Favi vs. Elite Spectrum - Battle of the budget electrics! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 85 Old 07-09-2011, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hmm...you're obviously a lot more handy than I am (had to look up what a cantilever is lol). at least I know it can be done; I have a Ikea set in mind, this was before I contemplated getting a projector. im thinking i could get something to hold the screen made at home depot or something. i'll find a way....thanks for the response.

Misery Entertainment (in development)

- Panasonic AE8000 projector - 102" 2.39 fixed screen (DIY) - Denon AVR x2000 - Polk Monitor 70s & 30s
- Polk CS2 Center - Dayton 12" Sub - HTPC running XBMC - Xbox 360 - Panny BDT110 BD Player - Harmony One remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 Old 07-10-2011, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
A hands on mechanical engineer, son of a handyman/craftsman, so yes I've been lucky in life on how to do this stuff

Here's a picture overhead. Problems you run into is that the entire front end is essentially floating in the air. The only thing that's holding up the weight are the sides and extra 2 brackets in the middle. It's a significant amount of weight; I hope I don't come home one day and find everything on the floor! Getting it to not flex downward and forward is also tricky. Also, the entire system is very front heavy (for obvious reasons) - bolted to the wall permanently is a requirement. It sure was interesting trying to lift this thing over your head, bolt it down and back, while making sure it doesn't tip over on you. Making sure you can fit the entire case width overhead is also pretty critical (I didn't have much space leftover) while making sure that all your bracketry still works. Alignment to make sure the screen doesn't drag when moving up and down is also critical. It honestly was fun putting it together, hoping that it'd come out the way you wanted it to.

post #63 of 85 Old 07-31-2011, 10:11 PM
GG2

Silly question on the favi screen - on which side does the power cord come out? In Amazon pics, it looks like it's on the right hand side, but on the Favi's site the user manual shows it on the left. Also, is the power a regular plug or does it need to be hardwired?

Doing a renovation, so this would definitely help in the design stage.
post #64 of 85 Old 07-31-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG2 View Post
Silly question on the favi screen - on which side does the power cord come out? In Amazon pics, it looks like it's on the right hand side, but on the Favi's site the user manual shows it on the left. Also, is the power a regular plug or does it need to be hardwired?

looks like at the right side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axNUF76WvLQ

post #65 of 85 Old 08-01-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG2 View Post

It does come out on the right side. The power cord has an in-line control box and plugs into a standard AC outlet.
post #66 of 85 Old 08-01-2011, 05:38 PM
GG2

Awesome, thanks.

Looks like I'll also need to fashion a way to hide the cord & the hard wired controller.

Really like viper's design, so I think I may liberally borrow the shadowbox trick.
post #67 of 85 Old 08-03-2011, 09:50 AM

Just got my Electric Favi Screen 120" (HD-120) , all i can say is perfect, im satisfied with the quality of the screen, the place on where i ordered it (Ace Photo Digital, 3rd seller party at amazon) they didnt use UPS/Fedex to deliver the item but used this company called "Home Direct" and all i can say is awesome customer service, they are calling me everytime to update the status of the item, the box is perfect and the delivery guy really handle the item with care. Overall im satisfied.

NOTE: If your installing this thing on a drywall ceiling like i did, i recommend using this anchor http://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Pla...387511&sr=8-39 , i bought mine at home depot.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #68 of 85 Old 08-03-2011, 10:10 AM

More pics on the Favi HD-120 to give you some ideas on how it look likes. The long bar at the bottom of the screen is heavy, thats the one that makes the screen flat. Also This screen is best to install with 3-4 people cuz its kinda heavy.
LL
LL
LL

post #69 of 85 Old 08-03-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Uh, I don't know if those have the ability to hold that much weight vertically in drywall.....be careful that heavy screen doesn't fall down
post #70 of 85 Old 08-04-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper98912 View Post
Uh, I don't know if those have the ability to hold that much weight vertically in drywall.....be careful that heavy screen doesn't fall down
nope, just make sure to use that kind of drywall anchor that i linked above, they are heavy duty.

post #71 of 85 Old 08-06-2011, 09:17 PM

ok

Last edited by biphnest; 08-26-2014 at 09:07 PM.
post #72 of 85 Old 08-07-2011, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopx View Post

nope, just make sure to use that kind of drywall anchor that i linked above, they are heavy duty.

