Originally Posted by KevinG
I received my:
"Tab-Tensioned Motorized Projection Screen (Somfy Motor) w/ IR Remote - HD White Fabric (133 inch, 16:9)"
First the details.
1) The box is absolutely huge. And it was very nicely packaged. Double boxed, no damage to the internal box. The shipping weight was 96 pounds.
2) Out of the box, it is still quite imposing.
3) The mounting brackets are absolutely dead simple, and wonderful. We thought hanging the screen (since it was so heavy) was going to be difficult, but the mounting brackets seem to just grab the thing and hold on to it. Very nice.
4) Motor seems quiet enough, and it is certainly smooth.
5) The screen smells like a swimming pool toy (more on this in a bit)
Some quick dimensions.
The top case is 135.5" long.
The bottom bar is 128" long.
The sides have 3 and 1/8" of masking (at the narrowest)
The bottom has 2 and 1/2" of masking plus the width of the bottom bar (1 and 1/2")
Power cord and IR receiver are on the left.
Not great. The reason this screen smells like a swimming pool toy is that it is made of vinyl, just like a swimming pool toy. And it isn't very thick vinyl either. I guess I could have and should have done some more research, but monoprice describes this as a "FABRIC" screen in the specifications as well as the item description. This also means the the masking area is simple black vinyl and not a fabric.
It also doesn't look much better than it did when projecting on a bare wall. I suppose that's because the gain of the screen (1.0) is probably very close to the gain of the wall. In retrospect, if we didn't want a screen that disappeared, I think I could have put some black borders up on the wall and had very very similar quality.
There are some waves in the "fabric" at both lower corners, but I haven't tried tightening the strings yet. (The tensioning system is also of lower quality than I have witnessed on name brand screens).
I've used monoprice for just about everything that they sell. In other words, if I need something, and monoprice sells it, that's where I buy it. Overall, I am always 100% satisfied. I would say, in this case, that I got what I paid for, and not what seems like an absolute steal. If I were doing it again, or could easily return this screen, I would probably choose to pay twice as much for a better quality screen material, but that's just MHO.