Jamestown or Elite Please Advise - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #991 of 1012 Old 04-28-2014, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So I read through and maybe misses it in all the why Jamestown is late posts, is there a major difference in the 2 screen qualities/materials?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1012 Old 05-01-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13

It arrived today!  I prodded James the past week or two and he assured me it would be shipped Monday and it was, and it arrived today via UPS.  In summary, I placed the order 3/18, was quoted a 14 to 17 business day lead time before shipping, and it arrived today, 5/1.  Total of 32 business days from order to receiving, about 28 days between the order and till it was shipped, so as others have said just plan on waiting a good month and half.  I ordered far in advance of when I was expecting to actually need it (still working heavily with dry wall/wood in the area that the screen will be going so I don't want to put it up yet and get it all messy with dust etc).

Special shipping note: the UPS guy just left it on my porch (luckily I was home), but for those working normal work hours it may not be ideal to have a 6 foot long giant box sitting on your porch for 5 hours before you get home.  I would hope no one would steal it, it is pretty heavy, but I managed to move it inside by myself (Mine is 148" screen) so just a word of caution.

Haven't opened the box up yet, but it's pretty impressive that everything fits in it.  While it is long, it is rather slender so I am hoping everything is there.  Will put together in the next few weeks and post results and impressions.  Currently using a beat up light tan wall as a screen, and the Sony VPL-HW50ES looks fantastic as it is, so I am hoping this puts it over the top!

Daniel Chaves likes this.
post #993 of 1012 Old 05-02-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Has anyone got the Jamestown installation instructions scanned that they could scan and share here? I'm trying to assemble a used screen and having some trouble. If I can't get it soon I'm going to forgo the tension fit and install grommets and redo the system. The previous owner cut the tabs off short and I can't hardly pull it tight. I have to use needle nose pliers on some tabs. When I think I've got it tight I stand it up and it's all saggy. I know there is an order - I need some guidance.

thanks.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #994 of 1012 Old 05-03-2014, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The trick is to tension it standing up, lean it up against a wall. Don't attempt to tighten it with it flat on the floor. I found I had to retention after it was hanging for about a week and again about a year later. of course I never cut the tabs off expecting to retention again, I just taped them back out of the way.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #995 of 1012 Old 05-04-2014, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Has anyone got the Jamestown installation instructions scanned that they could scan and share here? I'm trying to assemble a used screen and having some trouble. If I can't get it soon I'm going to forgo the tension fit and install grommets and redo the system. The previous owner cut the tabs off short and I can't hardly pull it tight. I have to use needle nose pliers on some tabs. When I think I've got it tight I stand it up and it's all saggy. I know there is an order - I need some guidance.

thanks.

I've got a 130" assembled not in use, your welcome to come take a look at it. I also have the assembly instructions you can take a look at, or I can make you a copy.
post #996 of 1012 Old 05-05-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Boots, thanks for the note. I got mine together this weekend, but it was a struggle! I shouldn't have to do it again - which is the saving grace.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #997 of 1012 Old 05-06-2014, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Boots, thanks for the note. I got mine together this weekend, but it was a struggle! I shouldn't have to do it again - which is the saving grace.

do you like your screen Archaea?
post #998 of 1012 Old 05-07-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

femi,

yeah I got it figured out finally. It looks nice...The Seymour XD, acoustic transparent fabric is nice. I'd exercise caution when buying used. If the previous owner says he cut off the tabs - then think twice. It was difficult to put it back together for my wife and I because the tabs were too short, but Jamestown did a great job of wrapping the mdf with velvet, and the assembled product looks nice. If you can do DIY at all - I might recommend that route. My previous 106" screen was DIY and it wasn't hard to do. I just did staples.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #999 of 1012 Old 05-27-2014, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Ok I'm putting together my screen but don't know what side of the material to use there are no markings on it. One side is a bit yellow and ruff and the other side is white and smoother. Any ideas?
post #1000 of 1012 Old 05-27-2014, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic1! View Post

Ok I'm putting together my screen but don't know what side of the material to use there are no markings on it. One side is a bit yellow and ruff and the other side is white and smoother. Any ideas?

