New ranges of Monoprice screens seem to be coming soon - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 575 Old 04-22-2011, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
well, i went and picked up my screen from their warehouse yesterday morning before i went into work. it's the 106" fixed frame white. if i had any sick leave left i woulda just skipped out anyways, after gettin home shortly after 11pm, i got to work on the screen. this is the first one i've had to put together, and it took me just under an hour to do it. though by the end, i was too tired to try to level and mount the thing, so i just put it up against the wall for a few quick tests. overall, i'm quite pleased with the outcome for the relatively low cost. i'm coming from an hc1600 on an epson duet portable screen, to an 8700ub on this new screen, i'm enjoying the difference. s131.photobucket.com/albums/p305/flyingmunkey/projector here's a link to a quick pb album. sorry for the quality of the pix, i'm in the middle of moving and i don't know where i've placed my dslr, so these were provided by my cellphone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 575 Old 04-25-2011, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone been able to find real pictures of the multi-format screen? The CAD drawing on the Monoprice website leaves a lot to be desired. I'm really curious how the pullbars look in reality.
post #33 of 575 Old 04-25-2011, 06:19 PM

I assume you saw the photo on the monoprice website showing the bars?

LL
post #34 of 575 Old 04-25-2011, 06:46 PM

Yeah. That's obviously a CAD illustration.
post #35 of 575 Old 04-26-2011, 02:27 AM

I guess I can't tell the difference then.
post #36 of 575 Old 04-27-2011, 06:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

I was all set to sign up as a guinea pig this morning for the 106" white multi-format screen until I saw the shipping charge-- $265 to Atlanta. Yikes.

I don't expect Monoprice to eat shipping charges, but that's vulgarly excessive. I've had three different screens from different vendors shipped to Atlanta over the years and none of them has ever been more than $150 to ship.

PSN: KyFriedNate | XBL: KyFriedNate
My SACD Collection | My DVD-A Collection
post #37 of 575 Old 04-27-2011, 08:33 AM

Ouch!
post #38 of 575 Old 04-27-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_R View Post

I was all set to sign up as a guinea pig this morning for the 106" white multi-format screen until I saw the shipping charge-- $265 to Atlanta. Yikes.

I don't expect Monoprice to eat shipping charges, but that's vulgarly excessive. I've had three different screens from different vendors shipped to Atlanta over the years and none of them has ever been more than $150 to ship.

Yeah, I just noticed it's $150 to ship to Iowa, which, for me, knocks it completely out of consideration.
post #39 of 575 Old 04-27-2011, 05:41 PM

My shipment was 75Lbs(150" 2.35:1 fixed) and $84 shipping charge(ground 3-5 day) last week and that was to Wisconsin

The $250+ charge was for 2 day shipping and $365 for 1 day.....on my order anyway!

If you buy it, USE IT!!!!
post #40 of 575 Old 04-28-2011, 09:35 AM

$263 is the only option it is offering me to Maryland. That is standard ground (3-5 days).
post #41 of 575 Old 04-28-2011, 09:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Only one for me as well. Boo.

post #42 of 575 Old 04-29-2011, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I just put the 106" multi-format fixed screen in my queue at MonoPrice, shipping $135 to Seattle Washington. I also put my parent's zip code in So Cal (where Monoprice is) in to calculate and came back with $135 as well ground shipping.

I'm really curious to hear of someone who buys the multi-format screen regarding how letterbox bars lock in place, how close material/sheen of letterbox bars is to frame, etc. I see one thing I don't like is the knobs at center of masking seem like they'd be noticeable reflecting light from screen onto them.

Is anyone aware of other manufacturers making a manual making system like MonoPrice has? I love the idea. I've tried to make my own attachable letterbox black bars which I'm not totally thrilled with the results.
post #43 of 575 Old 05-01-2011, 12:56 PM

Liked: 14
$135 to ship 350 miles to Modesto? I don't think so. UPS would probably damage it anyway. For once I'm glad I drive a truck. I'm going to do some measurements and see if I can fit a 110" 2.35:1 fixed screen inside this condo sleeper cab. My company has a terminal nearby in Fontana, and for a local pick up the price sure is right. I might even store it outside behind the cab vertically if it's not too long. Time to get my tape measure out!

