Microlite Optical Screen - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 158 Old 08-31-2011, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This screen in 120" wide 2:35:1 aspect ratio would have been ideal. I hope HP goes in this direction someday as the Microlite seems to be super hi resolution, high gain, and with reduced light scatter into the theater which plagues the HP. Almost the best of both worlds of a HP and Black Diamond screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 158 Old 08-31-2011, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was really interested in how it would hold up to ambient light and off axis viewing.

Benito
post #123 of 158 Old 09-20-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
yuweimichael = Not Reliable !

See My AVS Classified Ad .
post #124 of 158 Old 09-21-2011, 07:11 AM

Liked: 11
it's looking that way. I understand delay in getting new product out but at least an update would be nice.

Benito
post #125 of 158 Old 09-21-2011, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Benito Joaquin >>> When i noticed this thread back front again i think my heart skipped a beat, that's how anxious i've been lately for any info on a reliable, affordable, roll-up high-gain screen.
By now i can only assume that "Microlite Optical Screen" is a mirage from its creator, someone who perhaps realized too late that here in the US customers are looking mostly for screens larger (not smaller) than 92"~96" diagonal, and now he needs to re-assess his business proposition ?
BTW, have you had any experience with the Da-Lite Silver Lite 2.5 screen material ?
Thanks...
post #126 of 158 Old 09-21-2011, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

By now i can only assume that "Microlite Optical Screen" is a mirage from its creator, someone who perhaps realized too late that here in the US customers are looking mostly for screens larger (not smaller) than 92"~96" diagonal, and now he needs to re-assess his business proposition ?

Perhaps, but he said that they would start small.

It's also possible that he's just embarrassed at having to announce new delays, which are very common in engineering development.

yuweimichael, we understand, but it would be much better to give a monthly status update, even if it's not what you/we hoped for.

Noah
post #127 of 158 Old 11-22-2011, 04:37 PM

Liked: 10
So I was reading up on Black Diamond and DNP screens and came across this thread. I saw that Michael hadn't posted anything for some time and thought I'd do a google search. I came across this site www.microlitescreen.com and according to the intro they make screens up to 120". It sure sounds like the same company. They mention all the same benefits of the screen and they are located in Ontario California. Has anyone tried calling their customer service number yet to see if they have any updates?
post #128 of 158 Old 11-24-2011, 08:24 AM

I don't see which intro you are talking about. I just see the same website thats been up for over 1.5 years.
post #129 of 158 Old 11-24-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

same here. went to the link and got nothing new.......

Benito

Benito Joaquin, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 1-585-454-1460 x110
Email Me: Benito@AVScience.com

Now taking pre-orders for JVC and Epson projectors!

Contact us for your screen needs!!
post #130 of 158 Old 11-24-2011, 02:01 PM

It's not huge...only 80". Brand new in box. Never used.

HELP!... I have no idea what it is worth.

Kevin
post #131 of 158 Old 11-30-2011, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science sales 1 View Post

same here. went to the link and got nothing new.......

Benito

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Benito,
I gave up on these Microlite screens ever coming to fruition, but i found out a similar screen made in South Korea by Mocom Screens - www.mocomscreens.com.
The silver screen is high-gain (2.5 gain or 7.0 gain) uses layers of multi-reflective material as well as diffusers and is hook-tensioned to a frame; The material looks very tough and can be easily cleaned.
These two screens, Silver Brilliance (2.5 gain) or the Mega Brilliance (7.0 gain) remind me a lot of the DNP Supernova screen but at a much lower cost.
Mocom Screens also manufacture what looks like some beautiful looking hardmounted curved silver screens with gain up to 20.0, for those who need it.
Have you ever heard from Mocom Screens ? I just contacted the company and requested samples from both materials; Perhaps AVS should contact the company and request samples as well ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcos
post #132 of 158 Old 11-30-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Benito,
I gave up on these Microlite screens ever coming to fruition, but i found out a similar screen made in South Korea by Mocom Screens - www.mocomscreens.com.
The silver screen is high-gain (2.5 gain or 7.0 gain) uses layers of multi-reflective material as well as diffusers and is hook-tensioned to a frame; The material looks very tough and can be easily cleaned.
These two screens, Silver Brilliance (2.5 gain) or the Mega Brilliance (7.0 gain) remind me a lot of the DNP Supernova screen but at a much lower cost.
Mocom Screens also manufacture what looks like some beautiful looking hardmounted curved silver screens with gain up to 20.0, for those who need it.
Have you ever heard from Mocom Screens ? I just contacted the company and requested samples from both materials; Perhaps AVS should contact the company and request samples as well ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcos

I saw these on youtube. Looks interesting. Are they even available in the US yet?
post #133 of 158 Old 12-01-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidDroid View Post