What material did you order? That would help us help you. If it is the Seymour material, you can use either side but that material does not have a yellowish side to it.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #1001 of 1012 Old 05-27-2014, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

What material did you order? That would help us help you. If it is the Seymour material, you can use either side but that material does not have a yellowish side to it.

It's Seymour AT material. I might be just seeing things with the yellow.
post #1002 of 1012 Old 05-27-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic1! View Post

It's Seymour AT material. I might be just seeing things with the yellow.

I hope so. Both sides should be the same white.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #1003 of 1012 Old 07-03-2014, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hey guys I have a quick question. I am getting ready to build my first theater. I have been in contact with Jamestown and received conflicting information from him and a few other sites. He informed me his screen with the Center Stage XD do not include the optional black backing. He did state that it could be added for an additional fee, in the $200-$350 range. I am wondering if the optional black backing is needed. I will be building a false wall about 32" deep, with Klipsch Speakers behind it. I love the Idea of the Center Stage XD fabric, but am not sure if I need the black backing or, if I should opt to get it without. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
post #1004 of 1012 Old 07-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Al, it depends on what all you have behind the screen. Anything reflective at all? I put my screen on a wall painted a very dark, flat brown, so I don't have to worry about reflections. I can tell you though that a lot of light leaks through that XD screen. If I put my head up against the wall and look behind the screen it's pretty bright, but none of it leaks out beyond the screen so it doesn't matter to me.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #1005 of 1012 Old 07-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

I realized I never followed up here with my experience with Jamestown, so here goes. I placed my order with him on April 3rd, and told him up front that I didn't need it for about 8 weeks. I believe his lead time back then was about 4 weeks. I waited until May 9th, at which point I decided to check on the status and see about getting it earlier if possible, basically after reading more stories here about delays I decided I didn't want to wait for him to deliver right after I closed on my new house which was scheduled for the end of May. On the 13th I e-mailed again because he hadn't replied, and on the 14th he responded saying it would be 4-5 business days. On the 23rd (7 business days later) I sent another e-mail and he responded that it would be done that day and ship out the beginning of the next week. On the 27th I checked on the status, and the following day I asked again for a tracking number, which he promptly provided although I don't think he gave it to UPS until the 29th. It arrived on June 2nd.

So yeah, it was a bit of an effort to get it. But it came, and as it was I was too busy to get the theater up and running for a few weeks anyways. So it worked out fine for me and I wasn't too bothered since I kind of knew what to expect. My advice to others is to order knowing that it will be later than he claims. And to start contacting him once your initial estimated date approaches. The reason I ordered so far in advance was to give him plenty of time to build it, assuming he had a backlog, and he said he would hold it for me until my new house was ready, but I don't think he actually did any work until I contacted him in May.

As for the resulting screen, well I'm very pleased. I ordered a 120" AT screen and it came just as I expected. The only issue I had was the way the center supports fit, I thought they seemed off, as they were not exactly in line with the rest of the frame. Turns out that was intentional so they weren't making contact with the screen material and possible showing lines on the screen. I sent him an e-mail late one night asking about that and he responded in minutes. So his support response time is excellent.

Like others I wasn't entirely comfortable with just one french cleat for hanging it. It might have been fine, but I wanted two supports. So I bought a pair of matching cleats from Home Depot and attached near the center supports. I removed one of the screws attaching the aluminum frame to the wood and used that to anchor the cleat, then used two self tapping sheet metal screws for the other holes in the cleats.

I had no trouble stretching the screen out using the nylon zip ties and other parts he provided. It was very easy to do on my own and I never ran into any problems with wrinkles or other signs of unequal tension in the screen. I assembled the entire screen on my own and only needed help hanging it on the wall. It took a few hours but I could have done it quicker, I was just overly cautious, also my room was a bit tight to work in as I maneuvered around the screen tensioning it.

