Favi vs. Elite Spectrum - Battle of the budget electrics! - AVS Forum
1 2  3 
Screens > Favi vs. Elite Spectrum - Battle of the budget electrics!
viper98912's Avatar viper98912 06:47 PM 03-25-2011
Looking to buy a budget electric screen, in 16:9, 100", and to mate with either an Epson 8350 or Panasonic AE4000.

I know both of these are budget screens, but this would be my first projector so practically anything would be awesome to me at this point.

Elite Spectrum:
- 1.1 gain
- 12V trigger input

Favi:
- 1.3 gain
- Virtually zero complaints/reviews

I like the trigger input (since I'd like everything to start with the push of a single button), but at the same time the Favi seems to get great reviews.

Shift's Avatar Shift 12:42 PM 03-30-2011

I just recently ordered a Favi 100" screen. My last screen was a DIY painted w/ Behr Silver Screen. That has been well over 2-yrs ago and I have not been very active in Home Theater.
So I decided to not go DIY and buy a simple screen and not pay too much out of my pocket so I choose the FAVI.

All I can say right now is I did communicate w/ Favi tech support and they were extremely fast on e-mails that I had questions about the quailty/build and warranty. At least for that point they seem to stand behind their products.

Other then that, my screen is still in transit. I can post a quickie review on this screen when I receive it. The projector which I am going to use with this screen is the Epson 705HD.

Cheers.

~~ Oh, also I did look up the Elite and visual apex sells them. I am sure they are decent and probably compare in many ways to the FAVI screens. So as long as you know you are not expecting much from either, you will be fine. My only caution is I cannot stand waves on the screen and FAVI claims there will not be any to make my movie watching annoying. I guess I will wait and see

viper98912's Avatar viper98912 10:55 AM 04-03-2011
Please let me know what you think when you receive yours. I have heard of issues with waves and Elite screens, and yes I do know not to expect too much. This will be my first projector setup, so anything at all will most likely be jaw dropping, waves or not. Favi seems to get great reviews and there doesn't seem to be wave complaints, but at the present time looks to be sold out on Amazon and other stores, and based off other stores' stock levels it looks like it might not be in stock until mid-May. The other drawback of the Favi is that it doesn't have a 12v trigger input, which is somewhat important to me for a seamless auto-down when turning on my projector. I've thought about maybe rigging up the Favi controller for the input, but I don't know if the motor controller on the Favi will be able to accept a constant 12v input (from the projector), or if it only cycles on instantaneous triggers. So for now, it looks like the Elite is going to be the one that's ordered based on availability and connectivity....
Shift's Avatar Shift 06:26 AM 04-06-2011
Viper -

I just received my yesterday and I feel for $'s that I paid for it, it is a superior product of quality!

It was shipped by UPS and shipped from Harrisburg, PA. The boxing all came in one-piece and I was impressed with how it was packed. No damages even in the hands of UPS, can you believe that??

The Screen I decided to get was not fixed or a pull down and the reason why that is the current house that I am living in is a lease and didn't want to hassle with lag bolts in the owner’s wall.
So I purchased the PULL up screen (100") (FS-HD-100).
It functioned nice and smooth and I even pulled up and down to make sure I would not have any issues and it didn't.

Even though I plan to keep it up (out / not closed away) I know this screen will do its job.

As for waves on the screen, it has a few small little one's (2) that are viewable while staring at it with no image on the screen. Then when I turn on my PJ, it is not affected with the PQ. Unlike my old Da-Lite screen it was very wavy and it did effect the PQ. It was so bad, that I sold it and did go with a DIY fixed screen then.

Overall, I am excited with my Favi purchase and I would say that I would buy from them again!!

I wish I could got with a fixed screen (I can't get keystone set right), but I too would not hesitate to get a Favi for sure!

(I am sitting down and shooting these pics at different angle's)

Cheers!!

viper98912's Avatar viper98912 09:13 PM 04-06-2011
Excellent, so glad to hear that. I think I'm going to email Favi and ask them if their controller can be integrated (spliced) with a projector 12v trigger. Favi seems to be the best bang for the buck out of the 3 main cheap ones that doesn't get bad reviews
Amber Ale's Avatar Amber Ale 05:50 AM 04-07-2011
Pictures look great, I can't find any reviews online anywhere for this screen. For under $200 seams like a great deal.

Anyone own pull up screens made by Elite Screens or Da-Lite? (both cost more than the Favi)
Shift's Avatar Shift 07:19 AM 04-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Ale View Post

Pictures look great, I can't find any reviews online anywhere for this screen. For under $200 seams like a great deal.

Anyone own pull up screens made by Elite Screens or Da-Lite? (both cost more than the Favi)

Thanks!! I honestly will say that the picture in person is much and I mean MUCH better in person. Colors has more depth and details is GREAT!

I seen some reviews and some are good, some are not. I guess it is a hit or miss. Either way, this screen will get me by for one-year until I decide to either purchase this house or buy another (when it comes to that). So until then, this will do just great .

Check Amazon.com and there are some reviews on Favi screens.

