Elite 120" Cinetension 2 screen has waves - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 07-01-2010, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have a 120" Elite Cinetension 2 screen w/the gray material. The screen has waves (and has had them for a while) in the bottom-middle portion of the screen. I have tried making slight adjustments to the tension mechanism, but I have not had any luck improving the condition. I do not want to tighten the mechanism too much because I don't want to over-stretch the screen. I already see the sides exhibiting a curvature.

The screen is about 2 years old, and I believe it is just out of warranty.

Any recommendations on how to remedy the problem?

Thanks,

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 07-01-2010, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Call Elite now, in fact dont keep reading this and call them right now. Seriously and hopefully its still under warranty.
post #3 of 39 Old 07-24-2010, 01:49 PM

What was the outcome of your wavy screen? I have this problem as well with my screen (same model as yours) and its about 2 1/2 years old. Its only been used for about 2 years though. At first it started out with one wrinkle and now they are everywhere. I kept ignoring them hoping they would disappear, but of course they didn't. Any suggestions on how to decrease the wrinkles for this model?
post #4 of 39 Old 07-27-2010, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That is disappointing. A tensioned screen should not develop waves over time....that is the point of buying tensioned.

I have had rare instances with some of the larger US companies where this happened and ever though they were out of warranty, they replaced the screen. Hopefully with any luck you will have similar results...
post #5 of 39 Old 11-10-2010, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

My apologies for leaving this thread open... After posting this thread I immediately became pre-occupied with other things and never got around to doing anything in regards to this issue (poor choice on my part).

This past weekend I watched a movie and was greatly annoyed by the waves in the screen. So, I have made it my initiative to contact Elite and attempt to remedy the problem this week.

What I have noticed on the screen is that the very bottom 2/3 of the screen (black portion) is wrinkled, which contributes to the wrinkles that go upwards into the white screen area. It appears that the material is defective/deformed and I don't believe there is any way that this could be fixed via the tensioning mechanism.

I will keep this post updated...and hopefully I can get this resolved this week.
post #6 of 39 Old 11-12-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

So I submitted a warranty request and received a response today. Per the response, the issue that I am having (I attached two photos) can (supposedly) be easily remedied by following a repair procedure that was sent to me (attached PDF files - I had to split them up due to max file size).

I have not had a chance to try this yet, but I am hopeful that this will solve my problem. I will follow up with my results...

Alex
LL

TE2 Bottom Wrinkle 3.pdf 199.6484375k . file
LL

TE2 Bottom Wrinkle 1.pdf 302.7392578125k . file

TE2 Bottom Wrinkle 2.pdf 316.060546875k . file
post #7 of 39 Old 11-12-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

A couple more photos of my problem...
LL
LL
post #8 of 39 Old 11-26-2010, 07:32 AM

Were you able to fix your screen waves? I am considering this screen for my HT and would be interested in your experience with this repair.
post #9 of 39 Old 11-28-2010, 10:18 PM

Any luck with the repair? I am also interested in hearing how it went.

Thanks!
post #10 of 39 Old 12-21-2010, 11:22 AM

Okay, so the repair was half "successful." I was able to stretch the screen and completely remove the waves for about a week...and then they came back, but they are not as pronounced as before. I may try to stretch the screen a little more and see if that helps, but I am hesitant on doing this too much because the bottom corners of the white screen are already being stretched outwards.

The root cause of this problem is the wrinkles in the material that goes around the weight bar at the bottom of the screen. The wrinkles are permanent, and no amount of stretching will remove them. Fortunately, those wrinkles are below the actual white screen area.

Alex
post #11 of 39 Old 12-21-2010, 11:25 AM

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I did have a chat with Elite Screens...they weren't willing to replace the screen because I purchased the screen more than two years ago.
post #12 of 39 Old 12-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashok View Post

So I submitted a warranty request and received a response today. Per the response, the issue that I am having (I attached two photos) can (supposedly) be easily remedied by following a repair procedure that was sent to me (attached PDF files - I had to split them up due to max file size).

I have not had a chance to try this yet, but I am hopeful that this will solve my problem. I will follow up with my results...

Alex

I have the same issue, but the solution you require needs glue or cement. Is that easy to fix?
post #13 of 39 Old 12-27-2010, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashamazur View Post

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I did have a chat with Elite Screens...they weren't willing to replace the screen because I purchased the screen more than two years ago.

