New ranges of Monoprice screens seem to be coming soon - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 575 Old 01-12-2012, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yup, the upper and lower frame members are solid. The screen frame is of surprising quality given the price. I love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 575 Old 01-12-2012, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by zax123 View Post

yup, the upper and lower frame members are solid. The screen frame is of surprising quality given the price. I love it.

+1
post #393 of 575 Old 01-12-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zax123 View Post

Yup, the upper and lower frame members are solid. The screen frame is of surprising quality given the price. I love it.

Awesome, thanks! How do the brackets work? Do you "hang it" like a picture so that you can slide it left or right? Or is it fixed in place? Thanks!
post #394 of 575 Old 01-12-2012, 09:53 AM

Also, is the grey screen a light grey like elite's or a darker grey color? Thx!
post #395 of 575 Old 01-14-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post

I ordered the 120" multi-format yesterday. I think I got the last one - it says out of stock now. I was not successful getting the assembly manual from anyone here, but monoprice was kind enough to email it to me. So, here it is for anyone else interested:

http://www.2shared.com/document/cFun...979707971.html

My god these directions seem terrible. I can't get any idea of what the mounting system actually looks like. You can't even tell how far in the mounting points are on the screen or if they're fixed in place or adjustable. I'm assuming mounting in studs is necessary considering the weight but if the mounting points are fixed thres not much of a chance of both of them lining up with a stud. And even then it probably wouldn't be in the right position if you could find two studs t line it up with. It seems like the system that Elite and other have is better where the screens simply hangs on two or more brackets. Anyone with the multiformat or reqular fixed frame have any input?? Anyone??
post #396 of 575 Old 01-14-2012, 01:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo85281 View Post

My god these directions seem terrible. I can't get any idea of what the mounting system actually looks like. You can't even tell how far in the mounting points are on the screen or if they're fixed in place or adjustable. I'm assuming mounting in studs is necessary considering the weight but if the mounting points are fixed thres not much of a chance of both of them lining up with a stud. And even then it probably wouldn't be in the right position if you could find two studs t line it up with. It seems like the system that Elite and other have is better where the screens simply hangs on two or more brackets. Anyone with the multiformat or reqular fixed frame have any input?? Anyone??

It is much easier than it looks. The metal brackets have multiple holes along the length (3 to a group if I recall) so you are going to hit studs. The distance between the brackets is pre-measured for you via the straps. The brackets are french cleats and the brackets on the back of the screen go behind the lip of each of the brackets on the wall. The screen can be moved horizontally along the length of the brackets. The two safety screws go in through through the bottom of two of the oblong holes in the bottom bracket to keep the screen locked in place.

For an example, below is the lower screen bracket hanging on the lower french cleat.
LL
post #397 of 575 Old 01-14-2012, 05:40 PM

That helps so much! Thanks for that. I can't wait to get this screen. All of the reviews have been great!
post #398 of 575 Old 01-16-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:

The trick is not to read them

The only part you need to know is what screws go where and to remember to hook up the pulley system. Other than that, grab a stud finder and let common sense take over.
bentson likes this.
post #399 of 575 Old 01-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttusqrl View Post

The only part you need to know is what screws go where and to remember to hook up the pulley system. Other than that, grab a stud finder and let common sense take over.

AND, IF you got the variable format, do NOT forget the "stops" or you'll be doing the assembly more than once!!!!
post #400 of 575 Old 01-16-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

AND, IF you got the variable format, do NOT forget the "stops" or you'll be doing the assembly more than once!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttusqrl View Post

Great info guys, thanks! I'm still curious as to whether or not the grey screen is a light grey or a dark grey. I don't like to go by the gain ratings because some people have said that the gain rating of the white screens is wrong. If anyone has the grey and can comment I would appreciate it!
post #401 of 575 Old 01-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Great info guys, thanks! I'm still curious as to whether or not the grey screen is a light grey or a dark grey. I don't like to go by the gain ratings because some people have said that the gain rating of the white screens is wrong. If anyone has the grey and can comment I would appreciate it!

Sorry if I missed this BUT, if you have a light controlled room, I'd go with the white!!!
post #402 of 575 Old 01-17-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

Sorry if I missed this BUT, if you have a light controlled room, I'd go with the white!!!

Actually the reason I was considering grey is because I will be using this in my living room with a super bright 2800 lumen projector. I don't have dark walls and I think the grey may help with lowering my black levels. I was curious about the look of it because I haven't seen any pics yet.

Have you noticed any banding on the white screen as others have noticed? Thanks!
post #403 of 575 Old 01-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Actually the reason I was considering grey is because I will be using this in my living room with a super bright 2800 lumen projector. I don't have dark walls and I think the grey may help with lowering my black levels. I was curious about the look of it because I haven't seen any pics yet.

Have you noticed any banding on the white screen as others have noticed? Thanks!

