Jamestown or Elite Please Advise - Page 35 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
post #1021 of 1049 Old 11-10-2014, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So my Jamestown screen has be up for a few months now, and the screen has bowed even more at the top. Also the screen isn't perfectly square, it's close, but I felt that was worth mentioning. In conclusion, learn from my mistakes and avoid Jamestown at all costs.

Kuro'd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1049 Old 11-11-2014, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I ended up doing a painted on screen, almost perfect but I did notice when your really close to it a few light spots, so I am going to fine sand the whole screen area again and do another two coats of my custom mix N9 grey but even doing that and then buying nice 4inch black velvet for the board will still be around $250 less than going with one of these screens.

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee Media Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321 + Nexus Player
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL, FR), CS2 Series II (Center), Monitor40 Series II (RL, RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L,R) + Dual JL Audio 12" Subs + ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #1023 of 1049 Old 12-28-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a new projector and decided to pop over here to see if anyone was still talking about these screens.

I purchased a matte white 110" fixed frame screen from Jamestown in 2008 when they were sold as "Shoppingdeals" screens that is performing flawlessly to this day. No ripples, no sagging, no bowing of the frame. It has been 100% rock solid since the day it was installed.

I think I waited about 2 weeks back in 2008. The popularity of projectors has grown by leaps and bounds the past 6 years, and if they are trying to run a lean business that allows them to pass on discounted prices to the consumer, I can understand the increased lead times. I can tell you that the owner is a pleasure to speak with. I inquired with him last year about a screen for my brother (didn't go the PJ route in the end) and he asked if I was still enjoying my original screen I had purchased 5 years before.

I can tell you that the wait is worth it. I've compared the quality of my Jamestown screen to comparable Da-Lite and Elite screens at buddies' houses and one friend's sports bar and the quality is every bit as good. The velvet frame looks classy. My wife would not have let it remain in our living room otherwise I'm happy to see that they have added a high contrast gray to their lineup. I might have to look into that one.

You aren't buying a Stewart or Carada level screen here. But, that is not what you are paying for either. Jamestown provides significant value for entry level projector screens and I would not hesitate recommending them. I am a proponent of small businesses, and this one gets my support.
post #1024 of 1049 Old 12-28-2014, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For the money, there really is nothing even close to this quality. For the materials and labor, it's a steal. My 145" is over a year old now and still wows people (and myself). A lot of people think it's just a wall at first due to how massive and flat and nice it looks. Would highly recommend if you can withstand the inconvenience of some waiting and delays
post #1025 of 1049 Old 01-13-2015, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 42
In July, I spoke with Keith on here about Jamestown. Going into this, I knew there was a time issue on Jamestown Screen, but also knew the price for a 120" AT screen with XD material was a fantastic price. With this in mind, I ordered the screen December 28th directly from his web-site.

It was a little weird, since I didn't receive any communication about the order being processed, except for the paypal receipt. Since then, I have e-mailed him twice and called once. I called him on the phone about the order and he said, if I received a paypal invoice, then I did in fact order the screen. I wasn't completely sold on it, since I did not receive any communication from him, so he told me to e-mail him and he would respond later that night. I did (around the 3rd of January). I still haven't heard back from him, so I e-mailed him again on Sunday and haven't received any form of communication from him. The price is hard to beat, but the communication and customer service is forgetful.

I honestly am frustrated with the fact, that there is no communication. I do not mind the screen taking longer than he expects, as long as he is communicating that to me. I should not have to be the one asking him for it. I am wondering if this is normal procedure for Jamestown. Also, did you guys have better luck contacting him via the phone or e-mail.

Last edited by Al Toid; 01-13-2015 at 09:28 PM.
post #1026 of 1049 Old 01-18-2015, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Toid View Post
In July, I spoke with Keith on here about Jamestown. Going into this, I knew there was a time issue on Jamestown Screen, but also knew the price for a 120" AT screen with XD material was a fantastic price. With this in mind, I ordered the screen December 28th directly from his web-site.

