Jamestown or Elite Please Advise - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #31 of 1022 Old 01-20-2011, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went with an Elite EZ-frame from amazon (92in) got the gray finish. Room has quite a bit of uncontrollable ambient light - and yet the picture still looks very crisp and bright. Gray was the way to go in my situation YMMV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1022 Old 01-20-2011, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikecomp View Post

After much reading in AVS and other places I've decided to go with the Epson 8350 once income tax rolls around. I wanted to know if I should go with a grey or white Jamestown screen. From what I've read it seems to be a pretty solid screen for the price and the seller seems to be very reputable as well. I'm looking to get either a 106" or 110" screen. Because of my room I will have a maximum throw distance of about 11'. Seating will also be about 11' feet from the screen (projector will be on a rear shelf mount). 90% of projector usage will be at night with no ambient light. The other 10% will be at mid-day in a light controlled room with blackout curtains. Movies and Games will be the main usage with a little bit of sports mixed in.

Now my main question is, if I go with a jamestown screen should go I with white or grey? I was thinking grey to achieve better black levels but I'm concerned it may end up looking a little dim for my setup. I've also heard that grey screens can reduce the viewing angle a great deal (not a big concern but something to think about when I have friends over). Otherwise I could go with a white screen (which is cheaper) and enjoy the picture all the same.

Thanks in Advance

Ikecomp I have little knowledge of screens but one of the best pieces of advice I got was to get the projector first shine it on a wall and see the size and color you like best. I did this and actually changed my seating area to allow for more seating and a bigger screen. I also had a white wall so I could see how the picture was and then painted my basement a dark blue including the screen wall and decided on a white screen to brighten the image. The epson 8350 is my first projector but it still blows me away having a 130 inch TV.

Good Luck
post #33 of 1022 Old 01-20-2011, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'll just wait till I have the pj and then see how it looks on my my beige wall.
post #34 of 1022 Old 01-21-2011, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Ikecomp that probably the best idea that way you'll get to check it out first and see what works best for you.
Good Luck
post #35 of 1022 Old 01-22-2011, 07:31 AM

I see several folks ordered one but I don't see their reviews after getting the screen. how do you all like the Jamestown and which one did you get?

DJ
Vischeck Color deficiency goodies: 8.5% of the human population
post #36 of 1022 Old 01-22-2011, 07:48 AM

Ohh, Just emailed Jamestown via their website link and asked if I can get material samples. within 10mins on Sat morning I had a reply and they are sending out samples... They score 1 for customer service thus far.... I ll post a pic once I get them next to my current setup

DJ
post #37 of 1022 Old 01-22-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

A google search will pull up a thread 3 pages long of people that have used them an their ebay reviews are outstanding. Great reviews on their product for the money and customer service is what sealed the deal for me. Hopefully some of the guys who ordered in this thread will be receiving them and posting their experiences. I'll be interested to here your impressions once you get the samples especially since we have the same pj. The company seems solid but time will tell can't wait to get mine about two more weeks. On a side note my wife and I are painting are basement ceiling black what a difference it makes on the reflected light in the room!!
post #38 of 1022 Old 01-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I am still awaiting my screen, when I purchased my screen I was advised that the turn around time would be slightly longer than usual due to the winter storms preventing their materials delivery. Hopefully I will have it within the next week and be able to test it out! I am trying hard to complete my room by Superbowl, and am using an Epson 8700UB, I need to start my build thread soon too!
post #39 of 1022 Old 01-23-2011, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Cheezit73 that sucks on the turnaround time when I ordered mine he indicated normal time of 10 business as indicated on the website. Hopefully you'll get your before the superbowl and finish your room I love to see your build thread so get it started with lots of pics of that 8700 in action and your room. I think I'm going to do mine after I finish since it's a ghetto build anyway. Thanks for the reply!!!
post #40 of 1022 Old 01-23-2011, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I have my 120" 2.35:1 matt white from James on order as well.... Should be arriving this week. The projector is the HC3800.
post #41 of 1022 Old 01-23-2011, 04:57 PM

Ordered mine 110" Matt 16 x 9. Two weeks ago. Not shipped yet delayed for snow.
Can't wait to get it hung. Room almost done . I played around with star ceiling paint
Looks awesome and I am learning new techniques for doing stars before the final application

Epson 21000 delayed as well might have to look at some other options
LL
post #42 of 1022 Old 01-24-2011, 06:04 AM

