AVS Forum banner
125K views 1K replies 192 participants last post by  Keith Mickunas 
#1 ·
That is the question, recently I became the proud new owner of an Epson 8350 and started researching screens. I have shown it on my wall for a week and a half and have decided on a 120 inch 16*9 screen for my room. This now leads to the difficult decision of a screen and a tight budget hence no high power.
So now I humbly ask for advice of the those more experienced than I.

Projector: Epson 8350

Screen Size: 120 inch 16*9

Viewing Habits: 75% Sports 15% TV 10% Blue ray

Sources: Panny BD 85 and Comcast cable HD

Room: Light controlled Basement 12*17 room open to rest of basement

Throw Distance:17 feet

Seating: Primary 11 Ft. and 17Ft.

Budget: Under 500

Through research and budget constraints these are my two front runners Jamestown aka Shopping deals on Ebay 120 in. or Elite EZ frame my gut says Elite but my wallet says Jamestown your happy with the wall just any screen will blow you away. The Elite is roughly twice the price of the Jamestown and I wonder if I should just spend the extra now or get my feet wet cheap.

This has been a difficult decision so all advice and opinions are welcomed.
Thank you for any help and if any other info is needed please ask.

Scott

See less See more
#2 ·
If it is price driving you away from the Elite, consider the sableframe series. A 120" version costs about $100 less. It uses the same screen material as the EZ Frame. The only difference is the profile of the extruded aluminum frame. The EZFrame is rectangular, while the SableFrame is curved. The sableframe is also only available with white screen material, while the ezframe is also available in gray and AT fabric. There is a thread somewhere in this forum comparing the two. (edit: thread is at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1277932 )

I have the sableframe and it does a competent job.

Sears currently has the 120" sableframe on sale for just over $300
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=SPM196869380

#4 ·
Jayn-j and Hardvark thank you for your replies I'll look into the sable frame with complete light control I was under the impression white was the screen color of choice and the profile of the frame is of little importance to me. Yes price is a big factor to me I'll definitely read that thread.

Hardvark I have read nothing but good reviews about Jamestown that and the price is why it is so far on my short list.

Two other factors I thought I'd add room color dark blue with a dark green carpet and ceiling above the screen will be darkened to increase picture quality from all the reading I've done these seem to be two of the biggest improvements one can make.

Again thank you gentlemen for your time!!

#5 ·
I will chime in but with VERY little knowledge. I currently am projecting on a bed sheet so any opinion of mine is.....well.......lacking in knowledge. I also have James' (Jamestown aka shopping deals) on my short list as a front runner. I had several emails back and forth with him about a year ago and he was VERY nice and VERY informative about screens as well as projectors. When I first got into HT I saw his screens and emailed him to ask a few questions. Next thing you know (being very new to HT) I decided to ask about projectors and throw distances as well as room colors, setups etc. So as far as customer service prior to the sale goes he really exceeded my expectations. Now as far as value and performance of his product I have really no info here other than ALL the reviews I have read on his EBAY account as well as the members here on AVS that have purchased and been pleased with his screens and ALL have been positive. The main reason I was leaning his direction like you is price, that said I am definitely interested to know more about the Elite EZ frames or any other in a low price point because I too am not in the market for a $3000 screen.

Subscribed!

#6 ·
Well I read over the Elite sable frame threads thanks Jayn-j and it also seems like a solid choice at this price point. I hope anyone can chime in on the difference of the screen materials of Jamestown or Elite as both seem pretty competitive in every other area.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Hands
3000!!! I would go high power then
Haha me too. I do have a dream that as soon as my theater build (version 2) is over (currently underway)to upgrade to the Panasonic AE-4000u

#10 ·
I did a google search last night and retrieved Jamestown's homepage. Problem was that the page redirected me to a series of spam sites.

I don't know if that means the company isn't viable, or if he simply changed his focus to ebay marketing only. Just a datapoint.

I'm not interested as I have a perfectly good elite, but I was curious about screen material on the Jamestown. I also read it uses a wood frame instead of aluminum.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j /forum/post/19774653

I did a google search last night and retrieved Jamestown's homepage. Problem was that the page redirected me to a series of spam sites.

I don't know if that means the company isn't viable, or if he simply changed his focus to ebay marketing only. Just a datapoint.

I'm not interested as I have a perfectly good elite, but I was curious about screen material on the Jamestown. I also read it uses a wood frame instead of aluminum.

He is an EBAY only business to my knowledge. He sells only there. Someone may choose to correct me if I am wrong but I believe that is what he told me some time back. His company is very viable and ALL reviews of his screens are great.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve /forum/post/19775314

He is an EBAY only business to my knowledge. He sells only there.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing of course--it's a (well-established) mechanism for interacting with customers, especially wrt getting payments made and easing communications. And as for jayn_j "redirection to spam sites" problem with his web page, I've never experienced anything of that nature when visiting there--probably a coincidence.

