Old 12-30-2011, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

At least put it behind the screen?

Yeah, that would make sense...but my screen will be mounted right up against the ceiling and a soffit...so no space behind the screen, really.

I'm tempted to cut the end of the cable off and hard-wire it into a box in the ceiling...but that's probably against code.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Better than a socket plug hidden in the ceiling anyway...
If there a box there already? If so, no additional harm in connecting it there.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:03 PM

The walls and ceiling are still unfinished. So, I can place the box/outlet where ever I want to.

I can't seem to find anything about whether or not cutting the cord and hard-wiring it into a box would be "legal".
Old 12-30-2011, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a huge difference betweem 1.0 gain and 1.1 gain. I have an Elite Screen 106 inch. I was thinking about getting the Multiformat screen but they only sell it in 1.0 gain. Will I lose a lot of brightness? Thanks.

Keith
Old 12-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithj101 View Post

Is there a huge difference betweem 1.0 gain and 1.1 gain. I have an Elite Screen 106 inch. I was thinking about getting the Multiformat screen but they only sell it in 1.0 gain. Will I lose a lot of brightness? Thanks.

Keith

10% lose in brightness, which may or may not matter based on your size and projector.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post

The walls and ceiling are still unfinished. So, I can place the box/outlet where ever I want to.

I can't seem to find anything about whether or not cutting the cord and hard-wiring it into a box would be "legal".

I guess the cord probably is not rated for in-wall use? Check if it says CL2 on it.
Are you finishing with sheetrock or suspended ceiling?

Old 12-30-2011, 05:02 PM

Random question: Can I use a different companies screen material in the MonoPrice Multiformat Frame? Was thinking of possibly using Stewart screen material...would end up being far cheaper, if it worked.

Keith
Old 12-30-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:

I received my:

"Tab-Tensioned Motorized Projection Screen (Somfy Motor) w/ IR Remote - HD White Fabric (133 inch, 16:9)"
There are some waves in the "fabric" at both lower corners, but I haven't tried tightening the strings yet. (The tensioning system is also of lower quality than I have witnessed on name brand screens).

Well, now I've tried to remove those wrinkles for about 30 minutes. It isn't happening. It's like the "tabs" are in the wrong place, or there aren't enough of them near the bottom of the screen. I'll be calling monoprice in the new year to see what they have to say about that. It *should* be completely flat, right? Isn't that why we pay extra for tensioning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

I guess the cord probably is not rated for in-wall use? Check if it says CL2 on it.
Are you finishing with sheetrock or suspended ceiling?

I haven't checked the cable. I'm using a sheetrock ceiling. I spoke to an electrician. He mentioned that since it's against code to bury a box behind sheetrock anyway...I would need an access panel there. And, since I'm going to have an access panel no matter what...might as well just put a normal outlet behind the access panel (above the sheetrock), and plug the regular cable into it (no need to cut it). Then I just need one of those "brush" low voltage passage-way things, or some other way to get the power cord from one side of the sheetrock to the other while looking neat and clean.

-Kevin
Old 01-01-2012, 11:38 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I received my:

"Tab-Tensioned Motorized Projection Screen (Somfy Motor) w/ IR Remote - HD White Fabric (133 inch, 16:9)"

First the details.
1) The box is absolutely huge. And it was very nicely packaged. Double boxed, no damage to the internal box. The shipping weight was 96 pounds.
2) Out of the box, it is still quite imposing.
3) The mounting brackets are absolutely dead simple, and wonderful. We thought hanging the screen (since it was so heavy) was going to be difficult, but the mounting brackets seem to just grab the thing and hold on to it. Very nice.
4) Motor seems quiet enough, and it is certainly smooth.
5) The screen smells like a swimming pool toy (more on this in a bit)

Some quick dimensions.

The top case is 135.5" long.
The bottom bar is 128" long.
The sides have 3 and 1/8" of masking (at the narrowest)
The bottom has 2 and 1/2" of masking plus the width of the bottom bar (1 and 1/2")

Power cord and IR receiver are on the left.

My impressions:
Not great. The reason this screen smells like a swimming pool toy is that it is made of vinyl, just like a swimming pool toy. And it isn't very thick vinyl either. I guess I could have and should have done some more research, but monoprice describes this as a "FABRIC" screen in the specifications as well as the item description. This also means the the masking area is simple black vinyl and not a fabric.

It also doesn't look much better than it did when projecting on a bare wall. I suppose that's because the gain of the screen (1.0) is probably very close to the gain of the wall. In retrospect, if we didn't want a screen that disappeared, I think I could have put some black borders up on the wall and had very very similar quality.

There are some waves in the "fabric" at both lower corners, but I haven't tried tightening the strings yet. (The tensioning system is also of lower quality than I have witnessed on name brand screens).

