3Likes

post #931 of 1019 Old 02-28-2014, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighvy76 View Post

Got mine just a couple months ago and it still has tab tensions.

I just received my screen from Jamestown... A custom 115" matte white non-AT and the tensioning system is grommets every 8" or so and twist ties. I haven't assembled yet but can post some images if anyone would like. After reading the instructions on my screen and helping my friend tighten his tab tension Jamestown..... I think it'll be an easier solution.... Time will tell if it's better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1019 Old 02-28-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Yes post pics. I have not seen the new style screens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #933 of 1019 Old 03-08-2014, 01:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
looking forward to more pictures, I am now seriously considering a Jamestown screen smile.gif

post #934 of 1019 Old 03-10-2014, 05:05 AM

Liked: 10
The rest of the screen construction is very similar to that which had already been posted. Sorry I don't have a picture after the ties were tightened........ I got a bit excited to get the thing up.

As I said before I have tightened a tab tensioned Jamestown before and after my installation I'll say this was easier. The hardest part was putting the bar back down and preventing the ties from flipping upside down. The tightening method is the same in terms of where you start in the middle and how you cycle through the positions...... but way easier. You don't have to pull on the tabs or use a screwdriver... Just slowly tighten the zip ties. I was able to do this solo and I am very pleased with the end result.

Here is the bar in place after putting in the ties.

Here are the ties with no bar placed and a look at a corner.
post #935 of 1019 Old 03-12-2014, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Can anyone comment on the difference in picture quality between an Elite acoustically transparent screen and just a normal cinewhite Elite screen?  I am worried about the "moire" effect being an issue as well as any light issues with my Sony VPL-HW50ES due to the perforated screen and 1.0 gain, but I would love to get an acoustically transparent screen so I can bury the center, front left, and front right speakers in the wall behind the screen.

Interested in getting a 138" diagonal, 2.35:1 format screen and can't decide between the Jamestown (no acoustically transparent screens available) or the Elite Sableframe with AcousticPro1080p material.  If the material being acoustically transparent effects the image too negatively then it is not worth it and I'd probably opt to go with the Jamestown due to all the positive things I've read about them on here.

Any information would be greatly appreciated to get this man cave rolling!

post #936 of 1019 Old 03-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebase131 View Post

Can anyone comment on the difference in picture quality between an Elite acoustically transparent screen and just a normal cinewhite Elite screen?  I am worried about the "moire" effect being an issue as well as any light issues with my Sony VPL-HW50ES due to the perforated screen and 1.0 gain, but I would love to get an acoustically transparent screen so I can bury the center, front left, and front right speakers in the wall behind the screen.

Interested in getting a 138" diagonal, 2.35:1 format screen and can't decide between the Jamestown (no acoustically transparent screens available) or the Elite Sableframe with AcousticPro1080p material.  If the material being acoustically transparent effects the image too negatively then it is not worth it and I'd probably opt to go with the Jamestown due to all the positive things I've read about them on here.

Any information would be greatly appreciated to get this man cave rolling!

They have AT screens

http://www.jamestownhometheaterscreen.com/seymour_screenDiagonal.html
Ebase131 likes this.

post #937 of 1019 Old 03-17-2014, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ordered a 100" screen from Jamestown. What have been the delivery wait times as of late?

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #938 of 1019 Old 03-19-2014, 02:08 PM

Just read through every single post in this thread; truly a rollercoaster ride of excitement, then delays leading to anger/frustration, followed by finally receiving the screen and the resulting joy of it being a great value screen.  After all this, I decided to bite the bullet as overall the final conclusion seemed to be that it's a solid picture quality at a great price and finally placed an order for a 148" 2.4:1 white matte screen with 1.2 gain.

The man cave is still under construction, but I have the Sony VPL-HW50ES already in hand and was able to get an idea for how big of a screen I could fit (ceiling only 7 feet high, and need room at bottom for 6 gaming consoles, AV receiver, and center channel speaker).  I want to use part of the room for other things and keep it open for people coming over to move around freely during parties/sport events, so space is pretty limited.  The Sony looks fantastic simply shining on a beat up tan wall, so I can only imagine how great it will look on an actual white surface/screen.  I had the throw distance at about 16' and actually watched a movie with the fiance at about 10 feet away from the 140" screen and we both loved it, not at all too close which was a relief.  I've also tried gaming from that distance and it was impossible to go back to the TV after.