Jim
post #44 of 575 Old 05-09-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Well I bit the bullet on the grey 106" multi-format screen this morning. Either those first shipping charges were mistakes, or they moved to a flat rate for these, as mine was now $135 for ground service to Atlanta. I guess I'll have it by the Friday and I'll install/review it over the weekend.

I've only had four screens in my time (2 Da-Lite Model B flat whites and 2 Da-Lite Perm-Wall pearlescent/HCCV screens), so I'm not sure how valuable my review will be, but I'll gladly post a ton of photos of the screen when it arrives.

post #45 of 575 Old 05-09-2011, 08:50 AM

Nathan,
You ROCK! Please post up your opinions when you get this as I am looking at the larger one as well.
post #46 of 575 Old 05-09-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Well I bit the bullet on the grey 106" multi-format screen this morning. Either those first shipping charges were mistakes, or they moved to a flat rate for these, as mine was now $135 for ground service to Atlanta. I guess I'll have it by the Friday and I'll install/review it over the weekend.

I've only had four screens in my time (2 Da-Lite Model B flat whites and 2 Da-Lite Perm-Wall pearlescent/HCCV screens), so I'm not sure how valuable my review will be, but I'll gladly post a ton of photos of the screen when it arrives.

I'm interested in your impressions as well. I also wonder how hard it would be to motorize the masking. Getting up to change the format would be kind of annoying.
post #47 of 575 Old 05-09-2011, 09:27 AM

I am most interested to hear how durable the masking mechanism is and whether any part of it is shiny and distracting.
post #48 of 575 Old 05-09-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:

Subscribed...looking very forward to your review!
post #49 of 575 Old 05-12-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:

Nathan,
I am sure you took today off to install your screen, so where's the pics!! :-)
C'mon, you are our official guinea pig for this screen and I really want you to like it so I can order the 120" version!!
PICS, IMPRESSIONS...I don't have all day you know! :-)
post #50 of 575 Old 05-12-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

Nathan,
I am sure you took today off to install your screen, so where's the pics!! :-)
C'mon, you are our official guinea pig for this screen and I really want you to like it so I can order the 120" version!!
PICS, IMPRESSIONS...I don't have all day you know! :-)

^^^^What streamer said
post #51 of 575 Old 05-12-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

It's so close that I can almost smell the velvet, but unfortunately I won't take delivery on it until tomorrow afternoon.

post #52 of 575 Old 05-12-2011, 06:05 PM

Then you will be sucked into it ALLLLL weekend
post #53 of 575 Old 05-13-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

So my delivery was today. Except it wasn't really a delivery. I got a call from UPS bright and early this morning saying that they forgot to put the screen on the truck and asking if I was sure that I really needed it today after all (Who asks that??). I said that yes, today was my scheduled delivery day and I've already taken the day off from work to meet their delivery window, so I'd like it delivered today. They put me on hold, shuffled some schedules, and then agreed to bring it out to my house today-- a little ahead of their original delivery time, as well. Pretty cool so far!

A couple hours later, I got a call from someone else at UPS Freight saying that they can't drive to my house because they're in a big truck. I told them that I had not one but THREE cul-de-sacs available for truck turn-arounds, as my road makes some soft curves. This has never been a problem for ABF Freight or Atlas Van Lines from what I've seen out my window, but I understand that it's probably not easy by any means. So I agreed to meet them at the end of my subdivision on the main road, and they'd load the screen into my vehicle. I cautiously asked if they thought I could transport the thing in my Jeep, and they said that it wouldn't be a problem since the box was under 5 feet long. Ok, no problem.

