Just tried Behr gray tropics on DIY screen-- does this look -too- gray to you?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-03-2002, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the middle of building a screen for my LCD projector. I put two coats of primer on drywall, and now just applied my first coat of Behr gray tropics (actually, ultra pure white tinted to gray tropics as suggested in an earlier thread). I'm a little scared at the results... I thought the color would be much closer to white than it is. It's noticeably quite gray. And maybe that's a good thing, but since I've never seen a "grayscreen" I'm not sure what to expect. Please see the attached picture... I put a sheet of white paper next to the screen, but actually the difference is a little more significant in-person. (And never mind the hotspotting from the flash--- the paint was still wet when I took the picture!) Anyway-- does this look right to everyone?? Seems quite gray to me, but maybe that's the way it's supposed to be.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-03-2002, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

That looks a lot whiter than the Dalite DaMat High Contrast screen (.80 gain).
post #3 of 6 Old 03-04-2002, 07:25 AM

Mine's even darker. I'm using Behr Pewter. What matters is how the picture looks-- you won't be disappointed I'm sure.

[edit note: I said Behr slate originally, that was wrong]
post #4 of 6 Old 03-04-2002, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Actually, the gray is grayer than it looks in the picture-- the flash really brightened it up. And this is only the first coat of paint. It's just that someone posted earlier that their "gray tropics" looks white until you put a sheet of paper up to it, which definately isn't the case here. If the stewart and dalite grays are similar to what I'm getting here, or even more gray, then I guess I'm in good shape. Thanks for your help!
post #5 of 6 Old 03-04-2002, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm using Behr Antique Pewter. I tried lighter grays, but ended up with this one. Much darker than I thought would look good, but the blacks are good, and colors are great! I get much better gray scale tracking on the Pewter than on a flat white finish.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-04-2002, 11:42 AM

The GrayHawk sample I received from Stewart, is much darker than your screen. In fact it is too dark for my DLP projector. I am finding that I need something between The Stewart 130 screen material and the GrayHawk. The 130 material washes out too much and the GrayHawk is too dark (Whites look Grey). Unfortunately, I need a retractable screen, so the DIY option is fairly limited for me.
Closed Thread Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page