As the posts before have done, I will keep everyone informed of the Jamestown process (so far he has been very quick with email responses, about 17 between us in the past week to nail down the final dimensions and material etc.).  I suppose I won't hold my breath, but I ordered yesterday (3/18) and was told to expect a 14 to 17 business-day turnaround.  Anyway, not super worried about the long wait; still need time to run electrical through the ceiling as well as actually mount the projector, build the entertainment center, painting the walls/ceiling a dark grey, and possibly upgrade the speaker setup (right now just some JBL 5.1 package, nothing special but has been doing fine for me the past 5 years or so). Ton of information that no one probably cares about, but this is my first house and first man cave so I'm excited and figured this was the place to share!

Daniel Chaves likes this.
post #939 of 1019 Old 03-23-2014, 04:20 PM

So I think my Jamestown screen is starting to bow, it seems to be no longer flush in the middle with the fabric panels that are above and below it, has anyone else seen this?

post #940 of 1019 Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 AM

So delivery is over 2 weeks behind on white screen orders. Guess that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

post #941 of 1019 Old 04-02-2014, 09:07 AM

Liked: 11

I think all that order need to expect a 2 month delivery no matter what delivery you get quoted. That is the tradeoff for getting an excellent screen at bargain basement prices. I've had mine up for 2 months now and nothing but praises for the screen.

If you need something sooner, you'll need to bite the bullet and pay the extra cost.

post #942 of 1019 Old 04-02-2014, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah its not like these are mass produced products, he makes them as the orders come in and also your truly supporting a home grown business so I dont mind waiting. smile.gif
megdagooch likes this.

post #943 of 1019 Old 04-02-2014, 12:32 PM

I ordered on March 18th, was told by James to expect a 14 to 17 business day lead time.  On May 28th (after I emailed him 3 times throughout a 4-day span) he responded and said to expect it to be finished the week of April 6th as they were running a bit behind due to some family health issues.

All in all, sounds about what I was quoted, so unless something changes I can deal with that and be content!  I'll continue to keep everyone updated.

post #944 of 1019 Old 04-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Earlier today I e-mailed James to ask a couple questions about lead time and scheduling delivery. He called me within a half hour to discuss it. Not a bad response. I told him I'm building a house and anticipating closing in May, but I don't have a firm date yet, and I wanted to know if he could hold off delivery for me in the event that he finishes before my house is done or should I wait to order. He said 18-19 business days for AT screens right now, and that he had no problem holding it for me until I'm ready for delivery.

So if all goes well he should have it built by the first week of May, and hopefully my house will be done that week or the next. I've ordered a 120" 16x9 AT screen. Also, after placing the order I asked if he has top and bottom masking. I'll update y'all when I hear back on that.

I had considered going with Monoprice, but they don't have AT screens, and they charge over $100 more than Jamestown for shipping. That seemed a little steep to me.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #945 of 1019 Old 04-07-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post

I think all that order need to expect a 2 month delivery no matter what delivery you get quoted.

So put that info on the site next to the CLICK HERE TO ORDER button, not the 12-15 business days. But bait and switch is a much better business tactic so I can see why things are the way they are rolleyes.gif To make matters worse, not even a peep of information came from jamestown about the delays. My brother is at 36 days since order without even getting an email, or phone call...that's how someone runs a business, the customer has to chase you down and constantly badger to get any info ? Very discouraging, and leaves one with little confidence.

More insult to injury is that the jamestown site has a claim of 100% ebay feedback, it's actually 99.8%. On top of that, jamestown doesn't even have anything listed on ebay...which was probably been done in order to not hurt the accounts ebay feedback even more since orders can not be fulfilled in a timely manner. Wish I could have ordered the screen via ebay so at least I could have a safety net, and there could be repercussions for jamestown not fulfilling orders in the time frame they have listed. Right now at am at the mercy of jamestown...I only have 45 days to file a claim with paypal, after that I'm on my own in dealing with jamestown, and the claims process isn't much fun to go through it's not just an easy "here's you money back, have a good day" type of arrangement.