I saw these on youtube. Looks interesting. Are they even available in the US yet?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to the company's rep i contacted, Mocom Screens is looking for US dealers right now, any of their screens can be shipped from South Korea and the company is about to open a USA factory in California; I've already found out that shipping charges for a retractable screen is not all that expensive, comparable to or a little more than what you'd pay for shipment across USA.
I am very interested on either the 2.5 gain or the 7.0 gain retractable screen and my samples should be here by next week; As i posted, the material used reminds me somewhat of similar material used by DNP screens but at about 1/2 the price.
BTW, when i contacted Mocom i got much, much more considerate treatment than when i emailed other screen manufacturers here in the USA such as DNP, Severtson, Stewart, etc, which literally ignored emails from a prospective customer like myself, even after several tries.
post #134 of 158 Old 12-02-2011, 07:14 AM

Yea, I got the same thing with DNP. No replies and taking forever to get me a sample. They were the only thing comparable to a microlite that I could find (within 2k-3k price).

Are they sending anyone samples? Id like to see a sample before I pull the trigger on a dnp supernova 23-23.

Whats the deal with all the gains though? Ive seen several gain values ranging all the way up to 40, which is impossible.
post #135 of 158 Old 12-02-2011, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since i am seriously looking for a silver high-gain screen i figure it would be acceptable to pay $23 for shipping of the two samples from South Korea, which will be discounted in case i purchase the screen.
The highest rated gain i saw listed is for their curved silver screen that has a gain of 23:1 and is hardmounted to a frame, therefore shipped crated; I imagine that would be one way to go if you want a 120" diagonal screen or larger that's bright enough to display 3D material at recommended levels of lumen brightness.
post #136 of 158 Old 12-02-2011, 08:10 AM

Alright, thanks.

Yea im looking at a 110 inch dnp, so I might fork out the 23 bux and get a sample
post #137 of 158 Old 03-04-2012, 01:27 PM

Looks like it's going on with with microlite screen.

The home page is filled up more and more with additional informations in the last weeks.

Have a look at http: www . microlitescreen . com / Default . aspx (you have to take spaces out)

On their home page the show screen formats up to 120 inch.

So - maybe we only have to wait a little longer.
post #138 of 158 Old 03-06-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunoklotz View Post

Looks like it's going on with with microlite screen.

The home page is filled up more and more with additional informations in the last weeks.

Have a look at http: www . microlitescreen . com / Default . aspx (you have to take spaces out)

On their home page the show screen formats up to 120 inch.

So - maybe we only have to wait a little longer.

Website is closed !

See My AVS Classified Ad .
post #139 of 158 Old 03-08-2012, 02:03 PM

For all who are interested in, there are some screenshots:

http: // www. ibcnet.com/ web-development-company-microlitescreen.htm
post #140 of 158 Old 03-09-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunoklotz View Post

For all who are interested in, there are some screenshots:

http: // www. ibcnet.com/ web-development-company-microlitescreen.htm

Kuno, are you a representative of the company or its marketing?

"Screenshots"? There's a mockup image of the coming Microlite website.

Glacial.
post #141 of 158 Old 03-09-2012, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Really...Two posts and you already wasted my time twice; If you truly have any relevant info about Microlite screens by all means let us know but don't tease us with "phantom" websites and unavailable specs...
post #142 of 158 Old 03-12-2012, 02:46 PM

MCaugusto,

I also contacted the company and you are right, the cost of a 120" or 130" Silver Brilliance model (2.5 gain) is very reasonable if you have the long frame member shipped in two pieces. Please let me know your thoughts on this screen once you get your samples. The compnay also sent me thier instalation PDF and my only concerns are the color or finish of the frame, they show a lighter brown frame and say the color can vary or change. Along woth the fact you can see the silver hangers when the screen is hung. I guess there can be work arounds for both of these issues if the screen is everything they claim it to be.
post #143 of 158 Old 03-13-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

