Jamestown or Elite Please Advise - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #61 of 1022 Old 02-01-2011, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow I have not been on in a couple of days trying to finish the basement before the superbowl and the **** really hit the fan! I hope you guys get your screens before the superbowl I don't know what is happening but the weather is reaking havoc on everybody's business and shipping lately and we don't know about this illness but with all the great reviews on Jamestown through ebay and AVS on them I for one am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I hope this all gets straightened out quickly I was really hoping for my screen by the superbowl so please everyone keep us posted on what you hear.

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1022 Old 02-01-2011, 10:36 PM

I ordered my Jamestown screen (120" matte white 2.35 AR) on 01/03/11, screen shipped last Thursday, will be delivered tomorrow
post #63 of 1022 Old 02-02-2011, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey Guys...

Got an update from Sandy--

She and her brother in law are going to be working to update orders, and get as many out as they can this week. They're doing their best to get everything done, considering the circumstances. If you haven't gotten an update from her--keep checking here, and I'll post as I get them.

Quote:

On Friday, he got very ill and we thought it was the stomach flu. By Saturday, he was so sick I had to rush him to the hospital. It turns out that he has an infected pancreas due to gallstones. They are treating the pancreatitis by loading him down with antibiotics, but it will be a couple weeks before they can do anything about his gallbladder.

post #64 of 1022 Old 02-02-2011, 09:18 AM

Ok I can't find my good camera so can't get pics right now but I have taped all the samples on a piece of Doable board that was a cutoff of my current screen.. So far I would say the 7 gain Elite screen is super bright but dark grey is about the closest you are going to get for black and its really designed for the church or full ambient light setting. in a ambient or controlled light setting. there is some shimmer or sparkle to it and the viewing cone is Very narrow. the material itself is silver colored.. Unfortunately they did not have the 4.0 sample available.... Would not recommend the 7.0 for home theater unless you have sunlight directly onto the screen.....

The Cinegrey from Jamestown definitely improves the black but light colors are not as bright. this would definitely be my choice for a high ambient light setting. with my basement lights full on there is a huge difference in the darkenss of the black but the colors are darkened which I am sure I could adjust the PJ settings to correct for. I thought it was the ambient light that was making images look washed out but realized its actually the dark colors that are getting washed out and the high contrast of the cinegrey is making the darker images look much better in ambient light settings .
The Jamestown white is absolutely a perfect match to my Doable screen to the extent that more than a couple feet from the screen I cannot even see the sample edges from the board its taped onto.... what I have learned is that my DIY screen turned out to be a much better than I expected. The Maxwhite sample from Elite is very close to the Doable. the Maxwhite FG is bit brighter than the doable and has a bit of shimmer but don't think it would be distracting on a full screen. also has a really good contrast. slightly more vivid reproduction than the Doable... of the 5 samples I would say the FG would be my choice with a controlled lighting setting as there is no loss of black compared to the other white samples.

Maybe I will have to consider one of these high contrast grey screens that I had not even given a second thought to before.. a few more samples are in order I think..

DJ
Vischeck Color deficiency goodies: 8.5% of the human population
post #65 of 1022 Old 02-02-2011, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the update jayhawk 785 and please keep us updated.
Southpaw thanks for the detailed review it was very helpful and sounds like I made the right choice in matte white for my light controlled basement.
post #66 of 1022 Old 02-02-2011, 01:12 PM

I spent a bit more time watching with the cinegrey sample and it does not do a good job on blues and whites. I could not get good color on my PS3 virtual aquarium which has the blue water and sunrays shining through it. yellow red green oranges brown blacks did ok

DJ
Vischeck Color deficiency goodies: 8.5% of the human population
post #67 of 1022 Old 02-03-2011, 08:43 AM

I've requested an updated from Sandy, this morning. I'll follow up here when she replies.
post #68 of 1022 Old 02-03-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk785 View Post

I've requested an updated from Sandy, this morning. I'll follow up here when she replies.

I called and emailed yesterday at 8am. Still no response.
post #69 of 1022 Old 02-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I am so super excited as UPS just delivered my 120" 16:9 screen!!! Having said that I feel really bad for those of you who are not going to receive your screen in time for the Superbowl.