No, still. Those are made to be used in vertical walls, not overhead. And I'm not as concerned with the anchors as I am with the actual drywall holding up without tearing/shearing.
post #73 of 85 Old 08-08-2011, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'd like to hear from people that have ordered http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...y=#ReviewStart to see how they like it. I want to put a tv on the wall behind the screen, so I need a retractable screen. $200 sounds great.
post #74 of 85 Old 09-16-2011, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
hey guys I'm trying to decide on a screen, really dont want rolldown because of waves, but with my setup and room, seems to be the best bet as a fixed screen requires reconfiguring the room.

I see here about budget electric elite screens. I found the favi electric 120 16:9 on amazon for what looks like the best price, I seem to see people talking much lower prices on Favi and others, Elite screens i'm seeing well into the 300's for any electrics. could someone point me to a place that i could find a 120 16/9 screen for the amazing prices you seem to be getting? feel free to PM me.

also, it seems from what i'm reading that electric has less chance of getting waves. does favi seem to be best in this regard as compared to elite or others? i looked at other companies but alot seem to stop at 106 inches.

also, i assume i need to budget 4 inches at the top for the mechanism and another 2 inches or so at the very least for the top part of the screen? I was going to go 135 screen, but then the screen will be like 10 inches off the floor.
post #75 of 85 Old 09-23-2011, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I'd like to hear from people that have ordered http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...y=#ReviewStart to see how they like it. I want to put a tv on the wall behind the screen, so I need a retractable screen. $200 sounds great.

I have the Accuscreen that you are referencing and have used it for over a year. I am very happy with it because it has an RF remote so you don't need line of sight to raise or lower the screen and it hangs without waves. It is important when you hang it to get it perfectly level or you will get waves. I also needed a retractable screen because the screen covers two windows in a game room. I hung black curtains over the windows and extended along most of the wall behind the screen.
post #76 of 85 Old 09-23-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahajr143 View Post

I have the Accuscreen that you are referencing and have used it for over a year. I am very happy with it because it has an RF remote so you don't need line of sight to raise or lower the screen and it hangs without waves. It is important when you hang it to get it perfectly level or you will get waves. I also needed a retractable screen because the screen covers two windows in a game room. I hung black curtains over the windows and extended along most of the wall behind the screen.

What kind of brackets did you use to hold the screen off the wall to clear the windows? Did the screen come with standoff bracket mounts?
post #77 of 85 Old 09-23-2011, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

What kind of brackets did you use to hold the screen off the wall to clear the windows?
Did the screen come with standoff bracket mounts?

The screen may be mounted from the ceiling, but I screwed a 2"x4"x10' into wall studs above the top of the window and mounted the screen to the front of the 2x4. Then I built a valence from 1x6 pine boards that I covered in cheap black cloth from WalMart and screwed into the top of the 2x4. The 2x4 gave me just enough clearance for the screen to clear the window ledge when lowered. If I get a chance, I will try to post some pictures. If I were to do it over I would probably use 1" rigid foam insulation covered in black cloth since it would be much lighter weight.
post #78 of 85 Old 10-01-2011, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Just bought a Favi HD-92 through Amazon. Shipped overnight for $4 with prime. The outer box was a bit damaged but it was quite well packed and the inner box and item was undamaged. The problem is this thing stinks to high hell. I hung it in the garage for now. I wonder what this thing is outgassing? Hopefully this smell dissipates quickly so I can hang it where it belongs. Anyone know how long it lasts? Also, the edges seem to curl inward a bit but hopefully it will flatten out after it hangs for a while.

rcliff
post #79 of 85 Old 10-02-2011, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Smell was gone after hanging in the garage for a day. It might have been mostly packing material that smelled so bad.

Anyway, the screen seems really nice. Motor is very quite and the screen itself is pretty flat. Nice bang for the buck overall.

rcliff
post #80 of 85 Old 10-04-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Ordered a Favi HD-120 and got it a few hours ago and installed it (myself). The outer part had a small bulge/dent in it but nothing worth me sending it back. I got it dead on level and it has nothing but minor (and I mean very minor) waves in it. Like everyone else points out it does bow in at the edges and like everyone else it doesn't affect the image to me. It does not come with screws and wall anchors, the ones you see in the pictures posted here are for the control panel and not to install the screen. The only major gripe I have is the black masking fails miserably at its job but when I watched for more than a few minutes my brained was locked into the middle of the screen and I didn't notice it in my peripheral but I think it's something that some people here may find unacceptable (I thought I did but I got over it pretty quickly).

