AVS Forum > Display Devices > Screens > Jamestown or Elite Please Advise

Screens

RPS13's Avatar RPS13
01:33 PM Liked: 29
post #901 of 1022
01-09-2014 | Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxz06 View Post

Got tracking number for mine yesterday. 11 weeks.

Glad this ordeal almost over with; would not do again.

Good to see James is sticking with what he knows - blowin' smoke up people's arse!

I was much more annoyed at being constantly lied to than the wait, and looking back on it, I probably should have just heeded everybody's warnings here and ordered another screen given the quality of the screen I received. It's not horrible, but I wouldn't call it great by any stretch. Being told, "oh, it's going out tonight"... or tomorrow, or this afternoon etc. over and over was more frustrating than anything. And then I'd call him a week later to make sure he didn't actually ship it and it's lost somewhere only to get some more BS.
Pain Infliction's Avatar Pain Infliction
02:13 PM Liked: 207
post #902 of 1022
01-09-2014 | Posts: 2,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

Good to see James is sticking with what he knows - blowin' smoke up people's arse!

I was much more annoyed at being constantly lied to than the wait, and looking back on it, I probably should have just heeded everybody's warnings here and ordered another screen given the quality of the screen I received. It's not horrible, but I wouldn't call it great by any stretch. Being told, "oh, it's going out tonight"... or tomorrow, or this afternoon etc. over and over was more frustrating than anything. And then I'd call him a week later to make sure he didn't actually ship it and it's lost somewhere only to get some more BS.
That quote was back in October. I think the wait is now 4 weeks.
tbirdman's Avatar tbirdman
10:50 PM Liked: 11
post #903 of 1022
01-09-2014 | Posts: 55
I ordered on 11/25. Excuse for missing the 15 working days delivery was velvet that was supposed to arrive before Xmas arrive a few days ago. No response for a follow up request email (2) for a tentative ship date. Trying to get it in time for the Super Bowl and the Winter Olympics.
smokarz's Avatar smokarz
06:42 AM Liked: 69
post #904 of 1022
01-10-2014 | Posts: 3,282
Wow...this sounds like a PITA to order from Jamestown.

I would probably be better off getting an Elite Sable screen from Amazon with 2 day shipping on Prime membership.
42Plasmaman's Avatar 42Plasmaman
08:17 AM Liked: 37
post #905 of 1022
01-10-2014 | Posts: 5,054
Sad to hear you guys are having so much delivery issues with the Jamestown(ebay shoppingdeals) screens.
I've order 2 in the last 4 years and got them within 3 weeks.
*Ordered through ebay.

One standard 100" and a custom 117".

The build quality for a wood frame is about as good as it gets from Jamestown.
What I've found is being cautious when torqueing the wood screws. It doesn't take much to strip them and then you must get a bigger screws for that specific hole.

Once assembled and mounted, the screen & PQ looks great.
*I didn't cut off the excess on the ends and just tucked them under the frame.

**I used D rings on the back of the top frame to mount mine on the wall.
I believe some are using French cleats.

Only issue I've had with them is usually within about a year, I would start to see small waves on the edges.
I would have to take down the screen and re-stretch it once a year.
For this reason, I replaced my Jamestown screen with a 120" VAPEX fixed screen. ($299 shipped was hard to resist)
smokarz's Avatar smokarz
09:18 AM Liked: 69
post #906 of 1022
42Plasmaman,

Have you been able to do any comparisons between the Jamestown, Visual Apex, and Elite screens?

They all look to be in the same price range and should offer great values at the entry level.
09:30 AM Liked: 11
post #907 of 1022
01-10-2014 | Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post

I ordered on 11/25. Excuse for missing the 15 working days delivery was velvet that was supposed to arrive before Xmas arrive a few days ago. No response for a follow up request email (2) for a tentative ship date. Trying to get it in time for the Super Bowl and the Winter Olympics.

A got an email that said Mon or Tuesday next week it would ship which would be great. I didn't know there was going to be a delay until I saw these posts, but it still works out for me as I'm finishing up other things still in my home theater.

Now if the blind company can send out the correct parts. The blackout shades I ordered came in with all left sides rails. I wonder how many went out like this.

My 4 Fusion Escape chairs arrived this morning so looks like I'm on my way to meeting my SB deadline.
12:40 PM Liked: 37
post #908 of 1022
01-10-2014 | Posts: 5,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

42Plasmaman,

Have you been able to do any comparisons between the Jamestown, Visual Apex, and Elite screens?

