post #721 of 1012 Old 03-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by foraye View Post

In short I got what I paid for. Screen material was probably 70% of the cost. Build quality was not great but acceptable.

In short its fine for what it is (30% of the same sized seymour).

I also have a Jamestown/Seymour AV hybrid (153" diagonal 16:9 in a 17 foot x 13 foot room) and I think this is a dead-on summary of my screen, as well. When on the wall, mine really doesn't look any different from a commercial screen. My room is a bit of a cave with very dark blue walls so I am sure that hides any minor frame imperfections and the velvet seam between the horizontal cross bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1012 Old 03-19-2013, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

That is weird that your screen is 140" 2.35 and came with two middle supports and my screen is 150" 2.35 and came with one. The frame is a bitch to get straight and I never got mine perfect. I will get a different screen in the future when I finish updating my house. the frame is driving me crazy and is kinda embarrassing when people notice it. The screen is the only thing that I cheaped out on just so that I can actually watch movies in my theater.

Same issue here on my 140" 2.35. I'm looking for other screen options in the $500/less range -- curious to see what others suggest.
post #723 of 1012 Old 03-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

A basic white screen from Elite or Visual Apex can be had for roughly the same price as a Jamestown screen - it is just not worth the semi-DIY factor and assembly process for basic white screens. The Jamestown screen trade offs are only worth it for AT fabric screens.
post #724 of 1012 Old 03-20-2013, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post

A basic white screen from Elite or Visual Apex can be had for roughly the same price as a Jamestown screen - it is just not worth the semi-DIY factor and assembly process for basic white screens. The Jamestown screen trade offs are only worth it for AT fabric screens.

So 30-40% more is "roughly the same price?" Not sure I agree with that one bit. Plus the Jamestown has nicer borders from what I can see than the cheaper Elite screens, so it's not apples to apples.

I haven't put one together, but it doesn't look especially difficult. I'd say the strongest negative is the one in which Jamestown can easily control - the lead time to get their orders out.

I called on my screen yesterday. 8 business days had passed (but it seems like James doesn't count the full business day of the order day...), and was told production is running on the "tail end" of the 15 busienss day window. So it should be shipping out at the end of this month... We'll see.
post #725 of 1012 Old 03-20-2013, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

I have a Jamestown screen - it is fine for what it is - that is, a few pieces of wood covered with velvet and held together on the back with sawed off metal bars. Then you have to stretch it yourself. On a 150" screen, that takes time and trial and error to get it to sit just right on all corners and across the middle. It is also a two person job.

You can get an elite 150" white screen for $500-550 dollars from reputable online vendors. 30-40% price difference is 150-200 dollars, and that is a worst case scenario on the delta.

That is a pretty much a negligible difference (dollar-wise) to buy something that:

(i) has an aluminum frame (won't sag like wood or require homemade-looking swiveling support struts),
(ii) is machined and finished-looking,
(iii) doesn't require you to stretch and manhandle the fabric over and over to get it right (this can take a few hours on the Jamestown), and
(iv) you can get quickly, if you so desire (my frame took almost 7 weeks to arrive, but your mileage may vary).

I am not saying Elite is a great choice; I am not saying Jamestown is a terrible choice. What I am saying is that the benefits of Jamestown are very small as the price delta narrows.
post #726 of 1012 Old 03-20-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I agree they both have their pros and cons, but as far as cost per screen......Jamestown is hard to beat.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #727 of 1012 Old 03-21-2013, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post

I have a Jamestown screen - it is fine for what it is - that is, a few pieces of wood covered with velvet and held together on the back with sawed off metal bars. Then you have to stretch it yourself. On a 150" screen, that takes time and trial and error to get it to sit just right on all corners and across the middle. It is also a two person job.

You can get an elite 150" white screen for $500-550 dollars from reputable online vendors. 30-40% price difference is 150-200 dollars, and that is a worst case scenario on the delta.

That is a pretty much a negligible difference (dollar-wise) to buy something that:

(i) has an aluminum frame (won't sag like wood or require homemade-looking swiveling support struts),
(ii) is machined and finished-looking,
(iii) doesn't require you to stretch and manhandle the fabric over and over to get it right (this can take a few hours on the Jamestown), and
(iv) you can get quickly, if you so desire (my frame took almost 7 weeks to arrive, but your mileage may vary).

I am not saying Elite is a great choice; I am not saying Jamestown is a terrible choice. What I am saying is that the benefits of Jamestown are very small as the price delta narrows.

It's like anything else home theater wise - it's all relative. To the guy dropping $20k on a 4k projector, a few hundred bucks here or there is nothing. To the cheaparse who has a $450 projector (me), it's a significant increase in expenditures to get the HT up and running.