It was a little weird, since I didn't receive any communication about the order being processed, except for the paypal receipt. Since then, I have e-mailed him twice and called once. I called him on the phone about the order and he said, if I received a paypal invoice, then I did in fact order the screen. I wasn't completely sold on it, since I did not receive any communication from him, so he told me to e-mail him and he would respond later that night. I did (around the 3rd of January). I still haven't heard back from him, so I e-mailed him again on Sunday and haven't received any form of communication from him. The price is hard to beat, but the communication and customer service is forgetful.

I honestly am frustrated with the fact, that there is no communication. I do not mind the screen taking longer than he expects, as long as he is communicating that to me. I should not have to be the one asking him for it. I am wondering if this is normal procedure for Jamestown. Also, did you guys have better luck contacting him via the phone or e-mail.
Bad business. It's time to give bad business what it deserves. I called James a few weeks asking him about electric motorizing screen features. No return call after I left a message. I made a second call. He sounded rude and not interested in answering the question. For business like this, I'd say giving your money to somebody else. Don't bother dealing with them. You have a way to go through Paypal and get your money back if things go south.
woodhead2 likes this.
post #1027 of 1049 Old 01-25-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosymoon View Post
Bad business. It's time to give bad business what it deserves. I called James a few weeks asking him about electric motorizing screen features. No return call after I left a message. I made a second call. He sounded rude and not interested in answering the question. For business like this, I'd say giving your money to somebody else. Don't bother dealing with them. You have a way to go through Paypal and get your money back if things go south.
Thanks. I still have not heard back from him. Supposedly, it was to be shipped out sometime this past week. I'll have to try to call him this week. Honestly, all he has to do is have a few automated e-mails setup to let customers know that the product is delayed, if he can't make the original deadline, as well as one that thanks you for the order an an estimated time of completion. It's the not knowing what is going on, that kills his customer service for me. Even if this product is spectacular (which it supposedly is), I would never order from him again. I t really is too bad, I love helping out small businesses.
post #1028 of 1049 Old 02-01-2015, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Urgent! Need help assembly. Corner tensioner on Jamestown screen not sure how it attaches. Trying to get it up for super bowl. Not sure where to attach zip tie to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1422804005314.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	515985  
post #1029 of 1049 Old 02-03-2015, 08:19 PM

People are still buying screen from this guy? Has no one read any of my posts?

Kuro'd
post #1030 of 1049 Old 02-04-2015, 07:40 AM

Dude...if you are doing a theater you WILL be here researching. (And if you aren't you aren't doing it right! Lol) I was here...I read, I saw, I learned.
My screen is MAGNIFICENT!!!!
I got exactly 100% what I expected and knew I would get by knowing the product I was purchasing. I had a 7 month wait. I knew that and ordered months ahead! That's the price you pay (save) when ordering this quality at such a wonderful price.
If you have the money to burn GO FOR IT! Go someplace else.
I w viewed other screens at other theaters and I HONESTLY can not say I call be any happier with my product. Some people aren't great business men. That does not mean they don't sell an amazing product.

Consider me in love
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1423064379276.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	525681   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1423064402672.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	525697  

Last edited by megdagooch; 02-04-2015 at 12:11 PM.
post #1031 of 1049 Old 02-04-2015, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Seven to nine months for a screen is not reasonable.
post #1032 of 1049 Old 02-04-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post
Seven to nine months for a screen is not reasonable.
I've been building my theater for two years now. I did not need a screen any sooner so there was nothing un reasonable about it at all to me.
I'm currently ordering a star ceiling. I have to schedule that several months out also.
Sometimes people are more than willing to wait for quality at a great price.
post #1033 of 1049 Old 02-04-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megdagooch View Post
I've been building my theater for two years now. I did not need a screen any sooner so there was nothing un reasonable about it at all to me.
I'm currently ordering a star ceiling. I have to schedule that several months out also.
Sometimes people are more than willing to wait for quality at a great price.