Nope, I love mine!
post #404 of 575 Old 01-17-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:

I have to admit that I have noticed banding on my 130" 2.35:1 fixed frame white screen. It's only with very bright scenes and only when the contrast/color mix makes it happen... I admit that it is quite frustrating to not have a perfect picture, but the problem only rears its ugly head occasionally...
post #405 of 575 Old 01-17-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Scroll back through the thread and look for posts and photos from NathanR, I believe he got the grey screen,
post #406 of 575 Old 01-17-2012, 11:53 AM

I have a contact at Monoprice that can send you screen fabric samples. Send me a PM if you want the info.

JVC RS15
120" Elite Sable Screen
Onkyo NR-808 Receiver
Aperion 6C Center Channel, 4T Towers, 5DB Surrounds, and Bravus 10 sub
post #407 of 575 Old 01-19-2012, 12:55 PM

My 133 motorized tab tension screen came in last week. I havent' got a chance to open it. The end of the box is damage but looks like it was the mount was there and it's ok. It was delivered by UPS 18 wheeler. don't know how he made in the neighborhood.

Anyways, I'm thinking about installing a flat led 60in screen behind the screen. Do you think there is enough room for it? Or the projector screen will hit it?
post #408 of 575 Old 01-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy09sc View Post

My 133 motorized tab tension screen came in last week. I havent' got a chance to open it. The end of the box is damage but looks like it was the mount was there and it's ok. It was delivered by UPS 18 wheeler. don't know how he made in the neighborhood.

Anyways, I'm thinking about installing a flat led 60in screen behind the screen. Do you think there is enough room for it? Or the projector screen will hit it?

I don't ahve your screen... but if clearance becomes an issues, just mount a 2 x 4 FIRST to your wall and then mount your screen to that. will give you more clearance.
post #409 of 575 Old 01-20-2012, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This may be a bit off-topic for this thread, but I thought I'd put it here for completeness.

My 133" tab tensioned monoprice screen was picked up yesterday (RMA'd because of the waves that couldn't be removed).

As luck would have it, my DaLite 133" cinema vision was delivered the same day. I hung it last night and thought I would give some comparisons.

#1) The monoprice screens absolutely WIN when it comes to the mounting bracket. The fact that they use the same bracket for ceiling or wall, and that the bracket basically reaches out and grabs the screen making installation a breeze should not be lost on anyone. Of course, you pretty much do this once or twice and never again. The DaLite ceiling mount is a royal PITA. You have to basically get someone (or a bunch of people) to hold it up to the ceiling while you drive the anchors in (after marking and pre-drilling holes). Because of this, I used the wall mount...which at LEAST lets you mount it (the bracket) to the wall without having to hold the entire thing up in the air while you are doing it. Once up, it wasn't anywhere near as easy to get the screen onto the bracket. But, once it was there, it was fine.

#2) The monoprice screen comes with IR remote (this is extra for the DaLite)

#3) The monoprice screen comes with projector control (if the projector has an output, it can control the screen up/down) (this is extra for the DaLite)

#4) The DaLite screen comes with a wall switch for up/down/stop (that doesn't HAVE to be used if you pay up for some other control like the ones listed above)

#5) The monoprice screen comes with a captive power cord that needs to be plugged into an outlet. The DaLite gets hardwired. For me, the DaLite is the better choice here, since it means I don't have to figure out how to hide the power cord, and have a code-compliant outlet to plug it into.

#6) The motor on the DaLite is slightly quieter than the monoprice "somphy" motor. (And I didn't get the DaLite "silent" motor)

#7) The case is a bit nicer on the DaLite (textured, not smooth black) [just MHO]

#8) The DaLite screen material is ever so slightly thicker than the monoprice material. It also doesn't smell like a pool toy, thought it may have a slight scent of it's own. Hard for me to tell since insulation was installed the same day, and that certainly has a scent to it...

#9) The tensioning system on the DaLite is quite a bit more substantial than on the monoprice screen.

#10) Lastly, the DaLite screen is actually flat. ;-)

All that being said, it was nearly twice the price! So, if you get a good one, or you can be satisfied with some waves, the monoprice screen is a bargain. I just wasn't willing to settle after investing over 10K in theater equipment. The other thing I gained here was some "gain" in screen material. Monoprice only offers 1.0, and, by going with DaLite, I was able to get the 1.3 that I really wanted.

-Kevin
post #410 of 575 Old 01-21-2012, 06:08 AM

Those are good objective observations Kevin - thanks.
post #411 of 575 Old 01-23-2012, 09:55 AM

I would like to see a video of the tab tension monoprice and some pictures too!

Av123 Onix Rockets RS1000 , AV123 RSC200 BIGFOOT, B&W WM6 White, Denon AVR-4311CI 9.2
DIY Stereo Integrity SI 18" Subwoofer X2, HTPC Running XBMC 14TB , Roku HD Player
Sony VPL-VW70 Pojector, Xbox 360 250GB, Yamaha RX-V573
post #412 of 575 Old 02-05-2012, 07:57 AM

With respect to the multiformat screen:

Does anyone have experience to know whether warming the screen material causes it to shrink or stretch? The wrinkles in the middle are still annoying me. I was thinking of gently warming it with a hair dryer in hopes it would shrink and tighten, but I am afraid I could end up making it worse.
post #413 of 575 Old 02-05-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:

With respect to the multiformat screen:

Does anyone have experience to know whether warming the screen material causes it to shrink or stretch? The wrinkles in the middle are still annoying me. I was thinking of gently warming it with a hair dryer in hopes it would shrink and tighten, but I am afraid I could end up making it worse.