It came out pretty square, I haven't bothered taking measurements, as I can tell with a level and a square it's pretty close, certainly no visible error. With my Epson 5030 I have to zoom in a bit so that the image goes over each side a hair in order to fill the screen top to bottom, but a few others have this problem two with the Epson. So either the screen or the projector isn't perfect, but it's not really a problem. While it would be nice if there was a method to cover the center seam for the top and bottom parts of the frame I did find those handy for aligning the projector.

So would I recommend him? Sure, why not. He seems like a decent fellow, and I like supporting small business when I can, and it's a good product for a good price. But I only recommend him with the caveat that you have to have a flexible schedule. If you need a screen by a fixed date that is 3-4 weeks or less out just don't bother with Jamestown, save yourself the stress and go elsewhere. If you are working on a new theater and have two months or more before completion, or if you are looking to replace an existing screen and have no set schedule, go for it. The box it arrived in is remarkably small. My 120" screen was in a box less than 6' long, and only maybe 6" x 6" or a little bigger. It was awkward to move on my own, but not bad. So if it actually arrives early than you anticipated you won't have much trouble finding someplace to store it until you are ready to put it together.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #1006 of 1012 Old 07-03-2014, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post
Al, it depends on what all you have behind the screen. Anything reflective at all? I put my screen on a wall painted a very dark, flat brown, so I don't have to worry about reflections. I can tell you though that a lot of light leaks through that XD screen. If I put my head up against the wall and look behind the screen it's pretty bright, but none of it leaks out beyond the screen so it doesn't matter to me.
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. Everything behind my screen will be painted black. The speakers themselves are Klipsch, with a slight reflective surface (unless I keep the grills on). Although, I am only planning on keeping the Center behind the screen. The two towers will be just outside the screen behind a speaker mesh surrounded by stained wood.

Thanks for your review of Jamestown. It is good to know that the material is of high quality. It's too bad, that he struggles with time management. Luckily, I will not need to screen for a while. I am actually looking at the screen you bought (AT 120). So it is good to hear that you are happy with it. It looks like you can't beat the quality for the price...assuming you have the patience to wait.
post #1007 of 1012 Old 07-13-2014, 08:23 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

So if all goes well he should have it built by the first week of May, and hopefully my house will be done that week or the next. I've ordered a 120" 16x9 AT screen. Also, after placing the order I asked if he has top and bottom masking. I'll update y'all when I hear back on that.
So what was the final word of the masking panels for a 16:9 screen?
post #1008 of 1012 Old 07-13-2014, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Jamestown never replied about that. The person who did get some got side panels for a 2.35:1 screen. Shipping top and bottom panels would probably be quite expensive due to their length.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

post #1009 of 1012 Old 07-14-2014, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Jamestown never replied about that. The person who did get some got side panels for a 2.35:1 screen. Shipping top and bottom panels would probably be quite expensive due to their length.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I know this answer since I asked him, he does not make length-wise masking panels, its difficult and bows, so he only makes top to bottom masking panels.

Last edited by Daniel Chaves; 07-19-2014 at 07:51 PM.
post #1010 of 1012 Old 07-19-2014, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Does anyone have a weight for the Jamestown screens? 120-130"
post #1011 of 1012 Old 07-19-2014, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

According to the UPS tracking info my 120" AT screen weighed 43lbs. There wasn't much packing, so I'd guess that was pretty close as it wasn't too hard for me to move on my own, but it had some heft to it, and of course the odd size made it awkward.
Boomassiv likes this.

post #1012 of 1012 Old 08-22-2014, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by megdagooch View Post
So I read through and maybe misses it in all the why Jamestown is late posts, is there a major difference in the 2 screen qualities/materials?
Did you ever get your screen?
Reply Screens

Tags
Elite , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Projectors , Elite Screens Maxwhite Ez Cinema Series Floor Stand Telescoping Pull Up Screen 60 Diagonal

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page