Microlite Optical Screen - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #211 of 231 Old 07-17-2015, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I'm thinking of getting this screen around September for those interested. I'll try to answer questions for those on the fence when the time comes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 231 Old 07-28-2015, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Not yet. I have started, but had company in the house for a few days and I have to go out of town for a few days this week. I want to compare it to other screens I have and to other samples I have.
Hi Mike,

Any info you can share with us about this screen? Many of us are looking for Dalite HP alternatives and eager to know more about this screen.
post #213 of 231 Old 07-29-2015, 01:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2014 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmurf View Post
Hi Mike,

Any info you can share with us about this screen? Many of us are looking for Dalite HP alternatives and eager to know more about this screen.
I visually compared this screen to many other screens and did like what I saw. What I compared:

2.8 gain High Power
1.4 gain Black Diamond
2.7 gain High Power
1.2 gain Slate
1.1 gain FireHawk
DNP Supernova
Seymour Matinee Silver 2.0
Seymour Matinee Black 1.4

The Microlite screens look similar to the Seymour AV Matinee screens, except the screen material is not as thick. That should help when trying to design electric screens using this material. Brightness wise the F2.0 is not quite as bright as the Matinee Silver 2.0, so the blacks are a little darker. Of the two, I liked the F3.0 material better. You got nice gain from it, but still had good blacks. With ambient light, you want as much gain as you can get without adding too many artifacts.

For an ambient light rejecting screen, there is not much texture to either of these screens, so the screen does not stand out on pans, drawing you out of the action on screen. This is not really something you can tell on a small sample, but I have a 44" wide sample mounted in a frame of the F2.0, so that gave me a better idea on how these screens perform.

I think what will make these screens a big hit:

1. Nice gain without any really bad artifacts.
2. Larger sizes available in fixed frames.
3. Good off angle viewing.
4. These screens being available soon in electric versions, especially large electric versions.

Right now in the light rejecting electric screen market, there are not many competitors. You have SI Slate, SI Black Diamond and Stewart FireHawk. The Slate and FireHawk, while available in large sizes, do not have much gain and the SI BD while it has a lot of gain, is limited in size and very expensive. It will be especially interesting, once the electrics become available.

Uniformity looked good, best I can tell on the larger sample that I saw. Off axis also does very well, especially for a light rejecting screen. I am interested in a 3.0 electric for myself. Along with my dedicated room, I have a family room setup with a lot of ambient light.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.

Last edited by AV Science Sales 5; Yesterday at 10:55 AM.
post #214 of 231 Old 07-29-2015, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
I visually compared this screen to many other screens and did like what I saw. What I compared:

2.8 gain High Power
1.4 gain Black Diamond
2.7 gain High Power
1.2 gain Slate
1.1 gain FireHawk
DNP Supernova

Have more to add, but ran out of time. Will be back later.
Well Mike, you definitely left me hangin' here! That's quite a comparison list - it will be great to get your opinion - I look forward to it!

I'm guessing you have the 1.8 material sample, which I guess is actually their 2.0 material (according to the website and my conversation with Michael of Microlite). They also have a 3.0 material that will soon be coming out, so I recommend you get a sample of that too.

According to Michael, the 1.8/2.0 material is better at ambient light rejection, but the 3.0 is better for a theater room. I can't wait to get samples of both, so that I can compare and decide. I'm thinking that I will go with an LCD TV for daytime, with a motorized screen for evening/night - probably the 3.0 material for me, if I had to guess.

Hopefully, they get that motorized screen released soon! When they do Mike, I will be giving you a call

Dave
post #215 of 231 Old 07-29-2015, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
Well Mike, you definitely left me hangin' here! That's quite a comparison list - it will be great to get your opinion - I look forward to it!

I'm guessing you have the 1.8 material sample, which I guess is actually their 2.0 material (according to the website and my conversation with Michael of Microlite). They also have a 3.0 material that will soon be coming out, so I recommend you get a sample of that too.

According to Michael, the 1.8/2.0 material is better at ambient light rejection, but the 3.0 is better for a theater room. I can't wait to get samples of both, so that I can compare and decide. I'm thinking that I will go with an LCD TV for daytime, with a motorized screen for evening/night - probably the 3.0 material for me, if I had to guess.

Hopefully, they get that motorized screen released soon! When they do Mike, I will be giving you a call

Dave
I'm waiting on impressions for the 3.0. I don't think they are doing samples though.
post #216 of 231 Old 07-29-2015, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1sox View Post
I'm waiting on impressions for the 3.0. I don't think they are doing samples though.
When I called Michael this week, he mentioned that they did have some, but they ran out. He put me on the list for when they get more available.

Dave
post #217 of 231 Old 07-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
When I called Michael this week, he mentioned that they did have some, but they ran out. He put me on the list for when they get more available.

Dave
So did they change their mind? Because a few pages back they weren't sending any samples.
post #218 of 231 Old 07-29-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So did they change their mind? Because a few pages back they weren't sending any samples.
Not sure...