So here are some of the details, I will post more later when I assemble it in the next day or so.

Packaging: The screen came fairly well packaged in a long box with everything bundled tightly and well separated inside.

It appears that the tube frame is aluminum square tubing attached to the back of the wood frame to keep it from warping. It looks like it is nice and sturdy.

Also in this picture you can see that the included mounting system seems to be improved over what I have read about the earlier screens, it appears to be a hangman bracket. I may add an additional one if necessary, but it seems to be a good improvement over the two screws method.

Also the instruction manual appears to be clear and complete with pictures. I have attached a scan of it as it shows some more of the details.

JamestownInstructions.pdf 362.546875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf JamestownInstructions.pdf (362.5 KB, 93 views)
post #70 of 1022 Old 02-03-2011, 08:52 PM

Thanks cheezit! keeps us updated. I'm waiting on a 100" screen. Who knows when I will get it...
post #71 of 1022 Old 02-03-2011, 10:22 PM

Mine just shipped Priority mail tonight... I don't know how fast priority is to North Dakota though. I don't think it'll be here this weekend! Oh well.. room isn't all finished anyway I guess.
post #72 of 1022 Old 02-04-2011, 05:58 AM

I really wanted to do business with Jamestown, but after 2 full business days, I still have had no response to emails or phone calls. I know there going through a lot right now with super bowl orders and their medical issues but I have another screen lined up if I can't get this one in a timely manner. Problem is, I can't get ahold of anybody for an estimated ship date and/or to cancel my order and my 10 days has come and gone.
post #73 of 1022 Old 02-04-2011, 06:23 AM

Santi, I haven't heard from them either, but it seems like they're making a strong push to get a lot of product out.

I'll shoot them another email today and let them know an update is expected and the crowds are getting rowdy.

Is yours a full 10 business days passed? What date did you order.
post #74 of 1022 Old 02-04-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:

Santi, I haven't heard from them either, but it seems like they're making a strong push to get a lot of product out.

I'll shoot them another email today and let them know an update is expected and the crowds are getting rowdy.

Is yours a full 10 business days passed? What date did you order.

I believe 2 Fridays ago...
post #75 of 1022 Old 02-04-2011, 06:54 AM

21st ish? Check your paypal payment to be sure. I sent her another email.

I ordered mine on the 18th. So after me you come first lol
post #76 of 1022 Old 02-04-2011, 07:16 AM

Update received!

James is back home and working, despite his doctor's recommendation to take it easy for a few days. See below:

Quote:

We tried to answer everyone we got an email from or that left a phone message late last night.
I am moving just not fast. By doctors orders I am supposed to be resting so many hours a day so if someone calls and they don't get me could you mention that they should leave a message with a number to call back to.
Also with many people calling I may be on the phone with another customer and can't get to their call right then but if I have a number then I can call back.

So, sounds like everyone should be getting an update--or a call back if you left voicemail with a return number.

If you REALLY need an update, I'd suggest emailing, as it gives him the most time to respond and is the easiest way to leave a history without reminding him of who you are when you ordered etc, each time.
post #77 of 1022 Old 02-04-2011, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Folks, Jamestown is obviously a 1 person operation and a startup at that.

Having been there myself, although in a different industry, I know that any little thing can have a snowball effect and quickly overwhelm you. This wasn't a 'little thing'. The Superbowl bulge and the increased press from this forum also likely caused a spike in orders for the guy.

The real point though is that this is a 1 person operation. He doesn't have a shipping department or billing department. Large stacks of queries will force him to spend more time at the computer and less building the screens. It will also cause acid reflux and put him back in the hospital.

You all either need to chill out, sit back and wait for him to catch up as he is already whipping the squirrels, or cancel if you must. But please stop bugging the guy. At least pick a representative and just send one message a day.

I've got no investment here, as I have a different screen. I am just feeling sorry for this guy right now and it is obvious he is compromising his health trying to make it right.
megdagooch likes this.
post #78 of 1022 Old 02-04-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

Having been there myself, although in a different industry, I know that any little thing can have a snowball effect and quickly overwhelm you. This wasn't a 'little thing'. The Superbowl bulge and the increased press from this forum also likely caused a spike in orders for the guy.

