Jamestown or Elite Please Advise - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #181 of 1014 Old 02-25-2011, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey Judd, thank you- yes they are swan diva 6.2's, I'm loving them. My second vtf 15h will be here wednesday. that hole on the left side felt like it was missing something

For projector, depending how far your throw is+screen size--you'd want to look at the projector calculator and figure out if you need a screen with any gain. After that, the room's light control would come into play a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1014 Old 02-25-2011, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Jay!

Yea those Swan's look so sexy. I been wanting to upgrade from my Jamo E660's for awhile now. I have been saving for the ever so exspensive Klipsch RF-7ii's with matching center and surround system, but at over $5k it's taking me awhile. I have stumbled on a post a few weeks back about the Swan's over on Emotiva's website and thought perhaps I'd go with them. There nearly half the cost and I'm sure the speakers would work well with my XPA amp(s). Besides that the finish looks amazing. Hopefully I don't get pegged going off topic, but are your swans using a external amp? Are you using matching surrounds?

I will have to go over to Projectcentral and check the needs of a AE4ku and see if James' screen would work

Thanks
Judd

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

another Deployment? ...you don't say
post #183 of 1014 Old 02-25-2011, 07:13 AM

I just got my 8700UB a few days ago and I'm having issues deciding what screen to get. Here is my dilemma, I will probably be moving in 4 months and I'm not sure if its worth to get a fixed screen from James now or get a electric screen for the mean time. Are James screens easy to unassembled as they are to assemble?
post #184 of 1014 Old 02-25-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by la9ers View Post

Are James screens easy to unassembled and they are to assemble?

In theory, of course. Unscrew a few bolts and the whole thing falls apart.

But...I wouldn't do it. These are "wood screws" and the frame is relatively soft wood. You can easily strip the wood just by tightening a screw too much, imagine what it'll do if you screw and unscrew a few times. If you're familiar with wood working, then it's a non-issue, as the screws are easily replaceable with slightly thicker screws and that takes care of it.

This problem really isn't specific to James' screens, it'll happen with any wood frame based screen. Hell, try doing the same thing to Ikea furniture...take it apart more than once or twice, and the whole thing is rickety as hell.
post #185 of 1014 Old 02-25-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

In theory, of course. Unscrew a few bolts and the whole thing falls apart.

But...I wouldn't do it. These are "wood screws" and the frame is relatively soft wood. You can easily strip the wood just by tightening a screw too much, imagine what it'll do if you screw and unscrew a few times. If you're familiar with wood working, then it's a non-issue, as the screws are easily replaceable with slightly thicker screws and that takes care of it.

This problem really isn't specific to James' screens, it'll happen with any wood frame based screen. Hell, try doing the same thing to Ikea furniture...take it apart more than once or twice, and the whole thing is rickety as hell.

Sounds like i'll be getting an electric screen for now then craiglisted once I move and get a fixed screen.
post #186 of 1014 Old 02-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

I just ordered a 120" 16:9 White screen from James. Can't wait till it gets here! Will post pictures and thoughts

BTW he is a very nice to talk to and is prompt in returning phone calls

Judd

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

post #187 of 1014 Old 02-27-2011, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Fox View Post

I just ordered a 120" 16:9 White screen from James. Can't wait till it gets here! Will post pictures and thoughts

BTW he is a very nice to talk to and is prompt in returning phone calls

Judd

I think you'll be quite satisfied for the price. James is an excellent person to deal with prompt and professional. I just watched Inception last night in the theater and the pic was excellent son came down and watched the Bruins game and commented how much better the picture was with the new screen!!!

Congrats
Scott
post #188 of 1014 Old 02-28-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Does anyone know what screen material Jamestown uses for their screens? Is it a name brand material or a builder(?) grade screen material?
post #189 of 1014 Old 03-04-2011, 07:36 PM

I'm currently using a Wilsonart laminate DIY screen in Designer White. This has worked out excellent with my Panasonic PT-AE900U projector. However, I just upgraded to an Epson 8700UB and while the screen still has a great look I can see a very noticeable texture (almost sparkly) with the much brighter projector.

I'm very interested in the Jamestown screens and just contacted them for some samples. Can anyone comment on whether they can notice any texture to the screen material at all in bright scenes at approximately 12 feet away?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Josh
post #190 of 1014 Old 03-04-2011, 08:44 PM

Ok, finally some pictures. My screen is gray material 100".

My projector cost $649 and the JT screen was $225. Including the monoprice.com projector mount and HDMI cables my picture cost $900.

The screen is in my half finished basement.. so my room is less than ideal right now but I'm blown away with the results.

I assembled the screen by myself, no wrinkles first try! Started at 2:30PM done around 5:00PM. So instructions and assembly went easy as can be as far as I'm concerned! It did take some awkward pulling and use of my foot to help stretch the screen solo.

