Tab Tension Parts For Non-Tension Electric Screen ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-26-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Blue Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Is there a way to make your own Tab Tension for an Electric
screen to keep the screen from curling ?

Can't be that hard.

The thing is I been searching the web for the parts or whatever
it is and can't seem to find anything.

Anyone have any ideas or where to look ?

Thanks

PS: The price jump going from non tension to tension is Ridiculous..Has to be
a way to make your own on the cheap.

73" Mits DLP
Panasonic AE4000 Projector
Blue Rain is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 02-26-2011, 10:54 AM
 
Benito Joaquin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

Is there a way to make your own Tab Tension for an Electric
screen to keep the screen from curling ?

Can't be that hard.

The thing is I been searching the web for the parts or whatever
it is and can't seem to find anything.

Anyone have any ideas or where to look ?

Thanks

PS: The price jump going from non tension to tension is Ridiculous..Has to be
a way to make your own on the cheap.

I've taken apart many screens and worked on fixing many tab tensioned screens and never really thought about it until now....it would be pretty easy to create your own tab tensioned system.

The problem is that there are too many unanswered questions to be able to do this safely. The scary part would have to be cutting the screen. Most non tab tensioned screens are cut straight down on the side. With tab tensioned, the cuts are bowed in towards the image -----> ) ( <-------

to make it work, that cut is necessary. tabs and the cord aren't too difficult, neither is attaching the cord to the tube.

I'll see if i can get my hands on a non tensioned screen and see if i can make it work. Seems like a fun project.

Benito
Benito Joaquin is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 02-26-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Blue Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Joaquin View Post

I've taken apart many screens and worked on fixing many tab tensioned screens and never really thought about it until now....it would be pretty easy to create your own tab tensioned system.

The problem is that there are too many unanswered questions to be able to do this safely. The scary part would have to be cutting the screen. Most non tab tensioned screens are cut straight down on the side. With tab tensioned, the cuts are bowed in towards the image -----> ) ( <-------

to make it work, that cut is necessary. tabs and the cord aren't too difficult, neither is attaching the cord to the tube.

I'll see if i can get my hands on a non tensioned screen and see if i can make it work. Seems like a fun project.

Benito

Hi Benito

Thanks for taking the time to reply..appreciate it !

I been searching the forum for last couple of hours on
DIY tension .

It seems the threads I did find it was the tension part that
was the most troublesome but this was for an entire DIY
screen not an already made electric non tension screen.


Yes after looking at some tension screens on youtube I noticed
that bow cut. This one isn't a bow cut (See Youtube Link ) and just
has the tabs with some kind of wire . There would be enough space on the sides of
non tension screen for tabs to be attached and still be abled to roll back up.


I was also thinking when attaching the tabs they could be staggered (Different Lengths )
to create that bow curve. Kind of like attaching the tabs in a C shape on the
right side and do a backwards C on the left side....Without the extreme curve of the
C of course


I'm just stuck on what type of wire is being used and how it's attached to the roll up rod....You have any idea ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXKtiPaseII&NR=1

Thanks

73" Mits DLP
Panasonic AE4000 Projector
Blue Rain is offline  
post #4 of 5 Old 02-27-2011, 11:08 AM
 
Benito Joaquin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

Hi Benito

Thanks for taking the time to reply..appreciate it !

I been searching the forum for last couple of hours on
DIY tension .

It seems the threads I did find it was the tension part that
was the most troublesome but this was for an entire DIY
screen not an already made electric non tension screen.


Yes after looking at some tension screens on youtube I noticed
that bow cut. This one isn't a bow cut (See Youtube Link ) and just
has the tabs with some kind of wire . There would be enough space on the sides of
non tension screen for tabs to be attached and still be abled to roll back up.


I was also thinking when attaching the tabs they could be staggered (Different Lengths )
to create that bow curve. Kind of like attaching the tabs in a C shape on the
right side and do a backwards C on the left side....Without the extreme curve of the
C of course


I'm just stuck on what type of wire is being used and how it's attached to the roll up rod....You have any idea ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXKtiPaseII&NR=1

Thanks


The wire seems like the easiest part to me. Just a hint......it's not really wire by definition....more of a thick thread. Tabs, you can make yourself. It could get difficult to clean up after you hack at the screen. Giving it that finished look. Attaching the screen to the tube is also a breeze once you simplify things.

Benny
Benito Joaquin is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 05-05-2014, 10:07 PM
Member
 
Cafe Latte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently ordered a fiberglass backed Elite screen and the screen was rippled due to the bottom hanger bit not being correct and it was also damaged in transit. Anyway I was told I could keep the screen so I have a spare I can experiment on and I am wondering about making it into a tab tensioned screen. Any one done this yet and does anyone have any tips?
Regards
Chris
Cafe Latte is offline  
Reply Screens



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off