They all look to be in the same price range and should offer great values at the entry level.
The Jamestown and VAPEX have about the same PQ but there seems to be less screen texture on the VAPEX screen during bright scenes.

I had an Elite Cinema white and it had sparkles(tiny reflections) during brightly lit areas or scenes.

One thing I like about the VAPEX is there is a lot less screws to install compared to the Jamestown.
The VAPEX frame is also more rigid once completed.

BTW, I also have Carada screen samples of the Classic Cinema and Brilliant White.
The VAPEX and Jamestown screen PQ are comparable to the Carada.

Speaking of Superbowl, I recently purchased a HomeWorx HW180STB HDTV Digital Converter to convert my OTA coax to HDMI (HD) and it works great.
smokarz's Avatar smokarz
04:13 PM Liked: 69
post #909 of 1022
Thanks for the feedback Plasmaman. Looks like I'll need to take a closer look at the VA screen. I am tired of all these DIY screens, especially the cost is not that much more apart these days.
spent's Avatar spent
09:23 PM Liked: 13
post #910 of 1022
01-10-2014 | Posts: 39
I went with a Silver Ticket 120" 16:9 matte white 1.1 gain screen on Amazon for less than $300. Picture looks great on it, but I was upgrading from a Parkland DIY 4x8 screen.
RPS13's Avatar RPS13
01:14 PM Liked: 29
post #911 of 1022
01-11-2014 | Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

That quote was back in October. I think the wait is now 4 weeks.

If you believe you'll get your screen in 4 weeks, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Some people get their screens in roughly the quoted 3 weeks + 1 or 2 weeks, but James like to stretch things out to 8+ weeks on the average order.

The problem is, you're not ever going to know that until you keep getting more and more smoke blown up your arse and there you are 2+ months from placing your order and wondering why you're putting up with this crap.
01:49 PM Liked: 207
post #912 of 1022
01-11-2014 | Posts: 2,806
Quote:

If you believe you'll get your screen in 4 weeks, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Some people get their screens in roughly the quoted 3 weeks + 1 or 2 weeks, but James like to stretch things out to 8+ weeks on the average order.

The problem is, you're not ever going to know that until you keep getting more and more smoke blown up your arse and there you are 2+ months from placing your order and wondering why you're putting up with this crap.
I got my screen in 4 weeks. I don't need a bridge so you can keep that.
07:49 PM Liked: 11
post #913 of 1022
01-15-2014 | Posts: 55
My screen is delayed two more days until Thursday. I've asked for some narrow inside frames for the masking panel so it's taking them a little longer. I got a unsolicited email which I appreciated. It will be about 6 weeks which isn't bad if you are not in a hurry. Plus I like supporting a small business.
RPS13's Avatar RPS13
05:38 AM Liked: 29
post #914 of 1022
01-16-2014 | Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

I got my screen in 4 weeks. I don't need a bridge so you can keep that.

Read back through this thread, your experience isn't typical.
06:01 AM Liked: 207
post #915 of 1022
01-16-2014 | Posts: 2,806
Quote:

I already know. My first screen took many weeks. The second one I got in four weeks. This is why I said that he has caught up. You are just assuming and I am telling you what my experience is.
07:51 AM Liked: 37
post #916 of 1022
01-17-2014 | Posts: 5,054
Quote:

Just keep in mind that people most people who come and post in forums is because they have an issue.
Not many people come in to a thread to post praise.

Since he's a one man shop, I suspect that depending on his load and material available, it affects his schedule.
His estimates appear to be based on best case scenarios and where orders aren't overwhelming and all material is on hand.

Those of you who bought on ebay should note any issues in your feedback.
10:30 AM Liked: 207
post #917 of 1022
01-17-2014 | Posts: 2,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Just keep in mind that people most people who come and post in forums is because they have an issue.
Not many people come in to a thread to post praise.

Since he's a one man shop, I suspect that depending on his load and material available, it affects his schedule.
His estimates appear to be based on best case scenarios and where orders aren't overwhelming and all material is on hand.

