AVS Forum banner

New ranges of Monoprice screens seem to be coming soon

110K views 576 replies 120 participants last post by  prince.nothing 
#1 ·
Monoprice seems to be listing some new types of screen.

Link: http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...08&cp_id=10829

Including:

Grey, as well as white.

Tab tensioned, motorised screens

Ceiling recessed versions of all motorised screens

Fixed screens with velvet borders

2.35:1 screens

Multi-format (16:9, 2.35:1) screens

Screens up to 150" diagonal

Details are sparse, with descriptions largely being copy-pastes of other screen descriptions, so that even fixed screens are mentioned as being electric. We'll see how these screens pan out, I suppose.

Prices are reasonable, especially for tab-tensioned electric screens and huge dual-format screens. Not quite sure what the dual format screen comprises - motorised masking panels, perhaps?

See less See more
#477 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics  /t/1315813/new-ranges-of-monoprice-screens-seem-to-be-coming-soon/450#post_22509277

I was refering to the SI screen. I can still see the greyish black bars on scope material and after getting used to the adjustable aspect of the monoprice, it's hard to get used to seeing those again.

Oh, OK and thanks for your clarification.

I know that you already replaced the Monoprice screen, but I would like to hear your impressions on this screen. I'm planning on buying one in the near future and I really like the fact that you can use it in two different formats.

Looking forward to read your impression.

#478 ·
I was very pleased with the monoprice grey screen in 2d. I have a dual Benq W7000 setup and even with that for 3d the grey screen just wasn't bright enough for 3d. My setup is in my family room and I prefer not to watch movies or sports in total darkness. That's the only reason I went with the 1.4 gain SI screen.

The adjustable height aspect worked extremely well on my monoprice. Others have said they had problems, but I never did over the 6 months I used it.

If you don't have to deal with room lights, I would highly recommend the monoprice. The adjustable aspect makes a big difference while watching scope movies.

#480 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics  /t/1315813/new-ranges-of-monoprice-screens-seem-to-be-coming-soon/450#post_22509471

I was very pleased with the monoprice grey screen in 2d. I have a dual Benq W7000 setup and even with that for 3d the grey screen just wasn't bright enough for 3d. My setup is in my family room and I prefer not to watch movies or sports in total darkness. That's the only reason I went with the 1.4 gain SI screen.

The adjustable height aspect worked extremely well on my monoprice. Others have said they had problems, but I never did over the 6 months I used it.

If you don't have to deal with room lights, I would highly recommend the monoprice. The adjustable aspect makes a big difference while watching scope movies.

Thanks for the input trgraphics. I want to get the 106" mulitformat in white for my dedicated home theater (complete light control). I like the multi use of the white screen as opposed to the grey. Would your recommend the monoprice 106 in white for my primary use (movies in light controlled environment)?

#482 ·
Thanks for all the posts.

My PJ is a Sony VW-85. Previously using a StudioTek 130 at 120" diagonal 16:9 in a dark room. Need to go down to 106" diagonal max. Watch a fair amount of HDTV so planning on another 16:9, although the manual Multi-Format is a nice option.

Most of my viewing is after dark & my room has light colored walls with some minor light seepage from a couple of doorways. Was considering a SI BD with 1.4 gain but $$$. What are thoughts about the Monoprice 0.8 Grey vs the 1.0 White.

Since my screen size will be going down to 106 would the image with the 0.8 Grey be significantly different than my 1.3 gain at 120" diagonal? I'm thinking the Grey would help my lack of light control.

Any thoughts?

#486 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neowulf  /t/1315813/new-ranges-of-monoprice-screens-seem-to-be-coming-soon/480#post_22837971

I have the 120' Multi Format. its a 1.2 gain screen. Love it.

Do you mind to share further details on how the masking works? I mean, it is really easy to move, do you have to use both hands to pull it up or down?

Any issue during the ensemble process? Any chance you can post some pics for us?

Thanks in advance!

#488 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve*MH  /t/1315813/new-ranges-of-monoprice-screens-seem-to-be-coming-soon/480#post_22838604

Just to clarify; Is the 120" multi-format Monoprice screen 1.2 gain? It is listed as a 1.0 gain screen on the website. I hope it is 1.2 gain as I would prefer something higher than 1.0 for that size. Please clarify.

It is listed as 1.0 but many folks have pointed out that it feels like 1.2. It is def bright to me.

Taken with a crappy Iphone from 10 feet away

#490 ·
My friend has the 120 multi-format Monoprice screen with 1.0 gain with a JVC rs-45 looks great. Will be my next upgrade. Anoughter friend of mine is buying my DIY 120inch and I'm going to upgrade to the Monoprice. Even with my HD20 it should make a nice difrence on precived contrast with the masking bars. I can't wait to get one.

#491 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neowulf  /t/1315813/new-ranges-of-monoprice-screens-seem-to-be-coming-soon/480#post_22840545

It is listed as 1.0 but many folks have pointed out that it feels like 1.2. It is def bright to me.

Taken with a crappy Iphone from 10 feet away

So, what do you do in movies with multi-aspect ratio? I mean, movies like The Dark Knight and TDKR? To you keep it in the 16:9 aspect ratio or do you go with the 2.40:1 and ignore the image spill when the movie switch to 16:9?

Do you mind to post a couple of pics while projecting a 2.40:1 movie?