The real point though is that this is a 1 person operation. He doesn't have a shipping department or billing department. Large stacks of queries will force him to spend more time at the computer and less building the screens. It will also cause acid reflux and put him back in the hospital.

You all either need to chill out, sit back and wait for him to catch up as he is already whipping the squirrels, or cancel if you must. But please stop bugging the guy. At least pick a representative and just send one message a day.

I've got no investment here, as I have a different screen. I am just feeling sorry for this guy right now and it is obvious he is compromising his health trying to make it right.

Business is business, no matter what the size. When the orders begin to overwhelm you stop taking them. Personally, I wouldn't sell on ebay unless I had surplus stock, or units on hand. People are even more finicky there, than here. He does have his brother helping--and I think Sandy is trying to post updates where she can.

I've asked James/Sandy to keep me updated and I, in turn, would update the forum to help them out with keeping people apprised of the situation. They are nice people, and had really unfortunate timing. They are doing their best to get things back in order, screens out on time, and keep everyone happy.

Suggesting people waiting longer than 15-20 days, should not ask for an update is a little ludicrous though.

I've proposed that they send how many screens are in queue, starting at what date--that will keep things anonymous and provide a relatively good idea to those waiting of when they can expect their screen.

Personally, I thought ordering on the 18th would give plenty of time, give or take a day or two, allow for shipping, weather and any bulge in orders due to superbowl timing.

I'll continue to post here as long as I receive updates from them, and they've caught back up.
post #79 of 1022 Old 02-04-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Business is business, no matter what the size. When the orders begin to overwhelm you stop taking them. Personally, I wouldn't sell on ebay unless I had surplus stock, or units on hand. People are even more finicky there, than here. He does have his brother helping--and I think Sandy is trying to post updates where she can.

I've asked James/Sandy to keep me updated and I, in turn, would update the forum to help them out with keeping people apprised of the situation. They are nice people, and had really unfortunate timing. They are doing their best to get things back in order, screens out on time, and keep everyone happy.

Suggesting people waiting longer than 15-20 days, should not ask for an update is a little ludicrous though.

I've proposed that they send how many screens are in queue, starting at what date--that will keep things anonymous and provide a relatively good idea to those waiting of when they can expect their screen.

Personally, I thought ordering on the 18th would give plenty of time, give or take a day or two, allow for shipping, weather and any bulge in orders due to superbowl timing.

I'll continue to post here as long as I receive updates from them, and they've caught back up.

I agree completely. Business is business. When you order from them they make it very clear it could take up to 10 business days. I ordered one of their 100" screens. A very common size. I would understand more of a delay for the custom sizes.

You're absolutely right about eBay. He has 100% feedback, but if they say 10 and it takes 11, that could result in negative feedback. Their website is still taking orders and still says 10 days. That's not right!

I'm sympathetic of the situation, however I have a chance to get a screen this weekend and I sent an email and called over 48 hours ago with no response. That I have a problem with. If people who ordered on the 18th haven't been shipped, I'm way down the line. Unfortunately I probably will cancel my order, if I get ahold of anybody.
post #80 of 1022 Old 02-04-2011, 09:21 AM

Unless you need the screen for this weekend, I'd wait til Monday to hear something. The screens that are close to being done will likely be wrapped up today and tomorrow. They were even shipping expedited rather than standard UPS ground.

The USPS priority mail someone said they had been sent earlier, is max 2-3 days and delivers on saturdays--so they're probably in a good spot.

I've got my fingers crossed they'll work most peoples' orders out in the next few days. They are really nice people, and as others have mentioned, an unfortunately chain of events (weather, health concerns, more weather, and superbowl creating more volume).
post #81 of 1022 Old 02-04-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Unless you need the screen for this weekend, I'd wait til Monday to hear something. The screens that are close to being done will likely be wrapped up today and tomorrow. They were even shipping expedited rather than standard UPS ground.

The USPS priority mail someone said they had been sent earlier, is max 2-3 days and delivers on saturdays--so they're probably in a good spot.

I've got my fingers crossed they'll work most peoples' orders out in the next few days. They are really nice people, and as others have mentioned, an unfortunately chain of events (weather, health concerns, more weather, and superbowl creating more volume).

