Stewart StudioTek Vs. VideoMatte for 9" CRT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-05-2002, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking for some help in deciding which screen would be recommended using a Barco CineMax on a 2.45m wide (8ft) 16:9 Stewart screen with THX perforations. If the StudioTek is a 1.3 gain, does the microperf reduce this? Are there any drawbacks in using the VideoMatte at a gain of 2.0?

Thanks in advance,

James White

James C White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-05-2002, 06:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
James,
I don't think you are going to have problems in any event with that super PJ and either screen at 8' wide. My understanding is that the perforations reduce the light reflected back to the viewing area by about 5% to 7%. I have a videomatte and I love it. The hot spotting in the true sense(that is a glow at the center of the screen) doesn't exist with this wonderful screen. But remember the purists use 1.3 gain , period. I find that the added light and the concomitant punch is really worth the minor trade offs. I have seen true hot spotting and you won't get it with the videomatte but color shift( visible but not distracting) does occur when viewing B&W material. Also be aware that at about 8' from the screen texture can be seen in uniformly, brightly lit scenes with the videomatte.
Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #3 of 4 Old 03-06-2002, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Art - you backed up what the distributors were recommending down here regarding this PJ. Our seating starts about 12 ft back so the texture shouldn't be an issue.

I liked your setup pictures, I would be interested in knowing a bit more about the double CRT setup in your theatre (theater). How big is your Videomatte? Your theatre looks very plush. Do the red colours work well for light reflection/absorbtion?

James C White
post #4 of 4 Old 03-06-2002, 05:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
James,
The color is called" purple red" the pictures do not convey the true color. The seats are black! Everything in the room is painted flat except the accents and the base trim(since scuffs couldn't get cleaned off with the flat paint I later found out). The screen is 107x60 or just under nine feet. The best depiction of the colors are those shown in the curtain detail photo this is fairly accurate. I really feel that the very dark flat color doesn't effect the screen much at all but flat black would obviously be the best from a performance perspective. The stack was needed to get enough light since the Runco 980 ultras do not have the light output of your more recent PJ. (By the way I've been told by several sources that your PJ will stack well in a side by side ceiling mount)
Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page