I'd love to see a list of competitors in his price and quality range. I want THIS quality at THIS price. That is all there is to it. I can absolutely get much less quality for the price but that isn't what I want.
Do you work for a company that Jamestown is taking business from and that is why you want to convince people so badly? ;D
post #1034 of 1049 Old 02-04-2015, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ouch, I just placed an order for one of these screens in HC grey [130"] about 2 weeks ago. I expected a delayed wait time from reading about it being a small operation but 7 months? I am not sure i have that kind of stamina for waiting in me. I am going to shoot an email to them and ask if they have an estimate and if it really is in the half a year range i guess ill just get a silver ticket when they come back in stock.
post #1035 of 1049 Old 02-04-2015, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I'm not in the business and with a 7 to 9 month delivery time, I don't think Jamestown is much of a threat to its competitors.

You should check your screen tension. It has a whole lot of puckers for a fixed frame.
post #1036 of 1049 Old 02-04-2015, 12:05 PM

We JUST put it up when I took the pic. it was folded when shipped and looks a lot better now.
Also the 7 month time was us telling him we don't need it anytime soon but wanted to get it paid for before the prices went up. It's a good thing because about a month before we got it we changed our minds.
I don't think 7 months is average and yes you will have to email or call him a few times. Like I said I along with many others consider it well worth it
post #1037 of 1049 Old 02-04-2015, 12:06 PM

Wait...who competes with Jamestown at this quality and price???
post #1038 of 1049 Old 02-04-2015, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 77
It took me less than 2 months if I remember right. You have to keep in touch with the guy and make sure he doesn't lose track of you. Some people don't mind since they're supporting a small business. If you have a rigid schedule I can't recommend him.
post #1039 of 1049 Old 02-04-2015, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Visual Apex screens are an incredible value for the dollar. I have a 120 inch fixed frame, 4 inch velvet wrapped (not sprayed) aluminum frame, free shipping, delivered in five days from order for $399.

Only thing is VApex doesn't offer gray screens.
ben38 likes this.
post #1040 of 1049 Old 02-05-2015, 03:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Silver Ticket, Vapex, Elite.
fatherom and robertw11 like this.
post #1041 of 1049 Old 02-06-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Dude...if you are doing a theater you WILL be here researching. (And if you aren't you aren't doing it right! Lol) I was here...I read, I saw, I learned.
My screen is MAGNIFICENT!!!!
I got exactly 100% what I expected and knew I would get by knowing the product I was purchasing. I had a 7 month wait. I knew that and ordered months ahead! That's the price you pay (save) when ordering this quality at such a wonderful price.
If you have the money to burn GO FOR IT! Go someplace else.
I w viewed other screens at other theaters and I HONESTLY can not say I call be any happier with my product. Some people aren't great business men. That does not mean they don't sell an amazing product.

Consider me in love
Re-tension your screen or something, it looks horrible. My screen never looked that wavy or wrinkled. Yikes.

I waited half what you waited and I thought it was too long. For $20-30 more you the Elite screens are the same quality, this is a budget screen. Build quality is lacking, bows, not square, at least the screen material is decent, still not worth the hassle.

Kuro'd
post #1042 of 1049 Old 02-06-2015, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post
Re-tension your screen or something, it looks horrible. My screen never looked that wavy or wrinkled. Yikes.

I waited half what you waited and I thought it was too long. For $20-30 more you the Elite screens are the same quality, this is a budget screen. Build quality is lacking, bows, not square, at least the screen material is decent, still not worth the hassle.
It took him about 2 months or so for me which I fully expected. I kept on him and poked him a few times to make sure it would make that time frame and I honestly can't believe how great it is for the price. I will upload pictures of the setup later tonight when I get home. I haven't had to take down to re-stretch once, and people are baffled by the size and quality and are afraid to ask how much it cost until I tell them it was under $400 total.
post #1043 of 1049 Old 02-06-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post

I know people REALLY want to hate on this screen but like I said it looks fine now. The wrinkles from shipping are gone. I swear! Lol!
My guy who has built many things was very impressed with the frame quality. He especially likes that if anything went wrong, a piece went missing or broke or whatever he can go to the hardware store and replace it. Nothing is special order. It went together very square and solid. I'll let you know if it ever bows. We kinda stress tested it and it dosent seem like it will. Also ours is the newer version and we also have 2 mounting brackets. So maybe that issue was addressed.
post #1044 of 1049 Old 02-06-2015, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
Silver Ticket, Vapex, Elite.
Anyone have links to the above/any mfrs who produce a 16x9 130" woven AT screen for $550??? I love the Seymour Center Stage material, but I could be persuaded with the right review.