Are you sure you aren't seeing bading on your screen and not wrinkles? It would be odd to have wrinkles in the middle of a screen that is tensioned. I have the 133" grey monoprice screen and banding is a bit of an issue. They are vertical bands and seem to worsen where you would typically see a hotspot (the reflection of the projector).
post #414 of 575 Old 02-05-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Are you sure you aren't seeing bading on your screen and not wrinkles? It would be odd to have wrinkles in the middle of a screen that is tensioned. I have the 133" grey monoprice screen and banding is a bit of an issue. They are vertical bands and seem to worsen where you would typically see a hotspot (the reflection of the projector).

Well, not 100% certain. I had described it as banding earlier, but the more I had looked at it from the side, the more I think it is the result of inadequate tension in the material across the horizontal width of the screen.
post #415 of 575 Old 02-06-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Well, not 100% certain. I had described it as banding earlier, but the more I had looked at it from the side, the more I think it is the result of inadequate tension in the material across the horizontal width of the screen.

I contacted my rep at monoprice to see what he says about the imperfections. If I can get them to send me a white screen material and compare I will do that and let you know. As far as taking a hair dryer to it, I would imagine that throwing hear at it would make it expand and create less tension.
post #416 of 575 Old 02-06-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_R View Post

I'm still overall very happy with the setup.

The screen itself has some imperfections in it. There are some bands vertical bands that will show up on bright white scenes. These are in the fabric itself, although I thought at first they were from the screen being rolled up in a box for God knows how long. Unfortunately that wasn't the case, but again, I only see them occasionally in bright all-white images. They're not nearly as noticeable as the hotspots my old Da-Lite HCCV or pearlescent screens had, and I can't photograph them, so I consider them to be an acceptable momentary hiccup.

Otherwise, the frame continues to impress me with its build quality. I think the frame alone would have been worth the price I paid.

The masking mechanism is holding up incredibly well. I spend a good amount of time in the theater with the family, constantly moving to different aspect ratios for material, and the panel movement is still fluid and stress-free.

The panels are as black as night and absorb every bit of light thrown at them. The little latch is undetectable, as well, in darkness.

Hope this helps a bit.

I just put up my fixed grey monoscreens screen and my self as well as others have noticed the same banding issue as you. It appears to me like imperfections as you stated but is it possible that there isn't enough horizontal tension and were seeing small waves. I just did a test and when I have my side windows in the room fully open the bands appear to get worse, indicating that what I'm seeing is are in fact waves. BTW, they do run almost the entire length of the screen from top to bottom and most of the horizontal width. For me they're fairly easily visible on a lot of scenes and not just all white backgrounds.

Let us know if you have come up with any solutions short of getting a new screen.

I do love the frame though!
post #417 of 575 Old 02-06-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:

I contacted my rep at monoprice to see what he says about the imperfections. If I can get them to send me a white screen material and compare I will do that and let you know. As far as taking a hair dryer to it, I would imagine that throwing hear at it would make it expand and create less tension.

I have already been through that exercise with Monoprice. They know zero about the screens and how to deal with the problem. They are buying these from some factory in china. They did not design or manufacture the screens and they seem to have not made any real effort to familiarize themselves with the product. They have no specs beyond what the factory has given them. If there is a problem they give you the ability to return it - that is all. No support and no parts, etc. But, that is the price we pay to get these screens at rock bottom prices.
post #418 of 575 Old 02-07-2012, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The 120s with masking are back instock.

post #419 of 575 Old 02-08-2012, 05:58 PM

Just picked up the Only two 106" grey Multi-Format screens available. I was notified on the 7th that they were back in stock, after ordering I checked the email again and saw they only had two instock! wow guess I was lucky or early. Anyways picked it up just today and word of warning, these things are much larger than I expected, even after hearing they how large they were.

Here is a pic of my friend next to it and our "almost not big enough" van to fit it

If I have time, ill set it up tonight!
LL
post #420 of 575 Old 02-09-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celedral View Post

Just picked up the Only two 106" grey Multi-Format screens available. I was notified on the 7th that they were back in stock, after ordering I checked the email again and saw they only had two instock! wow guess I was lucky or early. Anyways picked it up just today and word of warning, these things are much larger than I expected, even after hearing they how large they were.

Here is a pic of my friend next to it and our "almost not big enough" van to fit it

If I have time, ill set it up tonight!

I'm interested in hearing your opinion of the grey screen. I and others have noticed some vertical banding and I would be curious to see if you have any of the same experience.
Reply Screens

Tags
Monoprice , Projection Screens , Dalite

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page