post #31 of 43 Old 03-02-2011, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Joaquin View Post

Just to give you an idea, there are a very good amount of high end dealers that do some amazing set ups that use this calculation to get them started when trying to determine what screen size to go with in relation to viewing distance. They take the image height and multiply it by 3.33. That will give you a very good idea of where to start. Most dealers take that calc and simply go a little bigger and that's how they determine the best screen size. But that's more for clients that aren't that involved in the build of the theater.

Interesting calculation. Your numbers would suggest that a 16:9 120" screen should be viewed from 16' away. 60" high * 3.33 = 200" /12= 16.6 ft.

Most theaters I have seen have prime seats a bit closer than that. I can see that number for a 2.35:1 screen though.

I like your advice overall, Benny, but I still say you need to live with that sheet for a few weeks and several movies before making a decision. Most people choose too small and regret it later because of the first impression that the screen is 'big'. One really does need to watch long enough to get over that feeling.

I projected onto a wall for 2 months before ordering the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 03-02-2011, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

Interesting calculation. Your numbers would suggest that a 16:9 120" screen should be viewed from 16' away. 60" high * 3.33 = 200" /12= 16.6 ft.

Most theaters I have seen have prime seats a bit closer than that. I can see that number for a 2.35:1 screen though.

I like your advice overall, Benny, but I still say you need to live with that sheet for a few weeks and several movies before making a decision. Most people choose too small and regret it later because of the first impression that the screen is 'big'. One really does need to watch long enough to get over that feeling.

I projected onto a wall for 2 months before ordering the screen.

I agree with the closer part. That cal has been used for many many years by some high end dealers across the country. They always use that calc to get an idea and then get their seats closer or the image slighty bigger. When someone doesn't know where to start, that's a good point to reference.....and yeah, mostly always go bigger.

Projecting for two months seems like a good idea. It takes everyone some time to get used to a bigger screen. after that is when you get your itch to go bigger and bigger
post #33 of 43 Old 03-03-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Joaquin View Post

The problem is what if you hadn't tested it out for yourself and all you had to go off of was his 'expert' opinion. I'll say this....i agree with him and it's sort of true. But that only goes for people that don't take that extra step in setting up a sheet to get an idea of image sizes. two piece projection is a very personal thing.

Just to give you an idea, there are a very good amount of high end dealers that do some amazing set ups that use this calculation to get them started when trying to determine what screen size to go with in relation to viewing distance. They take the image height and multiply it by 3.33. That will give you a very good idea of where to start. Most dealers take that calc and simply go a little bigger and that's how they determine the best screen size. But that's more for clients that aren't that involved in the build of the theater.

It appears to me that you've done your homework and put in the extra effort to try to find out what is best for you....you've done your job, stick with what is most comfortable with you.

If you can't decide, play it safe. Go with the bigger screen and be prepared to mask it down on your own if you simply can't get used to it.

Benny

That actually could be a superb idea... only thing my optoma hd65 has almost no placement flexibility so if i can get used to the 119 i'll have to re-mount the projector forward and make another 4 holes on my ceiling.

Could you give an ides of how i may mask a 119" to 110". I suppose i'll have to do it from all four sides but what material could i use...?

Need some clarifications on SMPTE guidelines....

I reworked the image to distance calculator and SMPTE states to have Maximum recommended 30 degree viewing angle.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

So that pretty much makes me a 110" screen at 15 ft which is just what i'm considering.

Is SMPTE suggesting that 30 degree should be the furthest i should sit and preferably i should sit at a nearer distance ( higher angle )....?

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 43 Old 03-03-2011, 07:39 PM

Liked: 10
I'm sitting at 11 feet at 110 inch Jamestown 1.2 gain white. 16x9 looks about right but wide format I could go bigger. Wish I had the 120 inch. Speakers are HTD ceiling angled 6.5 s. With svs sub. In a small room 0.5 x 16 it's an awesome setup . Sounds great. Watched sting concert tonight and can't say enough about the experience.
post #35 of 43 Old 03-03-2011, 07:39 PM

Liked: 10
Sorry room is 10.5 x 16
post #36 of 43 Old 03-03-2011, 10:36 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

That actually could be a superb idea... only thing my optoma hd65 has almost no placement flexibility so if i can get used to the 119 i'll have to re-mount the projector forward and make another 4 holes on my ceiling.

