post #91 of 429 Old 05-25-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

I've listed my 110x62 (126"diag 16x9) HP2.8 for sale in the AVS classifieds in case anyone is interested. Really hate giving it up (have had it 4 yrs), but have decided that I really do want to go larger.

Well, I had a good offer on my screen right away, but then found out that the shipping cost across the country was almost $400! So I've re-listed it but only for local pick-up; so anyone in the SF Bay Area interested in a HP2.8 can check it out in the AVS Classifieds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 429 Old 05-25-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

Well, I had a good offer on my screen right away, but then found out that the shipping cost across the country was almost $400!

Check with ups freight .. I can not imagine Dalite pays $400 to ship
post #93 of 429 Old 05-25-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Check with ups freight .. I can not imagine Dalite pays $400 to ship

The quote I had was from the freight company that Dalite uses. I also talked to Dalite about just how to pack it up, and they warned me that the shipping cost might approach $400. But yes, I imagine that they get a better deal because of their volume.
post #94 of 429 Old 05-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Maybe if the buyer is not in a hurry you could use a normal shipping company? I was quoted $800 to send my projector from Canada to Sweden by UPS. A shipping company will send my projector, 119 inch HP pulldown plus two moving boxes for $500. The crux is it takes 43 days. Well, I can live with that considering the price delta.

Regarding wrinkles and waves. I have the 119' diagonal model C HP without CSR (mounted upside down none the less!) and yes there are some waves but I very rarely notice them when watching - basically never. I keep the screen in place all the time though and don't roll it up an down.
post #95 of 429 Old 05-25-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler View Post

Maybe if the buyer is not in a hurry you could use a normal shipping company? I was quoted $800 to send my projector from Canada to Sweden by UPS. A shipping company will send my projector, 119 inch HP pulldown plus two moving boxes for $500. The crux is it takes 43 days. Well, I can live with that considering the price delta.

Regarding wrinkles and waves. I have the 119' diagonal model C HP without CSR (mounted upside down none the less!) and yes there are some waves but I very rarely notice them when watching - basically never. I keep the screen in place all the time though and don't roll it up an down.

As noted, my quote was from a 'normal shipping company' (ABF Freight), the one Dalite used in sending me my original screen.

Yes, I am considering the Model C (without CSR), and would be leaving it down all the time, as you do. I would also get it with ~ 10" of black at the top, so that I could easily adjust how low I would want the visible screen to be. But I still haven't decided on this or a fixed frame model (Cinema Contour).
post #96 of 429 Old 05-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As noted, my quote was from a 'normal shipping company' (ABF Freight), the one Dalite used in sending me my original screen.

Yes, I am considering the Model C (without CSR), and would be leaving it down all the time, as you do. I would also get it with ~ 10" of black at the top, so that I could easily adjust how low I would want the visible screen to be. But I still haven't decided on this or a fixed frame model (Cinema Contour).

Ah, sorry. Missed that. I guess they have a minimum fee which makes sending small stuff uneconomical.

I have 2 ft blackdrop on mine (that I don't use). I took the pull down because it's much cheaper and it would be a temporary installation since I'm moving. If you're thinking long term and can afford it I would suggest the cinema contour. It looks nicer!

I'm planning a fixed installation with masking panels when I have a more permanent living situation. Maybe already in my next flat.
post #97 of 429 Old 05-27-2011, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
a little bit out of topic.. can any one confirm the biggest size 16:9 both HP and HCHP without having seam? I am planning to order 156" 16:9 screen.
post #98 of 429 Old 05-27-2011, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercop View Post

a little bit out of topic.. can any one confirm the biggest size 16:9 both HP and HCHP without having seam? I am planning to order 156" 16:9 screen.

Call or chat with a Dalite Customer Service person ..
http://www.da-lite.com/products/
post #99 of 429 Old 05-27-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

72" is the largest Height one can get with the HP material that is seamless.
post #100 of 429 Old 05-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

72" is the largest Height one can get with the HP material that is seamless.

I just got this answer from dalite..

"The largest cut to size pieces of High Power and High Contrast High Power we can make would be 96"H x 170.75"W, which is 196" diagonal.

Best regards,

Kevin Mikaloff, CTS, LEED AP

Sales Partner"

I am confused now.
post #101 of 429 Old 05-27-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just got this answer from dalite..

