Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 575 Old 09-16-2011, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Just ordered a 106" multi-format screen (white, 1.0 gain), largely based on this and the other Monoprice thread in this forum. But, Nathan's review made me confident to take the leap. Will post my impressions next week after I get it.

If anyone needs a good price on a very well taken-care-of 133" 2.35:1 Dalite High Power (manual pull-down), and you're near the Atlanta metro area, let me know . Decided to return to 16:9 for various reasons, but mainly my new Optoma HD33 3D projector.

I'm still in the market for one, so I look forward to hearing another opinion. I will be interested to hear if your screen material had any anomolies like Nathan's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 575 Old 09-16-2011, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Yea take lots of Pictues I'm really intereseted in the 106 inch with the masking. Might look at the 120 also but not sure if it's going to be to big for my room or not.

post #153 of 575 Old 09-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hoping to see a few more reviews before pulling the trigger. Birthday is in 2 weeks...gotta treat myself to something nice. Just replaced my lamp so it's begging for a bigger screen. I'd be going from a 92" DIY to the 106" multi format.
post #154 of 575 Old 09-19-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Looking forward to Brajesh's impressions of the screen. He's probably much more qualified to review it than I.
Hey Brajesh, are you still making DVHS coverart?

PSN: KyFriedNate | XBL: KyFriedNate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #155 of 575 Old 09-20-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Hey Nathan, hope all's well. Haven't communicated with you in ages.

No review on the Monoprice screen, sorry... cancelled the order just before it shipped. Ordered a 119" 16:9 Da-lite High Power screen instead as the Optoma HD33 I have (replaced my Panasonic PT-AE4000U) needs the extra gain, especially for 3D. If Monoprice had a higher gain fixed screen with masking, I'd get it.

Re: cover art, gave that up long ago . I use a Windows Home Server to rip/store all my movies, then use Boxee Box and PopBox to access them. Using Ember Media Manager ('Revisited' edition), you can get exactly the posters, fanart and metadata you want, then get a nice movie/TV jukebox on your player. Much better than physical tapes, discs, whatever .

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #156 of 575 Old 09-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I'm giving their ceiling recessed tab tensioned 106" grey screen a try. Arrives today! It'll get an image from the Epson 8350 I just picked up Tuesday. Setup is in a multipurpose living room with windows that I'll blackout and a room entrance opening that'll remain open, but most viewing will take place at night. I'll report with results, but I have no prior projector experience at my house, so my feedback may be limited.

Why do all of my threads suck? Is there an internet posting school somewhere? -wes k
post #157 of 575 Old 09-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Just ordered the 106" hd white multi format screen. It was difficult to get past the $135 shipping charge, but I bit the bullet...I would have preferred them lying to me and charged me $100 more for the screen and $35 for shipping

I'll post my impressions next week.
post #158 of 575 Old 09-22-2011, 04:12 PM

Coolio - photos too. ;-)
post #159 of 575 Old 10-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

So, I finally got my 106" multi format screen up yesterday. No time for a detailed review yet so I'll just say that overall I love it!! Getting there wasn't so easy. I'd give the instruction manual a D- but it's not exactly rocket science so I figured it out. I'll give a more detailed review with some pics later.

Totally worth the price even with the shipping charges!!
post #160 of 575 Old 10-02-2011, 08:22 AM

Sounds good.
post #161 of 575 Old 10-02-2011, 11:38 AM

Can't wait to see your review and some more pictures. Not sure if i want to get this or a 2:35 screen since I'm getting the new jvc dla-rs45.

post #162 of 575 Old 10-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

So here are my thoughts on the Monoprice 106" HDwhite multi format screen. It arrived very well packaged. Double boxed with lots of dense foam. Took about 30 minutes just to get everything unwrapped. Instructions were a joke. I did the exact same thing Nathan did and had to build it twice. The construction, however was no joke. It is heavy, everything fit perfectly, the tensioning system worked well. I did have to drill some extra holes at the ends of the hanging bracket as mentioned in one of Nathan's posts. No problem though.

I think it looks fantastic. 4" rails covered in velvet and so is the masking system. The matte white screen is uniform and has no problems. I have had a DIY 92" screen painted with Silverscreen paint for the past 7 years. I was afraid that my black levels would suffer by going to the matte white, but suprisingly, the screen is much brighter on bright scenes and the blacks still look great. Perhaps it's the perceived contrast boost with the wide black borders and especially the masked 2.35:1 makes a huge difference in visual contrast. My projector is a Sharp xvz12000mkII.