Dave
post #219 of 231 Old 07-29-2015, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Any idea what kind of price range one would expect for a 2.0 gain 120+ screen?

thezaks. Are you sure Michael said the 3.0 is better for a theater room? I would have thought 2.0 would be better for a theater room as 3.0 might be too bright?
post #220 of 231 Old 07-29-2015, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmurf View Post
Any idea what kind of price range one would expect for a 2.0 gain 120+ screen?

thezaks. Are you sure Michael said the 3.0 is better for a theater room? I would have thought 2.0 would be better for a theater room as 3.0 might be too bright?
Contact AV Science Sales 5. I think they're supposed to be getting pricing. As for the 3.0, I think Microlite said it is supposed to have better color accuracy.

Last edited by ch1sox; 07-29-2015 at 08:07 PM.
post #221 of 231 Old 07-29-2015, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Contact AV Science Sales 5. I think they're supposed to be getting pricing. As for the 3.0, I think Microlite said it is supposed to have better color accuracy.
Correct, but an improved 1.8 I saw recently looked more impressive than the 3.0 he previously had shown me. Over there, he played the movie Troy and I was just glued to the screen and forgot all what he told me. Sorry Michael, I'll have to bug you again to clarify which of these is the better screen for hometheater.
post #222 of 231 Old 07-29-2015, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

2.8 gain High Power
1.4 gain Black Diamond
2.7 gain High Power
1.2 gain Slate
1.1 gain FireHawk
DNP Supernova

Have more to add, but ran out of time. Will be back later.
Glad to hear this, Mike. Michael's screens seem to have resolved some of the most common issues found in various types of screens, such as hot-spotting, uniformity, and visible texture, to name a few. Once I get my screen I'll cover this and confirm it, but from initial viewings, I thought they're non existent.
Another thing, as I said earlier, there were certain visual elements which made images more vibrant and livelier. One such example is the image whiteness (or brightness) - which appeared similar to how I would notice it in actual theaters...you know, that sort of Xenon lamp effect

Anyway, now I wonder if projector central will release their review this Friday:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...y&entry_id=696

"Finally, in the screen world we've got some new developments in ambient light rejection materials. We've got three new products in house and ready for examination, which are the Elite EPV eFinity PolarStar, the Microlite F 3.0, and the Screen Innovations Slate 1.2 Zero Edge FLEX. Bill is setting these up and taking notes on how they perform. We are planning to post this shootout the week of July 20."
post #223 of 231 Old 07-30-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximori View Post
Correct, but an improved 1.8 I saw recently looked more impressive than the 3.0 he previously had shown me. Over there, he played the movie Troy and I was just glued to the screen and forgot all what he told me. Sorry Michael, I'll have to bug you again to clarify which of these is the better screen for hometheater.
If you were watching with ambient light, then the 1.8/2.0 would be better, due to better light rejection than the 3.0. Were you watching with ambient light or in a dark theater room?

Dave
post #224 of 231 Old 07-30-2015, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 31
This screen will not be cheap.
Think closer to Black Diamond price range rather than High Power
post #225 of 231 Old 07-30-2015, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
So checking their website it appears (like the DNP offerings) they are limited to 120"
i think im going to cry....
ive been staring at my HP screen with a 'hole' in it (surface was over cleaned in one area, which of course is the only area i can now look at) for the past 6 months waiting on Dalite to come back - and twice ive thought ive found a replacement in the DNP or this microlite, but i need a 133" screen.

sigh.
post #226 of 231 Old 07-30-2015, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
So checking their website it appears (like the DNP offerings) they are limited to 120"
ive been staring at my HP screen with a 'hole' in it (surface was over cleaned in one area, which of course is the only area i can now look at) for the past 6 months waiting on Dalite to come back - and twice ive thought ive found a replacement in the DNP or this microlite, but i need a 133" screen.

sigh.
I'm pretty sure they go higher than 120". Their website may be incorrect. AVS should be getting pricing/sizes soon I think.

Last edited by ch1sox; 07-30-2015 at 06:58 PM.
post #227 of 231 Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post

sigh.
Larger sizes are supposed to be available this month or next. In 16:9 156" diagonal and in 2.35, 180" diagonal. AVS has pricing.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
post #228 of 231 Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post
This screen will not be cheap.
Think closer to Black Diamond price range rather than High Power
You might want to call for pricing. I just looked at pricing for 120" 16:9 and the cost on BD is more than the selling price on the Microlite, so I don't think the two are comparable price wise. You are correct that the Microlite will not be at High Power prices, but it will be a whole lot closer to DaLite than you are alluding. Of course, you would need to be looking at the DaLite with Cinema Contour frame, so that you are comparing Apples to Apples.

post #229 of 231 Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Any time frame on electric models?
post #230 of 231 Old Today, 08:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
Any time frame on electric models?
As of two weeks ago, they were working on finalized testing, but no firm date as of now.

post #231 of 231 Old Today, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As of two weeks ago, they were working on finalized testing, but no firm date as of now.
I'm pretty sure I will want a 110" motorized 3.0. Waiting on the sample to confirm that.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens