Suggestions anyone? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 2 Old 03-04-2002, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a room that is 13.5'x25' and I am using a Hitachi 5500W to project onto a white painted wall. I am now ready to get a screen but would love to know what you guys think is best. Screen size would be 116x65 and we sit about 17' from the screen. There are big windows in the room but I have made Thick Red Velvet Drapes to control the sunlight.

Whattya think?

Do I need the Da-lite Hi Contrast Screen or should I go for something with a bit more gain? The projector is pretty bright....

Any help is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 Old 03-04-2002, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I understand that the Hitachi is rated at 1500 lumens. If we assume that this is correct (most projectors output less light than their ratings would indicate), then you will have 1080 lumens on a 16:9 screen (unless you use an anamorphic lens). Your screen has a surface area of about 52 square feet. The Da-Lite HC Screen will give you 16.6 footlamberts (1080/52 x 0.8). This would be fine in a room with light control and assuming that your projector puts out its rated number of lumens. Also keep in mind that the light output of your projector will drop as the bulb ages.

I think a better target to shoot for is 20 footlamberts which will require a screen with more gain. A Stewart GrayHawk (0.95 gain) will yield 19.7 footlamberts and a Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision (1.1 gain) will yield 22.8 footlamberts. Either of these screens may be a better choice.
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page