Highly recommended!

Sorry,Pics are from an iphone

Attachment 224429
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #163 of 575 Old 10-04-2011, 05:06 AM

Thats a really nice looking screen. I was thinking about getting a 2:35 screen but I might just get this as I watch alot of tv shows in hd. The masking system looks really nice. How far off the screen is the masking system when it's out ? Can you take a picture of how it meets the screen and how the frame meets the screen? Also I really like the look of your speaker stands. Very nice setup.

post #164 of 575 Old 10-04-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroder View Post

So here are my thoughts on the Monoprice 106" HDwhite multi format screen. It arrived very well packaged. Double boxed with lots of dense foam. Took about 30 minutes just to get everything unwrapped. Instructions were a joke. I did the exact same thing Nathan did and had to build it twice. The construction, however was no joke. It is heavy, everything fit perfectly, the tensioning system worked well. I did have to drill some extra holes at the ends of the hanging bracket as mentioned in one of Nathan's posts. No problem though.

I think it looks fantastic. 4" rails covered in velvet and so is the masking system. The matte white screen is uniform and has no problems. I have had a DIY 92" screen painted with Silverscreen paint for the past 7 years. I was afraid that my black levels would suffer by going to the matte white, but suprisingly, the screen is much brighter on bright scenes and the blacks still look great. Perhaps it's the perceived contrast boost with the wide black borders and especially the masked 2.35:1 makes a huge difference in visual contrast. My projector is a Sharp xvz12000mkII.

Highly recommended!

Sorry,Pics are from an iphone

Attachment 224429

Good information. Thank you. Too bad the instructions are crap, do they at least have decent diagrams? Is the mounting a french cleat type of system? Would you say the screen gain is accurate at 1:1?
post #165 of 575 Old 10-04-2011, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

I didn't measure it but it looks like the slot for the masking is about a quarter inch from the screen

Attachment 224455
LL
post #166 of 575 Old 10-04-2011, 07:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

In retrospect, I wish I had gone with the matte white screen, too. I'm curious if my vertical bands are a result of the gray paint/material being improperly applied. I may attempt to clean the material at some point. Still, it's really only noticeable on all-white images (which made watching The Thing last night a little awkward).

As far as the instructions go, all I can say is just don't overtighten the screws the first time you build it because you're undoubtedly going to rebuild it once you discover what some of those mystery pieces in the box are actually supposed to do (most notably the mask parts).

|
post #167 of 575 Old 10-04-2011, 07:26 AM

Yea think I'm going to have to pick this up. Whats your seating distance from the screen ? (Nathan_R and mborder) Since your both using the 106inch. My room is going to be 20x12. I'm thinking the 120inch might be a little to big for my room. Be sitting about 10 feet from the screen. Thanks

post #168 of 575 Old 10-04-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVG81 View Post

Yea think I'm going to have to pick this up. Whats your seating distance from the screen ? (Nathan_R and mborder) Since your both using the 106inch. My room is going to be 20x12. I'm thinking the 120inch might be a little to big for my room. Be sitting about 10 feet from the screen. Thanks

I think 120 will be too big for that distance. I currently have 120" @ 14'. I would not want to be too much closer than that.
post #169 of 575 Old 10-04-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_R View Post

In retrospect, I wish I had gone with the matte white screen, too. I'm curious if my vertical bands are a result of the gray paint/material being improperly applied. I may attempt to clean the material at some point. Still, it's really only noticeable on all-white images (which made watching The Thing last night a little awkward).

I wonder if you could buy just the screen material from the manufacturer of the screens (grandview?) and swap it out.
post #170 of 575 Old 10-04-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post

I think 120 will be too big for that distance. I currently have 120" @ 14'. I would not want to be too much closer than that.

Thanks I do have 2 rows of seating one at 10' and then next at 14' ish . I'm still building the room. Have them coming out to put carpet in today.

post #171 of 575 Old 10-04-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

I have one row of seating and I'm either 11 or 13 ft back-- I can't remember what my last re-arrangement of everything was.

|
post #172 of 575 Old 10-04-2011, 08:11 AM

Sounds like the 106 inch should work fine then. Thanks

post #173 of 575 Old 10-04-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:

Thanks I do have 2 rows of seating one at 10' and then next at 14' ish . I'm still building the room. Have them coming out to put carpet in today.

