Dukane 9000d (JVC G10 equivalent)
Dilard Calibration
ISCO II anamorphic lens
HTPC with:
1.33 GHz Athlon w/512 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM
Radeon LE Ultra (32MB DDR equivalent)
WinDVD 2.6.4
WinTV-HD

Until now, I've been using a DIY screen made with grey satin. This is my first commercial screen.

The Da-Snap was easy to assemble. Four screws to secure the sides together, four screws to mount the brackets, six screws to mount the hanger rail to the wall, snap the screen to the frame and hang it on the wall. Piece of cake.

When I first assembled and hung the screen, there were some light streaks on the right hand side of the screen. These faded after a day or two though, and might have been due to the fabric needing to "stretch out." The screen does have several minor scuff marks and a few small wrinkles that I'm sure were not created when I assembled and hung the screen. They're pretty minor but I'm surprised they're there at all. Hard to believe they would be introduced at the factory but the screen was drop shipped to me, so where else could they come from?

OK, on to the important stuff... The first thing I noticed when I fired up my projector was how bright the image looked. The grey satin I was using was a little darker than the HC Cinema Vision, so the blacks are a little lighter as well, but overall the contrast is much, much better. I can see lots of details, particularly in dark scenes, that I couldn't see before yet whites are very bright and colors are very saturated.

There is no hot-spotting to speak of, despite the gain. The viewing angle is also quite good, even at extreme angles. The downside of this is that light control is critical when using the screen.

Overall, I am very happy and would get this screen again.

Minor negatives: the screen stinks (literally). The smell of vinyl pervades my living room. I'm hoping that after it's had some time to "air out" the smell will go away, but it's pretty strong after three days. The screen is also slightly translucent, so if I wasn't hanging it on a light colored wall, I'd need some backing. Finally, if it were my decision, I'd have made the fabric a tiny bit darker, maybe 5 or 10%. Of course, this gives me a little room to play with color filters.

I haven't compared the screen to a Firehawk, but given the difference in price, it's hard to believe I'd be any happier. For the money, the HC Cinema Vision represents a great value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-04-2002, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for an very interesting review! I wonder how gray is the High Contrast Cinema Vision - do you think it would be gray enough to improve the blacks on a LCD projector like the Sony 11HT?

Of course one can also use color filters with the 11HT.

HC Cinema Vision would probably make a nice screen for
my setup - only problem is that I can't even get a price
for Da-Lite or Stewart screens from the local dealers here
in Finland... And if I ever do it will 3x the price in the States :(
post #3 of 8 Old 03-04-2002, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jouni
Thanks for an very interesting review! I wonder how gray is the High Contrast Cinema Vision - do you think it would be gray enough to improve the blacks on a LCD projector like the Sony 11HT...
The screen is definately grey enough to make a difference. I've tried projecting on a white surface before and it's much more "washed out" than with the HC Cinema Vision. The grey is light though, around a 2 on the card below. If I were you, I'd try projecting onto a light grey bedsheet to get the "feel" for it. I think that once you've tried it, you'll never go back to white.

http://l2gdevel.links2go.com/pics/q13.jpg
post #4 of 8 Old 03-04-2002, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What is the gain of this screen??

Thx,

-- Cain
post #5 of 8 Old 03-04-2002, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Cain
What is the gain of this screen?
Da-Lite specs it at 1.1
post #6 of 8 Old 03-05-2002, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
When I tried a small sample of the HC Cinema Vision there was an obvious decrease in gain off-axis. This was apparent if the sample was placed in the middle of the existing screen and I stood even a few feet off-axis from a viewing distance of 14 feet. If the sample were placed at the side of the existing screen (about 4.5 feet from the center) and I stood on-axis with the center of the screen at 14 feet the decrease in gain was very obvious. Do you notice this with your screen?
post #7 of 8 Old 03-05-2002, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I was worried about the translucency when I held my sample up to the light and could see through it. Since my screen hangs from the ceiling with quite a bit distance between it and the wall, I think the Dalite is out for me. Too bad :(

Now I have to find out if the Firehawk has an opaque backing.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-06-2002, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott B
When I tried a small sample of the HC Cinema Vision there was an obvious decrease in gain off-axis. [...] Do you notice this with your screen?
My previous screen was grey satin and had a much higher drop off/hotspotting. For example, when I was accessing the Windows desktop, I'd habitually move windows from the far side of the screen to the side I was sitting on because the difference in brightness was enough that they were easier to read. I noticed I don't do that any more now. I also did some walking around the room with the screen lit up and the lights off, and given the constraints on my room (the screen takes up most of the wall space so it's hard to get a very acute angle) the loss in brightness was very minor. Finally, with a light on, even an off-axis light, the screen is noticably washed out which indicates that a lot of the light is being scattered.
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page