I haven't put one together, but I still don't see the install being that much of a negative since it gives you the option of retensioning the screen later. The wait time on the build seems to be the biggest negative to me, as it's a huge chunk of time. I'm trying to be optimistic that the delivery schedule I was quoted is accurate...

As someone who also sells custom made parts online, some of the stories in this thread of the long delays with excuses and a lack of information or updates makes me more than a little irritated. I've found that people generally accept delays when they're reasonable or out of the manufacturer's control as long as they're informed of them in a timely manner. People tend to get really irritated (rightfully so) when they're fed incorrect information or delivery dates that pass by without so much as a peep on the status. So I guess I'll cross that bridge if it comes...
post #728 of 1012 Old 03-21-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruthlyn View Post

Ordered my Jamestown screen on 1/23. Still waiting. It's kinda ridiculous

The screen has finally arrived. Now to assemble. That was a long long wait.
post #729 of 1012 Old 03-27-2013, 03:43 PM

Liked: 11
I have a 140" diagonal 2:35:1 Jamestown screen with XD material available now if anyone is interested. I meant to order 140" wide, so I'm having him build me a new one. I can return to James, but thought there may be interest here. I'd just ask for original price + actual shipping. PM me if interested.
post #730 of 1012 Old 04-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruthlyn View Post

The screen has finally arrived. Now to assemble. That was a long long wait.

I'm a week over the maximum time given on the website and by James himself. I called him after 2 weeks because I had not received an order confirmation or any email communication like the site says. He confirms the screen will go out within 15 business days of order. I call him at 16 business days and now he's had some delays because he had to "wait for some material," and says it'll go out early next week. I was a bit skeptical of this, because it's the same story as last time, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt one more time.

I'm guessing I'll be waiting for many more weeks for the screen like many others in this thread, but to knowingly lie to your customers is what really irritates me. I run a business on the side, and everybody suffers delays in their supply chain or production schedule, but I've never knowingly lied to customers and given them false deadlines that come and go with absolutely no plan of actually meeting said deadline. Sometimes additional delays occur, but to keep giving the "1 more week" story when it's never going to happen is much worse than just giving a realistic estimate.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but the "1 more week" story sounded more than a little rehearsed...
post #731 of 1012 Old 04-05-2013, 09:52 AM

Liked: 40
One week over the maximum time on the website???

Dude, have you not read any of this thread? Nine weeks. Nine weeks.

Dude... I'm sorry. I understand your frustration. It sucks, but....

NINE WEEKS.

The only variable is how many times James will feed you a line of bull, and that number is calculated as follows: Number of times you call minus one.

Just keep talkin'. I'll let you know when you're right.
post #732 of 1012 Old 04-05-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Hahaha dude you are a clown!

- Leon Phelps
post #733 of 1012 Old 04-08-2013, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshawnmcdonald View Post

One week over the maximum time on the website???

Dude, have you not read any of this thread? Nine weeks. Nine weeks.

Dude... I'm sorry. I understand your frustration. It sucks, but....

NINE WEEKS.

The only variable is how many times James will feed you a line of bull, and that number is calculated as follows: Number of times you call minus one.

I know, and I was expecting it. I had just gotten off the phone with him, so I was a bit annoyed at just being fed a line of BS.

I went looking for an alternative screen that has at least 3.5" borders, and you need to add on quite a lot of $$$ before getting to one. So I guess I'll just keep calling James and getting irritated until it shows up.
post #734 of 1012 Old 04-08-2013, 11:40 AM

Liked: 12
I ordered an XD AT screen from James on March 5th, emailed him April 5th to check the status and got a reply that they're waiting on the material from Seymour. Only 4 more weeks to go.. woohoo!!
post #735 of 1012 Old 04-08-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbnc2012 View Post

I ordered an XD AT screen from James on March 5th, emailed him April 5th to check the status and got a reply that they're waiting on the material from Seymour. Only 4 more weeks to go.. woohoo!!

I'm not sure why it would take so long to obtain - I ordered my material (XD) from Seymour last Tuesday and got it on Thursday. And that was a custom, tilted cut, spec'd out for me. Man, I feel fortunate my Jamestown screen only took 6 weeks to arrive, haha. I've built my own frame now - I didn't really save much in terms of cost, but at least it can go together in a few days. biggrin.gif
post #736 of 1012 Old 04-08-2013, 12:00 PM

Man... that's quite a turn around. Did you order the screen from Seymour directly or through Jamestown?
post #737 of 1012 Old 04-08-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think that is an excuse that he has burned out. he has said that so many times already. You would think that he would have better inventory keeping skills from all the times that has happened if it is true. He is already behind so why not keep up with the supplies to make things more smoothly.....Oh, thats right, cause it is BS.