"The largest cut to size pieces of High Power and High Contrast High Power we can make would be 96"H x 170.75"W, which is 196" diagonal.

Best regards,

Kevin Mikaloff, CTS, LEED AP

Sales Partner"

I am confused now.

Me too. The website says that HP screens up to 72" H will be seamless. Maybe they can make larger ones, as the info you received, but with seams.
post #102 of 429 Old 05-27-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Me too. The website says that HP screens up to 72" H will be seamless. Maybe they can make larger ones, as the info you received, but with seams.

Knowing dDalite, that 72" may have not been updated when they dropped the 2.8 for the 2.4.
post #103 of 429 Old 05-27-2011, 02:03 PM

well, just recieved and installed my screen, first impressions........
WOW, compared to my older 1.0 gain matte white this thing rocks, the blacks are a little greyish.. but something i can definately live with.

Have to move a fair bit of center (at least in my room) to see it dim, but sitting on axis, with my Pearl projecting from behind at 43 inches to the center of the screen (lens height from floor, also center of screen from floor) looks amazing. My Pearl now has new life!!

I can take some screen shots later tonight when i finish work and post them..

regards,
Gareth
post #104 of 429 Old 05-27-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth_davies View Post

well, just recieved and installed my screen, first impressions........
WOW, compared to my older 1.0 gain matte white this thing rocks, the blacks are a little greyish.. but something i can definately live with.

Have to move a fair bit of center (at least in my room) to see it dim, but sitting on axis, with my Pearl projecting from behind at 43 inches to the center of the screen (lens height from floor, also center of screen from floor) looks amazing. My Pearl now has new life!!

I can take some screen shots later tonight when i finish work and post them..

regards,
Gareth

Is yours the HC (gray) or the White HP?
post #105 of 429 Old 05-28-2011, 08:28 AM

Hi I ordered the HCHP, i must say, its not really grey in my opinion though. Sort of off white to me.
As i mentioned the blacks are not as good as with the 1.0 gain cheapy i had but I can live with that, my wife said it looks like a big a)) plasma.. thats good enough for me.. instant WAF!

I may even consider frame mounting it , that would keep any wrinklies away with a bit of luck, should i keep this rolled down? Ive noticed some tiny bits of what i think is the paint or coating on the black borders , ive only rolled it up 3 times whilst positioning it etc, and that kind of made me think of leaving it rolled down permanently or making a frame for it? suggestions??

regards,
Gareth
post #106 of 429 Old 05-28-2011, 10:34 AM

Liked: 12
Another Dalite option to consider is the new silverlite 2.5 material...I will say this, it has the color and texture of duct tape. In my paticular setup (going off samples at the moment), I much prefer the HP 2.4 over the Silverlite 2.5, mainly to do with the viewing angle.

"Without music life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Nietzsche

post #107 of 429 Old 05-28-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac8d4 View Post

Another Dalite option to consider is the new silverlite 2.5 material...I will say this, it has the color and texture of duct tape. In my paticular setup (going off samples at the moment), I much prefer the HP 2.4 over the Silverlite 2.5, mainly to do with the viewing angle.

I ordered the silver light with the HC and did not leave it on for photos, it was AWFUL! Wife said what is that, get that off of there!.. That should sum it up fairly good..
post #108 of 429 Old 05-31-2011, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

just have a confirmation for Dalite regarding the biggest size with no seam.

"Thank you for your request and inquiry into Da-Lite products. You can
have a viewing area height of 90" in a fixed frame screen to stay within
the limitation of having no seam."
post #109 of 429 Old 05-31-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

just have a confirmation for Dalite regarding the biggest size with no seam.

"Thank you for your request and inquiry into Da-Lite products. You can
have a viewing area height of 90" in a fixed frame screen to stay within
the limitation of having no seam."

Wow, that's quite different from what is all over their website (which states that 72" is the highest a seamless HP screen can be). You would think they would clear this up on the site.
post #110 of 429 Old 06-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Here's a quick and dirty test on a sample of the HC HP. Room is pretty bright with white walls, ceiling except the one closest to the screen which is covered by a black curtain.

I'm shooting on a 264 cm wide HP 2.4 from 400 cm, 130 cm above the floor. Seating position is at 300 cm, eyes 80 cm above the floor. First pic is under the projector, second about 100 cm to the side, third about 170 cm to the side, fourth way out on the side and the last almost beside the screen.

The other screen sample is the Da-Lite Matte White gain 1.0 for comparison.

