Screen Excellence, Carada, Stewart, Da-Lite, SeyMour AV, Wilsonart Screen Tests - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 06-29-2010, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
umr
AVS Club Gold
 
umr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 10,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have added Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K, Enlightor 3, Enlightor 1 and Enlightor 1 Silver Back to my test report.

 

AccuCal Front Projection Screen Report.pdf 182.525390625k . file

W. Jeff Meier


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
umr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 06-29-2010, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,630
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
What direction did the HP screen shift color?

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

airscapes is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 06-29-2010, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
umr
AVS Club Gold
 
umr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 10,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

What direction did the HP screen shift color?

Few screens have a simple shift in color. The HP shifts color in complex ways with angle and the color in question. Look at the max and average error in x and y.

W. Jeff Meier


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
umr is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 06-29-2010, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,630
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Which HP was it the old 2.8 or new so called 2.4?

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

airscapes is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 06-29-2010, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
umr
AVS Club Gold
 
umr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 10,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Which HP was it the old 2.8 or new so called 2.4?

That is the 2.8 material.

W. Jeff Meier


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
umr is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 06-29-2010, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,630
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Thank you!

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

airscapes is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 07-01-2010, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 3,780
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

I have added Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K, Enlightor 3, Enlightor 1 and Enlightor 1 Silver Back to my test report.

Thanks for your efforts concerning Screen characteristics..........

If your data is correct, which I presume is spot on, then my past thoughts I've considered in regard to projector, anamorphic len, and screen selection have to be re-worked.

AT screens matched with LED projectors have a long way to go..........at least when considering 130" wide 2.37 CIH screen. Being on the fine edge on what is doable or not, does not bode well for all my current video prospects.

BTW, what is up with Screen Excellence? Difficult to contact, especially concerning price lists..........their Tam2 CIH screen with Enlightor 4k material is impossible to spec!

My Build Threads


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
doublewing11 is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 07-01-2010, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
umr
AVS Club Gold
 
umr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 10,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Thanks for your efforts concerning Screen characteristics..........

If your data is correct, which I presume is spot on, then my past thoughts I've considered in regard to projector, anamorphic len, and screen selection have to be re-worked.

AT screens matched with LED projectors have a long way to go..........at least when considering 130" wide 2.37 CIH screen. Being on the fine edge on what is doable or not, does not bode well for all my current video prospects.

BTW, what is up with Screen Excellence? Difficult to contact, especially concerning price lists..........their Tam2 CIH screen with Enlightor 4k material is impossible to spec!

My numbers are very accurate for the samples I have with my ceiling mounted projector. Variation in material and positioning will give different results. It is intersting to see how far off published screen gains are from actual values. Between projector manufacturers stretching lumen ratings and screens claiming more gain than realistic many consumers end up with installations that are way too dim. That is the primary reason I provide these results.

I have not worked with Screen Excellence to have any idea about doing business with them.

W. Jeff Meier


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
umr is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 07-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
 
SteveHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Pelham AL
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

... BTW, what is up with Screen Excellence? Difficult to contact, especially concerning price lists..........their Tam2 CIH screen with Enlightor 4k material is impossible to spec!

Were you contacting the St John Group? They are the ones that contacted me after I posted something here about investigating an AT screen. They were kind enough to send small swatches of each of their fabrics. I have their contact # as 360-756-2205, or
info@stjohngroup.com
www.stjohngroup.com
SteveHorn is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 07-01-2010, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 3,780
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

My numbers are very accurate for the samples I have with my ceiling mounted projector. Variation in material and positioning will give different results. It is intersting to see how far off published screen gains are from actual values. Between projector manufacturers stretching lumen ratings and screens claiming more gain than realistic many consumers end up with installations that are way too dim. That is the primary reason I provide these results.

I have not worked with Screen Excellence to have any idea about doing business with them.

And if it weren't for people like yourself.............consumers like me would expect one thing and receive another!

I trust Jason Turk when he specs the Sim2 Micro at 630 calibrated lumens.........and with your measured screen data, there is no way I can match the Micro with a 130" AT screen. My only hope is with the HP (not AT), which is not happening, therefore my seach starts all over again.

Guess you saved me as I don't trust information coming from the B & M's.

Thanks again.......

