Has anyone published the angular response of the new (2.4X nominal) HP screens? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-22-2010, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got a call from AVS this morning. I'd ordered a HP screen the day before -- will be my 3rd, so my mind was already made up. Or so I thought! Apparently things have changed in the Da-Lite world since my previous purchase; I now need to add 2.8 vs 2.4 to my decisionmaking.

Suffice to say I read all 17 pages of the "omg they sent me a different HP fabric" thread + another 20ish sampled from the end of Tryg's epic review thread. Sadly I never found the one piece of info I was interested in: the new material's gain vs angle chart.

Here's the old (2.8) chart for reference: (courtesy of Tryg)

My new project-room still has a lot of unknowns. Ceiling mount seems inevitable in this one (a first for me); furniture width & riser height are still TBD. Bottom line, a somewhat wider viewing cone may be just what the Dr ordered...but I can't get too serious about putting final plans on graph paper until I've got specs to work with. Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-23-2010, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Can not answer your question and I am not sure if you read any of the original post when the 2.4 was discovered ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...577&highlight=)
But to my eye the 2.4 seems to have a steeper angle than the 2.8. If you have had 2.8 screens in the past, what you will see with this screen is darker blacks (not as much gain) and a smaller really sweet spot. These are from visual observations with out measurement tools having 2 screens side by side with one projector. I had a much much brighter picture on the HP at the point when the 2.4 seems to no longer change.. ie moving off axis while viewing. This is obviously all my visual interpretation. Take a look at the screens physical difference in the link that is near the bottom in the first post of the thread I pasted above. If you are ceiling mounting your projector and it is not going to be at eye level, and you won't be getting much gain at all, I would go for the 2.4. Completely off axis it did have better blacks since there is less reflective beads and more white between beads. This makes it more like a matte white screen than the original 2.8. when viewing from the sides Hope this helps..

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 10-25-2010, 03:40 PM

This would be fantastic information to know.

Some in depth review of both materials would be great in general. I am in the market for a HP screen and while I think I would prefer the 2.8 screen, I would feel better about making a more informed purchase.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-26-2010, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Talked to a nice guy from Da-Lite via their "live chat" feature yesterday afternoon. At first he didn't think the new material's specs had been released yet, but was eventually able to dig up the data for me. I merged them together onto one graph...enjoy!
LL
post #5 of 7 Old 10-26-2010, 08:30 AM

Great! Can any private parties objectively confirm the published stats?
post #6 of 7 Old 10-26-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Richard: Thanks very much for publishing the gain graph. I have used it to add the screen parameters for the 2.4 HP to post #2 of my screen gain calculator thread (linked below). Feel free to experiment with the calculator if you wish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 Old 10-26-2010, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warimono View Post

Great! Can any private parties objectively confirm the published stats?

I'm pleasantly surprised by the new material's off axis response. Reading the threads, there sure seemed to be a lot of hysteria over its reduced performance. Not as much gain at dead center, to be sure, but the rest of the curve is very impressive. I'm also curious to see if the folks with sample material can confirm this visually.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page