Ordered a JT 100" 16x9 matte white paired with an Epson 8350. With fantastic feedback and the new aluminum design, I don't think I can go wrong for the price. Plus I have to support a local Tennessee carpenter.
post #43 of 1022 Old 01-24-2011, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Tbradway sharp looking room love the coved ceiling and curtain colors are sharp too. I've been thinking about a star ceiling and would love to see your finished product.Good luck finding a projector your in some high quality territory there should all look great whrn your done so please post some pics!
post #44 of 1022 Old 01-24-2011, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Santi I also have the 8350 and can't wait to hear your impressions yeah the feedback really swayed me into giving them a try plus the price can't be beat!!!
post #45 of 1022 Old 01-26-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Well I just got an email from James that due to the snowstorms his shipments have been delayed and he's running about a week behind,but for guys who want them before the superbowl he's going to do what he can. I'm just happy with the fact that he communicated this delay to me. I guess most of us will be waiting a little longer for our screens but hopefully it will be worth it.
post #46 of 1022 Old 01-28-2011, 01:44 PM

I got my screen samples from Jamestown today. what I see is that the white is identical to my Doable screen image currently. the sample disappears when i hold it up to the screen image. So my current setup must be right around 1.2-1.3 gain which I had seen reference to in the DIY section. the high contrast grey definitely improves the blacks but seems to do so at the expense of all the other colors. esp white and other lighter colors... I am waiting still for a couple samples from Elite....

DJ
post #47 of 1022 Old 01-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Great News!!!!!! I just received a UPS tracking number for my screen!!!! It has shipped and is scheduled to arrive in time for me to put it up for the Superbowl!!! Quickhands hopefully yours is not far behind, also I put a link to my build thread, I will be updating it soon.
post #48 of 1022 Old 01-29-2011, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Great to hear Cheezits can wait to hear your impressions of the screen and I'll definetly check out your build thread!
post #49 of 1022 Old 01-31-2011, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
I got my screen samples from Jamestown today. what I see is that the white is identical to my Doable screen image currently. the sample disappears when i hold it up to the screen image. So my current setup must be right around 1.2-1.3 gain which I had seen reference to in the DIY section. the high contrast grey definitely improves the blacks but seems to do so at the expense of all the other colors. esp white and other lighter colors... I am waiting still for a couple samples from Elite....
Could you possibly post some quick pics of the comparison samples jamestown sent you? After having my projector for a few days I think I've settled on a 102" screen being the sweet spot but wanted to try to get some samples in for myself. Did you you have to pay any cost for the samples and how big were the samples he sent?
post #50 of 1022 Old 01-31-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikecomp View Post

Could you possibly post some quick pics of the comparison samples jamestown sent you? After having my projector for a few days I think I've settled on a 102" screen being the sweet spot but wanted to try to get some samples in for myself. Did you you have to pay any cost for the samples and how big were the samples he sent?

I will chime in here. I emailed James beginning of last week requesting samples of the gray and the white screen material and by the weeks end I received (free of charge) a sample of both. The pieces he sent are about 8" square. The material seems to be quite durable.

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #51 of 1022 Old 01-31-2011, 06:43 PM

sorry to say that I ordered my screen the first of the month. Have been contacting James back and forth a few times asking for a guarantee that I get my screen by superbowl. Called again last week and asked to make sure my screen comes no later than Wed of this week. Was told screen is finished and will be shipped out Thurs. I got a tracking number Friday. Today is Monday and I get an email saying that he is in the hospital and that my screen is still in the works, will not make it by Super bowl. Needless to say I had to cancel, now have to try to figure out where to get a screen on time. This really blows, especially when I have 30 people coming over this weekend for the game.
post #52 of 1022 Old 01-31-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vietcu View Post

sorry to say that I ordered my screen the first of the month. Have been contacting James back and forth a few times asking for a guarantee that I get my screen by superbowl. Called again last week and asked to make sure my screen comes no later than Wed of this week. Was told screen is finished and will be shipped out Thurs. I got a tracking number Friday. Today is Monday and I get an email saying that he is in the hospital and that my screen is still in the works, will not make it by Super bowl. Needless to say I had to cancel, now have to try to figure out where to get a screen on time. This really blows, especially when I have 30 people coming over this weekend for the game.