My Build Threads


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
doublewing11 is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 07-01-2010, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 3,780
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHorn View Post

Were you contacting the St John Group? They are the ones that contacted me after I posted something here about investigating an AT screen. They were kind enough to send small swatches of each of their fabrics. I have their contact # as 360-756-2205, or
info@stjohngroup.com
www.stjohngroup.com

Thanks, just sent out an email..........

Gotta love this place!

Thanks again!

My Build Threads


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
doublewing11 is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 07-01-2010, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
umr
AVS Club Gold
 
umr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 10,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post


And if it weren't for people like yourself.............consumers like me would expect one thing and receive another!

I trust Jason Turk when he specs the Sim2 Micro at 630 calibrated lumens.........and with your measured screen data, there is no way I can match the Micro with a 130" AT screen. My only hope is with the HP (not AT), which is not happening, therefore my seach starts all over again.

Guess you saved me as I don't trust information coming from the B & M's.

Thanks again.......

Projector light output is even more negative than the tested results tend to show. Many projectors will lose an additional 30% to 50% of the initial light output after 500 hours.

W. Jeff Meier


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
umr is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 07-01-2010, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 3,780
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

Projector light output is even more negative than the tested results tend to show. Many projectors will lose an additional 30% to 50% of the initial light output after 500 hours.

Thus my quest for a viable alternative......i.e. the LED solution. I'm not too keen on the proverbial roller coaster ride with standard bulb illumination.

My Build Threads


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
doublewing11 is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 07-01-2010, 08:52 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
chriscmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: IA
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHorn View Post

Were you contacting the St John Group? They are the ones that contacted me after I posted something here about investigating an AT screen. They were kind enough to send small swatches of each of their fabrics. I have their contact # as 360-756-2205, or
info@stjohngroup.com
www.stjohngroup.com

As of today, St John's Group is no longer affiliated with Screen Excellence. The contact information for technical support or to find a dealer near you is:

Seymour-Screen Excellence
515-450-5694
chris@s-se.us

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
Seymour-Screen Excellence
chriscmore is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 07-02-2010, 05:33 AM
Senior Member
 
SteveHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Pelham AL
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscmore View Post

As of today, St John's Group is no longer affiliated with Screen Excellence. The contact information for technical support or to find a dealer near you is:

Seymour-Screen Excellence
515-450-5694
chris@s-se.us

Chris, I had seen that on the SE-site, listing what appeared to be you/Center Stage as US Manufacturing site. So now, you build both Center Stage and SE? Interesting.
SteveHorn is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 07-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
msmCutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Send a message via AIM to msmCutter Send a message via Skype™ to msmCutter
Good question. Can we get 4k material as DIY fabric now?
msmCutter is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 07-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Senior Member
 
SteveHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Pelham AL
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This doesn't answer your question, but I'll offer it up anyway. I asked Chris who to contact for a sample (i.e. 24" sq, for purchase) of EN4k. His prompt reply was that he would be able to once he has enough of the material in the US to offer it. (My words not his.) My opinion? I doubt that any of the SE fabrics will be available for DIY. I'm assuming at this point that Seymour (S-SE) is being set up as a US manufacturer/rep/retail arm of the SE line, and any DIY offering would cut into their market for SE screens (similar to how SMX evolved). But thats just my take on all this. I could be wrong; have been before.
SteveHorn is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 07-08-2010, 09:37 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
chriscmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: IA
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmCutter View Post

Good question. Can we get 4k material as DIY fabric now?

Not to threadjack - just inserted a little correction when flagged upon - but the 4k material won't be offered as DIY. It's hard to work with and doesn't lend itself to traditional DIY techniques.

We will be manufacturing everything here in Iowa for both companies. There will be some transition period where we'll import, just like things have been, but we'll be US-launching each line when they go through my tweaks.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
Seymour-Screen Excellence
chriscmore is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 07-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Newbie
 
Gr8AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As of July 1, 2010 StJohn Group is now the exclusive North American distributor for IMAGE Screens of Germany, which carries a full line of solid and acoustically transparent screens.

Please review our press release on our web site stjohngroup.com for further information.

Thanks!

Kevin Leja, president
StJohn Group, Inc.
Gr8AV is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 04-17-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,040
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 675
anyone yet tested acousticpro1080p2 from elite screens?

http://www.elitescreens.com/index.php/products/screen-material-93264/1255-acousticpro1080p2

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Archaea is offline  
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off