#492 ·
Just pulled the trigger on the 106" Multi Format white. Two things pushed me over the edge - the gray bars when watching 2.35:1 (just this evening), and the discovery of a 20% off coupon that I didn't want to wait to see if it expires soon (INCENTIVE). I'll keep you all posted

#493 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco  /t/1315813/new-ranges-of-monoprice-screens-seem-to-be-coming-soon/480#post_22857002

Just pulled the trigger on the 106" Multi Format white. Two things pushed me over the edge - the gray bars when watching 2.35:1 (just this evening), and the discovery of a 20% off coupon that I didn't want to wait to see if it expires soon (INCENTIVE). I'll keep you all posted

Where did that coupon code come from? It isn't valid for my account.

edit. 20% coupon promo is still valid, expires 1/31/2013. I was already subscribed and its currently not working for me.

http://www.monoprice.com/home/promo.asp?pn=newsletter_incentive_lp&ui=147906&utm_source=incentive_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=sign_up&utm_campaign=incentive_q4_2012&ref=cj

#495 ·
Got it! Love it!

Here are some pictures of the build etc. : https://picasaweb.google.com/hiperco/Monoprice106MultiformatScreenWhite?authuser=0&feat=directlink

In a hurry now, will post back more details later

EDIT: As promised, more details:

- Overall I am very pleased with this screen, although I have yet to do anything other than "demo" viewing of it. Will watch a full movie later today.

- The screen material surface is good with no sheen or hotspotting. I would guess the gain is slightly higher than 1.0.

- I do like the masking system (which is good since thats the main reason I bought it).

- The mounting bracket "belts" were mounted twisted, I had to untwist.

- The shipping charge is probably appropriate, they had to ship this 9 foot, 100 pound box across the country, and then roll an 18 wheeler to my house...

Packaging: *****

- Very well packaged. Triple boxed.

Construction (Frame): *****

- One piece aluminum frame rails, solidly connected.

- Solid mounting system (but see next comment).

- CONS: Mounting system has metric spacing, with no holes on 16" centers (you could add holes if needed of course). My wall is paneling, with enough thickness that putting just the centers on a stud gives it enough support. Mounting this to drywall would be a challenge.

Assembly Instruction: *

- Really, how hard is it to make useful instructions. There are some errors, and half the total time I spent was making sure you know how it is supposed to work. Had I had access to the pictures I created it would have gone faster

#497 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124  /t/1315813/new-ranges-of-monoprice-screens-seem-to-be-coming-soon/480#post_22849181

So, what do you do in movies with multi-aspect ratio? I mean, movies like The Dark Knight and TDKR? To you keep it in the 16:9 aspect ratio or do you go with the 2.40:1 and ignore the image spill when the movie switch to 16:9?

Do you mind to post a couple of pics while projecting a 2.40:1 movie?

Ill look into getting that picture btw. Sorry, all I have is an IPhone. As far as what it looks like with 2.40:1, it looks like 16:9.. With Multi Aspect, I just deal with my black bars (I have a JVC RS46 so it looks fine without masking (not as good but fine).

#498 ·
How do you like it in comparison to your DIY screen. I have the same kind of DYI screen as you and was wonder how you think it compares? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco  /t/1315813/new-ranges-of-monoprice-screens-seem-to-be-coming-soon/480#post_22881688

Got it! Love it!

Here are some pictures of the build etc. : https://picasaweb.google.com/hiperco/Monoprice106MultiformatScreenWhite?authuser=0&feat=directlink

In a hurry now, will post back more details later

EDIT: As promised, more details:

- Overall I am very pleased with this screen, although I have yet to do anything other than "demo" viewing of it. Will watch a full movie later today.

- The screen material surface is good with no sheen or hotspotting. I would guess the gain is slightly higher than 1.0.

- I do like the masking system (which is good since thats the main reason I bought it).

- The mounting bracket "belts" were mounted twisted, I had to untwist.

- The shipping charge is probably appropriate, they had to ship this 9 foot, 100 pound box across the country, and then roll an 18 wheeler to my house...

Packaging: *****

- Very well packaged. Triple boxed.

Construction (Frame): *****

- One piece aluminum frame rails, solidly connected.

- Solid mounting system (but see next comment).

- CONS: Mounting system has metric spacing, with no holes on 16" centers (you could add holes if needed of course). My wall is paneling, with enough thickness that putting just the centers on a stud gives it enough support. Mounting this to drywall would be a challenge.

Assembly Instruction: *

- Really, how hard is it to make useful instructions. There are some errors, and half the total time I spent was making sure you know how it is supposed to work. Had I had access to the pictures I created it would have gone faster

#500 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVG81  /t/1315813/new-ranges-of-monoprice-screens-seem-to-be-coming-soon/480#post_22894788

How do you like it in comparison to your DIY screen. I have the same kind of DYI screen as you and was wonder how you think it compares? Thanks

I like it better than the Wilsonart Designer White, I suspect due to a little lower gain. The DW screen gain was a bit too much for my Epson 3020.

#501 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywilliam  /t/1315813/new-ranges-of-monoprice-screens-seem-to-be-coming-soon/480#post_22907888

Can someone that has the Monoprice 120" multi-format post the exact measurements for the length and height? I am recessing the screen in a wall so I just want to be sure I allow enough clearance before the drywall goes up.

I think the measurements here are accurate (but please don't blame me as I have the 106"
)

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10829&cs_id=1082910&p_id=7969&seq=1&format=3#specification

Viewing Area: 1494mm Height x 2656mm Width to 1130mm Height x 2656mm Width

Border Dimensions: 100mm Top x 100mm Bottom x 100mm Left x 100mm Right

Total Screen Length: 2856mm

MY CALC: TOTAL SCREEN HEIGHT=1494+200=1694mm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.