How to write a screen evaluation for you all - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-04-2002, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have installed a Parkland screen with Ken's digital grey goo. Because my first sheet of Parkland plastic was too wavy for a permanent screen, I ordered a second sheet. I had a removable screen made out of the wavy (and unpainted) sheet of Parkland plastic. Now I finally have everything installed properly, and am prepared to do an A-B evaluation of the two screens, to provide guidance on whether Ken's digital grey helps the Parkland material as a screen for a DLP projector. (The wavy screen is predominantly flat, but has a few bulges that can be ignored in comparing one screen to another.)

I am not an A/V professional, far from it. I have no test equipment and no interest in buying any. I would, however, by willing to buy a DVD or two if it would help. (My current collection is very limited, and includes Matrix, Congo, Jurassic Park III, Saving Private Ryan, Traffic and Hamburger Hill.)

Are there procedures you think would be useful to follow, or visual material that you think would be useful to review, in comparing the two screens?

Are there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-04-2002, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Get Avia and use the color decoder, gray steps, resolution patterns. Gray steps will be most important in telling if you are getting good blacks and gray scale tracking. Color of the screen will affect these greatly. The flashing color decoder will tell you whether the color is accurate at that level of brightness.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-04-2002, 03:54 PM

Hi Tom

I've been looking forward to your comparison of a Digital Goo Parkland vs. standard Parkland. Another valuable comparison would be painting the extra Parkland one of the commonly available grays (Cape Cod, Antique Pewter, etc) to see how much the Goo improves on it (apologies if I'm asking too much of you).

I'm currently with an AE100 and Parkland screen. I've improved the contrast and color with a Hoya filter and the viewing experience rocks for the money, but I still hope for better black levels (of course not at the expense of anything else). I've been wanting to paint it gray and I was considering the Digital Goo but I haven't found any user comparisons that have convinced me. I'm interested in your findings.

The beginning of Planet of the Apes (crap movie, great video and sound) and the Crouching Tiger night fight scene were two instances where the washed out blacks were distracting.

Your NOT being an A/V professional can mean more to me. Some people will go on and on about tweaks that make marginal improvements.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-05-2002, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas.

I already have a copy of video essentials, circa 1996 or so. Is that a fair substitute for AVIA, or should I spring for the new disk? (Since any improvement through this will show up permanently in my pj, I am happy to buy AVIA if it is worthwhile.)

I will definitely use Planet of the Apes and/or Crouching Tiger. And yes, I can even paint a piece of scrap gray.

My recollection of the beginning of Matrix is that it too is pretty dark. Nobody seems to mention it as good test material.

By the way, one reason for the delay is that I had laser surgery on an eye yesterday. It seemed better to evaluate a screen after my vision was de-blurred, rather than before!
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page