It is a matter of personal preference of course, but I find that if you over-fill the field of view, it is hard on the eyes and brain to absorb all of what is going on in the picture.
post #174 of 575 Old 10-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thats a really nice looking screen. I was thinking about getting a 2:35 screen but I might just get this as I watch alot of tv shows in hd. The masking system looks really nice. How far off the screen is the masking system when it's out ? Can you take a picture of how it meets the screen and how the frame meets the screen? Also I really like the look of your speaker stands. Very nice setup.

Thanks, the speaker stands are a direct result of being married
post #175 of 575 Old 10-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_R View Post

As far as the instructions go, all I can say is just don't overtighten the screws the first time you build it because you're undoubtedly going to rebuild it once you discover what some of those mystery pieces in the box are actually supposed to do (most notably the mask parts).

I'm really happy with the matte white screen. A couple of years ago, I bought a Dalite HiPower screen based on numerous recommendations...I hated it!! The black levels weren't acceptable to me and I hated that the image was different at every seating position in the room. So it was sent back and I stuck with my DIY for a while longer.

There were a few ripples and imperfections in the screen when I first installed it, but they were gone by the next day. The vinyl smell is mostly gone too.

As for the instructions, they were obviously written by someone that uses English as a second language. Monoprice should probably invest a little money in hiring a technical writer to rewrite everything that they distribute. I doubt they would have to raise their prices too much and it would make things a whole lot better...

Fortunately, rebuilding it the second time, once I knew what to do, only took about 10 minutes.
post #176 of 575 Old 10-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post

Good information. Thank you. Too bad the instructions are crap, do they at least have decent diagrams? Is the mounting a french cleat type of system? Would you say the screen gain is accurate at 1:1?

Yes, the mounting is a french cleat type. Other than having to drill a couple extra holes, it was very easy. I really didn't have to even measure anything. I just eyeballed it and used a level (my pj has vertical lens shift). The bottom cleat is strapped to the top cleat with some fake leather straps that hang at just the right distance apart, so you just pull it taught, put in the center screw, then use a level to be sure before screwing the rest of it down. It took 5 minutes. It was very easy to slide the screen horizontally into position and then just tighten the knobs on the bottom.

Couldn't tell you if 1.1 gain is accurate, but it is significantly brighter than my DIY light gray screen ( For what it's worth)...
post #177 of 575 Old 10-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Great thread here folks.

I'm on the edge of making some purchases. The Epson 8350 is on the top of my list and I've determined I want one of the Monoprice 106" screens. The room is for TV, Gaming, and movies, DVD and BRay. Room will be dedicated, no windows, with first seating row of 2 at 10 feet and row of 4 seats 6 inches up and behind. Relatively small room with only 8' ceiling.

I'll have the projector ceiling mounted at the exact "no-zoom" throw distance for the projector to produce a full 106" diagonal picture, no left-right shift. The top of the screen will be 9" below the lowest point of the projector (inverted top) so there will be up-down shift.

I've gone back and forth on gray versus white and NOW I've read ALL this information on the screens with the built in mask for 2:35:1 viewing. Is the reflection from the top/bottom black bars for 2:35 format really worth the roughly $150 in price? I know, worth is relative!!!!

So, gray, white, mask, no mask ??????? THANKS in advance
post #178 of 575 Old 10-08-2011, 06:15 PM

I say white With masking. If you look around evey one is trying to make masking bars. So why not just buy the sreen with them built in. I'm also picking up the 106 inch..

post #179 of 575 Old 10-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I say white With masking. If you look around evey one is trying to make masking bars. So why not just buy the sreen with them built in. I'm also picking up the 106 inch..

If I go with mask, I will. That was part of my question because the built in mask is roughly $150 extra.
post #180 of 575 Old 10-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

I absolutely love the masking! It makes a HUGE difference. Definitely worth the extra money. If I had a few thousand lying around, I'd love to have electric masking, but it's really only for the coolness of it. This screen totally does the job.

I really like the white screen with my pj. I'm not familiar with the epson.
Reply Screens

Tags
Monoprice , Projection Screens , Dalite

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page