Our Space
PSN: brotj7
post #1045 of 1049 Old 02-06-2015, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrang View Post
Anyone have links to the above/any mfrs who produce a 16x9 130" woven AT screen for $550??? I love the Seymour Center Stage material, but I could be persuaded with the right review.
Silver Ticket doesn't make a 130, but here is a 120 for $370:
http://silverticketproducts.com/stor...ilter=1,8,9,15

And here is the 135 for $470:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4WRTPK#
post #1046 of 1049 Old 02-21-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterface7 View Post
Ouch, I just placed an order for one of these screens in HC grey [130"] about 2 weeks ago. I expected a delayed wait time from reading about it being a small operation but 7 months? I am not sure i have that kind of stamina for waiting in me. I am going to shoot an email to them and ask if they have an estimate and if it really is in the half a year range i guess ill just get a silver ticket when they come back in stock.
I ordered a 120" AT screen from him on December 28th. He is now 5 weeks overdue still giving excuses on why it hasn't shipped out. I understand a delay due to unforeseen circumstances, but 5 weeks of delays? My theater room is about to be finished and I have no screen. I am thinking if it is not shipped out by Tuesday, I am going to cancel the order. Truthfully, I probably wouldn't mind the delays as much if he kept in contact with me. But that is not how his business model works. He instead, believes it is the customers responsibility to find out what is going on if it is taking longer than usual. Just so you guys all know, I have been in contact with him since the end of January (where he was supposedly going to ship it out by the end of the week). A month later and still no screen.
post #1047 of 1049 Old 03-17-2015, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks to this tread I decided to go with a Seymour centerstage XD screen instead of chancing the Jamestown.

I hope this info here is correct because eventually it will start to hurt James business, if it already isn't.
post #1048 of 1049 Unread Today, 08:03 PM

My Experience so far

So I ordered a 130" grey screen on January 2nd 2015, didn't hear anything from them after about a month, so i emailed them. After a 2nd email i heard back from them apologizing for delays and they estimated another 2ish weeks to finish the screen. 3 weeks later i emailed again with no reply. A week or 2 after that I received an email stating my screen was finished and the email contained a tracking number. All said and done I do not consider just over 2 months that ridiculous for an essentially homemade screen that is nearly half the price of any competing products. I am in the process of putting it together but i expect that to take some time since i have very little time on weekdays due to work and i want to wait to do it when i can have a friend help. I am sure it will look good when it is first assembled but the real question is how it will hold up over longer periods of time. Hopefully i remember to check back in with you guys in a few months. Of coarse if it breaks ill be back here pretty quickly.

I can't really comment on any screen quality since i am a projection screen noob.
post #1049 of 1049 Unread Today, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterface7 View Post
So I ordered a 130" grey screen on January 2nd 2015, didn't hear anything from them after about a month, so i emailed them. After a 2nd email i heard back from them apologizing for delays and they estimated another 2ish weeks to finish the screen. 3 weeks later i emailed again with no reply. A week or 2 after that I received an email stating my screen was finished and the email contained a tracking number. All said and done I do not consider just over 2 months that ridiculous for an essentially homemade screen that is nearly half the price of any competing products. I am in the process of putting it together but i expect that to take some time since i have very little time on weekdays due to work and i want to wait to do it when i can have a friend help. I am sure it will look good when it is first assembled but the real question is how it will hold up over longer periods of time. Hopefully i remember to check back in with you guys in a few months. Of coarse if it breaks ill be back here pretty quickly.

I can't really comment on any screen quality since i am a projection screen noob.
Don't see a way to edit a post so i needed to say i just found they did reply to me a 2nd time about a month after the first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Elite , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Projectors , Elite Screens Maxwhite Ez Cinema Series Floor Stand Telescoping Pull Up Screen 60 Diagonal

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page