TedO,
I compared samples of the Da-Lite HP2.4, StarBright7, Da-Lite Silver Lite 2.5, Stewart Silver 3D, Stewart Silver 5D, Mocom Silver Brilliance and Mocom MegaBrilliance; I also have a sample of Vutec Silverstar but in my case it is out of contention due to the fact that the screen is hardmounted to its frame and thus shipped in a huge crate.
As a background for these screen material samples, i used my good ol' 1980's hardmounted silver screen (gain of 10, according to dealer) that measures only 76" diagonal in a 4:3 aspect ratio. That is the screen i have been using for the past 20 years (?!) and needless to point out i am very used to it and currently have it temporarily paired with my Runco LED projector; The picture is plasma-like, with incredibly bright whites, deep blacks and that amazing LED color palette.
After hanging the samples in front of the screen i noticed immediately that with the exception of the Da-Lite HP 2.4, all the materials imparted a "silverish" tint to whites displayed onscreen, with the Da-Lite Silver Lite 2.5 the worst of all : it not only turned whites into a deeper shade of "gray-silverish" but it also "sparkled" noticeably, even from a distance of 12 feet away; Also, the material itself is a dark shade of gray/silver with visible indentations seen at close range that interferes and messes up with pixel visibility ! I was shocked seeing that a major manufacturer of screens would put out such poorly conceived product.
All other materials including my screen also "sparkled", especially when displaying white, some more than others; I guess that's the price you pay for using a high gain material, together with elevated black level.
I was surprised and pleased when noticing that my screen "sparkles" the least among all materials - obviously with the exception of the Da-Lite HP 2.4, which is white, not silver - and the fact that white displayed onscreen do not show any "silverish" tint at all and is incredibly bright but pixel visibility at close range is muddled, nearly indistinguishable.
Of all silver materials the Mocom MegaBrilliance was my favorite although it "sparkles" more than my screen and white shown onscreen displayed that damn tint again, but pixel visibilty was outstanding, i could see the entire grid at close range.
The reason i keep pointing that out is because i find that from a normal viewing distance i want those pixels to be sharply delienated for a visually "sharper" picture, specifically considering that is one of the benefits of DMD chips and DLP tech.
I was also very impressed with the Da-Lite HP 2.4 material, but it's my understanding that to fully get the benefits of its 2.4 gain the projector must be mounted projecting toward the center of the screen in a straight line preferably at eye level (retro-reflective screen) and i would rather mount my projector near the ceiling.
As it stands right now, i feel unsure on how to proceed and which one to get. I am even considering keeping my screen/projector set up the way it is and wait until Fall 2012 when LG supposedly will release its massive 84" LCD HDTV with native 4K resolution and hopefully full local-dimming, and then make a final decision whether to spend a good amount of money on a 100" diagonal screen, which would be rather difficult to fit in my HT, OR get that humongous LG 84LM9600 set, drag it home and just plop it in place !
...OMG, here i go again...Will this illness ever end ?!?!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcos
post #144 of 158 Old 03-13-2012, 08:20 PM

Marcos,

Thanks for the very detailed review of all the samples you tested, but now I'm back to square one on picking a screen. My original thought was a Seymour XD screen. I like the idea of an AT screen, but don't want to watch everything in total darkness. Movies are fine in a blacked out condition, but when watching football, I'd like to have a little light in the room so I though one of these screens could be the answer. Watching thier videos, they looked very good with some room lighting.

I have a 70" Sony RP on my livingroom, so I want at leaset 120" in my HT or it doesn't seem worth doing. FP is expensive and a pain compared to an LCD, so to me, it has to be big or it's not worth it.
post #145 of 158 Old 03-19-2012, 08:37 AM

Hello,

that screen material looks similar like microlite screen:

http: // www . youtube.com / watch?v=hoYHyiqQlds

Is there anybody who has seen that material live or know a little bit more than what is shown in that video clip ?

(they speak it should be in the market this year ... and be 2 to 3 times expensive than normal screens )
post #146 of 158 Old 03-19-2012, 09:12 AM

Hello again,

there I find another interesting clip about an optical screen material:

http: // www . youtube.com / watch?v=Sg4-CTx1_uk
post #147 of 158 Old 07-01-2012, 09:16 AM

Liked: 12
Not to re-light this extinguished fire, but it appears Microlite has their website up and running....

http://www.microlitescreen.com/Default.aspx

The site was up and running and now appears to be closed again for maintenance

"Without music life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Nietzsche

post #148 of 158 Old 10-26-2012, 02:02 AM

Because it seems like there is nothing going on at Microlitescreen since some months, i looked around and just found this youtube clip:

http://www. youtube.com/watch?v=Oqpf3FkrMBI

Does anybody know anything about that screen ?

It seems to have an interesting picture quality in an ambient light room.
(They write something like 300 lux and you can see sunshine falling inside an office which disturbes the normal screen but not the ambient light screen.)
post #149 of 158 Old 10-26-2012, 05:43 AM

Hi again,

I just see that the same company put one more video from another high gain screen online.

http:// youtu.be/bDyXFg07kps

This time they write the room should have 500 lux and the normal white screen realy looks more washed out but the high gain screen even looks more bright then the other one.
post #150 of 158 Old 03-02-2013, 10:50 AM

Liked: 12
Looks like the site is back up. However, still no real pricing or model information....

http://www.microlitescreen.com/Default.aspx

"Without music life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page