20 minutes passed and I received another call, asking me to meet the driver in some random industrial park across town to take delivery there. At this point I was getting pretty frustrated because I paid $135 to have this thing delivered to my door, and now I had to go get it somewhere else and deliver it myself that final 10 miles. This was not the industrial park in which the UPS terminal was located or anything like that, but literally just a random office park the driver knew.

So I met the driver at the industrial park, thanked him for coming out this way on a hot Friday afternoon, and stood ready to slide the box into my Jeep. Yeah, so apparently the screen's frame rails are whole single pieces-- which is great for build quality-- but that also meant that the box was about 9.5 feet long. The poor driver could do nothing but shake his head when I nervously said I was told this would be about half as long. It was pretty clear that he had no intention of helping me load the box into my vehicle, and I'm still not sure now if I should have expected his assistance as a freight driver, but he did give it a lift and push when he saw me struggle with the beast.

So in the end, I thankfully made it home without the box falling out of the back of the Jeep. Was I happy about a box dangling out of my liftgate? Negative. In fact, two aspirins later, I'm pretty mad about this whole ordeal so far. I have no idea what sort of condition the box's contents are in, and like I said, I'm livid that I paid $135 for home delivery when in fact there was there was no home and only half a delivery involved. I haven't opened the carton, so I can't post photos of the interior. I started to snap a photo of the giant boot print on top of the "Handle With Care" sticker, but then I decided to contact Monoprice and then vent here.

So, Happy Friday the 13th!

post #54 of 575 Old 05-13-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 194
As long as the screen turns out to meet all your expectations, this will all just fade into memory... not that I don't agree with you - just try to stay positive.

Have fun setting it up, and we'll wait (patiently?) for pictures.
post #55 of 575 Old 05-13-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:

So my delivery was today. Except it wasn't really a delivery. I got a call from UPS bright and early this morning saying that they forgot to put the screen on the truck and asking if I was sure that I really needed it today after all (Who asks that??). I said that yes, today was my scheduled delivery day and I've already taken the day off from work to meet their delivery window, so I'd like it delivered today. They put me on hold, shuffled some schedules, and then agreed to bring it out to my house today-- a little ahead of their original delivery time, as well. Pretty cool so far!

A couple hours later, I got a call from someone else at UPS Freight saying that they can't drive to my house because they're in a big truck. I told them that I had not one but THREE cul-de-sacs available for truck turn-arounds, as my road makes some soft curves. This has never been a problem for ABF Freight or Atlas Van Lines from what I've seen out my window, but I understand that it's probably not easy by any means. So I agreed to meet them at the end of my subdivision on the main road, and they'd load the screen into my vehicle. I cautiously asked if they thought I could transport the thing in my Jeep, and they said that it wouldn't be a problem since the box was under 5 feet long. Ok, no problem.

20 minutes passed and I received another call, asking me to meet the driver in some random industrial park across town to take delivery there. At this point I was getting pretty frustrated because I paid $135 to have this thing delivered to my door, and now I had to go get it somewhere else and deliver it myself that final 10 miles. This was not the industrial park in which the UPS terminal was located or anything like that, but literally just a random office park the driver knew.

So I met the driver at the industrial park, thanked him for coming out this way on a hot Friday afternoon, and stood ready to slide the box into my Jeep. Yeah, so apparently the screen's frame rails are whole single pieces-- which is great for build quality-- but that also meant that the box was about 9.5 feet long. The poor driver could do nothing but shake his head when I nervously said I was told this would be about half as long. It was pretty clear that he had no intention of helping me load the box into my vehicle, and I'm still not sure now if I should have expected his assistance as a freight driver, but he did give it a lift and push when he saw me struggle with the beast.