At least in your case it was out of warranty. In my case I had this problem on day one when I received the screen. When I called they said I had to send the screen to them at my own expense and then they will fix it. This was on the same day I got the delivery of the screen. I can understand if it has happened after a week or even a day or two. It was shipped to me that way and I had to pay extra for it. They did not take responsibility for it being a production defect and they insisted on getting the customer to pay for their mistake. I decided not to spend anything more on their screen so, for now have been living with it and eventually planning on replacing it with a better reputed (customer friendly) company's product.

I sincerely hope you get some better support from them but based on my experience I am not sure you will. I would not recommend this screen and the company to any one.
post #14 of 39 Old 01-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

sashok, Did you fix that wrinkles...
or anyone else?
post #15 of 39 Old 09-30-2011, 01:35 AM

Same model, same problem. Getting worse after now 18 months.
But we are getting great service from official reseller in New Zealand (Tasman Screens) who is taking care of the warranty etc.
LL
post #16 of 39 Old 09-30-2011, 06:58 AM

Wow, those wrinkles are worse than anything I've seen on my current Da-Lite Model-B UNtensioned manual screen-guess I'll stay with the el cheapo solution. I could get 3-4 more of these screens for the price of the Elite, and Da-Lite's CS and quality control is worlds better than what has been described here. Thanks for the feedback and sorry for your troubles.
post #17 of 39 Old 12-04-2011, 03:40 AM

I have a similar issue to the reservegroup picture but my wrinkles are concentrated on a very bad wrinkle in the bottom middle of the screen.

My issue will stay there since the screen is mounted hidden on the ceiling and taking it out is a construction job.

Will not repeat with elite.

J
post #18 of 39 Old 01-29-2012, 11:08 AM

I had purchased an Elite Cinetension 2 120 inch screen in June of 2007. This screen offered the best options of a tensioned screen for about 1099 from HT Market. I recieved the screen and installed it level no problems with the motor. After a few months I did notice wrikles in the lower right side of the screen. I tried adjsuting the tension, and the wrikles continued to stay. I do not use the projector/ screen that much so it did not bother me at first. The wrikles have gotten worse(See attached photo). I emailed Elite in June of 2010, and I recieved the same response of out of warranty, and was emailed a brochure on how to repair the wrinkles. This method seems complicated, and I dont belive I should have to fix a product in the course of 3 years then approx 20 times. I will be contacting Elite again, and will continue to file a complaint. The problem with these big screens, at least in my case I dont use it all of the time as my LCD. If I were to see the wrinkles every day I would have taken care of the problem much sooner. I would like to suggest everyone who has a problem contact Charlie Barrentos

Senior Customer Service

Elite Screens Inc.

16410 Manning Way

Cerritos, CA 90703

Phone: (562) 483-8198 Ext.202

Fax: (562) 483-8498

Email: charles.b@elitescreens.com
LL
post #19 of 39 Old 01-29-2012, 01:31 PM

FYI, I purchased a VApex 100" diagonal 16x9 tab tensioned screen over the holiday (slightly less expensive than the equivalent Elite Cinetension II) and have been very happy with it so far. Install was very easy (took all of 10 minutes to hang it-it actually took longer to take down my old one!), zero wrinkles, nice screen surface (no hotspots that I can see using my JVC HD250, smooth motor operation, comes with manual switch, RF remote, RF trigger and RS-232 adapter (which I plan to use as soon as I get the codes and protocols from Visual Apex). It comes with a 3 year warranty through Visual Apex, which has been very helpful with the other products I have purchased from them (before and after the sale). I've only owned it for a few months, so I will post a followup review after I've used it for a bit longer. However, I am hedging my bets and hanging onto my old but still usable Da-Lite Model B-it's nice to have a backup "just in case".
post #20 of 39 Old 03-12-2012, 04:04 PM

I purchased the Elite Cinetension2 in 2010 and installed in the ceiling. Recently, the screen motor stopped working. According to Elite, the most likely explanation is that it blew a fuse. Unfortunately, Elite has designed the screen in such a way that the fuse can't be accessed without completely removing the screen from the ceiling. This blown fuse will probably cost me $1000 to fix. Elite shouldn't be marketing this screen as appropriate for in-ceiling use if they can't make the fuses accessible.

I also have problems with wrinkles in the screen. I received the instructions from Elite, but as BillB mentioned they are quite involved. I tried to do it a couple of times, but gave up because the instructions didn't correspond to the screen.