As you can see, the HC HP rather surprisingly hold it's brightness pretty well with the normal HP as long as you stay within the screen boundary. Outside it quickly drops to a gain below one. The normal HP doesn't seem to drop much below one no matter how far to the side you go.

More to follow...
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #111 of 429 Old 06-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Here's a black test pattern with light shining from the side directly on the screen. Again pics taken from under the PJ or 100 or 170 cm to the side. Lastly a pic that shows you the seating arrangements and the positions from where I took the other pictures. First pics from the sofa directly under the PJ, second at the edge of the sofa (which is about 10 cm inside the edge of the screen), third from the armchair on the right (which thus is significantly outside the edge of the screen).

As you can see, the HC HP is clearly superior at rejecting light from the side, which would also mean it would be better at rejecting reflected light from the sides in addition to not spreading as might light in the first place.

These tests actually made me change my position and I'm considering getting the HC HP for my new apartment. (Moving in a couple of weeks). The viewing angle is not as narrow as I thought and it rejects stray/reflected light significantly better than the HP2.4.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #112 of 429 Old 06-05-2011, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Interesting Drexler. Thanks.

I'm glad it's going to work out for you.

(Although from the photos the viewing angles look incredibly narrow to me).
post #113 of 429 Old 06-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Interesting Drexler. Thanks.

I'm glad it's going to work out for you.

(Although from the photos the viewing angles look incredibly narrow to me).

Well, as long as I'm sitting in the couch it's very bright, significantly brighter than the 1.0 reference. And the PJ isn't actually located at the centre of the couch (it's closer to the left side and I'm taking the pics from the right) so I figure I can get in a four seater and still get a bright image for all seats.

Sure, every once in a while I would have more than three guests watching a movie, but that's quite rare. I'll have to weigh the pro's with a better black level and contrast ratio against the con of a few times where a few people will get a dimmer seat. I'll wait and see how much treatment I can do to the new room and its size before I'll make up my mind.

Everything is a compromise in life.
post #114 of 429 Old 06-06-2011, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler View Post
Well, as long as I'm sitting in the couch it's very bright, significantly brighter than the 1.0 reference. And the PJ isn't actually located at the centre of the couch (it's closer to the left side and I'm taking the pics from the right) so I figure I can get in a four seater and still get a bright image for all seats.

Sure, every once in a while I would have more than three guests watching a movie, but that's quite rare. I'll have to weigh the pro's with a better black level and contrast ratio against the con of a few times where a few people will get a dimmer seat. I'll wait and see how much treatment I can do to the new room and its size before I'll make up my mind.

Everything is a compromise in life.
Truth be told, guest love the image no matter how bad it is, they don't typically have anything like it at their house. All that really matters is your seat is what you want to see, guest are guest, they don't pay for the theater, they just enjoy it! I have guest that sit outside the viewing cone of my HP 2.8 and rave about the image.. some day I will make them sit in the captains chair and watch their eyeballs melt! Don't compromise on your enjoyment, make the compromise on the guest seats!
post #115 of 429 Old 06-11-2011, 01:46 PM

Hi folks,

I finally got my HCHP sample a few days ago and I did some contrast testing in my non-dedicated room on a bunch of different high contrast materials (and the VS1.5) offered by Da-Lite. All of the contrast loss was from light reflected back onto the screen and samples from a white ceiling and light colored walls. For reference the projector used was a JVC RS40 which is mounted at a height just slightly below the top of my BOC screen.

The samples, from left to right, are High Contrast Cinema Vision, High Contrast High Power, Silver Lite 2.5, Silver Matte, Video Spectra 1.5, High Contrast Da-Matt, High Contrast Matte White. Further description of the test scenario can be inferred from the filename.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #116 of 429 Old 06-11-2011, 01:46 PM

... remainder of pics.
LL
LL
post #117 of 429 Old 06-14-2011, 10:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, I've sold my 110x62 HP2.8 screen and ordered a larger 'hybrid' (2.0) screen, 144x72, HP 2.4 (white, not the gray HC HP2.4). I've been playing for the last several months--and now last several weeks with my old screen down--showing my RS20 on my wall to verify that this is the size I want. From a ~12 ft viewing distance I will have a 128x72 16x9 pic, and then for 2.35 I will zoom out to have a 144" Wx 61"H pic (with black bars above and below). I really love the immersive feeling this 'really big' pic gives.