Here is a couple that got some reviews 100" & 120":
http://www.amazon.com/FAVI-16-100-In...owViewpoints=1

http://www.amazon.com/FAVI-16-120-In...owViewpoints=1
Amber Ale's Avatar Amber Ale 04:54 AM 04-08-2011
I found this on another site. Favi makes a low cost high gain (they claim the gain is 6) screen.
Shift's Avatar Shift 06:41 AM 04-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Ale View Post
I found this on another site. Favi makes a low cost high gain (they claim the gain is 6) screen.
And here is what it said on couple post below that link you posted:

Quote:
Got a reply from Retail Ace concerning the gain:

"Thank you for contacting us. I'll try and clear up the confusion for you. The gain for our fixed frame screens is 2.4

The gain of 6 is for glass beaded screens, and the gain of 1.3 is for the matte white electric and pull down screens we sell.

I do apologize for the confusion."

Retail Ace and Favi share the same business address so I think they are the same.

2.4 sounds pretty good to me!
With that being said, glass beaded screens suck! I had one and I was tired of looking at the sparkles that would show on the screen. So just keep that in mind. My screen is 1.3 gain BTW
adrift's Avatar adrift 07:47 AM 04-19-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post

Viper -

I just received my yesterday and I feel for $'s that I paid for it, it is a superior product of quality!

It was shipped by UPS and shipped from Harrisburg, PA. The boxing all came in one-piece and I was impressed with how it was packed. No damages even in the hands of UPS, can you believe that??

The Screen I decided to get was not fixed or a pull down and the reason why that is the current house that I am living in is a lease and didn't want to hassle with lag bolts in the owner's wall.
So I purchased the PULL up screen (100") (FS-HD-100).
It functioned nice and smooth and I even pulled up and down to make sure I would not have any issues and it didn't.

Even though I plan to keep it up (out / not closed away) I know this screen will do its job.

As for waves on the screen, it has a few small little one's (2) that are viewable while staring at it with no image on the screen. Then when I turn on my PJ, it is not affected with the PQ. Unlike my old Da-Lite screen it was very wavy and it did effect the PQ. It was so bad, that I sold it and did go with a DIY fixed screen then.

Overall, I am excited with my Favi purchase and I would say that I would buy from them again!!

I wish I could got with a fixed screen (I can't get keystone set right), but I too would not hesitate to get a Favi for sure!

(I am sitting down and shooting these pics at different angle's)

Cheers!!

Hey Shift, Amber Ale directed my attention to this thread from one I recently created on portable screens. You mention that you plan on keeping the screen open... do you forsee any issues doing that? I had found another poster sometime back mentioning possible issues with the sides of the screen warping or the screen becoming more wavy by keeping the screen open for long periods of time, and I just wanted to see if that's been your experience, or if you think its at all likely.

Thanks!
viper98912's Avatar viper98912 07:01 PM 04-19-2011
Well guys I just ended up purchasing the Elite Spectrum 100" electric on Amazon. The Favi is on backorder for a while on Amazon, and the Favi doesn't have a 12v trigger, which was very important to me. We'll see how this screen works out, in the end it wasn't much money
adrift's Avatar adrift 07:40 PM 04-19-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper98912 View Post

Well guys I just ended up purchasing the Elite Spectrum 100" electric on Amazon. The Favi is on backorder for a while on Amazon, and the Favi doesn't have a 12v trigger, which was very important to me. We'll see how this screen works out, in the end it wasn't much money

I couldn't wait for Shift to reply, and went ahead and ordered the 100" Favi from Amazon earlier today; So if that's the one you were trying to order, it might have been me who got it put into backorder status. (sorry ) I figured, all things considered, $200 bucks ain't too much of a gamble.
Scopeboy's Avatar Scopeboy 08:33 PM 04-19-2011
Shift, just curious, where is your center channel speaker if you have the pull up version?
viper98912's Avatar viper98912 03:46 AM 04-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post

I couldn't wait for Shift to reply, and went ahead and ordered the 100" Favi from Amazon earlier today; So if that's the one you were trying to order, it might have been me who got it put into backorder status. (sorry ) I figured, all things considered, $200 bucks ain't too much of a gamble.

It's been on and off of backorder for a few weeks now, I guess they trickle in a few and then sell out quickly since many people are looking for this Favi.
la9ers's Avatar la9ers 09:39 AM 04-20-2011
Quote:

It's been on and off of backorder for a few weeks now, I guess they trickle in a few and then sell out quickly since many people are looking for this Favi.

I'm having issues with the FAVI screen that I purchased from amazon a few months ago. I placed a new order on April 4th so that I can exchange it but its still on back order.....
la9ers's Avatar la9ers 09:42 AM 04-20-2011
Quote:

I'm thinking of going with the Elite screen instead of waiting for FAVI.... Is the Elite Spectrum casing white or black? Can you send me the link to the Elite spectrum you ordered?

thanks.
adrift's Avatar adrift 09:57 AM 04-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by la9ers View Post

I'm having issues with the FAVI screen that I purchased from amazon a few months ago. I placed a new order on April 4th so that I can exchange it but its still on back order.....