So in the end, I thankfully made it home without the box falling out of the back of the Jeep. Was I happy about a box dangling out of my liftgate? Negative. In fact, two aspirins later, I'm pretty mad about this whole ordeal so far. I have no idea what sort of condition the box's contents are in, and like I said, I'm livid that I paid $135 for home delivery when in fact there was there was no home and only half a delivery involved. I haven't opened the carton, so I can't post photos of the interior. I started to snap a photo of the giant boot print on top of the "Handle With Care" sticker, but then I decided to contact Monoprice and then vent here.

So, Happy Friday the 13th!

WAH WAH WAH you big baby! Just get it up and get us some pictures! We don't care how much of an inconvenience it was for you! You're our guinea pig! Glad to know the frame rails area all one piece!
Now get it up! (the screen, I mean)

Seriously though, I would contact monoprice and see if they would do anything for you, as that is a pretty shi..crappy thing to have to deal with!
post #56 of 575 Old 05-13-2011, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Well at least we now know the answer to "What can brown do for you?". Apparently not much.
post #57 of 575 Old 05-14-2011, 05:07 AM

My God! It's Saturday and we still don't have a review or a hundred pics from Nathan! What in the world is he doing! I know he spent all night setting it up so c'mon, we just got to know..THUMBS UP or THUMBS DOWN??
post #58 of 575 Old 05-14-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah Nathan give us the details Bro!! I'm 100 miles south of you, don't make me have to drive to hot-lanta just to see this screen. lol
post #59 of 575 Old 05-14-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Edit: some initial shots of the panels and whatnot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/6286993...7626719406142/

More pictures will come either tonight or tomorrow, as I've just now finished putting the thing together (twice at that) and my wife is about to kill me. It's too large and wobbly for me to mount on my own, so my father-in-law is going to help me lift it later this evening.

I've built it twice so far. The instructions are terribly written and the diagrams are way too small, but thankfully I'll never have to read them again. I somehow missed the part where it noted to attach the masking panels to the pulley mechanism, so after completing the whole build process otherwise, I took a look at my work and scratched my head over random guide wires hanging out. So I took it apart, attached the masking panels, and reassembled the beast. Anyone else who gets this-- don't forget to attach the masks to the guidelines.

The masking panels are indeed covered in the same velvet that covers the frame and overall they're pretty dang attractive. The CAD drawings on Monoprice's website show finger tabs on both the top and bottom masks, but in reality there's only a single recessed fingerhole on the bottom panel to adjust both masks. Otherwise, there were no badly machined holes, loose velvet pieces, or odd joints anywhere on the frame, which is pretty remarkable given the unit's price. Overall, the frame itself is a showpiece in my humble opinion-- but then again don't forget that it's also replacing quite possible the ugliest frame ever made.

Unfortunately I haven't fired a picture at the screen itself yet, as it's propped up against another wall, but the material itself seems awfully thin. Maybe I'm spoiled with the industrial build of my Da-Lite Perm-Wall screens, but this almost feels like really thick latex gloves.

I've also never had a screen that relied on tension rods before. No complaints there, as the screen is taut all around-- it's just an interesting experience stretching out all those little springs every six inches....and doing the whole bloody thing again once you realize you forgot to attach the masks.

I apologize again for not having action shots to post right now, but I'm utterly exhausted from building it twice. Well, that and lacking 2 additional arms and the ability to deadlift 100lb 4feet above my head.

Anyone have build questions or concerns? Specific photos you want?

post #60 of 575 Old 05-14-2011, 03:16 PM

Nathan,
Nice pics! That give me a feel for how the velvet compares to the screen border. I like the single finger hole too, just wish it was a bit darker like the velvet. Looking forward to your impressions once you have it mounted and are putting an image on the scree. 100 POUNDS though? Dam, that seems heavy! Let me know how the screen gets attached to the wall. I am looking at the 120" so I can imagine that weighs a bit more...
Thanks once again for the pics and time posting them. I appreciate it and if you are ever up in the Chicago area, free beer from me! (or your choice of libation)
Reply Screens

Tags
Monoprice , Projection Screens , Dalite

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page