In conclusion, BUYERS BEWARE!!! Unfortunately I didn't find this thread till after the fact, and I roped two other people into purchasing screens there so now I have to deal with that as well. The first post in this thread needs to be updated with info about how long it takes to get a screen from jamestown.

I'm all for supporting the little guy, but there comes a point where I get nervous that I may end up with the short end of the stick.

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

post #946 of 1019 Old 04-07-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebase131 View Post

I ordered on March 18th, was told by James to expect a 14 to 17 business day lead time.  On May 28th (after I emailed him 3 times throughout a 4-day span) he responded and said to expect it to be finished the week of April 6th as they were running a bit behind due to some family health issues.

All in all, sounds about what I was quoted, so unless something changes I can deal with that and be content!  I'll continue to keep everyone updated.

I was told there was a delay with the aluminum supplier the same week you spoke with him, and the week before that my screen was delayed due to him catching up on grey screen orders since the material was delayed which meant the other orders were pushed back. I really don't know what to believe anymore, but I am beginning to lose my patience and I'm sick of playing these kind of games over a projector screen.

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

post #947 of 1019 Old 04-07-2014, 10:02 AM

Liked: 32
I've spent at least a year watching this thread. And I still plan to order a top quality product at an amazing price. And I will order it with plenty of time for it to get here, however long it takes. It seems that if people have the money to spend on getting a screen at a faster supplier they should have done that from the beginning.
I understand the frustration but if you are following this thread it shouldn't come as a surprise to you.
post #948 of 1019 Old 04-07-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megdagooch View Post

I've spent at least a year watching this thread. And I still plan to order a top quality product at an amazing price. And I will order it with plenty of time for it to get here, however long it takes. It seems that if people have the money to spend on getting a screen at a faster supplier they should have done that from the beginning.
I understand the frustration but if you are following this thread it shouldn't come as a surprise to you.

I don't think you really understand the frustration. Without finding this thread before placing an order, which quite frankly needs a title change, the customer is in for a rude awakening. The site clearly states 12-15 business days, there is no links to this thread, or any mention of the myriad of delays you'll get upon calling jamestown yourself after 15 days have gone by without you receiving a single update. I'm not questioning the screen quality, nor the price, I simply wish there was clarity with what's going on over at jamestown before I placed my order(s).

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

post #949 of 1019 Old 04-07-2014, 10:14 AM

Yes, it's quite evident the leadtime is more like 2 months if you have followed the thread. Not sure why he doesn't quote LT 2 months, but if you take it into account all is well.

It's a quality product at and exceptional price. I can see a problem if you just ordered from the website and didn't followed this thread and expected the quoted LT. If you follow this thread you can't expect the quoted LT and need to take this into account.

post #950 of 1019 Old 04-07-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post

Yes, it's quite evident the leadtime is more like 2 months if you have followed the thread. Not sure why he doesn't quote LT 2 months, but if you take it into account all is well.

It's a quality product at and exceptional price. I can see a problem if you just ordered from the website and didn't followed this thread and expected the quoted LT. If you follow this thread you can't expect the quoted LT and need to take this into account.

Missing the point, not everyone follows this thread. I read some reviews about the screen, but somehow missed this thread. I don't think the customer should be responsible for discovering misinformation via forums about a screens build time. His site says 15 business days, meanwhile it's closer to 40. Put 38-40 business days on the site next to the "BUY IT NOW" icon, and be fair with your customers up front. Here's the thing, if it was listed 38-40 days on the site when I planned on ordering I would have bought another screen, and I think that's the real issue here as to why that time frame hasn't been updated.

But what's done is done, and now I just have to wait it out. I hope others see this thread before ordering and get a better understanding as to what they can expect than I did.

Regards,
Rob

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

post #951 of 1019 Old 04-07-2014, 10:52 AM

Yea I don't know how you missed this thread either!!! Lol! I thought everyone here researched like crazy everything they did.
post #952 of 1019 Old 04-07-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megdagooch View Post

Yea I don't know how you missed this thread either!!! Lol! I thought everyone here researched like crazy everything they did.
Not everybody. There are many questions asked all of the time that could be easily answered if some people were not lazy or put in the effort to research. I have gotten a lot of PM's asking questions that I am just like "really"? Hasnt been any of those lately though thank God!