I've used monoprice for just about everything that they sell. In other words, if I need something, and monoprice sells it, that's where I buy it. Overall, I am always 100% satisfied. I would say, in this case, that I got what I paid for, and not what seems like an absolute steal. If I were doing it again, or could easily return this screen, I would probably choose to pay twice as much for a better quality screen material, but that's just MHO.

-Kevin

This pretty much mirrors my exact experience and reaction to a T. I also got the 133" white tab tensioned. It was a lot wider than I expected but got it to fit finally into my room. I was also disappointed in the 'fabric' but in the end it looks fine so I guess I can't complain. I was shooting on a textured wall previously so I do have the added benefit of not seeing the texture anymore.
I also have the waves at the bottom corners of the screen. That's also were the tab tension is tightened. I've loosened it and tightened it to no avail. Still waves. Granted once the light is off and I'm viewing, I can only barely tell. But it's still annoying that I paid extra for tab tension and it's not doing what it promises to do. It actually seems like the waves get worse the more I tighten it. Since the tightening screw is in that bottom corners it seems to just pull harder at the one corner instead of spreading out the tension properly along the string. If I pull the string myself a few inches above the wave it flattens it out.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithj101 View Post

Random question: Can I use a different companies screen material in the MonoPrice Multiformat Frame? Was thinking of possibly using Stewart screen material...would end up being far cheaper, if it worked.

Keith

If it were sewn to the correct dimensions and had pockets sewn into it for the tensioning rods and cut-outs for the springs, etc then sure, but I am not sure how you would get that done.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonkers View Post

It actually seems like the waves get worse the more I tighten it. Since the tightening screw is in that bottom corners it seems to just pull harder at the one corner instead of spreading out the tension properly along the string. If I pull the string myself a few inches above the wave it flattens it out.

Yep, that's exactly right. I'm going to call tomorrow and see what they say.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Has any one gotten one of the gray screens? I was wondering how it looked? I am waiting on the 120 White to come back in stock. I'm projecting on a gray wall with my HD20 right now and it looks great to me. Just wonder if I should just go ahead and get the gray 120 since it's instock. Thanks

Old 01-03-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Yep, that's exactly right. I'm going to call tomorrow and see what they say.

I called monoprice about the fact that my screen has waves that can't be removed with the tensioning system.

He claimed that it would go away within a week. When I told him that it had been hanging for 5 days already he said it could take up to 2 weeks. I'm going to give it some more time, but probably return it if it doesn't flatten out in that time.

Why pay for a tensioned screen that can't make itself flat via tensioning?

-Kevin
Old 01-03-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:

I called monoprice about the fact that my screen has waves that can't be removed with the tensioning system.

He claimed that it would go away within a week. When I told him that it had been hanging for 5 days already he said it could take up to 2 weeks. I'm going to give it some more time, but probably return it if it doesn't flatten out in that time.

Why pay for a tensioned screen that can't make itself flat via tensioning?

-Kevin

It was a pita to install in the ceiling for me so no way I'd return it. I'd probably ask for compensation if it never flattens out.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonkers View Post

It was a pita to install in the ceiling for me so no way I'd return it. I'd probably ask for compensation if it never flattens out.

How long have you had yours? Have you formally complained yet?

Well, mine was up, now it's down (since the walls/ceiling aren't finished yet, hanging it was just a test). But I'm going to find a way to hang it again so I can leave it in the down position for another week.

I did some more research, and it seems that *plenty* of the so-called name brand screens describe their "fabric" as "vinyl", so I shouldn't be too upset at the screen material itself.

And I should probably try watching an actual movie (HAH!) on this screen before passing judgement, but since the room isn't finished, that isn't really practical.

We'll see what happens.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:

How long have you had yours? Have you formally complained yet?

Well, mine was up, now it's down (since the walls/ceiling aren't finished yet, hanging it was just a test). But I'm going to find a way to hang it again so I can leave it in the down position for another week.

I did some more research, and it seems that *plenty* of the so-called name brand screens describe their "fabric" as "vinyl", so I shouldn't be too upset at the screen material itself.

And I should probably try watching an actual movie (HAH!) on this screen before passing judgement, but since the room isn't finished, that isn't really practical.

We'll see what happens.

I've had mine about 6 months but only actually installed about 3 weeks. It took me that long to get over my laziness of cutting my ceiling and trying to mount something that's 120+ lbs. And it's only been hanging down full time about a week. The waves haven't gotten any better from what I've seen. I'll give it another week and then I'll complain and see if they tell me it'll take 3-4 weeks to flatten out.
Other than that, I've been happy with it.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I'm planning to get a manual pull down screen.
If I were to watch a movie once a week, will the screen get "wavy" fast?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:48 AM

It seems like these screens and frame are really heavy. I am looking at the 130" screen and can't figure out how I am going to hang it on my double 5/8" drywall mounted to metal hat channel.