Hey la9ers, curious, what issues are you experiencing?
la9ers's Avatar la9ers 10:01 AM 04-20-2011
Quote:

Hey la9ers, curious, what issues are you experiencing?

Its hard to explain but on the edeges of the screen they tend to curl up, still watchable but I tend to be picky... This is my second FAVI screen, the first one had a defect in the middle of the screen... For the price its good but I'm thinking to of going with Elite..... not sure what to do yet.
adrift's Avatar adrift 10:12 AM 04-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by la9ers View Post

Its hard to explain but on the edeges of the screen they tend to curl up, still watchable but I tend to be picky... This is my second FAVI screen, the first one had a defect in the middle of the screen... For the price its good but I'm thinking to of going with Elite..... not sure what to do yet.

Ah. I think that's exactly the issue I was wondering about. Hmm. Guess I'll have to see how it goes when I get mine.
viper98912's Avatar viper98912 06:35 PM 04-20-2011
I think the casing is supposed to be black. If you search for elite spectrum 100 on amazon, it should come up. although it seems to be sold out from amazon and now available through other sellers.
la9ers's Avatar la9ers 12:11 PM 04-21-2011
I finally found a screen at a decent price... I'm sending back my FAVI screen to amazon...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=D177-1168
viper98912's Avatar viper98912 05:57 PM 04-21-2011
Yes, accuscreen was the other one I was looking at. If you look closely at specs, it seems like the Favi screen is the Focupix screen, the Accuscreen is another brand as well, etc.
Shift's Avatar Shift 01:14 PM 04-27-2011
Mine is working like the day I got it. NO ISSUES or Complaints.

While I did talk to Favi if they recommend if I should close up the screen or allowed to keep it open when not in use. The tech recommend that I should close it when not in use. No real big reasons to why.

So I keep the screen opened 6 days out of the week and close it Sunday for 24 hrs. Not sure if this does anythng, but I do it to make sure that the casing / mechanics of the screen assembly is properly working / functioning.

Overall, I am happy w/ my Favi.
adrift's Avatar adrift 01:17 PM 04-27-2011
Quote:

Mine is working like the day I got it. NO ISSUES or Complaints.

While I did talk to Favi if they recommend if I should close up the screen or allowed to keep it open when not in use. The tech recommend that I should close it when not in use. No real big reasons to why.

So I keep the screen opened 6 days out of the week and close it Sunday for 24 hrs. Not sure if this does anythng, but I do it to make sure that the casing / mechanics of the screen assembly is properly working / functioning.

Overall, I am happy w/ my Favi.

Good to know Shift. I just got my screen late yesterday, but haven't been able to pull it out of the box yet.
adrift's Avatar adrift 06:29 PM 04-27-2011
Well, got the Favi screen open.

First the bad. I see 2 small holes in the screen that are very noticeable when you go right up to it. If looking at the black back of the screen, light pokes through. Also, there's a smudge of what looks like dirt or oil at the top left of the screen that I'm not sure how I'm going to get out. From a seated position approx. 12' away I can still make out the largest of the small holes and the dirt, but they're not too noticeable without the projector on. I'd probably have to tell a guest where to look to even see them. Unfortunately I'm getting my projector (an Optoma HD20) RMA'd so I can't see what it looks like with the projector on it. I'm assuming the blemishes will stand out more with bright light, but may not be too big of a deal.

The screen appears to lean slightly back fully opened and teeters a bit precariously if handled too much, but I don't think that will be much of an issue. I can probably prop it forward without much trouble.

For as large as it is, it's not too heavy, and setting it up was as easy as opening the case and pulling up. I had to squeeze the scissored supports in the back to get it to its full height, but not too much. There are very slight ripples in the screen which I think I can only see because the light above the screen is casting very subtle shadows. The sides are not bowed at all currently. They look very straight.

With the exception of the small holes in the screen, I'm pretty happy with what I got for what I paid for so far, but the true test will probably be in about a week when I get the projector back.
viper98912's Avatar viper98912 07:14 PM 04-27-2011
My 100" elite spectrum electric should be here friday, along with some new goodies from monoprice. My projector is on order, but that'll probably be another week or so....
Shift's Avatar Shift 08:04 PM 04-27-2011
Quote:

Good to know Shift. I just got my screen late yesterday, but haven't been able to pull it out of the box yet.

Which model did ya get??

Is it like mine??
adrift's Avatar adrift 08:11 PM 04-27-2011
Quote:

Which model did ya get??

Is it like mine??

Yep, I think its the same one. Same model number.

Here's a picture of the holes by the way. Not too obvious in the pic, but I'm working with a crummy iphone camera.

viper98912's Avatar viper98912 03:53 AM 04-28-2011
I can definitely see the holes, I say you return it.
adrift's Avatar adrift 06:49 AM 04-28-2011
Quote:

I can definitely see the holes, I say you return it.

Yeah, I went ahead and submitted a product issue form to them. Since I just received it, I'm wondering if they're going to want me to send it back to Amazon or to them. The Elite sounds pretty cool, but I'm perfectly fine with the Favi except for the holes.
1 2  3 

Up
Mobile  Desktop