hours on the lamp, you will benefit from a screen gain of around 2.0. To get that much gain out of the HP the PJ will need to be close to seated eye level. You can get an extension tube to lower the PJ beneath its current ceiling mount. If that won't work for you, you can shelf mount (or pedestal mount) the PJ. If cabling is an issue, there's the Brite-View wireless HDMI adapter available now that works up to 1080i 60 or 1080p 24.

The best place to buy the screen IMO is right here at the AV Science store. Give Jason a call.

My screen gain calculator linked below will let you see what you need to do to get the gain you want.