Those of you who bought on ebay should note any issues in your feedback.
+1 and any review on the internet for that matter. I ordered a sub from Jtr around Christmas and got quoted at least a month but it might take even longer. Who knows? That's the way it just is with small companies.
10:22 PM Liked: 11
post #918 of 1022
01-18-2014 | Posts: 55
I just got my tracking number for my screen. James appears to be working late as the email came from him at almost midnight his time. Looks like the shades may be the hold up for the Super Bowl.mad.gif
11:53 PM Liked: 11
post #919 of 1022
01-28-2014 | Posts: 55
I received my screen on Monday 1/27. I ordered it on 11/25. However they were holidays in between, plus I had him build masking panels. Screen was 120" 2.35 AT Seymour AV screen material. The back of the screen is sturdy with the two frames although not pretty. Definitely a professional assembly line. But who cares as the front is what will be seen and that looks good.

Instructions had some errors and failed to mention which side was the projection side. Also appeared to be short some screws and spacers. Not major as a quick run to the HW store took care of that. The screen material had grommets which was a surprise. You use the supplied cable ties to tension the screen. Going slow and methodical the screen came out great the first time.

Two French cleats were supplied. I wish some mechanical drawings would have been supplied so I wouldn't have to figure out where to mount the brackets on the wall. I'm right against some ceiling ductwork so every inch counts. I hope I'm right with my measurements as I'm saving the mounting the screen until tomorrow.smile.gif

In summary if you don't mind the back not being pretty, it's well worth the money paid.
06:37 AM Liked: 207
post #920 of 1022
01-29-2014 | Posts: 2,806
Quote:

I received my screen on Monday 1/27. I ordered it on 11/25. However they were holidays in between, plus I had him build masking panels. Screen was 120" 2.35 AT Seymour AV screen material. The back of the screen is sturdy with the two frames although not pretty. Definitely a professional assembly line. But who cares as the front is what will be seen and that looks good.

Instructions had some errors and failed to mention which side was the projection side. Also appeared to be short some screws and spacers. Not major as a quick run to the HW store took care of that. The screen material had grommets which was a surprise. You use the supplied cable ties to tension the screen. Going slow and methodical the screen came out great the first time.

Two French cleats were supplied. I wish some mechanical drawings would have been supplied so I wouldn't have to figure out where to mount the brackets on the wall. I'm right against some ceiling ductwork so every inch counts. I hope I'm right with my measurements as I'm saving the mounting the screen until tomorrow.smile.gif

In summary if you don't mind the back not being pretty, it's well worth the money paid.

Pics or it didn't happen. tongue.gif

Looks like James is going with a different method for his screens now. Grommets does sound like a better way of doing it.
bighvy76's Avatar bighvy76
09:55 AM Liked: 25
post #921 of 1022
01-29-2014 | Posts: 197
Got mine just a couple months ago and it still has tab tensions.
12:48 AM Liked: 11
post #922 of 1022
01-30-2014 | Posts: 55
Might be different method fro the AT screens. Anyway amazingly the cable ties did a great job. I must work slower than others as I probably have 6 hours into assembling and hanging the screen.

Got the AT masking panels today, and they are very well done. They disappear when viewing 16.9 material.

Screen was hung today. Biggest time sink was trying to get the AE8000U lens memory work for 2.35 and 16.9 CIH. I have issues as my lens is above the screen which cause limitations in the zoom and electronic vertical shift. I think I now have it dialed in.

Will try to get picture when all done this weekend. Attempt to take pictures have been difficult as a dark painted room is not conducive to an amateur taking photos.smile.gif
Keith Mickunas's Avatar Keith Mickunas
04:10 PM Liked: 73
post #923 of 1022
02-10-2014 | Posts: 790
Quote:

Might be different method fro the AT screens. Anyway amazingly the cable ties did a great job. I must work slower than others as I probably have 6 hours into assembling and hanging the screen.

Got the AT masking panels today, and they are very well done. They disappear when viewing 16.9 material.

Screen was hung today. Biggest time sink was trying to get the AE8000U lens memory work for 2.35 and 16.9 CIH. I have issues as my lens is above the screen which cause limitations in the zoom and electronic vertical shift. I think I now have it dialed in.

Will try to get picture when all done this weekend. Attempt to take pictures have been difficult as a dark painted room is not conducive to an amateur taking photos.smile.gif

What are Jamestown's masking panels like? I don't think they're on his site anywhere. I'm seriously considering getting an AT screen from him in a few months, and based on the recent news it sounds like I'll really like it. I'll probably add the panels too.
05:20 PM Liked: 11
post #924 of 1022
02-10-2014 | Posts: 55
They nice. The ones I bought have plastic tabs so you insert one end and press fit in the other end. I was going to suggest to James that he embedded magnets in the frame of the screen and also on the topo and bottom of the masking panels as that way he doesn't have to depend on a press fit to secure the panels.