I have samples of the 2.4 HP material, the regular white and the gray HC version. I decided on the regular white version since by sitting so close the pj lens is not right behind my head, and the wider viewing angle of the white HP is better. With the gray HC version I notice brightness variation (at the 4 corners where I had the samples attached) from my viewing position. It might be that one would never notice this with normal viewing material, but with a 100% IRE test pattern it was pretty obvious, while it was much more uniform with the white HP samples. (And I have black velvet-like material on my ceiling and side walls, out about 8 ft from the screen wall--and dark drapes on the back wall--so that reflections are not a problem in my room.)

I'm getting the Da-Snap frame, which is 1.5" square frame, with the screen material on the back (this is what I had for my old screen and liked it very much). For the 128x72 16x9 viewing, this will have 8" wide 'black bars' on both sides. I doubt this will be objectionable, but if it is it will be simple to get two 72"x8" pieces of styrofoam, 1" thick, wrap them in 'proto-star' flocked velvet material, and slide them in to each side to form a mask to a 128x72 pic. Really looking forward to the arrival of the new screen.

PS I plan for this to be my LAST screen!
post #118 of 429 Old 06-15-2011, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I've sold my 110x62 HP2.8 screen and ordered a larger 'hybrid' (2.0) screen, 144x72, HP 2.4 (white, not the gray HC HP2.4). I've been playing for the last several months--and now last several weeks with my old screen down--showing my RS20 on my wall to verify that this is the size I want. From a ~12 ft viewing distance I will have a 128x72 16x9 pic, and then for 2.35 I will zoom out to have a 144" Wx 61"H pic (with black bars above and below). I really love the immersive feeling this 'really big' pic gives.

I have samples of the 2.4 HP material, the regular white and the gray HC version. I decided on the regular white version since by sitting so close the pj lens is not right behind my head, and the wider viewing angle of the white HP is better. With the gray HC version I notice brightness variation (at the 4 corners where I had the samples attached) from my viewing position. It might be that one would never notice this with normal viewing material, but with a 100% IRE test pattern it was pretty obvious, while it was much more uniform with the white HP samples. (And I have black velvet-like material on my ceiling and side walls, out about 8 ft from the screen wall--and dark drapes on the back wall--so that reflections are not a problem in my room.)

I'm getting the Da-Snap frame, which is 1.5" square frame, with the screen material on the back (this is what I had for my old screen and liked it very much). For the 128x72 16x9 viewing, this will have 8" wide 'black bars' on both sides. I doubt this will be objectionable, but if it is it will be simple to get two 72"x8" pieces of styrofoam, 1" thick, wrap them in 'proto-star' flocked velvet material, and slide them in to each side to form a mask to a 128x72 pic. Really looking forward to the arrival of the new screen.

PS I plan for this to be my LAST screen!

Just wondering what you ended up getting for your old screen and if you did have to ship it, what means did you use?
post #119 of 429 Old 06-15-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just wondering what you ended up getting for your old screen and if you did have to ship it, what means did you use?

See pm.
post #120 of 429 Old 06-16-2011, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Truth be told, guest love the image no matter how bad it is, they don't typically have anything like it at their house. All that really matters is your seat is what you want to see, guest are guest, they don't pay for the theater, they just enjoy it! I have guest that sit outside the viewing cone of my HP 2.8 and rave about the image.. some day I will make them sit in the captains chair and watch their eyeballs melt! Don't compromise on your enjoyment, make the compromise on the guest seats!
I generally agree with this.

Guests are going to be blown away in a decent set up no matter where they sit, including with the HP screens.

However, for me, it just nagged at me that I could optimise my image for a narrow range of seating. If I was in the sweet spot I knew my guests weren't seeing the image I was seeing, and visa versa. One can think about it like "Guests won't notice or care, they'll be impressed in any case." But for me that's also like thinking before I show my system to someone "Well, I could knock down my brightness somewhat, screw up my gamma, get the color off a bit, and probably even soften the image a bit if I wanted to...but the typical guest will still be impressed!"

Yes...but I want them to experience what the system can really do, not merely stick with whatever the average joe might be impressed with.
So it just stuck in my craw that we all couldn't see the same image in many circumstances.

This, of course, is just how things affected me in my set up.

That said, I'm betting the new gray HP screen should look amazing in the sweet spot, with it's brightness and added ambient light rejection ability.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page