- Leon Phelps
post #738 of 1012 Old 04-10-2013, 06:12 PM
AJ~

I am over 5 weeks on a screen from Jamestown. No response to email. On a phone call I was told "next week" for the screen. That was 2 weeks ago. I read nice reviews about their screens, but I am surprised at the lead time.

He has my money already. Most businesses I am familiar with expect payment when the product ships.
post #739 of 1012 Old 04-11-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you not read this thread??? If you are getting a custom order....most business collect money first and do not refund the money no matter what. James will refund the money. I deal with transactions like this on a daily basis so other than the long wait and not getting back at you or lieing, the money part is not an issue in my opinion.

- Leon Phelps
post #740 of 1012 Old 04-16-2013, 09:38 AM

I don't post much but I got the idea of the the JT screen from here.... I am waiting on my room to be finished, so I am not in a big hurry (though it should be finished within the next week or two).....

I ordered my 110 white screen on March 11 and have not received it yet. I sent an email 12 days ago and like said here, it was not answered. I have not tried calling yet.

I don't really care if it takes another couple of weeks as long as I get my screen and don't lose my money.

BD
post #741 of 1012 Old 04-16-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

You will get it. He is not a scammer by any means so don't worry about that.

- Leon Phelps
post #742 of 1012 Old 04-17-2013, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the peace of mind.
post #743 of 1012 Old 04-19-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Screen was delivered today! Now for the fun part... smile.gif
kbrowntexas likes this.
post #744 of 1012 Old 04-20-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

post pics or it never arrived. wink.gif

- Leon Phelps
post #745 of 1012 Old 04-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Screen was delivered today! Now for the fun part... smile.gif

This irks me.

I ordered my screen March 8th - exact same as you, 110" matte white screen.

I've been given about 5 different dates from James, and I've told him, "I don't mind a delay as long as you're giving me a reasonable estimate of when it's shipping out." It's always been "I'll be getting to your order in a few days, then I'll send a tracking number out the next day." It gets really old when you hear it over and over and over.

After being promised the tracking number two times by James over email over the last few weeks (and a few times over the phone), I called him today and he told me it's "being packaged right now and I'll get you a tracking number later tonight." I'd be lying if I said I believed one word at this point...

So again, the wait didn't really surprise me; but when he was swearing up and down it would be shipped "that week" on the 3rd week, and then hearing the same story over and over, I've gotten annoyed.

I guess my problem is I take people at their word, and expect them to own up to that, and James thinks the correct way to run a business is lie out his teeth over something as minor as getting a screen out the door. If I talked to him a month ago and he said, "you know what, I'm way behind and your screen will be going out in 3-4 weeks," I think I would have been minorly annoyed for a little bit then not thought about it for another month.

The lies are bad enough, but when someone orders the same thing you do later than you do, and they get it a week before you do... that just makes me think he's pulling orders out of a hat and going to town all random like.
post #746 of 1012 Old 04-22-2013, 07:57 PM

Sorry to hear that RPS13. I finally received mine on Friday, April 19th after ordering it on March 5th. I went into thinking it'd take at least 8 weeks, even after he stated it'd ship within 15 business days. So to have it in roughly 6 weeks, I can't complain a whole lot. I'm with you though, if he's slammed, just admit it. No harm no foul.

Finally got this beast put together... still have a little tweaking to do.. but here ya go, Pain! wink.gif

4-22-2013 003a.jpg 748k .jpg file 110" Seymour AT screen with Jamestown frame.
post #747 of 1012 Old 04-23-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks good! Enjoy and shoot some pics with it on the wall and a movie on. We love home theater porn!

- Leon Phelps
post #748 of 1012 Old 04-29-2013, 10:48 AM

My room got got HVAC and paint over the weekend.... there is still some touching up to do with the paint and I need to terminate all my cables..

AH - then there is lighting.... All could be done within days and then have carpet go down at the end of the week.

Today marks my 7th week ordering my screen anniversary ... based on this thread, I have two more weeks to go!!!
post #749 of 1012 Old 04-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunn13 View Post

My room got got HVAC and paint over the weekend.... there is still some touching up to do with the paint and I need to terminate all my cables..

AH - then there is lighting.... All could be done within days and then have carpet go down at the end of the week.

Today marks my 7th week ordering my screen anniversary ... based on this thread, I have two more weeks to go!!!
I'm also around week 7. My fingers are crossed that we get our screens soon....maybe I should cross my toes too!
post #750 of 1012 Old 04-29-2013, 06:12 PM

In the installation instructions it looks like the back of the screen material is black, does this eliminate the need to use something black behind the solid screen? Or do I still haw to cover up the white wall behind the screen somehow?

Thanks
Reply Screens

Tags
Elite , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Projectors , Elite Screens Maxwhite Ez Cinema Series Floor Stand Telescoping Pull Up Screen 60 Diagonal

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page