My projector Optoma HD180

Assembly

Up close of the frame and back of material

Some direct light, I leave these lights on alot of the time.. hardly affects the picture

No lights

The movie and camera probably aren't doing things justice. I think The first few shots took in too much light making things look washed out. I'm pretty happy I went with the gray, people said my white ceiling and light colored walls would bother me, but so far not the case at all.
post #191 of 1014 Old 03-05-2011, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

@ Jpowell5 I've got a 130 inch and can't see texture from 10 feet away imo the screen is great for the cost!

@ Droid6 I have no idea what type of screen material it i but Southpaw compared samples earlier in the thread and said it was the same as the elite I believe he gave a detailed comparison.

Geoff looks great nice pics got to love a 100 inch tv for under a grand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #192 of 1014 Old 03-05-2011, 11:26 AM

Fiancé had girls night last night. When they found out my Epson 8350 and 103" JT screen gave them a theater experience for under $1500 they were shocked, and oddly enough, even my fiancé gave her 100% approval!
One of the girls was pissed because she put a 50" Plasma up in her basement and spent well over what I spent and is less than satisfied after seeing our setup!
post #193 of 1014 Old 03-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just wanted to add a few install notes to new buyers.I have a 130 inch screen and it came with one mount for the center which I used.After a few weeks I decided I would rather have one at each end than one only in the middle.The center mount was allowing the ends to sag a little and I have a thing about level/square etc...I went to Lowes and bought two 18" mounts called hangman, similar to the one the screen came with.I mounted them about a foot from each end, amazing that 5 out of six screws lined up.

The screen now hangs very solid and no raised area in the center where frame pcs. meet.I don't know if this is needed for smaller screens but at 130" it is required for long term satisfaction.It also gave me a chance to resnug my screen after several weeks of hanging which is also a good idea, imo.
post #194 of 1014 Old 03-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo C View Post

I just wanted to add a few install notes to new buyers.I have a 130 inch screen and it came with one mount for the center which I used.After a few weeks I decided I would rather have one at each end than one only in the middle.The center mount was allowing the ends to sag a little and I have a thing about level/square etc...I went to Lowes and bought two 18" mounts called hangman, similar to the one the screen came with.I mounted them about a foot from each end, amazing that 5 out of six screws lined up.

The screen now hangs very solid and no raised area in the center where frame pcs. meet.I don't know if this is needed for smaller screens but at 130" it is required for long term satisfaction.It also gave me a chance to resnug my screen after several weeks of hanging which is also a good idea, imo.

picture(s)?

thanks
Judd

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

post #195 of 1014 Old 03-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the info in the thread. I placed my order for a 110" white screen and I'm coming from a 100" doable board from Home Depot. I wanted something a bit bigger but cost effective and found this screen that fits my criteria. Projector Samsung SPH-710

I was tempted to get the gray screen but it would have a dimmer image at the trade off of deeper blacks. Plus when i get a newer projector someday, a gray screen may not be needed.

Any thoughts from those with the gray screen option?
post #196 of 1014 Old 03-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post

Thanks for the info in the thread. I placed my order for a 110" white screen and I'm coming from a 100" doable board from Home Depot. I wanted something a bit bigger but cost effective and found this screen that fits my criteria. Projector Samsung SPH-710

I was tempted to get the gray screen but it would have a dimmer image at the trade off of deeper blacks. Plus when i get a newer projector someday, a gray screen may not be needed.

Any thoughts from those with the gray screen option?

I went with the grey since I know that I will be watching HDTV with ambient lights and from what I seen grey will help get me some blacker blacks, with the lights on. Right now, the grey screen will be lighter then the current wall that I am shooting onto right now. But lots of things come into play like projector brightness, screen size etc.

War Eagle!!!
post #197 of 1014 Old 03-19-2011, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Hey Quickhands and the rest,

When you guys project a 16:9 image onto your screen, is your screen exactly 16:9? When I adjust my zoom to fill the screen, if I put the top and bottom right on the inside edge of the border then the sides of the image project about an inch and a half past the inside edge of the side of the border.
post #198 of 1014 Old 03-19-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit73 View Post

When you guys project a 16:9 image onto your screen, is your screen exactly 16:9? When I adjust my zoom to fill the screen, if I put the top and bottom right on the inside edge of the border then the sides of the image project about an inch and a half past the inside edge of the side of the border.

I actually have 2 inches of overhang in the height. It's annoying sometimes, but I don't want to wait for another. I set my screen with the extra up top so I can see espn tickers!
post #199 of 1014 Old 03-19-2011, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit73 View Post

My screen is close but not perfect and believe me I check the espn ticker. Did you guys make sure your projector and screen are level and square to one another?
Having the screens for awhile now what do you think of them?
March Madness looks pretty incredible!
post #200 of 1014 Old 03-20-2011, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Are you guys saying the Jamestown screen is not 100% 16:9 and there will be some over hang? Mine is currently at the UPS center and due for delivery tomorrow. I can't wait to get it set up, but it will be a bit of a dissapointment if it's a little short.