Given how the owner (maybe one-man shop, not necessarily a bad thing either) has exposed EVERYTHING about himself between eBay and his web page (name, address, email, phone number etc), he appears to be trying very hard to establish himself. He has everything to lose if he screws up.

We need to find out what kind of material is used for the Matte White and High Contrast screens. If it's good material, these screens appear to be a very good deal.

#13 ·
The website redirect was a search engine issue. When I typed the url in directly, it worked fine.

Screen material is multi-layer PVC. I am impressed with the frame within a frame concept with tension adjust. I had heard about the wood frame, but the web says there is an aluminum inner frame as well.

The frame is also coated with velvet fabric as opposed to the spray on flocking of the Elite.

I like my Elite, but if I had seen this, I would have definitely considered it. BTW, he does sell direct on the website.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Hands /forum/post/19785719

Geoff240ti I look forward to hearing your opinions on the screen and congratulations!! In your research did you find out what type of screen material is used.

From the website:
Quote:
Key Benefits

Our High Definition Cinema Quality Matte White Screen Material:
Multi-layer PVC based material for strength and HD image quality

Micro-textured for image clarity and 60 degree wide viewing angle

1.2 gain for bright vivid colors and excellent contrast

Fully adjustable screen tension

Perfect for HDTV, and Blu-Ray

Very likely the same supplier used by elite for screen material. Their specs on both white and gray are similar.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Hands /forum/post/19785719

Geoff240ti I look forward to hearing your opinions on the screen and congratulations!! In your research did you find out what type of screen material is used.

The only real information I know of is what he has told me (and now lists on his newer auctions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestown /forum/post/0

Our High Definition Cinema Quality High Contrast Gray Screen Material:

-Multi-layer PVC based material for strength and HD image quality

-Microtextured for image clarity and 60 degree wide viewing angle

-0.8 gain for high contrast and excellent blacks

Now, why did I decide on Jamestown? I considered everything from wilsonart laminate DIY, elite, all the way to a SI Black Diamond. Everyday I'd have myself talked into a different screen, wake up the next day with second thoughts.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a DIY Wilsonart. I backed out because of cost, to get the stuff locally would cost hardly much less then the jamestown (I wouldn't even save $100), but more important it would cost me time which I don't have alot of!

Then I decided against white screens all together (for now). 3 reasons why, my projector, theater room and screen use.

My projector, Optoma HD180 is said to be plenty bright, but lack blacks. High gain screens are great if your viewing distance is far, which is an option for me but I'd rather sit closer. I picked a 100" Screen and with my throw distance for my projector it should put it in the optimal spot for brightness. Gray screens are known to be dark, but with my combination I don't feel worried. I've looked at alot of screenshots with gray vs white vs silver. If done right the gray can look awesome!

The theater (section of basement) has light colored walls and roof, and for now that's how it stays. I am open to changing wall or ceiling colors.

How I'll use the screen, hopefully with some background lights on. Not always, but I don't always want to sit in the dark.

I was tempted to spend a couple thousand on a screen, but I'm going to try the cheaper alternative first until I figure out exactly what I want. If a black diamond was less I probably would of started with that route. I will consider an upgrade if I'm not happy, but I'm very hopeful about the jamestown. Google results, ebay feedback shows very very happy customers who have switched from name brand screens to jamestown.

I've got 649 (refurb projector, thanks woot) + 270(screen shipped) = $919 If I get decent results with this setup I'll be thrilled. If I spend $2500+ on a screen and wasn't totally impressed I would be pretty bummed.

It'll be late january before I get my screen.. but I'll have my monoprice and accessories4less order (can you tell I have been reading here?) in and installed by that time. Hopefully the day the screen arrives everything is up and running and i'll be posting results shortly after.

#18 ·
Thanks for the replies!! Geoff240ti Thanks for that detailed explaination on your screen choice it sounds very familiar to mine after reading all the positive reviews on Jamestown I planned to call them and order a screen but timing didn't cooperate. I'm still pretty certain I'm going to go with Jamestown but now I have the weekend to change my mind.

I would appreciate it if you guys could look at my room requirements in the first post and tell me if white is the best choice for me and thanks to all who replied in this thread I see a lot of the screen advice threads go down with a few or no responses!!

#19 ·
Just to help you pull the trigger, I am waiting for my Jamestown 120 HD as we speak for my epson 8700
. My father has a Mitsu 3000 projecting to a Da-lite 110 screen at his house. So I we will see how this jamestown compare to that one, but according to the reviews on this forum and on his ebay site. I could not pass up the price of this screen.

#20 ·
Vietcu thanks for the reply can't wait to hear what you think and compare with the Da-lite, please. I believe I'm pretty set on the Jamestown
but I've changed my room around after having people over and dedicated more space to the PJ and now I'm thinking about a 130 inch
! My only concern is if I'm going to big but I've been watching it for a few days now and love it but I hope its alright as the bulb dims any opinons are appreciated.