Mine are AT and he custom made the width of the framing material so they wouldn't interfere with my speakers.

I would post a picture except for some reason this forum won't let me. When I click on the option to embed a photo, none of the buttons are active in the dialog box.
12:13 PM Liked: 73
post #925 of 1022
02-11-2014 | Posts: 790
Thanks tbirdman. I've read a good bit of this thread, and while I see there's been some issues with timely delivery, I really like what Jamestown is doing. Nice to know he'll do custom masking panels also.

I would think that you have enough posts to post pictures now. You might check with a mod or in the Forum Operations Center. I'm sure others would be interested in seeing any pics you can provide.
02:41 PM Liked: 11
post #926 of 1022
02-11-2014 | Posts: 55

It appears to be a browser issue.

10X20X8 room.

AE8000U

120" 2.35 Jamestown Seymour AV Centerstage XD AT screen with custom masking panels

Harmony Ultimate remote

Denon X4000

Sony BDP-5100S

UIW RLS III LCR

UIW RSS III Side surrounds

ProMonitor 1000 rear surrounds

Outlaw LFPM-1 plus

Fusion Escape Chairs

Slumber Shade balckout shades

Flat back front wall and ceiling, burgundy sidewalls, black velvet doors and metallic gold trim

Projector mounted about 14' back.

All audio, DVT, Blu ray player in closet in rear of room.

My conclusion of the build.

You have more flexibility on ambient light and colors then you may get the impression from this forum. Some recommendations are to paint the front sidewalls up to 4 feet back in flat black. This appears to be totally unnecessary. Also you don't need total blackout. I can raise the shades a bit a still get a great picture. I even have a 1" bottom gap on the front door near the screen where the hall light can sign through and it doesn't affect the picture along with the light beige carpet. So lighter colors can work in a theater.

I mounted the projector above the screen as I had issue with ductwork running down the top left side wall which forced me to mount the screen 10' from the ceiling. This also drove me to a 2.35 CIH screen. The only way I could get the zoom memory to work is to slightly aim the projector downwards and use keystone correction. Picture looks find although menus are a little weird from the projector as keystone correction is not used on them.

Quiet Mica Panel Delonghi heater HMP1500 plugged into a Lux Win 100 AC outlet programmable thermostat. Even though I have heat, I need to raise the temp a few degrees ebing that is on the bottom floor of a three story house.

Front door entrance

Rear closet for equipment

2.235 without masking panels

Masking panels with tab inserts

Masking panel inserted into screen

Screen with masking panels installed

Most important accessory:-)

You need to make a statement

Second most important accessory.

Three ground level windows. Below window is sheetrock enclosed concrete foundation. Painted flat black from the ceiling about 10" down on the walls to align with the heating duct.

View from the second row. Have ~8" riser.

03:26 PM Liked: 73
post #927 of 1022
02-11-2014 | Posts: 790
Ah, I didn't realize you had a 2.35:1 screen, that's what you meant when you mentioned getting masks that wouldn't interfere with your speakers. That looks like a pretty good setup, and not too different than from what I'll be doing in the near future.

I have a new house being built right now, it's just through framing and once a few loose ends are tied up they should be able to start with the drywall. I have a room that will be about 12x19 with a 10' ceiling. I'm planning on a 120" 16x9 screen, an Epson 5030 projector, and am also leaning towards DefTech in-walls. I'm thinking of using the UIW RLS II across the front, UIW RSS II on the side, and for the rear UIW 75 or UIW RLS III.

Now I just have to find out if he's got a way of doing top and bottom masking.
ghus's Avatar ghus
08:30 PM Liked: 10
post #928 of 1022
02-17-2014 | Posts: 7
oh boy i went through pages and pages of this thread hoping to find useful information on these 2 screens like tests, performance stuff, comparisons, ideas and unfortunately 95% of it is postings of the type i ordered it and its late, oh yeah i ordered it too and its also late. Arghhh newbies like me are starving for substantial info, guys. Anyway let me not contribute to this whining and get to the point smile.gif

Before my questions to the group though let me disclose my rig. Its an Epson 5020 for which i have ordered an LPE filter to get some more light output out of it.

1) At some point early on in the thread there was some mention from a user that was planning to get a white one and then later on maybe paint it gray if need be. I also on the fence regarding white and gray. So my question is: what would you guys advice for high gain gray paint. Let me also add that i am not very happy with sparklies, i took a few elite material off my list because of these side effect. Kinda liked jamestown white material because of the lack of hotspotting, sparklies and good overall performance for my taste.