Thanks
Judd

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

post #201 of 1014 Old 03-20-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Fox View Post

Are you guys saying the Jamestown screen is not 100% 16:9 and there will be some over hang? Mine is currently at the UPS center and due for delivery tomorrow. I can't wait to get it set up, but it will be a bit of a dissapointment if it's a little short.

Thanks
Judd

I think they all are different. It's a product made by hand and is likely to not be 100% exact on the measurements. Mine happens to be a bit to tall, and someone else posted that there's was a bit wide. I haven't seen to many posts regarding measurements so hopefully he's pretty accurate on the rest.
post #202 of 1014 Old 03-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Limp Fox,

On my screen when you adjust the projector to fill the entire screen, the image reaches the sides before the top and bottom, once I zoom out enough to get the top and bottom to the edges then the image projects about a half an inch extra on each side. That being said I am really nit picking because in most circumstances you can not even notice it unless you are really looking for it since the black velvet border just sucks up the overspill. I am very happy with my screen, the picture is amazing and I don't see how you could do better for the price! My only tips to you are when you join the two top pieces and two bottom pieces together the pre drilled holes are there they are just hard to see as they are covered by the velvet wrapped onto the back. Also with the larger screen, follow the previous advise of buying some extra hangman brackets to use on the top towards the outside to prevent sagging.
post #203 of 1014 Old 03-20-2011, 04:05 PM

Alright, after reading every single post in this thread - researching the Elite Sable Frame series and talking to James via email (even on a Saturday / Sunday his response time was around an hour or so)

I decided to buy the Jamestown 110 inch in White.

Theater Specs:

Projector: Epson 8350
Lens to Screen Distance: 11 ft 6 inches
Seating is about 10 ft - 11ft away

Max Picture Size After Zooming Out: 117 inches but I decided that 110 was probably sufficient and perhaps a little big based on the size of the room.

I'm aiming to have my entire HT done for just a little over $2000 which includes the projector, screen, Onkyo RC260 receiver, Onkyo 7.1 speaker set, Blu Ray player and necessary cables.

(budget style ftw)

Edit: as for hanging I'm going to see what comes supplied but it looks like everyone is saying D Ring Hangers are best?
post #204 of 1014 Old 03-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Thehalogod,

The new design of his screen comes with what is known as a hangman bracket which is a aluminum french cleat. You do not need to buy anything extra although it seems like it may be wise to buy additional hangmans to add support they are about six bucks at the hardware store
post #205 of 1014 Old 03-20-2011, 07:37 PM

Hi,
This is James with Jamestown screens.
I noticed that there was some question on how true our 16:9 was.
We build 16:9 to the nearest inch as do most screen manufactures.
For instance, Da-lite and Elite screens lists the viewable on a 106" as 52" by 92", which is the same specs we would use.
If you do the 16:9 math a screen of viewable height of 52" would have a viewable length of 92.56
But most companies round down so you end up with a 52" by 92".
Our black velvet borders do a good job of absorbing any spill-over to help you fill the screen.
Thanks,
James
post #206 of 1014 Old 03-21-2011, 10:22 AM

what's up ppl, new to this thread and have a ?. I currently have an Elite Sable Frame 100", after i assembled it I had it leaning on wall just before I was about to hang it and from the side I noticed a dark texture spot or something totally different than the rest of the screen (shown in pic below).
When I project on it with my 8350, the "spot" is VERY noticeable especially in light scenes. This spot is actually in the material so It can't be hot spotting. Well anyway I used the RMA warranty through Elite and got new screen material and after attaching it to the frame, it too had the same spot on it in the same exact place. I can't understand this as my friend has the same screen in 106" and has no spot problems. I'm really disappointed, Elite says they are sending me a 3rd roll of screen material and that it is not part of the last production roll so this one should be good, we'll see. I am seriously considering a Jamestown after reading this whole thread and if this 3rd screen has a spot on it. Any of you guys with a JT have any of these "spots" on your screen???

thx
LL
post #207 of 1014 Old 03-23-2011, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

No spots on my screen.
post #208 of 1014 Old 04-05-2011, 05:10 AM

I have a 120" white ordered from Jamestown to pair up with my Epson 9700, I will be posting my experience with the set up and quality soon.
post #209 of 1014 Old 04-05-2011, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by don-n-sa View Post

I have a 120" white ordered from Jamestown to pair up with my Epson 9700, I will be posting my experience with the set up and quality soon.

Can't wait to hear your impressions. The NCAA title game as ugly as it was looked great on my setup last night as soon as I went to watch it my son turned off the 51 inch and came down to watch. Ah nothing like a little father son time!
post #210 of 1014 Old 04-20-2011, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys haven't seen any of the new owners posting their impressions of the jamestown screen must be to busy enjoying it!
Just wanted to chime back in that I'm really loving my screen and the NBA NHL playoffs now if my red sox could start winning that be great too.

Hope all are enjoying the big screen goodness!
Reply Screens

Tags
Elite , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Projectors , Elite Screens Maxwhite Ez Cinema Series Floor Stand Telescoping Pull Up Screen 60 Diagonal

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page