Help! Paint roller leaving "orange peel" texture on my DIY screen! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-06-2002, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using a foam roller (from home depot) mean't for very smooth surfaces and have applied 3 coats of Behr paint so far. Originally, I used an expensive mo-hair type roller for two coats of primer, which left a smooth coat, but left lots of hairs behind. What type of roller should I be using?? The foam roller doesn't seem to be it. Btw, I've tried with and without flowtrol.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-06-2002, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I used a roller with 3/16" nap and floetrol with a couple coats of primer, then Behr flat white base tinted with lamp black and had a nice, smooth surface. Is your surface perfect to start with? My original tests were on a piece of 4x8' panelling and the results were absolutely smooth. I had to really work at my textured wall to get it sanded down and patched, but now its pretty good. Paint wasn't the problem --getting the surface prepped is 90% of it.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-06-2002, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

yes, the surface was perfectly flat. i spent hours prepping.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-06-2002, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I believe your paint dried to quickly and didn't have time to level out as it normally should. Either your heat was too high or your humidity too low in the room you did this. Not much you can do to save the surface as each coat tends to magnify the coat underneath it. What to do--turn the heat off and let the room cool, even open a window and let more humid air in. Don't start painting until the temperature is at least 68 degrees. Also put a humidifier in the room and let it run as the paint dries. It will slow the drying to 2 or 3 times normal.

Next time try adding a thinner to the paint so it stays wet longer. Also some paints will orange peel more than others. Avoid ceiling paints and egg shell paints and high hiding paints. If the paint says that it absolutely covers in one coat, it is probably too thick for your use.

ALSO, trying to run the roller over the surface after it has dried just 5 seconds will enhance the peel. You have to move very quickly to avoid a rough surface.

It's a crap shoot though. You might find that projecting an image on the surface is fine and that you don't see the orange peel anyway--have you tried this yet?

Bob
post #5 of 10 Old 03-06-2002, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
If you are using water based paints, try an oil paint next time or vice verca.

Bob
post #6 of 10 Old 03-06-2002, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

threed,

Thanks for the info. Well, I used an eggshell paint, water-based, and did go over the paint after letting it sit for at least 5 seconds, and yes, the humidity is very low in the room (probably 30-40%). so i messed up on everything you mentioned, except the temperature in the room which was probably around 68-69 degrees. maybe i could try sanding down the paint to the point of removing the orange peel, then reapply? actually, i have not tried projecting onto the screen yet so maybe before going through all that work I'll try it out. maybe it will be ok. thanks so much for your insights. live and learn!!
post #7 of 10 Old 03-06-2002, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Is it really that important to get a perfectly smooth surface? I mean can you really tell the difference if the orange peel effect is on your screen from your viewing distance?

Mike
post #8 of 10 Old 03-06-2002, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know!! I assumed anything other than perfectly flat would be noticeable. Maybe that's not the case (hopefully!)
post #9 of 10 Old 03-06-2002, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

A little texture is fine. It can even help prevent hotspotting at the loss of a small amount of gain.

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
post #10 of 10 Old 03-06-2002, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

If you are having a problem with the roller use an old one. I know they are cheap but a used roller will leave less junk on the surface. That is why you do not want to throw out the old roller.

If you want a real smooth surface you have to sand between coats.

Deron

CRT Videophile
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page