- Leon Phelps
post #953 of 1019 Old 04-07-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post

Missing the point, not everyone follows this thread. I read some reviews about the screen, but somehow missed this thread. I don't think the customer should be responsible for discovering misinformation via forums about a screens build time. His site says 15 business days, meanwhile it's closer to 40. Put 38-40 business days on the site next to the "BUY IT NOW" icon, and be fair with your customers up front. Here's the thing, if it was listed 38-40 days on the site when I planned on ordering I would have bought another screen, and I think that's the real issue here as to why that time frame hasn't been updated.

But what's done is done, and now I just have to wait it out. I hope others see this thread before ordering and get a better understanding as to what they can expect than I did.

Regards,
Rob

I agree with you that it is a messed up way of doing it, but like you said....it is what it is.

- Leon Phelps
post #954 of 1019 Old 04-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

you want speed and same day feedback then go spend 3 times what you spent on that screen with a company like Elite or similar then with a full staff and mass productions facility verses a single guy that works out of his garage supporting his family....

post #955 of 1019 Old 04-07-2014, 01:27 PM

Nevermind same day feedback, feedback at all would be nice. I'm in the same boat as Robert. I ordered over 20 business days ago. The only acknowledgement that I even ordered something was PayPal giving me a payment receipt.

Don't advertise a delivery estimate time if you can never deliver on time. Thats just bad business. He should be basing his estimate on either average or typical worst case (since he seems to have so many supplier and family medical issues) and then deliver early as often as possible. That's the way to make customers happy. Not the bait and switch method he has going on right now, quoting one thing and delivering significantly later with minimal or no communication to let the customer know of any possible delays.
robertw11 likes this.
post #956 of 1019 Old 04-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Well last I heard was he was dealing with a serious issue in the family, maybe a lot of his time has been pulled to family matters and has not had a moment to respond to everyones emails.

post #957 of 1019 Old 04-07-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

Well last I heard was he was dealing with a serious issue in the family, maybe a lot of his time has been pulled to family matters and has not had a moment to respond to everyones emails.

Smoke and mirrors. He asked me to send him an email with my order info, so I sent him the email as soon as I got off the phone. I called back a week later to see what the status of my order was since he never responded to my email. I was told he never received my email. So a brief run down of what I've been pitched so far in my dealings with jamestown...grey screens were behind due to supplier issues so he is catching up on those in turn white screens are delayed now, aluminum supplier is delayed, family issues, and emails not getting through. This guy either has the worst luck, or well, yeah.

Reading this thread is horrific, 11 weeks to get a screen shipped out!!!eek.gif There's a reason why he isn't selling screens on ebay anymore, and it's too bad I didn't catch that sooner. At least I can take comfort knowing that I'm not the only person who has been duped.

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

post #958 of 1019 Old 04-07-2014, 06:45 PM

I don't think he is "duping" you. It sounds like a small start up business that has a product that became high demand and he is still in his garage.
I order 90% of my total non food purchases on line.....and even a bunch of food purchases. Long ship time and no communication isn't unusual at all. Not ideal, but I save enough money to be able to afford to purchase/build a home theater on my tiny income. So I sit back and am grateful that at least I'm able to do that.
I think I'm ordering my screen tomorrow. I wouldn't want to miss my opportunity.
post #959 of 1019 Old 04-08-2014, 06:04 AM

How have I not been duped? According to this thread lead time has been over 9 weeks since March 2013, yet on the Jamestown site it clearly states 15 business days. Why isn't the site just say 2 months? To dupe people. I also make of most of my purchases online and I always get an order confirmation email, updates if my order has been delayed, and I'm always sent an email with a tracking number when my item has been shipped. Keep defending Jamestown, I'm just calling it how I see it.

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

post #960 of 1019 Old 04-08-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you called James?

- Leon Phelps
Reply Screens

Tags
Elite , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Projectors , Elite Screens Maxwhite Ez Cinema Series Floor Stand Telescoping Pull Up Screen 60 Diagonal

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page