Dnp supernova screens, is anyone using them? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 03-02-2011, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
6g72tt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I was thinking of ordering a 120" 2.4 gain dnp screen to go with my Jvc rs40 but have found very little info as far as reviews or user testimonials. Is there a reason why they aren't more popular or is just because they are new to the market? Any info or advice would be appreciated.
6g72tt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 03-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
DigsMovies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arriving Somewhere...
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You may have already seen this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1264648

You should also consider the SI Black Diamond if you have not already. Very nice screen:

http://www.screeninnovations.com/

There is a long but interesting thread on the Black Diamond in the screen forum here, and this screen may be easier for you to audition.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=932169

Here are some links I previously bookmarked in researching the dnp screen:
(note: price will vary greatly depending on configuration- masking, curve, etc..)

http://hometheaterreview.com/dnp-sup...reen-reviewed/

http://www.avguide.com/review/dnp-su...ontrast-screen

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/content...jection-screen

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...va-review.html

Please let us know your thoughts if you pick one up!
DigsMovies is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 03-02-2011, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
6g72tt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah I had seen most of that info, but I was looking for more personal experiences. I find the info you get from normal users more accurate than reviewers. There comments often seem o bemoreaccurate with my own personal experiences.
6g72tt is offline  
post #4 of 31 Old 03-02-2011, 04:50 PM
CIV
Newbie
 
CIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6g72tt View Post

Yeah I had seen most of that info, but I was looking for more personal experiences. I find the info you get from normal users more accurate than reviewers. There comments often seem o bemoreaccurate with my own personal experiences.

I have a DNP 120 inch screen . It's setup in my living room which is painted an off white . Theres a window 4x5 foot on the same side that the screen is set up. It has a shade that is opaque so the room is bright during the day . The projector I'm using is an Epson 7500UB set on Silver Screen (a low bulb setting) . If I used Cinema Day it would be very bright when viewing HD programs . The screen is amazing and the quality is excellent . The screen is 1 piece and hangs on 2 brackets . My wife and I set it up . It's an expensive screen but it going to last a very long time . It's an investment . If ever I needed to replace the screen it would be another DNP . It was air shipped from Denmark . The projector is set up 17 feet from the screen and seating is 12 feet. Id you don't have a projector I'd recommend an Epson . Great service and I'm getting 4000+ hours out of the bulbs . Bulbs are expensive .
CIV is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 03-02-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
6g72tt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIV View Post

I have a DNP 120 inch screen . It's setup in my living room which is painted an off white . Theres a window 4x5 foot on the same side that the screen is set up. It has a shade that is opaque so the room is bright during the day . The projector I'm using is an Epson 7500UB set on Silver Screen (a low bulb setting) . If I used Cinema Day it would be very bright when viewing HD programs . The screen is amazing and the quality is excellent . The screen is 1 piece and hangs on 2 brackets . My wife and I set it up . It's an expensive screen but it going to last a very long time . It's an investment . If ever I needed to replace the screen it would be another DNP . It was air shipped from Denmark . The projector is set up 17 feet from the screen and seating is 12 feet. Id you don't have a projector I'd recommend an Epson . Great service and I'm getting 4000+ hours out of the bulbs . Bulbs are expensive .

So are you using the 2.4 gain. How is it at night, do you find it to bright? I am debating if I should just get the 0.8 since I have a light controlled room, the downside being 3d could use the extra gain of tge screen.
6g72tt is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 03-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Member
 
tommy def's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: ny
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6g72tt View Post

Yeah I had seen most of that info, but I was looking for more personal experiences. I find the info you get from normal users more accurate than reviewers. There comments often seem o bemoreaccurate with my own personal experiences.

I am have a .85 right now and it is in my opinion the best screen I have used. I have used many screens Firehawk, BD 1.4, .8, Elite to name a few. What I like best about this screen is no hot spots, very minimal screen texture, and good light rejection, not as good as the BD .8 though. I will be installing a 120" 2.3 tomorrow I will let you know my impression.
tommy def is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 03-02-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
6g72tt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy def View Post


I am have a .85 right now and it is in my opinion the best screen I have used. I have used many screens Firehawk, BD 1.4, .8, Elite to name a few. What I like best about this screen is no hot spots, very minimal screen texture, and good light rejection, not as good as the BD .8 though. I will be installing a 120" 2.3 tomorrow I will let you know my impression.