Could you give an ides of how i may mask a 119" to 110". I suppose i'll have to do it from all four sides but what material could i use...?

Need some clarifications on SMPTE guidelines....

I reworked the image to distance calculator and SMPTE states to have Maximum recommended 30 degree viewing angle.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

So that pretty much makes me a 110" screen at 15 ft which is just what i'm considering.

Is SMPTE suggesting that 30 degree should be the furthest i should sit and preferably i should sit at a nearer distance ( higher angle )....?

assuming that it's a fixed screen, depending on the screen manufacturer, you should be able to get the same velvet finish that they use on the frames. You get some of that with adhesive backing and wrap that stuff around a piece of plywood, stick that between the material and frame.....you should be good to go after that. seems difficult but is very easy. Done it a few times with excellent results.

Benny
post #37 of 43 Old 03-12-2011, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

a sincere thanks to all members who guided me in making a decision in regards to my screen.

i went ahead and placed an order for Da-Lite 110" High Power 2.4 with ARN Systems today. Hoping for good levels of customer service and high levels of after sales support from them.

I contemplated a lot over 110" vs 119" and after a lot of dry runs on my wall i decided to go for 110 for following reasons....

1. I really felt comfortable with 110" at 15 ft. 119" was just way too big. I also like to sit at the last row in a movie theater so that played perfectly with me liking a slightly smaller picture than most here.

2. If i had got 119" and never got around to be comfortable with it then i couldn't had moved to 16 ft as my room wouldn't allow it but if i ever get too comfortable with 110" then i can always move forward to 14 ft.

So keeping these above factors in mind i went with 110".

Cheers

Thanks,

Rana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #38 of 43 Old 09-17-2013, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Recently relocated to a new place and m setting up a new HT. planning to get the Da lite High Power again.

Last time around I decided to sit at 15ft from 110" screen as I found it more comfortable than 119". But over a period of few months I started sitting a bit closer at 13-14ft.

Last time the angle of viewing was about 30 degrees from 15ft for a 110" screen.

This time around I'll be sitting at 10ft so looking to get a new smaller screen. 30 degrees from 10ft suggests a 77" screen.

But since I started sitting a bit closer to 110" from 15ft to about 13-14ft, this time around I'm contemplating 92" at 10ft instead of 77".

Thanks,

Rana

post #39 of 43 Old 09-17-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I sit about 14' from 110" HP. Prior to that I had the screen masked at 78" from 14' (room issues see pics in sig)
I would say project on the wall or other temp screen to find out what feels good. You have the projector just set it up on a table to see what works for you from that distance.

Doug

post #40 of 43 Old 09-23-2013, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Guys,

As I posted earlier I was sitting at 14 ft from a 110 inch 16:9 screen @ viewing angle of 31 degrees. I really liked this setup

I've relocated and now will be sitting at 10ft. So now setting up a screen from 10ft @ viewing angle of 31 degrees give a screen size of 77 inch 16:9 screen.

Is it worth setting up a HT of 77 inches ?

I like to sit at the last row in a movie theater.

Looking for some opinions..... :-)

Thanks,

Rana

post #41 of 43 Old 09-27-2013, 03:11 PM

Liked: 14
Why the smaller screen? For me my front row will be appx 9 ft from 106" in our new home

post #42 of 43 Old 10-02-2013, 11:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 99
10ft for a 180" CIH.

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

post #43 of 43 Old 10-03-2013, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm planning to be about 12 ft in 1st row. 17ft from back row from a 144" CIH screen.
Will have a sony VPL 1000ES on a studiotek 130 screen

Why are many men called , but few are chosen?
Reply Screens

Tags
Optoma Hd65 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 720p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page