Your screen size/throw/seating distance - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 07-18-2015, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Your screen size/throw/seating distance

1) What projector are you using? Sony HW40ES
2) What is your throw distance? 15'-3"
3) What is your seating distance? 11'
4) What screen: size brand, aspect ratio, and gain? 138" | Elite Sable Frame 2 | 2.35:1 | 1.1
5) If you were buying a new screen would you go bigger, smaller, or same size? Same size

Regards,

Efrain "AviatorBimmer" Ruiz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2015, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 345
What projector are you using? Epson HC-3500

2) What is your throw distance? 13 feet

3) What is your seating distance? 13 feet

4) What screen: size, brand, aspect ratio, and gain? 120" Silver Ticket ALR 16:9, 1.5 gain screen

5) If you were buying a new screen would you go bigger, smaller, or same size? Would definitely go smaller. Looking to go back down to either a 100" or 110".
Old 09-17-2015, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed that with ERuiz and others, their seating distance is closer than what's recommended by Projector Central Projection Calculator, yet people are happy.

Quote:
1) What projector are you using? Sony HW40ES
2) What is your throw distance? 15'-3"
3) What is your seating distance? 11'
4) What screen: size brand, aspect ratio, and gain? 138" | Elite Sable Frame 2 | 2.35:1 | 1.1
5) If you were buying a new screen would you go bigger, smaller, or same size? Same size
For example, ERuiz is at 11' and happy. But the calculator (sorry I can't post links yet) says the seating distance should be between 14'10" and 23'3".

Does bigger just seem better cuz it's bigger? Or are there other factors involved besides screen type, size, and projector model/throw??

Old 09-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Home Theater Lover!

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2456 Post(s)
Liked: 2233
Quote:
Originally Posted by frey1esm View Post
I noticed that with ERuiz and others, their seating distance is closer than what's recommended by Projector Central Projection Calculator, yet people are happy.

For example, ERuiz is at 11' and happy. But the calculator (sorry I can't post links yet) says the seating distance should be between 14'10" and 23'3".

Does bigger just seem better cuz it's bigger? Or are there other factors involved besides screen type, size, and projector model/throw??

That isn't showing a seating distance. That is the throw distance - the range where you can install the projector.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony...ulator-pro.htm

As far as screen size as it relates to seating distance, read this - http://www.projectorcentral.com/buil...een_size_2.htm

AV Science, Inc. Direct (585) 671-2972 craig@avscience.com www.avscience.com Like us on Facebook

Home theater equipment sales and advice. Call to see the JVC RS600 in Northern California

My theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

Last edited by Craig Peer; 09-17-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
That isn't showing a seating distance. That is the throw distance - the range where you can install the projector.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony...ulator-pro.htm

As far as screen size as it relates to seating distance, read this - http://www.projectorcentral.com/buil...een_size_2.htm
Quote:
It shows both - correlated.

See attached.

Recommended Seating: 14' 10" - 23' 3"
At Throw Distance: 15' 3"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 2.11.56 PM.png
Views:	109
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	945634  
Old 09-17-2015, 11:56 AM
Home Theater Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frey1esm View Post
It shows both - correlated.

See attached.

Recommended Seating: 14' 10" - 23' 3"
At Throw Distance: 15' 3"

You are right - I stand ( or sit ) corrected. Seating distance is a personal thing - some like to sit very close. Some don't. I'm sitting much closer than PC's " recommended distance " myself. I'm 11' 3" from a 128" diagonal 2.35:1 screen, and 10' 9" from a 122" diagonal 16:9 screen. I don't feel it's too close - and some here would sit even closer. It will depend on the type of screen material you have, the projector and your source material too. And if your wife likes to sit that close !

AV Science, Inc. Direct (585) 671-2972 craig@avscience.com www.avscience.com Like us on Facebook

Home theater equipment sales and advice. Call to see the JVC RS600 in Northern California

Last edited by Craig Peer; 09-17-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:11 AM
Home Theater Lover!

I don't use anything on that calculator at PC other than the throw distance / screen size information. The brightness shown is based on manufacturer's specifications - which are notoriously un-reliable. Just FYI.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 22
when everyone states throw distance- is that the actual footage from screen where you have the projector installed? It would be informative and helpful to others to know how far exactly people are mounting their projectors.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Throw distance is defined as the distance from the lens to the screen. Technically the measurement should not be made from the projector's mounting point or any part of the projector's case but only from the front of the lens.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:18 AM
Home Theater Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
when everyone states throw distance- is that the actual footage from screen where you have the projector installed? It would be informative and helpful to others to know how far exactly people are mounting their projectors.
My projectors are mounted approximately 14' lens to screen.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
My projectors are mounted approximately 14' lens to screen.
thats good to know thanks. I may just keep the opening for the mount where it it is then on my build. I was thinking of moving it back a few feet since I believed it was going to be too close ( JVCRS4910 with 120 2.35 carada screen) I thought maybe someday if I go bigger then I would definitely have to move it back according to JVC and projector central's scales. But you are at that distance and are using a bigger screen. thanks for the info, helpful
Old 11-10-2015, 01:28 PM
Home Theater Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
thats good to know thanks. I may just keep the opening for the mount where it it is then on my build. I was thinking of moving it back a few feet since I believed it was going to be too close ( JVCRS4910 with 120 2.35 carada screen) I thought maybe someday if I go bigger then I would definitely have to move it back according to JVC and projector central's scales. But you are at that distance and are using a bigger screen. thanks for the info, helpful

In my case due to my room, and the fact I wanted the projector mounted in a closet where I wouldn't hear them, 14' was about as far as I could mount them anyway. It all worked out close to ideal. My wife wouldn't be happy with a larger screen. You can get an idea of my theater by checking out the photos in my signature link.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
1) Projector: Epson 5020UB

2) Throw Distance: 11'

3) Seating Distance: First Row = 9' Second Row = 15'
A touch close for the first row, but also not too small for the back.

4) Screen: Ultra 100" 16:9 1.1 gain (too bright for this projector, even on eco mode)

5) Planning to do a 100" white-white spandex AT screen (0.9 gain)
Old 11-14-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 205
1. Projector used, I have two projectors that I interchange 5 minute exchange time 4:3 Sharp XR10X and a 16:9 Viewsonic PJD5555W.

2. Throw distance, My throw is variable as my projector drop is mounted to a front to back moving slider with projector facing backwards bouncing the image from a mirror very much like how the new ultra short throws work only with a longer throw projector. My room is 10’ deep but my throw length is 11’ to 14’. Zoom is kept about mid point.

3. Seating distance, My seating distance eyes to screen is 8.5’.

4. Screen size etc, My screen is the entire wall 9’ high x 11’ wide but normal 16:9 movies are 100” to 110”. I project any and all AR from the two projectors with any image placements on the wall I like. The wall was finished smooth and painted with a simple mixture of latex paint mixed with clear poly. It is a wide dispersion screen and neutral gray in color with a gain someplace between .5 and .6, I haven’t measured it. With that screen I find masking almost unnecessary but have a method of masking at the mirror I use for scope content that works to kill the last little shadows if I desire.

5. If I changed anything and I doubt I will, I would extend my slider/throw length and go with a larger mirror to expand my scope movies just a bit. With the Chief mount and the slider and needing to refocus manually The hardest part of changing a image size is getting the one step stepstool out of the closet. Takes a couple minutes at most. I was a lot like the OP never wanting to pull the trigger on a screen so I figured out a way I didn’t have to.

Bud

Sponsored Links
Advertisement