Can someone give me some ideas? I don't want to secure it to the studs and defeat my room within the room.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:07 AM

Okay, I've decided that my 133" tab tensioned screen is not acceptable. The waves haven't gone away, and can't be removed with the tensioning system. And I was able to notice the waves while watching a movie (though I had to look for them). A truly tensioned screen should not have this problem. So, I'm beginning the RMA process today.

But, here's the question. Has *anyone* received one of these that is actually perfect? I have to decide if I want them to try to send me another one, or I should just move on, and get a DaLite. I've only heard of Yonkers having the same problem, but are there others that have this screen and don't have waves in the bottom corners?

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunar1995 View Post

It seems like these screens and frame are really heavy. I am looking at the 130" screen and can't figure out how I am going to hang it on my double 5/8" drywall mounted to metal hat channel.

Can someone give me some ideas? I don't want to secure it to the studs and defeat my room within the room.

My 133" screen had a 96 pound shipping weight. It comes with 2 brackets. That means each one has to hold about 50 pounds.

Each bracket has about 6 holes for screws... So, if you were to use those super heavy duty drywall anchors that can each hold 50 pounds, and use about 4 in each bracket, you should be plenty secure. Especially since each one will have 2 sheets of 5/8 drywall to hold onto... But that's just MHO.

-Kevin
Old 01-09-2012, 12:44 PM

Did I mention that I absolutely love monoprice, and use them for everything?

Well, that feeling is starting to change. The review I wrote of the screen (pointing out that it isn't perfect) was never made public, and now it has been deleted. I makes it pretty clear that they are censoring their public reviews. Yuck.

I asked them why or how this happened (during my RMA request) and they said they couldn't see any review and therefore couldn't answer my question...

Of course, the review did exist since I was able to see it on "My Account/My Reviews", and a monoprice CS rep actually responded to the review asking if they were creases or waves...so it wasn't my imagination.

Anyway, now I'm off to shop for a replacement screen. Anyone have any suggestions? :-)
Old 01-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Well, that feeling is starting to change. The review I wrote of the screen (pointing out that it isn't perfect) was never made public, and now it has been deleted. I makes it pretty clear that they are censoring their public reviews. Yuck.

I asked them why or how this happened (during my RMA request) and they said they couldn't see any review and therefore couldn't answer my question...

Of course, the review did exist since I was able to see it on "My Account/My Reviews", and a monoprice CS rep actually responded to the review asking if they were creases or waves...so it wasn't my imagination.

Anyway, now I'm off to shop for a replacement screen. Anyone have any suggestions? :-)

It took my review 2 weeks to show up on the site after I posted it. Hopefully they just review it for foul language, etc...
Old 01-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

When that happened to me it was so a Monoprice person could contact me direct to try to resolve the issue. After going through an RMA to completely rule out the product, I got another chance to re-post my review and it showed up (different product)
Old 01-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Well I went Da-Lite - as I had similar issues with Monoprice and it ROCKS!
Old 01-09-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

Well I went Da-Lite - as I had similar issues with Monoprice and it ROCKS!

Which Da-Lite, and which projector? I'm considering the Tensioned Contoured Electrol with my Epson 5010.

(But, now it seems that we are off-topic for this thread, so maybe a direct PM to respond is in order? Thanks!)
Old 01-09-2012, 06:14 PM

Liked: 16
While waiting for the Monoprice 120" white multi-format screen to get back in stock, I'm starting to consider the 150" fixed frame 2.35:1 screen, and masking the sides for 16:9 format with either vertical black velvet strips with velcro at top and bottom attached to cover the sides or black curtains to cover the sides.

Have any of you done side masking on a fixed 2.35 screen? If so, what method, and how do you like it?

I appreciate any feedback.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:15 AM

Okay, I have to apologize to monoprice...they aren't filtering their public comments. My review has been posted:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback

In the meantime, they've asked me to send them photos of the screen so they can see the waves. I figured since I took the time to take the photos for them, I might as well post them here as well...

It isn't easy to capture this with a camera...as it turns out, the pictures of the BACK of the screen actually show it better due to the contrast of the black back, and the shiny reflection of the light colored walls and floor.

These pictures are the BEST position of the tensioning. Any tighter and it gets worse, fast. Any looser, and it actually doesn't change...just the sides start to sag.

-Kevin
LL
LL
LL
LL
Old 01-10-2012, 08:49 AM

That is pretty bad. Definitely not what one expects on a tab tensioned screen.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post

That is pretty bad. Definitely not what one expects on a tab tensioned screen.

Thanks for confirming. I'm glad the pictures were able to convey the wrinkles.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:59 PM

Does anyone know if the monoprice fixed frames have a solid upper and lower frame member? I know some companies like elite break them down into two pieces for cheaper shipping. Forgive me if this has already been answered a million times.

Tags
Monoprice , Projection Screens , Dalite