Same here. His wife emailed me saying he was in the hospital since Sat. She said his brother will try and take over while his is out. I hope James is ok first but also hope I get a good screen soon.
post #53 of 1022 Old 01-31-2011, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Veitcu, have you on the off chance tried putting your tracking number in the ups website to see what it says? Maybe since it has a tracking number it actually shipped?
post #54 of 1022 Old 01-31-2011, 09:27 PM

Yeah, checked it and rechecked it to make sure. I do a lot of online shipping and you can actually create a label and just let it sit there until whenever you feel like shipping it. All that is on there is that a label has been created on 1/29/2011, and that is it. I have already ordered another screen, and have asked the seller to try and push it for delivery by this Friday. If all else fail I will have to just borrow from my parents for the weekend or something. I was really dissappointed with this whole deal as I have read a lot of good feedback from Jamestown. Was really looking forward to seeing their screen and comparing it to the Da-lite. But things happen and I totally understand the delay, its just I could not wait especially when I have 30 people coming over. Otherwise I could care less when they shipped the screen.
post #55 of 1022 Old 02-01-2011, 07:22 AM

Liked: 13
I'm in the same spot most of you are, with the superbowl, getting a screen and not yet receiving it. I ordered on the 18th, so figured it would be plenty of time to get it prior to the superbowl party. I've been remodeling my room, so the old screen (DIY Formica) was removed and discarded.

Sooo

Last night I get an email from James' email address but it said it was from his wife. They said their was some sort of emergency and he's in the hospital for possible gallbladder removal.

I hope the he's ok, but it sounds like another delay excuse (weather, now emergency). I replied and told them I still expect my screen delivered shortly. If they can't make the delivery, I'll expect a prompt refund and I'll look elsewhere.

Needless to say, the excuses are a bit disappointing. If you can't meet demand, you shouldn't accept orders. This is a pretty simple business model and I would expect anyone running their own to understand.

I'm hoping to hear more today. I encourage anyone else that's waiting on a screen to email and ask for an update.

Further, if you can post in this thread, let us know when you ordered your screen and if you'd received it yet.
post #56 of 1022 Old 02-01-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 29
At this point, it is going to be tough getting anything shipped in time. I had theater seating that was supposed to ship last Thursday. The east coast vendor didn't receive the units from the supplier due to the storms out there. They shipped this morning, just in time to probably get held up by the storms raging across the midwest.

I would think that any shipment at this date is going to get held up as well and I would recommend hitting up the local Magnolia or custom installer if you really must have it this weekend. Check craigslist. check ebay for local listings. Check art supply houses for a 4x8 sheet of foamboard. Too late for laminates.

Or just bite the bullet and project against a white wall. Paint the wall if necessary.
post #57 of 1022 Old 02-01-2011, 08:53 AM

If you have amazon prime you can have something overnighted. it's guaranteed at 3.99 so if storms delay it by more than a day, they'll give you your 4 bucks back and you'll likely have the projector by wednesday or thursday at the latest.
post #58 of 1022 Old 02-01-2011, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk785 View Post
If you have amazon prime you can have something overnighted. it's guaranteed at 3.99 so if storms delay it by more than a day, they'll give you your 4 bucks back and you'll likely have the projector by wednesday or thursday at the latest.
And you can return it if it doesn't arrive in time. However, IIRC all the Elites are drop shipped from the factory and are not eligible for prime. Be sure that what you get ships from Amazon or all bets are off.

I forgot BOC in my list of quick and dirty solutions above. BOC = blackout cloth. Available from big fabric stores like JoAnns or Hancock. There is a big thread in the DIY screen forum.
post #59 of 1022 Old 02-01-2011, 09:16 AM

Most of the elites are guaranteed. i dont order from amazon unless its prime eligible with fixed shipping times "order in the next x hours choose overnight shipping and have it tomorrow" ...

Id really like jamestown to sort its shiz out. This is really disappointing. Already having waited 2+ weeks. If you're that far behind in making them, you should be putting in more hours or not accepting new orders until you're caught up. Sounds like he's in over his head now and doesn't have enough material, time, or employees to help him out.
post #60 of 1022 Old 02-01-2011, 02:05 PM

got an update.

James' wife and his brother and law are going to be looking through orders tonight and trying to sort out the orders and let me know when mine will ship.

I've asked her to send me order dates and estimated ship times to update here as well.
Reply Screens

Tags
Elite , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Projectors , Elite Screens Maxwhite Ez Cinema Series Floor Stand Telescoping Pull Up Screen 60 Diagonal

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page