#1,063 ·
Vietcu thanks for the reply can't wait to hear what you think and compare with the Da-lite, please. I believe I'm pretty set on the Jamestown
but I've changed my room around after having people over and dedicated more space to the PJ and now I'm thinking about a 130 inch
! My only concern is if I'm going to big but I've been watching it for a few days now and love it but I hope its alright as the bulb dims any opinons are appreciated.
Don't just think about doing it (Going to a 130), save up and make it happen. I have a 150" in an average sized room and it is fantastic. I have read comments from people with math formulas and such. Phooey! Go big or go home! I used to think the 100" was "enough" but since putting in the 150 I would never consider going back, especially with 3D movies. It makes you feel just like you are in the movie with the action. And for Sports, well, you can hear the cheers from the street.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Hands /forum/post/19810022

There is NO such thing as too big!!
.........................wait thats what she said!!!

#22 ·
Well the wife and I are painting the basement a dark shade of blue now so we will see if this helps the picture quality and if the 130 inch still looks good and then on to carpet and then hopefully the screen.

DO you guys think with full light control the epson 8350 and dark walls and carpet that the 130 inch screen will be alright or bright enough?

#23 ·
Well I just took a chance and have placed an order for the 120" white Jamestown screen. I was planning on doing a DIY Wilsonart when I came across this thread. As others have mentioned I don't think I could build the DIY for much less than the Jamestown and would have to invest a lot of time that I could use to complete the rest of my theater. I figure with the 60 day money back guarantee that I don't have much to lose! Once I get it setup I will make sure to report here with the results.

-Brent

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff240ti /forum/post/0

The only real information I know of is what he has told me (and now lists on his newer auctions)

Now, why did I decide on Jamestown? I considered everything from wilsonart laminate DIY, elite, all the way to a SI Black Diamond. Everyday I'd have myself talked into a different screen, wake up the next day with second thoughts.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a DIY Wilsonart. I backed out because of cost, to get the stuff locally would cost hardly much less then the jamestown (I wouldn't even save $100), but more important it would cost me time which I don't have alot of!

Then I decided against white screens all together (for now). 3 reasons why, my projector, theater room and screen use.

My projector, Optoma HD180 is said to be plenty bright, but lack blacks. High gain screens are great if your viewing distance is far, which is an option for me but I'd rather sit closer. I picked a 100" Screen and with my throw distance for my projector it should put it in the optimal spot for brightness. Gray screens are known to be dark, but with my combination I don't feel worried. I've looked at alot of screenshots with gray vs white vs silver. If done right the gray can look awesome!

The theater (section of basement) has light colored walls and roof, and for now that's how it stays. I am open to changing wall or ceiling colors.

How I'll use the screen, hopefully with some background lights on. Not always, but I don't always want to sit in the dark.

I was tempted to spend a couple thousand on a screen, but I'm going to try the cheaper alternative first until I figure out exactly what I want. If a black diamond was less I probably would of started with that route. I will consider an upgrade if I'm not happy, but I'm very hopeful about the jamestown. Google results, ebay feedback shows very very happy customers who have switched from name brand screens to jamestown.

I've got 649 (refurb projector, thanks woot) + 270(screen shipped) = $919 If I get decent results with this setup I'll be thrilled. If I spend $2500+ on a screen and wasn't totally impressed I would be pretty bummed.

It'll be late january before I get my screen.. but I'll have my monoprice and accessories4less order (can you tell I have been reading here?) in and installed by that time. Hopefully the day the screen arrives everything is up and running and i'll be posting results shortly after.

Geoff, I'll be watching for your updates as I'm thinking down the same path as you. I also have an HD 180 and I'm thinking about a gray screen for many of the same reasons you list. Let us know how things go. BTW: Which bracket did you go with? Optimal is to hang about 10.5", isn't it? I'm considering going 120" screen width, but more realistically 110" to leave space for speakers outside the projectors path.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponycar /forum/post/19832291

Geoff, I'll be watching for your updates as I'm thinking down the same path as you. I also have an HD 180 and I'm thinking about a gray screen for many of the same reasons you list. Let us know how things go. BTW: Which bracket did you go with? Optimal is to hang about 10.5", isn't it? I'm considering going 120" screen width, but more realistically 110" to leave space for speakers outside the projectors path.

I'm supposed to get it between Jan 24th-28th. I'll be sure to post! My basement room isn't quite finished yet.. but I'm trying to hurry for when the screen shows up.

I went with the monoprice bracket: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

For some reason I remember reading guys saying it wouldn't work.. but seems to be just fine to me?

I'm interested to hear where you read it was optimal to hang 10.5"? That was one thing I couldn't figure out.. just that it had to be 7.84" above the screen. If I have to hang it 10.5" from roof that'll throw a loop into things!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.