I rate this screen a solid B.
post #81 of 85 Old 12-22-2011, 03:17 PM

I used the same method - screw a board into the studs, mount the screen on the boards.
It worked very well.
post #82 of 85 Old 12-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Okay, i found this online the other day. Anyone know anything more about it?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...BTkwCjCV1-CjCE

120 inches, has 12v trigger built in, RF remote, etc. All the bells and whistles. Some things i'm finiding online is that it's a Draper unit.

At the price i think i'm going to pull the trigger (and only $30 shipping to boot). I've been waiting for one that has the 12v trigger that's in the budget area.
post #83 of 85 Old 03-11-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
viper98912

Great job and I got 3 months before our home is being built.

No worries on a home w/o a full dedicated HT room. I was going to get one, but opt to get the living room HT that goes into the kitchen and dining into the living where my electric screen will be for full theater and dinner entertainment.

Like the IKEA concept and cant wait to close and get things going for my HT as it sux that now we're in small living space (with family) until then. However, my pull up screen by FAVI is still doing great (almost an year old, since last post) and I do plan to keep this screen for backyard HT in the near future for it portable'ness

Quote:

A hands on mechanical engineer, son of a handyman/craftsman, so yes I've been lucky in life on how to do this stuff

Here's a picture overhead. Problems you run into is that the entire front end is essentially floating in the air. The only thing that's holding up the weight are the sides and extra 2 brackets in the middle. It's a significant amount of weight; I hope I don't come home one day and find everything on the floor! Getting it to not flex downward and forward is also tricky. Also, the entire system is very front heavy (for obvious reasons) - bolted to the wall permanently is a requirement. It sure was interesting trying to lift this thing over your head, bolt it down and back, while making sure it doesn't tip over on you. Making sure you can fit the entire case width overhead is also pretty critical (I didn't have much space leftover) while making sure that all your bracketry still works. Alignment to make sure the screen doesn't drag when moving up and down is also critical. It honestly was fun putting it together, hoping that it'd come out the way you wanted it to.

HT: PJ: ?? , Screen: ??,B&W 684s, 685s, HTM62 / DIY SI 18" / port tuned- 17hz
Onkyo 809, iNuke DSP1000, Oppo 103 , PS4, HTPC- Lenovo q190.
| Media Room: Yamaha RX-A 820, PS3, Vizio 55 (M-Series) with in-wall Polk Audio RC series (5-channel), Sub1200 (dual) w/ DirectTV & PS3 / PLEX | Family Room: LED: Sharp 70" -Smart, DTV Client, PS3, Mirage MX 5.1 / HK Audio.
post #84 of 85 Old 03-22-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:

I received my electric Elite screen and opened it up yesterday. First off, I was very impressed by the packaging. Everything was packaged super high quality and was very tight. Definitely made you say "wow, this is awesome".

After digging though, one of the mounting feet was bent, where the screen must've been rested hard on its end in the box. Then, the bottom rod was bent. And finally after opening it, it looks like the bottom wood stick that attaches to the bottom of the screen material wasn't done perfectly, so there's a slight kink/wave in the bottom of the screen that travels up halfway up the screen.

So, I took a pair of pliers and bent the foot back into place. I also bent the rod back into place with my bare hands, it was pretty easy. As for the kinked bottom of the material, I'm probably going to unstaple it or cut the wood slightly so it I can stretch out the bottom of the material so it's flatter and try to get rid of the wave.

On the screen material itself, it's non-tensioned and you can definitely see it curling SLIGHTLY, and you can also see lines across the screen where they're evenly spaced roll lines. But if you think about how much this screen cost me, and the fact that I'm willing to fix little issues via DIY, this screen has been a great buy and I'm definitely very happy.

One last thing to note - I was looking through the box, and have both the RF and IR remotes, where you were only supposed to get one. Also, the UPC sticker on the side of my screen also says VMAX. So after some digging, it looks like even though the outside of the box was for a Spectrum 100, the manufacturer made a mistake (or ran out and wanted to fill orders) and gave me the upgraded VMAX unit with extra accessories. Woops

Did u buy it through Amazon? If so What supplier? I need them to make the same mistake.
post #85 of 85 Old 04-01-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I ordered the elite spectrum. Can you adjust this screen where you want it to stop when coming down?
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page