I'm pretty unhappy with these issues. Since I need to tear out my ceiling anyway, I'm considering if I should throw away the Elite screen at the same time and replace it with something that is better designed.
post #21 of 39 Old 03-16-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdauber View Post

I purchased the Elite Cinetension2 in 2010 and installed in the ceiling. Recently, the screen motor stopped working. According to Elite, the most likely explanation is that it blew a fuse. Unfortunately, Elite has designed the screen in such a way that the fuse can't be accessed without completely removing the screen from the ceiling. This blown fuse will probably cost me $1000 to fix. Elite shouldn't be marketing this screen as appropriate for in-ceiling use if they can't make the fuses accessible.

I also have problems with wrinkles in the screen. I received the instructions from Elite, but as BillB mentioned they are quite involved. I tried to do it a couple of times, but gave up because the instructions didn't correspond to the screen.

I'm pretty unhappy with these issues. Since I need to tear out my ceiling anyway, I'm considering if I should throw away the Elite screen at the same time and replace it with something that is better designed.

Sorry for your problem. If we can help you in the future, please contact us.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #22 of 39 Old 05-24-2012, 11:51 AM

hello,
My first time here in AVS Forum. I am really planning to redo my home theater and was thinking of replacing my Da lite 106" cinema contour high contrast grey fixed screen to this very controversial screen Elite cinetension 120" screen. Has anybody still experiencing this wrinkles/wavy problems. I am throwing this question because it has been almost 2 years since the first thread got started and I would imagine that Elite might have already resolved this issue with their newer screen particularly the 120"
post #23 of 39 Old 08-19-2012, 02:27 AM

Liked: 17
Bump. Sorry, I'm also interested in this screen or *was* until I read this thread. So close to pulling the trigger and then I have to read all these negative comments. frown.gif What is the point of a tab tensioned screen if it still develops waves and wrinkles in the material after only a few weeks/months of use? Are these just bad screens in a batch, or is the Cinetension2 fine for most customers? The price is so very tempting. The other screen I am interested in is the Elite Osprey.
post #24 of 39 Old 08-19-2012, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
No point in sending emails to them as they say "that is our policy and we cannot help you". At least in your case it happened after 3 years, for me the wrinkles were there on the day I received the product. They said I need to send that on my own to them so basically for a product that has a production defect they want the customer to pay more to fix it. I am still living with it and trying to save to move to another brand. I will never recommend Elite. It is unfortunate due to price people including myself fell for it but the quality and service based on my experience is not good. Anyway I hope this helps some one in the future.
post #25 of 39 Old 08-19-2012, 02:18 PM

I went and pulled the trigger on this HT depot 120" tab tensioned screen and guess what... it was a big joke!!! wrinkles and waves all over the screen. very poor quality Chinese made screen It seems like the same screen Visual apex sells (except no infrared remote). I will post some pictures after I figured out how to download them from iphone to laptop. I mean the shipping and packaging was excellent but the item inside was so so unacceptable! i have to bring this item back to Virginia myself and they were charging me for restocking fee. At this point I guess the best screen for a movie theater would still be a fixed screen! so I went ahead and ordered a 120" from Jamestown because of all this positive feed back and the price is unbelievable! I can always replaced james screen if not satisified. The frame is made in such a way that it can accomodate other screen materials! check out jamestown versus elite blog.
post #26 of 39 Old 08-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 18
FWIW my 134" Cinetension 2 has wrinkles too. Infact, this is the replacement screen because the original one had really bad wrinkles. Mine aren't so bad at this point.

Is there a wrinkle free screen out there? Maybe I drop the motorized screen and get one that mounts on the wall?
post #27 of 39 Old 09-05-2012, 11:45 AM

I was just before ordering an Elite Cinetension2 screen, but I will not order it after I have reading the thread in here.
post #28 of 39 Old 10-27-2012, 02:34 AM

Liked: 11
Wow is elite cinetension 2 model is having such is poor quality control might not consider buying it after reading all this issue.
post #29 of 39 Old 10-28-2012, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall12 View Post

Wow is elite cinetension 2 model is having such is poor quality control might not consider buying it after reading all this issue.
Maybe you can try EluneVision Reference Tab tensioned screen
post #30 of 39 Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Do their Evescense tension screen suffer from the same issue?
Reply Screens

Tags
Elite , Projection Screens , Elite Screens Te94xw2 Cinetension2 Electric Projection Screen 94 16 10 Ar Cinewhite
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page