Jamestown or Elite Please Advise - Page 35 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1021 of 1026 Old 11-10-2014, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So my Jamestown screen has be up for a few months now, and the screen has bowed even more at the top. Also the screen isn't perfectly square, it's close, but I felt that was worth mentioning. In conclusion, learn from my mistakes and avoid Jamestown at all costs.

Kuro'd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1026 Old 11-11-2014, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I ended up doing a painted on screen, almost perfect but I did notice when your really close to it a few light spots, so I am going to fine sand the whole screen area again and do another two coats of my custom mix N9 grey but even doing that and then buying nice 4inch black velvet for the board will still be around $250 less than going with one of these screens.

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee Media Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321 + ChromeCast
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL, FR), CS2 Series II (Center), Monitor40 Series II (RL, RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L,R) + Dual JL Audio 12" Subs + ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #1023 of 1026 Old 12-28-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a new projector and decided to pop over here to see if anyone was still talking about these screens.

I purchased a matte white 110" fixed frame screen from Jamestown in 2008 when they were sold as "Shoppingdeals" screens that is performing flawlessly to this day. No ripples, no sagging, no bowing of the frame. It has been 100% rock solid since the day it was installed.

I think I waited about 2 weeks back in 2008. The popularity of projectors has grown by leaps and bounds the past 6 years, and if they are trying to run a lean business that allows them to pass on discounted prices to the consumer, I can understand the increased lead times. I can tell you that the owner is a pleasure to speak with. I inquired with him last year about a screen for my brother (didn't go the PJ route in the end) and he asked if I was still enjoying my original screen I had purchased 5 years before.

I can tell you that the wait is worth it. I've compared the quality of my Jamestown screen to comparable Da-Lite and Elite screens at buddies' houses and one friend's sports bar and the quality is every bit as good. The velvet frame looks classy. My wife would not have let it remain in our living room otherwise I'm happy to see that they have added a high contrast gray to their lineup. I might have to look into that one.

You aren't buying a Stewart or Carada level screen here. But, that is not what you are paying for either. Jamestown provides significant value for entry level projector screens and I would not hesitate recommending them. I am a proponent of small businesses, and this one gets my support.
post #1024 of 1026 Old 12-28-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For the money, there really is nothing even close to this quality. For the materials and labor, it's a steal. My 145" is over a year old now and still wows people (and myself). A lot of people think it's just a wall at first due to how massive and flat and nice it looks. Would highly recommend if you can withstand the inconvenience of some waiting and delays
post #1025 of 1026 Old 01-13-2015, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In July, I spoke with Keith on here about Jamestown. Going into this, I knew there was a time issue on Jamestown Screen, but also knew the price for a 120" AT screen with XD material was a fantastic price. With this in mind, I ordered the screen December 28th directly from his web-site.

It was a little weird, since I didn't receive any communication about the order being processed, except for the paypal receipt. Since then, I have e-mailed him twice and called once. I called him on the phone about the order and he said, if I received a paypal invoice, then I did in fact order the screen. I wasn't completely sold on it, since I did not receive any communication from him, so he told me to e-mail him and he would respond later that night. I did (around the 3rd of January). I still haven't heard back from him, so I e-mailed him again on Sunday and haven't received any form of communication from him. The price is hard to beat, but the communication and customer service is forgetful.

I honestly am frustrated with the fact, that there is no communication. I do not mind the screen taking longer than he expects, as long as he is communicating that to me. I should not have to be the one asking him for it. I am wondering if this is normal procedure for Jamestown. Also, did you guys have better luck contacting him via the phone or e-mail.

Last edited by Al Toid; 01-13-2015 at 10:28 PM.
post #1026 of 1026 Old 01-18-2015, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Toid View Post
In July, I spoke with Keith on here about Jamestown. Going into this, I knew there was a time issue on Jamestown Screen, but also knew the price for a 120" AT screen with XD material was a fantastic price. With this in mind, I ordered the screen December 28th directly from his web-site.

It was a little weird, since I didn't receive any communication about the order being processed, except for the paypal receipt. Since then, I have e-mailed him twice and called once. I called him on the phone about the order and he said, if I received a paypal invoice, then I did in fact order the screen. I wasn't completely sold on it, since I did not receive any communication from him, so he told me to e-mail him and he would respond later that night. I did (around the 3rd of January). I still haven't heard back from him, so I e-mailed him again on Sunday and haven't received any form of communication from him. The price is hard to beat, but the communication and customer service is forgetful.

I honestly am frustrated with the fact, that there is no communication. I do not mind the screen taking longer than he expects, as long as he is communicating that to me. I should not have to be the one asking him for it. I am wondering if this is normal procedure for Jamestown. Also, did you guys have better luck contacting him via the phone or e-mail.
Bad business. It's time to give bad business what it deserves. I called James a few weeks asking him about electric motorizing screen features. No return call after I left a message. I made a second call. He sounded rude and not interested in answering the question. For business like this, I'd say giving your money to somebody else. Don't bother dealing with them. You have a way to go through Paypal and get your money back if things go south.
Reply Screens

Tags
Elite , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Projectors , Elite Screens Maxwhite Ez Cinema Series Floor Stand Telescoping Pull Up Screen 60 Diagonal

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page