Oh wow thanks. That would be very helpful. That is my main concern, what kind of room are you using tge screen in?
6g72tt is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 03-03-2011, 10:04 AM
CIV
Newbie
 
CIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know what the gain is but it's a Super Nova One , screen type is Super Nova
20-20 with black felt frame . I spent a lot of time looking at screens and projectors in
NH , Mass , and RI . I don't think you can beat an Epson Projector with a Super Nova
screen combination . I've tried to attach a picture that was shot with a 2 megapixel
camera in daylight with a low setting on the projector . I can't get it to stay in the message box by dragging and dropping .
CIV is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 03-03-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
6g72tt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah the 20-20 is the 2.0 gain screen I believe which has since been replaced by the 23-23 2.3 gain. I wish they would make a 1.4-1.6 gain as it would be the middle ground of both which would be perfect for a guy like me.
6g72tt is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 03-03-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
DNP is a respected name in the screen business, but the only rational for buying a screen from Denmark would be if you can't get equivalent or better screens from a domestic manufacture. Stewart makes some of the best screens available in the world and they are made in the good 'ol USA. Now if you were looking for something down and dirty, there are any number of cheap Chinese imports that would qualify, but then you get what you pay for.
Pete is offline  
post #11 of 31 Old 03-03-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
6g72tt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I am getting the dnp for a very good price, which makes the Stewart screens almost 40% more. I was planning to go with a da-lite cinema vision before the dnp but I think it's worth the step up. Hell my original plan for the current theater was a ae4000 with a Chinese made screen, now it's blown up to a jvc rs40 with a dnp screen. Furthermore I completely blame this forum for my stupidity.
6g72tt is offline  
post #12 of 31 Old 03-03-2011, 02:53 PM
CIV
Newbie
 
CIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The important part about building your own HT is the research you done and the
decision on what parts go into it . It's your design and unique to you . Watch out
for the cost overruns .
CIV is offline  
post #13 of 31 Old 03-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Member
 
tommy def's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: ny
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6g72tt View Post

Oh wow thanks. That would be very helpful. That is my main concern, what kind of room are you using tge screen in?

Ran late today did not have much time to view after installing everything. to answer your question it is in a basement with high hats and dark colored walls. My quick impression it is not as nice as the .85 looks very much like a BD 1.4. It had screen texture not as aggressive as the BD but still noticeable. But my biggest grip is I noticed some horizontal lines in the material and that is something that I also notice on the BD.
tommy def is offline  
post #14 of 31 Old 03-03-2011, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
6g72tt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please let me know more as you have more time, have you ever used the .85 for 3d. How does it react with your potlights on? I have 24 hours to decide, as of now I have the 2.4 on order
6g72tt is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 03-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Member
 
tommy def's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: ny
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6g72tt View Post

Please let me know more as you have more time, have you ever used the .85 for 3d. How does it react with your potlights on? I have 24 hours to decide, as of now I have the 2.4 on order

I haven't tried 3d on the .85 yet but I'm suppose to be installing a rs 50 with 3d setup on a 2.3 in a week. After the way the 2.3 looked on the last job I am questioning whether or not to use the 85 for this install. My only concern is brightness. As far as how it works with the lights i would say decent. If you are watching sports with lights on half way it still looks real good. When you try something with dark scenes it will wash out.
tommy def is offline  
post #16 of 31 Old 03-04-2011, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
6g72tt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy def View Post


I haven't tried 3d on the .85 yet but I'm suppose to be installing a rs 50 with 3d setup on a 2.3 in a week. After the way the 2.3 looked on the last job I am questioning whether or not to use the 85 for this install. My only concern is brightness. As far as how it works with the lights i would say decent. If you are watching sports with lights on half way it still looks real good. When you try something with dark scenes it will wash out.

Do you mean you are thinking that after you saw the 2.3 you are wishing you had used the .85 or that the 2.3 was so good that you think there is no point of using the .85?
6g72tt is offline  
post #17 of 31 Old 03-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Member
 
tommy def's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: ny
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6g72tt View Post
Do you mean you are thinking that after you saw the 2.3 you are wishing you had used the .85 or that the 2.3 was so good that you think there is no point of using the .85?
I wish we used the .85
tommy def is offline  
post #18 of 31 Old 08-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Member
 
BakeApples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Bump!

Anyone know if it`s possible to purchase only the screen fabric of desirable size from DNP?
BakeApples is offline  
post #19 of 31 Old 08-30-2013, 06:55 AM
Senior Member
 
snyderkv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post

Bump!

Anyone know if it`s possible to purchase only the screen fabric of desirable size from DNP?

Why not send them an email and ask? I'd imagine the answer is no as it's probably more complicated then glueing fabrick onto aluminum and calling it a day.

I was however able to get acustom 2.35:1 screen from them. They do custom screens and is listed in their FAQ.
snyderkv is offline  
post #20 of 31 Old 11-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Newbie
 
LuckyMaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

We just installed a DNP SuperNova Core-11, 110" diagonal, 16:9, with 0.8 gain screen. Wow! What a difference this screen makes. Our older screen was a Draper Lumina (possibly a 1.0 gain). There is no comparison between the two screens. The SuperNova looks good with the lights on, and even better with them off. There are no sparkles in image that we used to see in the Lumina. Also, this screen does such a good job of not absorbing reflected light that the shadow bars (top and bottom) when viewing a 2.4:1 film are barely noticeable.

 

The frame went together easily. Putting the screen on was not hard after we watched the assembly video on the DNP website. Hints: 1. First un tape the screen and roll out the protective layer.  This will separate the screen from the protective layer (the back of the screen had slightly adhered to the protective layer).  2. Roll the screen and protective layer back up and re-tape the leading edge.  When un-rolling the screen, leave it taped to the protective layer. This will cause the screen to roll out with the correct side down. The O-ring tensioning method was really effective in making a smooth flat screen. No future adjustment was necessary.

