AVS Forum banner

New ranges of Monoprice screens seem to be coming soon

110K views 576 replies 120 participants last post by  prince.nothing 
#1 ·
Monoprice seems to be listing some new types of screen.

Link: http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...08&cp_id=10829

Including:

Grey, as well as white.

Tab tensioned, motorised screens

Ceiling recessed versions of all motorised screens

Fixed screens with velvet borders

2.35:1 screens

Multi-format (16:9, 2.35:1) screens

Screens up to 150" diagonal

Details are sparse, with descriptions largely being copy-pastes of other screen descriptions, so that even fixed screens are mentioned as being electric. We'll see how these screens pan out, I suppose.

Prices are reasonable, especially for tab-tensioned electric screens and huge dual-format screens. Not quite sure what the dual format screen comprises - motorised masking panels, perhaps?

See less See more
#330 ·
Just hung my 133" white screen. The frame looks real good. People with wave issues, make sure you tension the screen much as you can. We had to redo a corner several times to get the last waves out. Now it is perfect. I don't see any hot spots nor do I see textures. Also, the viewing angle is really good.

People who have hung on the wall, do you guys use both top and bottom brackets? I only used the top bracket and used two screws into studs. It feels pretty sturdy.

#333 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman /forum/post/21370415

Impressive box, isn't it?

Very impressive box. Unfortunately, today was trash day and now I have cardboard everywhere, but nevertheless, the screen is hung! It looks wonderful and I'm extremely happy with it so far.

I also got my new Denon today, so tomorrow the receiver goes in, as do 5.1 of my 7.1. The other two (side surrounds) are going to take some finagling with some fish tape since they are a pain the ass.

I'm praying that the final part of my mount comes in tomorrow as well so I can hang my projector. Then I can push my couch in the game room in there and wait for my chairs to make it in later this month, early next month.

It's finally starting to look like a media room rather than just a cave!

#334 ·
Just ordered the 106 multi HD white
Got the email that they were back in stock and pulled the trigger. Was going to go with 110 Carada but the masking feature won out. Going to be paired with an Epson 8700ub, anyways gives me incentive to finish painting so I can ge this mounted when it shows up.

#336 ·
I'll likely be ordering the 133" motorized white in the next few days as well (my epson 5010 arrives tomorrow, and I want to shoot it at the wall to see what 133" will look like first).

There's no way I would order it *without* the tab-tension. I'd rather shoot on a wall than on a non-tensioned screen.

IMHO.

-Kevin

#337 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG /forum/post/21375843

I'll likely be ordering the 133" motorized white in the next few days as well (my epson 5010 arrives tomorrow, and I want to shoot it at the wall to see what 133" will look like first).

There's no way I would order it *without* the tab-tension. I'd rather shoot on a wall than on a non-tensioned screen.

IMHO.

-Kevin

REALLY? That bad huh? Guess because it starts to have hotspots or wrinkles/wave in the long run?

My brother has a 90in 10yr old elite manual screen and it still works fine. No wrinkles are waves.

#338 ·
I am told that tension isn't strictly required up to size of 106 inches, but makes all the difference in the world above that size. So a 90-inch screen is not comparable to a 133-inch.

#339 ·
Just pulled the trigger on this baby:

Tab-Tensioned Motorized Projection Screen (Somfy Motor) w/ IR Remote - HD White Fabric (133 inch, 16:9)

Shooting the 5010 at unfinished (tape and spackle) dry-wall made me wonder why I need a screen at all...it looked that good. Hopefully this is be an obvious improvement. ;-)

-Kevin

#340 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG /forum/post/21383902

Just pulled the trigger on this baby:

Tab-Tensioned Motorized Projection Screen (Somfy Motor) w/ IR Remote - HD White Fabric (133 inch, 16:9)

Shooting the 5010 at unfinished (tape and spackle) dry-wall made me wonder why I need a screen at all...it looked that good. Hopefully this is be an obvious improvement. ;-)

-Kevin

Wish I could have considered a Monoprice, due to tight specs I really need more size info...so I ended up with a Da-Lite Cosmo Tab Tensioned with Da-Mattte screen material. Quite a bit more than Monoprice, but at least I know it will fit.

#343 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 /forum/post/21383938

Wish I could have considered a Monoprice, due to tight specs I really need more size info...so I ended up with a Da-Lite Cosmo Tab Tensioned with Da-Mattte screen material. Quite a bit more than Monoprice, but at least I know it will fit.

I hear ya. I'm fortunate to not really have any space constraints (within reason) with this screen.

I'll certainly post up all relevant measurements once mine is installed.

-Kevin

#344 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman /forum/post/21384350

I think it is safe to say Monoprice does not do their own manufacturing of these screens, so most likely it depends whether they are sourcing all of them from the same Asian factory or from different factories. I would suspect that is more determinate than the price.

i think they are made by GRANDVIEW SCREENS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.