I do need it this weekend and for an event on Monday evening.. I also live in Nashville so if it shipped today I would probably have it tomorrow or Monday at the latest...
post #82 of 1022 Old 02-04-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Do you really think marching on him with torches and pitchforks is going to get you a screen faster? BTW, if you go back to the beginning of this thread, you will see that I advised caution for this very reason.

Yes, he needs to rethink his business model. The ebay thing is probably doing automatic relistings and nobody has had the time to think about turning it off. It looks like he may have grown enough to quit his day job and possibly hire some help, but again, "When you are ass deep in alligators, it is tough to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp"
post #83 of 1022 Old 02-04-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Do you really think marching on him with torches and pitchforks is going to get you a screen faster? BTW, if you go back to the beginning of this thread, you will see that I advised caution for this very reason.

Yes, he needs to rethink his business model. The ebay thing is probably doing automatic relistings and nobody has had the time to think about turning it off. It looks like he may have grown enough to quit his day job and possibly hire some help, but again, "When you are ass deep in alligators, it is tough to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp"

The pitchfork method is not my style. That's why I sent 1 email and made 1 phone call.

I think were all here to vent to each other, not to him.
post #84 of 1022 Old 02-04-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

VERY well said my friend!! In my multiple emails with him in doing my research he has gone above and beyond with his response time, his detailed information and his experience. He is a 1 man operation (up until recently) and is VERY busy this time of year (think an accountant this time of year) and on top of that he had EMERGENCY surgery. I am sorry those out here havent received their screens in the posted 10 days but medical emergencies happen in ALL business and unfortunately it affects people. The bottom line is its not the end of the world and the more people email and bother this man (who shouldnt even be back at work yet) the more it will slow down the progress of your screens. If he spends half of every day on the phone and/or answering emails that is half of the day that he CANT spend WORKING on orders!! If people are this unhappy then cancel your orders and go elsewhere or consider projecting onto a white wall (paint it for your SB parties if necessary) or a white bed sheet, trust me it WILL work.

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #85 of 1022 Old 02-04-2011, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santi8 View Post

I do need it this weekend and for an event on Monday evening.. I also live in Nashville so if it shipped today I would probably have it tomorrow or Monday at the latest...

If you really need your screen maybe you could work something out with him to do a pick up. He's based in Dayton, TN which is like 155 miles away (1.5 hour drive?) from Nashville. Just a thought
post #86 of 1022 Old 02-04-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikecomp View Post

If you really need your screen maybe you could work something out with him to do a pick up. He's based in Dayton, TN which is like 155 miles away (1.5 hour drive?) from Nashville. Just a thought

I ended up speaking with him a few minutes ago. I thought about a pickup, but I can't get out of work early enough to get there at a descent hour. He guessed middle to end of next week.

He's an honest guy, and I prefer to buy from mom and pop small businesses so I kept my order with him. I was able to borrow a temporary screen for the time being so I'll be fine.

Best of luck to him and everyone else waiting for their screen!
post #87 of 1022 Old 02-04-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikecomp View Post

To get 155 miles in 1.5 hours I would have to drive 103mph non-stop from point a to point b... Sorry, but the speed limit is 70 here in TN!
post #88 of 1022 Old 02-04-2011, 01:42 PM

No one is going after him with torches--as mentioned, we're just here to keep each other up to date. I received an email from him and I'm one of the lucky people getting their screen shortly. So, for those of you still waiting, at least you know time-based where they are with filling orders.
post #89 of 1022 Old 02-04-2011, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santi8 View Post

To get 155 miles in 1.5 hours I would have to drive 103mph non-stop from point a to point b... Sorry, but the speed limit is 70 here in TN!

yeah, 1.5 hours is probably pushing it. however, 70mph is mom and pop speeds. you could at least do 80 . At any rate, keep us posted. I plan to order a screen from him in the next couple of weeks once I get my samples in.
post #90 of 1022 Old 02-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Someone in this thread ask for buyers waiting to post.I ordered mine 1-13-11, there will be no screen for my Superbowl party, very disappointed.
Reply Screens

Tags
Elite , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Projectors , Elite Screens Maxwhite Ez Cinema Series Floor Stand Telescoping Pull Up Screen 60 Diagonal

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page