 

The misty gray screen in the velvet frame looks impressive too.

 

We would recommend this to all.

LuckyMaroon is offline  
post #21 of 31 Old 11-15-2013, 10:30 PM
Newbie
 
anddymaicha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

want to got it,leave it taped to the protective layer. This will cause the screen to roll out with the correct side down. The O-ring tensioning method was really effective in making a smooth flat screen. No future adjustment was necessary.

anddymaicha is offline  
post #22 of 31 Old 08-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Member
 
BakeApples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderkv View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by BakeApples

Bump!

Anyone know if it`s possible to purchase only the screen fabric of desirable size from DNP?

I was however able to get acustom 2.35:1 screen from them. They do custom screens and is listed in their FAQ.
I`m curious, did the 2.35:1 custom screen cost significantly more than a 16:9 screen in about the same size when you bought it?

I contacted some dealers in Sweden where i live and also Norway and the price for a 2.35:1 screen was approx 70% higher than the corresponding screen in 16:9 aspect ratio. I wonder why there is such a large difference in price?
BakeApples is offline  
post #23 of 31 Old 08-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Senior Member
 
snyderkv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
I`m curious, did the 2.35:1 custom screen cost significantly more than a 16:9 screen in about the same size when you bought it?

I contacted some dealers in Sweden where i live and also Norway and the price for a 2.35:1 screen was approx 70% higher than the corresponding screen in 16:9 aspect ratio. I wonder why there is such a large difference in price?
I can't remember but the price for a 110" 2.35 2.3 was around $4700 msrp if you ask DNP. If you go through a California dealer where I live it should cost around $3400 If I remember correctly. My 100" 23-23 cost in the high 2 thousand which is higher inches wise than a 110" wide. If you want CIH of a 100" you'll need to go 125" wide If I remember correctly which was too wide for my condo

Last edited by snyderkv; 08-03-2014 at 10:00 PM.
snyderkv is offline  
post #24 of 31 Old 08-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
same to me,My 100" 23-23 cost in the high 2 thousand which is higher inches wise than a 110" wide. If you want CIH of a 100" you'll need to go 125" wide If I remember correctly which was too wide for my condo.thanks [IMG]http://*******/prvoPz[/IMG]
ockeyloghi is offline  
post #25 of 31 Old 08-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I'm also looking into purchasing a SuperNova 23-23. They are much harder to find out here in the US. It seems everyone is selling Screen Innovations, but few people sell DNP.
kylbarnes is offline  
post #26 of 31 Old 08-08-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,621
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylbarnes View Post
I'm also looking into purchasing a SuperNova 23-23. They are much harder to find out here in the US. It seems everyone is selling Screen Innovations, but few people sell DNP.
You found one dealer.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #27 of 31 Old 08-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
You found one dealer.
Very true.

For anyone looking to purchase a DNP screen, hit up Mike here.
kylbarnes is offline  
post #28 of 31 Old 08-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Member
 
Wondercarrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Id really like to know if anyone has seen the DNP 23-23 and compared it to a Da-lite HP 2.4
ive just ruined my dalite 2.4 and trying to sort out new options since that screen doesnt seem to be available anymore.
ive really liked the HP screen but im told that the DNP while providing the same type of gain also provides a superior image.


also would anyone happen to know if they would make a custom 133" (it shows only up to 120") but they also suggest they make custom screens as well.

thanks
Wondercarrot is offline  
post #29 of 31 Old 08-09-2014, 01:01 PM
Member
 
BakeApples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
also would anyone happen to know if they would make a custom 133" (it shows only up to 120") but they also suggest they make custom screens as well.
They do custom sizes but with a price premium, in my case where i asked for a custom size 2.35:1 screen the premium was 10%.
Their scope screens are already much higher priced than 16:9 screens so for me it was almost double the price. I decided not to go with DNP for this reason.
They clearly need to re-think their pricing for scope screens when competitors in most cases have a 15-20% premium for scope.

Last edited by BakeApples; 08-09-2014 at 03:35 PM.
BakeApples is offline  
post #30 of 31 Old 08-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Member
 
Wondercarrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
They do custom sizes but with a price premium, in my case where i asked for a custom size 2.35:1 screen the premium was 10%.
Their scope screens are already much higher priced than 16:9 screens so for me it was almost double the price. I decided not to go with DNP for this reason.
They clearly need to re-think their pricing for scope screens when competitors in most cases have a 15-20% premium for scope.
got an response back from Mike here and they do not do custom sizes in 16:9 unfortunately.
still like to hear if anyone has compared this screen the the da-lite hp 2.4 material, is it noticeably better - i do like the plasma ish look (a bit of an exagerration) of the hp that ive had, wondering if the DNP has the same style of effect but maybe a little cleaner/tighter?
really stuck here, no HP to be had and the DNP only goes to 120" - do i really need to reduce form 133", its so hard to go smaller.....
Wondercarrot is offline  
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off