I prefer a solid gray and black performance a lot which is why i am getting the LPE filter for some punch there since considering to get the gray (even though its not high gain) or at least the white and maybe turn it into gray. Which gets me to my second question.

2) Anybody using the gray with an Epson 5020 out there, hows is the 3D? Is it lacking output at all, do you have to use the dynamic mode to get the 3D at a satisfying level? Any regrets to switch to white. I am guessing projector would need some recalibration to get the colors accurate on a gray.

3) If I was to get a second screen for mobility (retractable) which one would you suggest Elite or Vapex? I am mostly concerned with quality of mechanism over time and tensioning. If they're likely to develop ripples I will not be considering them. Hows the Vapex material by the way, is it same reflection properties as Jamestown or more like the Elite? Havent asked for samples yet so I do not have any experience.

Thanks in advance guys !
06:31 AM Liked: 207
post #929 of 1022
02-18-2014 | Posts: 2,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghus View Post

oh boy i went through pages and pages of this thread hoping to find useful information on these 2 screens like tests, performance stuff, comparisons, ideas and unfortunately 95% of it is postings of the type i ordered it and its late, oh yeah i ordered it too and its also late. Arghhh newbies like me are starving for substantial info, guys. Anyway let me not contribute to this whining and get to the point smile.gif

Before my questions to the group though let me disclose my rig. Its an Epson 5020 for which i have ordered an LPE filter to get some more light output out of it.

1) At some point early on in the thread there was some mention from a user that was planning to get a white one and then later on maybe paint it gray if need be. I also on the fence regarding white and gray. So my question is: what would you guys advice for high gain gray paint. Let me also add that i am not very happy with sparklies, i took a few elite material off my list because of these side effect. Kinda liked jamestown white material because of the lack of hotspotting, sparklies and good overall performance for my taste.

I prefer a solid gray and black performance a lot which is why i am getting the LPE filter for some punch there since considering to get the gray (even though its not high gain) or at least the white and maybe turn it into gray. Which gets me to my second question.

2) Anybody using the gray with an Epson 5020 out there, hows is the 3D? Is it lacking output at all, do you have to use the dynamic mode to get the 3D at a satisfying level? Any regrets to switch to white. I am guessing projector would need some recalibration to get the colors accurate on a gray.

3) If I was to get a second screen for mobility (retractable) which one would you suggest Elite or Vapex? I am mostly concerned with quality of mechanism over time and tensioning. If they're likely to develop ripples I will not be considering them. Hows the Vapex material by the way, is it same reflection properties as Jamestown or more like the Elite? Havent asked for samples yet so I do not have any experience.

Thanks in advance guys !

First of all, the LPE filter is for high lamp mode and getting the projector to look more realistic without calibration. It does not make the 5020 brighter. Next, you need to tell us how you are going to be viewing your image. Are you going to be watching with the lights on and that is why you are considering a gray screen? The 5020 is a very bright projector (I have on and use the lowest light setting) and I use Jamestown with the Seymour center stage material. I have also used his other matte white material and they both were just fine on athe lowest light setting. However, my viewing in in a light controlled theater.
ghus's Avatar ghus
01:55 PM Liked: 10
post #930 of 1022
02-18-2014 | Posts: 7
Well yes ... correct. Was hoping to use the filter in order to achieve a calibrated setup at the > 1500 lumens range. I am concerned that with sub 800 lumens that the more accurate modes (thx, natural, cinema) deliver would not be enough for 0.8 gain for 3D as well. I do not have sufficient light control in my room and my walls are a nice off white that does miracles with enhancing reflections. Most importantly due to regulatory restrictions (wife !) painting everything black or blue would not all that smart lol. So while using the projector without a screen now i experience somewhat of washed out blacks which the white screen actually makes it worst. I was wondering if 3D is enjoyable with gray 0.8 at the living room mode with > 1500 lumens.

A higher gain alternative in grey would be awesome but then again I liked the reflection characteristics of jame's material. Other options out there for high gain grey exceed the target price range by quite much. Thus I was exploring the possibility of a high gain grey paint but I have no clue where to find one. Unless of course the higher output of living room mode is more than enough to drive cool 3D experience on a 0.8.

Tx.
Tags: Elite , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Projectors , Elite Screens Maxwhite Ez Cinema Series Floor Stand Telescoping Pull Up Screen 60 Diagonal

Reply Screens

Subscribe to this Thread