DiY High gain - What options ?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-06-2002, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK having decided I am keeping my Davis unit for a while longer I want some higher gain out of my screen... I can live with some decreased blacks as I have started backlighting but need more perceived lumens as the bulb ages...

I had ordered samples from cousins video but after 2 months of saying they would ship me samples they have now said that as I am not in the US they will not (2 damn months wasted on mailing them every fortnight to find if it has shipped yet !!)... They refer me to a European DaLite dealer who has no interest in dealing with someone who does not want to buy a complete fabricated screen...

I am a bit wary of paint methods as I have no equipment / space to paint / paint experience and so would like to purchase some screen material with gain for a fixed screen.

What are my options for screen samples in Europe ??
What materials would people recommend for a DLP (I am after a boost so >1.5 gain min) ??
Where could I buy this is a roll for a DiY effort ??

Currently using black out material and looking to improve...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-06-2002, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Phat, are you sure you don't want to give painting a go?
You will be surprised what can be achieved with art products and a fine foam roller, It's not hard to get superb results with little expense.
Check out my SCREEN PAINT posts and you will see what I mean.

ziggy
post #3 of 13 Old 03-07-2002, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

I think your best buying proper screen material. You can save alot of money by buying the fabric yourself and building your own frame. That way you also get guaranteed results.

Another thing to look into is the cost of buying a pull down screen and just cutting the material out. Strangley, it can sometimes be cheaper than buying the fabric as the markup on pull-down screens for the business market are much lower.
post #4 of 13 Old 03-07-2002, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am trying to buy the fabric !!! But here in Europe I cant find a screen material seller and US ones don't want to / not allowed to ship it !!!

I want to DiY the frame (I am thinking of an odd AR) and use high gain fabric purchased from somewhere.

I also have thought hard about screen paint but... I live in an apartment so no room indoors to paint... I live in Europe so the weather is too bad to paint outdoors... Plus I have no equipment / experience to get the right result and the difficulty with the above considerations is hard to justify...

I have had email last night from a DaLite International person who I hope will send me a pack... Does anyone have experience of the Super Wonder Lite product ?? It looks like wide angle / high gain but is it like the high power in that its retro reflective ??

The only people I know that sold pieces to size are cousins video and my opinion of them is not high now !!!
post #5 of 13 Old 03-07-2002, 06:52 AM

Phat, would you mind telling who you got in toch wiht at DaLite. I live in Europe to, and tried to get screen material from Cousins Video, but they won't send it overseas. So there is any way of getting material directly from DaLite it would be great.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-07-2002, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know about Europe, but here we have laws which prevent local distributors creating import embargo's.

I suggest you write an email to US head office, asserting your right to buy from who you want. I will not be buying from my local distributor;

* They provide no support
* They have no knowledge of the product if its not a 1.1 matt white screen
* They put on stupidly high markups (about 2.5 times the US price)

Then send Jason from AVS an email, Jason@avscience.com. This forum is provided by them, so why not give them first option on your business.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-07-2002, 07:52 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
the dalite high-power pull down screen is Cheaper than the fabric purchase as a solo item. So, do like many a DIY'er has done.. buy the highpower pulldown of choice,and pull the fabric off of the roller. lay it out on the wall. The highpower works fabulously with low lumen count DLP units, and I believe this is what you have right now?

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-07-2002, 07:57 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
the dalite high-power pull down screen is Cheaper than the fabric purchase as a solo item. So, do like many a DIY'er has done.. buy the highpower pulldown of choice,and pull the fabric off of the roller. lay it out on the wall. The highpower works fabulously with low lumen count DLP units, and I believe this is what you have right now?
Don't be surprised if I recommend someone else's product over my own. I'm not an idiot. i'm not a walking ego. other people produce product as well, and it's good too! Basically, just because I sell something, that dosen't mean that in my mind everything else is suddenly garbage. that's psychosis. Unacceptable.

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-07-2002, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

KBK, there is no arguement that you have a good product, I'm sure it is.
The HIGH POWER is truly an amazing screen. So, ........ how do we make one?!!!

ziggy
post #10 of 13 Old 03-07-2002, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

I ordered a piece of Draper M2500 material cut to size from a US company, polivision@aol.com (not 100% sure of the address, but can verify if interested - no web site.). They could ship it to Norway, but I ended up having a friend bring it to me when he moved back to Norway. They could provide different brands of material as well.

Gunnar
post #11 of 13 Old 03-08-2002, 12:33 AM

Hi Phat

Stewart Filmscreen have their European office in Denmark. You can call them and ask for Holger. Phonenumber is +45 36 48 22 04.
They normally have samples for all the different materials.

Kind regards, Claus
post #12 of 13 Old 03-08-2002, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK a few suggestions now...

Ken, I am not surprised you make recommendations that include suggestions other than your own product at all... I have read enough of your posts by now to realize that the shackles of corporate 'truths' do not sit too tightly on you :D !! What I am surprised at though is the recommendation of the High Power material for a ceiling mounted PJ ?? I was under the impression that the High Power (one that I was interested in) was retro reflective and not good unless table mounted for a seated position ?? This is why I was asking about the Super Wonder Lite and if that was retro reflective...

As for Stewart Europe although a Firehawk sounds great I am fearful of pricing... The video side of my HT is a super cheap HTPC powered PJ onto a DiY Blackout cloth screen... This kind of setup means I will be looking at approx <$300 options really for the moment.

My current roadmap involves building a villa to build my dedicated HT in and as this has a 3 - 4 year timescale as emigrating to hotter climes comes first in this plan... At this point with good climate and more freetime I am thinking that KBK Goo would be the main candidate then as it provides the flexibility to perfect.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-08-2002, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

1. The first post clearly states he wants high-gain
2. Only glass beads are retro-reflective, draper has a 2.5 gain screen which isn't. Infact, that high-gain are retro-reflective is an exception rather than the rule.
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page